Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Icon Of Sin posted:

...every nearby IG regiment secret cult of traitors and SM chapter Chaos Sleeper cell is going to come to the sector...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I doubt the legions can afford to play a numbers game for any period of time.

Thanks to the powers of Chaos, there really is no limit to the Legions' resources.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I love learning about these things- when tons of players come together and make the outcome different from what GW expected, wrote new history, and made GW retcon it.

Didn't something like this happen with the orks? Like they completely dominated some large event and GW said 'welp it doesn't count anymore'

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea, the Imperium controls the space lanes around Cadia so sooner or later it will be back in imperial hands. They've been playing this game for 10,000 years, every nearby IG regiment and SM chapter is going to come to the sector screaming for blood and murder, and I doubt the legions can afford to play a numbers game for any period of time.

In thee latest books they have been subtly trying to raise the stakes if the curret Black Crusade. The legions now don't want to simply break out of Cadia but destroy the pylons there so that the Eye of Terror itself can grow unchecked and pave their way to Terra, bringing in countless daeminic reinforcements along the way.

As for numbers, several Black Library books address that chaos marines recruit and reinforce their warbands. Iron Warriors gleefully steal loyalist geneseed to make more troops, Huron has a churning apthecarium making more enegades, and even the dirt-poor Night Lords of the Echo of Damnation had a surprisingly efficient implantation and creation lab going.

Meaning that Chaos is always going to be at the same threat level as Orks, Necrons and all the other baddies: just enough to come in roaring and send the glaaxy reeling every millenia before being beaten back at great cost.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

BULBASAUR posted:

I love learning about these things- when tons of players come together and make the outcome different from what GW expected, wrote new history, and made GW retcon it.

Didn't something like this happen with the orks? Like they completely dominated some large event and GW said 'welp it doesn't count anymore'

That was in Fantasy.
Storm of Chaos was dominated by Orks, so the "official" ending has the orks punch out the chaos lord and then leave out of boredom.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
He may be referring to Da Green Kroosade.

GW was running a world wide event called the Eye of Terror campaign, GW said that chaos and the orks would team up for the eye of terror battles. The ork players said: "Zog Dat!" because the orks don't team up with anyone, not even themselves (not for very long anyway). They then proceeded to alter the results of the campaign by winning a huge percentage of games, even against their chaotic 'allies'.

Some Nerd on another forum posted:

The Green Kroosade was a loose organization of Ork players during the Eye of Terror campaign last year.

When Games Workshop officially announced the Eye of Terror campaign, Ork players discovered that they were going to take an understandable backseat role in the whole thing. GW gave us two basic choices: work as mercenaries for Chaos (having all of our victories count for disorder) or go kick the Tau in the nuts. Neither really appealled, so some Ork players got to thinking (and much steam came out of their ears). What resulted from this brainstorming was the agreement to form a coalition of likeminded greenskins.

We wanted to be Orks. We didn't want to play second fiddle to the Chaos-boyz, nor did we want to banish ourselves to the butt-end of the Galaxy (sorry, Tau!). There was a big fight to be had, and we wanted to get stuck in. To this end, we decided that we'd select an isolated corner of the map and encourage as many fellow Ork players to band together for this WAAAGH! The name "Green Kroosade" came about from a bastardization of the Chaos-war (Black Crusade). Ironically, the Orks were the first faction to be organized when Games Workshop opened up the Eye of Terror Forces of Disorder message board. We had our recruiters out with their megaphones recruiting warbosses to get in on the action. We had finalized our target by this point in time: the Scarus Sector. This was reasonably sized, but as far away from the action at Cadia as possible. We told our players simply: Make Scarus Green!

Most amazingly, we did. Three factions of Orks all banded together; a coalition of some 500 players, managed to overwhelm and take down an entire sub-sector, including two Forgeworlds. This was hotly contested by players of the Salamanders Chapter of Space Marines who played opposite us the whole campaign. They saddly didn't receive their needed reinforcements.

The joy of joys was that Games Workshop took the time to independantly recognize the Ork players for what we did. Many individual players in the Eye of Terror campaign were singled out for their actions (including the Triad of Khornesone, Tzeentch2003 and TauMarshall, and the Canoness Astra) and received publication not only online, but in the White Dwarf. The players had truly made the Eye of Terror campaign an interesting experience, and were rewarded for their efforts.

There are more than a few Green Kroosaders who have taken a shine to their participation. A green maltese cross became the accepted symbol of the Kroosade; a sort of badge of service that could very easily be painted by even amateur hobbyists. It's a thing of joy to see this cross on an Ork model and *know* that they were part of this very successful Ork moment.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 12, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Anybody want some cultists?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I've been getting to know BattleScribe and re-acquainting myself with the rules (also brushing up on 6th ed with the mini-rulebook included in the DV box), and as I toss around CSM ideas, I find myself wondering: Why, outside of the tutorials in the box, would I want to use Cultists?

