Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The bookmark list pull to refresh seems fine but the pull up at the end of a thread had go go almost to the blue bar at the top on an iPhone 5 and seems a bit too far really. Maybe I just need to get used to it like The Dave said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
How does the offline reading work? I take the subway so I'm offline everyday for an hour. I want to read unread posts in my bookmarked threads on the subway. Do I have to do anything prior to going underground other than open the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jigsaw posted:

A note, though: not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I click on a book marked thread it loads the entire page the new posts are on and sticks me at the top. Before, I had it set to load one previous post and it would set the page at the start of the unread posts. Is it still supposed to do that? Because it's definitely not for me.

Figured this one out, fixing it for 1.9.1. For now, here's a workaround:

Diabolik900 posted:

turn on "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" in your forums options

e: Where "forums options" means "Edit Options in the User Control Panel on the Forums website in your browser".

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2012

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

pokeyman posted:

Quick check for everyone who's not being taken to the next unread post:

If you scroll up, is the "Previous Posts" button tappable?

Not tappable.

Edit - workaround solves it for me

supersteve fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 13, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

pokeyman posted:

Figured this one out, fixing it for 1.9.1. For now, here's a workaround:
Is this workaround a setting in the app itself? Because I'm not seeing it.

Edit: vvv Ah yep, found it.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

qbert posted:

Is this workaround a setting in the app itself? Because I'm not seeing it.

No it's in your forums options on the site.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I love the dark theme - absolutely perfect! FWIW the end-of-thread pull-to-refresh swipe distance seems to be just fine on my iPhone 4.

Keep up the great work!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

No it's in your forums options on the site.

Holy cow I need to pay more attention to the options screen. I had no idea that was available.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I love seeing updates to Awful (and updates for any app for that matter). This is great, thanks.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Is the color of the avatar box being slightly darker than the rest of the post box a new thing in 1.9, or something I only noticed because I'm looking for stuff in the new version?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Really excited to explore the new update! I immediately found a bug though. If I try to mark a post read until there it does save the place but there's no notification anymore that its done so.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's easy enough to add back. It's the kind of thing that never fails (unless you're offline).

I redid most of the posts view, so that's why there's a few of these kinks.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

pokeyman posted:

Quick check for everyone who's not being taken to the next unread post:

If you scroll up, is the "Previous Posts" button tappable?

Nope, greyed out.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Any word about what offline reading means? I was on the subway and it did not work.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Navigating to a link thread is still kinda broken. The select page shows only the first. I found a work around by going to the last past and magically all the rest show up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How does the offline reading work? I take the subway so I'm offline everyday for an hour. I want to read unread posts in my bookmarked threads on the subway. Do I have to do anything prior to going underground other than open the app?

It's quite the half-assed offline mode.

Every post you view gets saved to your device, images and avatars excluded. (Images might work, they might not. I did nothing special to save them.) It's not enough to refresh your bookmark list, you have to actually go into each thread.

What you could do is, before you lose connectivity, refresh your bookmarks and go to each thread. Once you're offline, you can go to the page you're at in each thread.

I realize this is a pretty manual process. We'll make it smoother soon I hope, though I probably won't dedicate a ton of time to it unless there's a ton of demand.

kthegreat posted:

Nope, greyed out.

Cool, sorry about that (you and everyone else). It's fixed in the repository, will be fixed in 1.9.1 which I'll probably push out this week.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like a bug if you follow a link to another thread, the new thread may say page 1 of 16, but the page chooser only has the current page in it. And when I pressed the Next page button, it crashed.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

When there's a new post clicking the thread in my bookmarks doesn't take it to the latest posts, is that a bug?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Awful is 84.4 MB, 70.2 MB of which is "Documents and Data". What is it saving? Will deleting it cause any issues? Can I just install it again from the TestFlight email?

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Yo pokeyman? I just feel like every version I should drop in to let you know that it's working great, you're great, the app's great, and green yospos is super great. :ins:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

Awful is 84.4 MB, 70.2 MB of which is "Documents and Data". What is it saving? Will deleting it cause any issues? Can I just install it again from the TestFlight email?

It's all cache, you can delete anything you like. And it's all in the Caches folder, which iOS (supposedly) clears when it's low on space.

We're saving all posts you view, and there's now an on-disk cache for the web view to save images.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I know you're not supposed to hit the server extra, but would it be possible to at least one-click cache an entire thread rather than having to load all the pages manually?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I'm getting a persistent hard crash when I click on a spoilered quote in TVIV (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377206&pagenumber=661#post410451277). The first time clicking on it shifted the thread to the left so all the text was crammed in the sidebar before crashing; the second time it just crashed. I'm on an iPad 3 running the latest iOS and version 1.9.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Great new version! Pull to refresh/next page works perfectly on my iPad 2. On the iPhone 5 it is kinda hard to do without a really deliberate motion.

