Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thank god for narrowband filters. Without them I would have spent the weekend cursing the moon.

Click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Visiting grandparents in Oklahoma, first three taken back in July, last two from thanksgiving earlier this week:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Impact Damage posted:

Visiting grandparents in Oklahoma, first three taken back in July, last two from thanksgiving earlier this week:

These are great, very clean!

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Impact Damage posted:

this is good stuff. may i ask how you took these pictures?

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

London Eye. by Clwn, on Flickr

Southbank Winter Festival. by Clwn, on Flickr

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
Do you guys use the viewfinder or live view for focusing? I was practicing some the other night, and focusing was the hardest part for me. The viewfinder was dark, and the live view was just not that good. What are some techniques do you use? I am using a Rebel XSI.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I usually just manually put the focus to infinity and pull it back a hair. :effort:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

phootnote posted:

Do you guys use the viewfinder or live view for focusing? I was practicing some the other night, and focusing was the hardest part for me. The viewfinder was dark, and the live view was just not that good. What are some techniques do you use? I am using a Rebel XSI.

You could jot down a few aperture / distance combos from http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html for your preferred night-lens and then just dial in the foot-distance on the lens barrel markers? For long exposures you're tripodded anyway, so closed down apertures aren't going to be a problem and the resulting big DOF means you should get things in focus without too much hassle :)

Of course if you want thin DOF long exposures go right ahead :o:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

phootnote posted:

Split Prism and Manual focus is how i do it. Unless the scene is completely dark my AF has few issues. Some consumer grade cameras will have AF hunting issues in really dark situations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I point my car at a tree, turn the headlights on, and focus the camera on that. A flashlight can work too but the tree will have to be a lot closer. Then I'll take a couple test shots at high ISO. Take picture, zoom in on a star to check focus, adjust if needed.

Someday I'll have a proper lens that has a focus scale on it, but today is not that day.

You can also focus on the moon if it's out.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.

nervana posted:

this is good stuff. may i ask how you took these pictures?

Camera + Tripod. I happened to be using an X100 but you could achieve it with anything, the odd color palette has to do with how I set my white balance. I took another look at them: first ones were taken on a clear night with the WB set to 5100K and the kind of apocolypsey ones were taken on a cloudy night with the WB set to 5950K. No particular reason for those WB choices besides setting them during the day and just kind of sticking with them throughout the night. Exposure times were ~30 seconds.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My first picture of Jupiter with moons!

:sigh:

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

My first picture of Jupiter with moons!

:sigh:

Nice! Jupiter's tough to get both the moons and the disc at the same time, without multiple exposures and a bit 'o HDR, it's just so bright!

dedian fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 6, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

dedian posted:

Nice! Jupiter's tough to get both moons and the disc at the same time, without multiple exposures and a bit 'o HDR, it's just so bright!
Yeah, I purposefully overexposed just to get the moons to show up. Moisture in the air last night (despite being -20) made it impossible to get any details on the planet itself. Does it make sense that I saw 4 moons (3 visible in the picture with the 4th being directly over Jupiter's right side)?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Fireworks! :toot:

I had to end up shooting through glass, I posted a brief explanation about how on my blog if anybody cares: http://ryanmkelly.com/blog/hollydazzle-fireworks-and-why-a-scarf-really-is-a-photographers-best-friend/12/6/2012

And then I found that this thing exists: http://www.lenskirt.com/ It's $50 but even if I only do this once or twice a year it's bound to be worth not having to deal with the hassle of creating a gobo each time.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Yeah, I purposefully overexposed just to get the moons to show up. Moisture in the air last night (despite being -20) made it impossible to get any details on the planet itself. Does it make sense that I saw 4 moons (3 visible in the picture with the 4th being directly over Jupiter's right side)?

Sure - That's Europa, if you shot around 9PM Central time? To roughly find that out, I just went into Stellarium and zoomed in on Jupiter and went back in time to last night.

Edit: nevermind, I don't know, I was on the wrong date :D But, that's basically how you figure out which is which anyway :D

dedian fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2012

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BobTheCow posted:

Fireworks! :toot:

Thank you both for the fireworks pics (they're great) and the lens skirt thing!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
A pic I have been shooting last week. This was the first time I actually used colored gels in my remotely operated flashes. Very fun, indeed. :)

Exposure time one minute at F4, using 200 ISO Fuji film.

Modena as la petite ville lumiere di maxmars70, su Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

o2 Arena. by Clwn, on Flickr

Canary Wharf. by Clwn, on Flickr

Clown fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 9, 2012

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Raise the drawbridge by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Scoop by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

HMS Belfast by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Used the cheat guide of shooting iso 6400 first, getting the exposure time, then putting it on manual and setting the exposure time to 64x the iso 6400 test shot @iso 100.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I cheat even more by using liveview. Your way sounds like too many maths for me to think about!

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Testing out a QHY8L one shot colour CCD camera on IC410 the other night. I had some issues with the camera not sitting square in the focuser (now fixed my tapping in a couple of extra thumbscrews) which resulted in stretched stars and some oddness. Hopefully most of the issues are fixed now so I can test it without distractions.

I'm still working out colour calibration issues and processing with it, but it's coming along.

ic410 by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Also Jupiter, composed from a 2 minute video taken with an OpticStar PL-130c high speed USB camera. Think fancy webcam with a cooling arrangement.