Yes, you get a lot of bodies, and yes, they're cheap. But they can't use Rhinos, they're a bit on the squishy side, and they have no real weapon options. Are they just available as an additional scoring unit if you have 50 points to spare in a big list?

Right now the list I'm contemplating uses the Lord from the box as well as some Chosen as Aspiring Champions...

code:
+++ Chaos prototype (1000pts) +++
+++ 1000pt Chaos Space Marines 6th Ed (2012) by SN Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Chaos Space Marines 6th Ed (2012) by SN (Standard) Selections:

+ HQ + (220pts)

* Chaos Lord (115pts) 
        (Champion of Chaos, Fearless, Independent Character)
        Mark of Slaanesh (15pts), Veterans of the Long War (5pts)
        * Power Armour (30pts) 
            Plasma Pistol (15pts), Power Weapon (15pts)

* Sorcerer (105pts) 
        (Champion of Chaos, Independent Character, Psyker)
        Additional Mastery Level (25pts), Mark of Slaanesh (15pts), Power Armour, Veterans of the Long War (5pts)

+ Troops + (490pts)

* Chaos Space Marines (229pts) 
        8x Chaos Space Marine (104pts), Mark of Slaanesh (18pts), Meltagun (10pts), Veteran of the long war (9pts)
        * Aspiring Champion (53pts) 
            (Champion of Chaos)
            Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Fist (25pts)
        * Chaos Rhino (35pts) 
            (Repair)
            Combi-bolter, Searchlight, Smoke launchers

* Noise Marines (Troops) (261pts) 
        (Fearless, Mark of Slaanesh)
        Icon of Excess (30pts), 8x Noise Marine w/ Sonic Blaster (160pts), Veteran of The Long War (9pts)
        * Chaos Rhino (35pts) 
            (Repair)
        * Noise Champion (27pts) 
            (Champion of Chaos)
            Bolt Pistol, CCW

+ Fast Attack + (170pts)

* Heldrake (170pts) 
        (Daemon, Daemonforge, It Will Not Die, Meteroric Descent)
        Baleflamer

+ Heavy Support + (120pts)

* Havocs (120pts) 
        4x Autocannon (40pts), 4x Havoc (52pts), Veteran of the long war (5pts)
        * Aspiring Champion (23pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, CCW

The idea is to deploy the Havocs with a good FoV so they can cover advancing Rhinos. The Sorcerer's in with the Noise Marines and the Lord with the CSMs. If anything threatens the Havocs or a scoring position, I hose them down with the Heldrake. The Sorcerer's malediction should make the fire from the Sonic Blasters quite withering, while the Lord and his CSMs take care of vehicles and higher AP targets. I could cut the additional Mastery level on the Sorcerer for more wargear on the Noise Champion, but I think the extra Warp points will come in handy more often than the NC having a power sword.

Thoughts?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Manifest posted:

That was in Fantasy.
Storm of Chaos was dominated by Orks, so the "official" ending has the orks punch out the chaos lord and then leave out of boredom.

Making Gav Thorpe write a tearful summary about how Orc players didn't play fair ans follow his story is still my favourite thing I've done on the internet.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

Making Gav Thorpe write a tearful summary about how Orc players didn't play fair ans follow his story is still my favourite thing I've done on the internet.

Tell me more.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I've been getting to know BattleScribe and re-acquainting myself with the rules (also brushing up on 6th ed with the mini-rulebook included in the DV box), and as I toss around CSM ideas, I find myself wondering: Why, outside of the tutorials in the box, would I want to use Cultists?

Yes, you get a lot of bodies, and yes, they're cheap. But they can't use Rhinos, they're a bit on the squishy side, and they have no real weapon options. Are they just available as an additional scoring unit if you have 50 points to spare in a big list?

they're super cheap and can have 35 dudes in a unit. They're great for holding objectives close to your battle line and bogging down elite enemy units. If you take typhus they're even better at both of these things.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I tried searching for a better photo of the minis in that set. First, I find a Judge Dredd set that looks awful.

http://www.warvault.net/promos/images/mongoose/GoMCO/gmco1.jpg
http://www.iguk.co.uk/ProductImages2/FullSize/2562.jpg

Then, I find this:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Post 9-11 User posted:

I tried searching for a better photo of the minis in that set. First, I find a Judge Dredd set that looks awful.

http://www.warvault.net/promos/images/mongoose/GoMCO/gmco1.jpg
http://www.iguk.co.uk/ProductImages2/FullSize/2562.jpg

Then, I find this:

Protip: there are no good pictures of this set, but at ten cents per model, you get some good armatures for kit bashing and mob filler.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Any guard players have some autocannons from the heavy weapons team they want to part with? Basically just looking for the piece with the barrel on it if you no longer have the ammo drums or the bi-pod is in use.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Needs more Nurgle.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

I see someone found the "red state" mini series.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Kaysette posted:

Needs more Nurgle.