This bug still crops up though:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Superschaf posted:

This bug still crops up though:

I'm curious how you managed to load a thread inside the sidebar on the iPad, or get the sidebar's tabs to appear below the posts view, or really what the hell's going on there. Looks bad :(

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I'm curious how you managed to load a thread inside the sidebar on the iPad, or get the sidebar's tabs to appear below the posts view, or really what the hell's going on there. Looks bad :(

I opened the sidebar and it expanded the whole way. The views are empty though. If I flip orientation the sidebar is still too large but I can pull it back to the side.

When I change orientation back to portrait, the sidebar is back to normal size but still no content. I think in past versions (pre 1.8 I think) if you changed tabs it would fix itself, but now I had to restart the app.

Want me to test something next time it happens, doesn't happen very often though.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I couldn't take a screenshot, but I basically had the opposite problem: the thread loaded in the sidebar, but the sidebar and tabs were all the correct size.

From a few minutes of testing, it also seems like clicking on a username in a quote that's on the same page as you will crash the app consistently (I.e pretty much everything other than Jigsaw's quite on this page).

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Can you add a toggle to turn off the YOSPOS background. I'd rather not look at it; I'm back to reading YOSPOS largely at the PC for now. I appreciate that some people like it, but I feel that it's pretty terrible to look at.

Otherwise great, though. Thanks.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Update looks great.

Possible Bug: I wasn't using the forum default for posts per page and the app seemed real unhappy about it. It'd show me the correct page count but wouldn't successfully load the last few pages. I switched back to the forum default and it seems fine now.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Really nice update. Is there a way to always show the sidebar in landscape mode on the iPad? I'm sure I read it was coming back but can't find a setting for it. Totally minor niggle - love everything else.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

theadder posted:

Can you add a toggle to turn off the YOSPOS background. I'd rather not look at it; I'm back to reading YOSPOS largely at the PC for now. I appreciate that some people like it, but I feel that it's pretty terrible to look at.

Otherwise great, though. Thanks.

Agreed. Please make it possible to disable the custom yospos layout. The biggest reason to use this app on an iPad is to avoid the unreadable yospos font and color scheme.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Getting a frequent problem where bookmarks, forums and favourites all turn blank. I can access the Awful thread through settings though.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

So every time I open a bookmarked thread or another thread I have been reading it doesn't go straight to the last post of the thread where I left off. I have to mark it as read up to that point now. So if there are new reply's it doesn't jump to them if I forget to mark as read up to that point. It just goes to the top of the page. Is this something that was changed?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just updated to 1.9, and it looks great! My only issue is that image uploading isn't working for me, and it was one of my favorite parts of the app. Whenever I try to upload an image I get popup box that says "Image Uploading Failed. An unknown error occured (error code - 1)"

Any ideas? I really, really love the image upload feature.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can we get an option to sort the bookmarked threads pane with unread posts first? That's how SALR does it in Chrome on the PC, and it makes more sense.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

k-zed posted:

Agreed. Please make it possible to disable the custom yospos layout. The biggest reason to use this app on an iPad is to avoid the unreadable yospos font and color scheme.

Maybe you're not cut out for YOSPOS, kid :colbert:

Came to mention the bug I had, specifically with linking to a thread not updating the page selector, display indicates I'm on 19 of 23 but the wheel wouldn't let me go past 19. Pressing the Last page button worked correctly though, no crashing

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Oceanbound posted:

Getting a frequent problem where bookmarks, forums and favourites all turn blank. I can access the Awful thread through settings though.

I've been getting this as well. Fully closing and re-opening the app gets it back on track, but it happened at least a half dozen times in an hour or two.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Were we still going to get a toggle to make the sidebar always present in landscape view on the iPad? I guess there were only a few of us but it still seems like the screen is just a bit too wide to read comfortably in this orientation. Would love it if this was possible :)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

That's easy enough to add back. It's the kind of thing that never fails (unless you're offline).
As part of my job I move between floors and parts of our building all day, so I'm constantly dropping wifi when moving between access points, so knowing if its saved my place or not is really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Just updated to 1.9, and it looks great! My only issue is that image uploading isn't working for me, and it was one of my favorite parts of the app. Whenever I try to upload an image I get popup box that says "Image Uploading Failed. An unknown error occured (error code - 1)"

Any ideas? I really, really love the image upload feature.

I just tried it after updating to 1.9 and it worked fine for me. It rotated the image though.

• Locked thread