Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

WaffleStomp posted:

It wouldn't happened when I clicked the right thumbstick, I'd just tap it to look left or right and I'd be spinning.

Also what sense would a 360° spin make, it should be 180° if anything unless gamepad fps controls are even dumber than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Crossposting from the eShop thread - demos for Rayman and Sonic Kart are live on the NA eShop now, and Batman is available for digital download.

Lies. I can't find them at all.

If they're there they sure make them loving hard to find. Batman is also still listed as "coming soon."

EDIT: Found it, but only by listing ALL SOFTWARE and it was at the end, and I had to go in and push a download button. It should be on the front friggin page and I should be able to search for Rayman by name.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 13, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

If they're there they sure make them loving hard to find. Batman is also still listed as "coming soon."

Doesn't the NA eShop have the "Demos" banner on the main page like the PAL one? Should be right in the middle of the screen.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you're in the states, I found them by searching "rayman" and "sonic" then clicking More Details. Unlike the 3DS I guess they are waiting for more demos to be available to include a section for them on the main page.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Katana Gomai posted:

Also what sense would a 360° spin make, it should be 180° if anything unless gamepad fps controls are even dumber than I thought.

That guy was trolling because there are people who play CoD who do trick shots where they spin in the air and get headshots without using the scope.

The dude's controller should probably be returned, because it isn't acting properly.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The funny thing is that with CoD's bizarre contingent of people seeking ~epic sick 360 noscope kill cams~ I could actually believe that clicking the right stick would make you do a 360.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Oh so that's where that 360° no-scope headshot meme came from. Consider me enlightened.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Sonic Racing have an equivalent of Mario Kart's battle mode or is it just racing?

Actually, now that I think of it, did Mario Kart Wii even have a proper battle mode? I played it a little on my brother's Wii and I just remember something with a bunch of non-player bots, and maybe forced teams as well? Didn't feel like the battle mode of old.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Minidust posted:

Does Sonic Racing have an equivalent of Mario Kart's battle mode or is it just racing?

Actually, now that I think of it, did Mario Kart Wii even have a proper battle mode? I played it a little on my brother's Wii and I just remember something with a bunch of non-player bots, and maybe forced teams as well? Didn't feel like the battle mode of old.

It definitely had battle mode, with quite a lot of different locations too. I mean you can fill it with bots if you want, but you don't have to.

The original sonic racing definitely didn't have battle mode so it'd seem a bit weird if there was one now.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Minidust posted:

Sonic Racing does have battle modes. Battle Arena and Capture the Chao take place in Mario Kart style arenas, and Battle race is a race mode where you can eliminate the other racers if they lose 3 lives.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, does the WiiU constantly rev whatever disk you guys have inside it?

Because whenever I'm out in the OS, on the browser, etc, the console will be spinning Nintendoland at what sounds like max speed.
I take it out, the system is quiet, I put it back in, and it sounds like the hugest HDD.

I haven't had a single crash or anything else with it, but I find it odd that it doesn't just rev up the disk once to check what game it is, then just let it chill until I try to open the game.

e: also, Nintendo, please add a tap-the-off-button to turn off the gamepad's display, and make it system wide, having the screen on because you're downloading a game, and want the system to turn off once it's done is pretty damned dumb.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 13, 2012

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SubNat posted:

So, does the WiiU constantly rev whatever disk you guys have inside it?

Because whenever I'm out in the OS, on the browser, etc, the console will be spinning Nintendoland at what sounds like max speed.
I take it out, the system is quiet, I put it back in, and it sounds like the hugest HDD.

I haven't had a single crash or anything else with it, but I find it odd that it doesn't just rev up the disk once to check what game it is, then just let it chill until I try to open the game.

e: also, Nintendo, please add a tap-the-off-button to turn off the gamepad's display, and make it system wide, having the screen on because you're downloading a game, and want the system to turn off once it's done is pretty damned dumb.

The PS3 also spins the disc while you tool around the dashboard. It will eventually stop after about five minutes if you don't actually go into the game. I assume it's spinning so that any animations and music loads into the dashboard to play when you hover over the game selection.

Maybe the Wii U does this too? Wait five or so minutes and then see if it's still spinning.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I stand corrected. That is really weird.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Test:
Installing the rayman demo: WHIRR
Playing the rayman demo for ~15 minutes: WHIRR

Starting to think it might actually just be spinning, forever.
Since it's even doing it as I'm ingame with stuff installed on the internal memory.
I've looked around, and a few other people have mentioned it as well.

Pretty sure it was still spinning as I and a friend messed around on youtube(via the browser, of course) for about 40 minutes, remember that I noticed it then in the first place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Might just be your unit. I'd call customer supper and ask if that's normal. I don't think mine does that but I haven't had Nintendo land in for a while.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

Might just be your unit. I'd call customer supper and ask if that's normal.

Also ask what they're cooking tonight :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh right, you can only order supper on the japanese version.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
COD makes my Wii U sound like its eating the disc

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

COD makes my Wii U sound like its eating the disc

It really freaks out my girlfriend when I'm playing and it sounds like there's a grasshopper party happening on my counter. Click click click click whir whir whir click click

vvv Black Ops runs especially hard, and I've heard ME3 does the same.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 13, 2012

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Maybe I havent been paying attention, but I dont think my Wii U makes these noises.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

A PC Game posted:

Everything on YouTube is copyrighted.
Not everything on Youtube is placed their without the permission of the copyright holders. What does Youtube gain from blocking the browser or risk losing by not blocking it?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
My WiiU also seems to have the disc spinning constantly even when it really shouldn't be accessing it. Hope they fix that with a firmware update, until then I guess I'll just have to pull out the disc whenever I'm not playing a disc game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I honestly have no idea why there's no Mario U demo. The WiiU kiosks are now starting to become a big deal because of the Rayman demo.