I probably laughed more at this than I should.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Cataphract posted:

they're super cheap and can have 35 dudes in a unit. They're great for holding objectives close to your battle line and bogging down elite enemy units. If you take typhus they're even better at both of these things.

Hmmm...

code:
+++ Chaos prototype v2 (999pts) +++
+++ 1000pt Chaos Space Marines 6th Ed (2012) by SN Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Chaos Space Marines 6th Ed (2012) by SN (Standard) Selections:

+ HQ + (345pts)

* Chaos Lord (115pts) 
        (Champion of Chaos, Fearless, Independent Character)
        Mark of Slaanesh (15pts), Veterans of the Long War (5pts)
        * Power Armour (30pts) 
            Plasma Pistol (15pts), Power Weapon (15pts)

* Typhus (230pts) 
        (Champion of Chaos, Destroyer Hive, Fearless, Feel no Pain, Independent Character, 
Mark of Nurgle, Plague Zombies, Psyker (Mastery lvl 2), Veterans of the Long War, Warlord: Lord of Terror)

+ Troops + (366pts)

* Chaos Cultists (90pts) 
        (Champion of Chaos)
        Champion's upgrade (10pts), 20x Squad models (champion included) (80pts)

* Noise Marines (Troops) (276pts) 
        (Fearless, Mark of Slaanesh)
        Icon of Excess (30pts), 8x Noise Marine w/ Sonic Blaster (160pts), Veteran of The Long War (9pts)
        * Chaos Rhino (35pts) 
            (Repair)
        * Noise Champion (42pts) 
            (Champion of Chaos)
            Bolt Pistol, CCW, Doom Siren (15pts)

+ Fast Attack + (170pts)

* Heldrake (170pts) 
        (Daemon, Daemonforge, It Will Not Die, Meteroric Descent)
        Baleflamer

+ Heavy Support + (118pts)

* Havocs (118pts) 
        4x Autocannon (40pts), 4x Havoc (52pts)
        * Aspiring Champion (26pts) 
            CCW, Combi-bolter (3pts)

Created with BattleScribe

I think I like this list more. The Plague Zombies give me a nice, implacable battle line without sinking a bunch of points & cash into my beloved Thousand Sons, with Autocannon covering fire and the Heldrake and Rhino of ROCK to do roaming damage, deny objectives, etc. And I won't have to buy as many minis! Bonus.

EDIT: Typhus, no need to give the thread a pox, thanks.

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 13, 2012

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Exinos posted:

Any guard players have some autocannons from the heavy weapons team they want to part with? Basically just looking for the piece with the barrel on it if you no longer have the ammo drums or the bi-pod is in use.

I think I might have a few, I'll poke around my bitz box.

The Toy Taker
Dec 10, 2004
So, tonight I wrecked a Land Raider with Mad Dok Grotsnik's power klaw on the second turn of the game. He was leading some cybork Kommandos.

Then, two turns later, he was killed by a snap-shot from a meltagun.

It's like the whole world has turned upside down, blokes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite kill was a deathwing terminator with an assault cannon bringing down a Tau Tiger Shark AX-1-0 in one shot back in 5th ed. when shooting flyers was hard. We've got it easy in 6th edition, what with not subtracting range from our guns on top of needing 6s to hit.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I think I like this list more. The Plague Zombies give me a nice, implacable battle line without sinking a bunch of points & cash into my beloved Thousand Sons, with Autocannon covering fire and the Heldrake and Rhino of ROCK to do roaming damage, deny objectives, etc. And I won't have to buy as many minis! Bonus.

EDIT: Typhus, no need to give the thread a pox, thanks.

That's a solid list to start with, and you can later build upon it as funds and time become available.

My one nitpick would be the plasma pistol on the Chaos Lord. Plasma pistols usually get fired only 1-2 times each game and are very expensive. You can use those points to give him an artifact weapon to make him a bigger threat, or get an invulnerable save.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Sephyr posted:

That's a solid list to start with, and you can later build upon it as funds and time become available.

My one nitpick would be the plasma pistol on the Chaos Lord. Plasma pistols usually get fired only 1-2 times each game and are very expensive. You can use those points to give him an artifact weapon to make him a bigger threat, or get an invulnerable save.