Jupiter, Io and Ganymede by tmarkuk, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/12/12/geminid-meteor-shower-thursday/1761763/

Meteor shower tomorrow night! :toot: I've never shot anything like this before, any tips? I'm in Virginia, so it should be decent conditions, I just need to figure out a place to bug out to without light pollution. How far away from a city center do I need to be for that? Or is it as I expect and wildly variant from one place to another?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess what, there's a website for that!

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

short version: you're pretty much screwed unless you can make the drive to Monongahela.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

xzzy posted:

short version: you're pretty much screwed unless you can make the drive to Monongahela.

Starting with this and then googling around for more tips has led me down a rabbit hole I wasn't prepared for. Holy hell astrophotography is a whole other world, and I am completely unfamiliar with it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Jekub posted:

Testing out a QHY8L one shot colour CCD camera on IC410 the other night. I had some issues with the camera not sitting square in the focuser (now fixed my tapping in a couple of extra thumbscrews) which resulted in stretched stars and some oddness. Hopefully most of the issues are fixed now so I can test it without distractions.

I'm still working out colour calibration issues and processing with it, but it's coming along.

ic410 by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Also Jupiter, composed from a 2 minute video taken with an OpticStar PL-130c high speed USB camera. Think fancy webcam with a cooling arrangement.

Jupiter, Io and Ganymede by tmarkuk, on Flickr
Just wanted to say these are glorious. I'm still waiting for a clear night -- there hasn't been a decent one since I got all my gear more than a month ago. :(

BobTheCow posted:

Holy hell astrophotography is a whole other world
This is very true.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

xzzy posted:

Whoa. The closest actual dark to me is out in the middle of Lake Huron.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Whoa. The closest actual dark to me is out in the middle of Lake Huron.

I think the blue/green areas are actually "okay" for most people.. that is it'll be fairly dark, but maybe not dark enough for an astronomy nerd to resolve dim objects.

But I bet city glow would be low enough that you could get some meteor shots without issue.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah I'm banking on blue, or green if I get lazy and don't feel like driving 90 miles.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

InternetJunky posted:

I'm still waiting for a clear night -- there hasn't been a decent one since I got all my gear more than a month ago. :(

This is astrophotography, some lucky people live near deserts or mountains and can drive out to clear, dark skies. Some of us do not and have to do the best we can with whatever the weather chooses to do on any given night. Last night was clear for two hours, followed by a freezing fog out of no where.

You get used to looking at all your expensive kit while you wait for that perfect clear night, which will no doubt neatly coincide with a full moon anyway. You spend the time patiently checking and testing everything, safe in the knowledge that something annoying is not going to behave itself anyway regardless of what you do.

Eventually though, it all works out and you get to take a picture and everything seems worth it in the end.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
If you live somewhere that gets snow, this site may be of interest as well:

https://sites.google.com/site/3davel/home/light-pollution

It's more or less the same data with some more recent updates, but recalculated based on snow coverage from the original data set (which registered some areas as brighter than they are without snow). It gives you a bit better idea what the light pollution is without snow on the ground.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Used the cheat guide of shooting iso 6400 first, getting the exposure time, then putting it on manual and setting the exposure time to 64x the iso 6400 test shot @iso 100.

I just wanted to share that with my NEX I get better results if I open up aperture (e.g. F2 instead of the F8 I usually shoot with) before upping ISO.

A new night shot, haven't cleaned negative from scratches but I like the lights and colors in this one.

Night train di maxmars70, su Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Looks great, love the colours.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I done shot myself a meteor.

I had one hell of a time processing this, I've never shot anything like it before. I've got half a dozen different versions saved with various colors and contrasts going on. This one ended up being my favorite because the sky looked the best, but I'm worried that everything's too dark. Thoughts?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BobTheCow posted:

I had one hell of a time processing this, I've never shot anything like it before. I've got half a dozen different versions saved with various colors and contrasts going on. This one ended up being my favorite because the sky looked the best, but I'm worried that everything's too dark. Thoughts?

Hard to say without looking at the rest of the bunch, but on principle this is sound since you wanted the sky to be the main focus of the picture. A backlit / dark foreground is ok with me, gives a context to the sky without distracting. The non dark piece of construction (btw, what is that?) also adds mystery.

You may go the HDR route but I'm not keen on it so I won't comment.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Looks great, love the colours.

Thanks QoP, I'm just getting into non-HDR night photography (probably will be main focus for next year) and I'm playing with light and colours. It's fun!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How long did you expose for?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How long did you expose for?

About 17 secs at F/8. Film is ISO 200.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

BobTheCow posted:

Hi meteor friend! I agree with maxmars that the backlit/dark foreground really isn't much of a detractor so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I like it a lot as posted! Good job.

I wish I could have scouted out a location better than my backyard, but being sick I didn't plan on shooting anything to begin with until I was lying in bed at 3am and it was nagging at me enough that I had to get up and try for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I had a frustrating and cold night of astrophotography. It was the first time in more than a month that we had a clear sky, so this was the first chance I had to try out my Orion Autoguider. Turns out I have no clue what I'm doing because I couldn't get an image to show up that showed any stars, so no autoguiding :(

Without autoguiding the best I could do was about 1 minute exposures, and even then I had to stick to about 70mm. It's better than my first attempt, but still a pretty crappy Andromeda Galaxy:

I wanted to take more exposures but by this time my wife and I had been outside for about 4 hours and were getting too cold (it was -15).