I can't believe Nintendo would release the kiosks without thinking "Hey shouldn't there be a god drat game on this thing?"

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly have no idea why there's no Mario U demo. The WiiU kiosks are now starting to become a big deal because of the Rayman demo.

I can't believe Nintendo would release the kiosks without thinking "Hey shouldn't there be a god drat game on this thing?"
I really don't think Mario needs a demo unless you live under a rock. Everyone knows the deal with Mario, not ZombieU or Sonic Racing.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If I leave mine at the Mii login screen it eventually goes to a black screen that says the HDD was disconnected after a few hours.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Then... Don't leave it at the login screen for hours at a time?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Boten Anna posted:

If I leave mine at the Mii login screen it eventually goes to a black screen that says the HDD was disconnected after a few hours.

Are you using an external hard drive? Some of them power down if they aren't being in use, i'm pretty sure the Wii U doesn't like it when that happens.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, a lot of external HDDs have 'intelligent power saving' systems that you can't remove, found out that mine idles after 30 mins or whatever it was, and the only way to disable that is to smack it into my desktop pc, and gently caress around with some stuff in DOS, so no thanks to that.

Nintendo also needs to add a " Yo, Wake the gently caress up, I'll wait for a bit" ping instead of freaking out over sleeping HDDs at some point too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I really don't think Mario needs a demo unless you live under a rock. Everyone knows the deal with Mario, not ZombieU or Sonic Racing.

It's not about what people know. If you have the mario game on it it tells people hey new mario, new console, and it's purty!

Also it's just a crime to have a kiosk out with no games on it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The handling of external hard drive disconnects of any kind should be more graceful, period. I hope that's on the firmware upgrade agenda. If a game is running off the drive, it should just stop the game and ask you to reconnect the drive. If the system is doing something else entirely, it should be a complete non-issue and just take the corresponding software off the main menu. A total lockup that requires disconnecting the power cord is pretty awful.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah it's not a big deal and it never has problems in normal operation, it just shows that their external device handling code has some rough edges. I'm not bringing it up as an OH GOD MY WII U IS BROKEN NINTENDO IS poo poo thing, just an observation on its behavior. If you are thinking like a tech support rep, don't :v:

It'd be nice if I could let it sit at the login screen though, as if you turn the system off it won't download patches or anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think it will download patches either unless you've logged in and gotten to the menu at least.

WeAreDevo
Oct 4, 2004

A: We are D E V O
I got my Nintendo Wii U, and have a ton of old Nintendo accessories from 6 years ago when I bought the Wii on launch date. As such, I have 4 old Wii Remotes that do not include Motion Plus. I'm interested in getting 4 Wii Remotes with Motion Plus.

Is there any tangible benefit to getting new Wii Remotes with Motion Plus built in? Or am I just as well off buying a couple cheap, third party Motion Pluses that I see for like $10-20 each on eBay that are likely not even official Nintendo brand products.

One thing that made me think the latest Wii Remote Plus's are improved in some way is when I tried to look them up on Amazon, I added a 2010 or 2009 era Wii Remote Plus in my cart here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Remote-Pl...placementWidget

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Remote-Mo...wii+remote+plus

There is a note that "There is a newer version of this item" and a link to here:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Remote-Plus-Black/dp/B0094X28J0/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

I'm just not sure if there is anything superior as to whether I go with the cheap, old Motion Plus attachments applied to my 2006 era Wii Remotes, or if there's a real benefit to going with 2012 era Wii Remote Pluses. I have not played my Wii in a very long time and have no idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The ones with it built in are a lot more comfortable when playing a game where you hold it sideways, and the wiimote condom isn't nearly as much of a pain.

WeAreDevo
Oct 4, 2004

A: We are D E V O
Ok, so it would make sense that the Wii Remote Plus with the built in motion plus would be more comfortable, yes, but is it known there a tangible improvement between the 2009/2010 Wii Remote Plus controllers with the built in motion plus and the 2012 version of the same?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the only improvements are ergonomic and convenience. If you can find the attachments cheap they're perfectly valid as an option.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just tried the Rayman demo, and while the first two levels didn't grab me at all (it's certainly no Mario), I think I would play an entire rhythm game of Castle Rock, that was hilarious.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

greatn posted:

I think the only improvements are ergonomic and convenience. If you can find the attachments cheap they're perfectly valid as an option.

This. I think the attachments are slightly prone to breaking, though, or at least I've heard reports of some of them failing. They lock securely onto the remotes but there's still some wiggle room that isn't normally a problem but could theoretically succumb to sudden force. I can't recall ever having problems with them myself.

Look for cheap copies of Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2 with it included.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

http://www.change.org/petitions/dark-souls-ii-for-the-nintendo-wiiu

Not that this will really do anything, but in case you one system bums want a sequel to a pretty good game / more third party support on Wii U, here is a petition to bring Dark Souls 2 to the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jet Set Jettison posted:

http://www.change.org/petitions/dark-souls-ii-for-the-nintendo-wiiu

Not that this will really do anything, but in case you one system bums want a sequel to a pretty good game / more third party support on Wii U, here is a petition to bring Dark Souls 2 to the Wii U.

With Nintendo and Namco's recent dating I would add that this petition isn't for a pipe dream. Nintendo wants more "mature" titles and has shown that they have been willing to even publish them lately if thats what it takes. With Dark Souls 1 and 2 being on so many best of"" lists I would assume that they know if its appeal.

• Locked thread