You raise a good point, and I believe there are plenty of bits in the DV box I can cannibalize to make the adjustment. Or just do it later with a saw, some green stuff and a repaint job.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

My favorite kill was a deathwing terminator with an assault cannon bringing down a Tau Tiger Shark AX-1-0 in one shot back in 5th ed. when shooting flyers was hard. We've got it easy in 6th edition, what with not subtracting range from our guns on top of needing 6s to hit.

I think my favorite was when a necron lord on a chariot charged my company commander and caught a plasma pistol blast to the face, which penetrated and exploded the chariot and killed the lord in the blast (who had expended his wounds earlier trying to keep his chariot floating). I'm pretty sure I lost that game, but the guy didn't get the "slay the warlord" VP off of me that game :)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I actually bought the Block War starter set and it had this group of models in it. Honestly, they are some of the worst posed and cast plastics I've seen and they take a lot of work to even fit together right.

They're okay if you're looking for pure filler, but not much else.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
It doesn't happen often but it's nice when a precision shot from a plasma pistol takes out an enemy character and turns you into a daemon prince.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Yeah, with precision shot, overwatch, AP2 being less common and getting +1 on the damage table Plasma pistols seem to do better now.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

cat with hands posted:

Yeah, with precision shot, overwatch, AP2 being less common and getting +1 on the damage table Plasma pistols seem to do better now.

Shame about that price tag, I still can't see them being used outside of guard because of that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
They're also capable of killing the man firing it, which is awful.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

How big is the tigershark model? It looks enormous on the site

Cassa posted:

They're also capable of killing the man firing it, which is hilarious.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

IMO gets hot should just destroy the weapon.

You're leading your army around plasmaing poo poo. Suddenly the gun has a malfunction that is so bad it would kill a normal man but you somehow survive. And keep shooting the gun which was unaffected by this critical malfunction.

-Warhammer40k.txt

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nuncle jimbo posted:

How big is the tigershark model? It looks enormous on the site

Pretty loving big.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 13, 2012

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

IMO gets hot should just destroy the weapon.

You're leading your army around plasmaing poo poo. Suddenly the gun has a malfunction that is so bad it would kill a normal man but you somehow survive. And keep shooting the gun which was unaffected by this critical malfunction.

-Warhammer40k.txt

I never viewed it as a malfunction, more that the weapon overheated and then vented plasma all over the wielder... if they were wearing enough army to shield them then they could carry on with their weapon, cool as ice.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Pretty loving big.

For reference, a doom/night scythe is about twice as wide as a dreadnought. That thing's probably about three times larger than a night scythe.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

I guess that interpretation does make sense. Yeah I just checked my copy of Blood and Thunder and the Plasma pistol does seem to vent hot gas all over the guy when it malfunctions.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

cat with hands posted:

If they cost 5 points or were Assault 2, I'd definitely agree. As it is, though, you are paying the cost of a full chaos marine for a short-ranged weapon that doesn't get to fire too often.

It may burn an enemy terminator or put wounds on a tervigon, but if you are in range to fire it you are likely either about to charge (and you don't want to kill too many enemies before rolling the charge because it makes the charge harder to pull off) or gettingcharged yourself.

I never fire mine in overwatch, since the odds of hitting and of burning yourself are the same and I'll need all my wounds for the coming CC. I have one on Kharn since its mandatory gear, but The last time I fired it was when facing Chaos daemons because I needed every single shot to try and go through Fateweaver's drat re-rollable saves.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cataphract posted:

if they were wearing enough army to shield them then they could carry on with their weapon, cool as ice.
That's... an interesting take on wound allocation :v:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Sephyr posted:

If they cost 5 points or were Assault 2, I'd definitely agree. As it is, though, you are paying the cost of a full chaos marine for a short-ranged weapon that doesn't get to fire too often.

I'm not saying that they are good value, just that they are better in 6th than they were in 5th.

Sometimes that extra wound, pen or hullpoint is what you need.

Another case for the PP, at least for me, is the new casualty removal rules. Getting an IP in range is both difficult and risky since you're likely putting that dude up front.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I may try it both ways. I can always say someone gave the Lord the PP before he left for combat, but he'd much rather feel his foe dying (he's Slaaneshi after all) and just uses the PP to gesture grandly, or because the Noise Marines wanted pyrotechnics.

Taking a look at the Thousand Sons, it seems that Icon of Flame + Inferno Bolts = a really good way to set HQs on fire. Not sure if they're worth the cost in a lower-point army, but sticking them in a Rhino and tasking them with character assassination seems like it might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I a) always forget that it is better to charge than be charged, and b) forget about soul blaze. I need to get better about that.

• Locked thread