Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm rocking a 2009 Dell desktop off the shelf of Best Buy with 4,500 tracks in the library. It's running faster for me. Was a Mac Mini from the same year comparatively underpowered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I noticed something weird with my 2011 MacBook Air (OS X Lion) last week that I'm going to assume has to do with updating to iTunes 11, since it's the only thing that I've done to it in the last few weeks outside of general use.

While listening to any kind of headphones, I noticed the left channel sounding noticeably louder than the right. Plugging the computer into my stereo confirmed that, indeed, the left channel was significantly louder than the right and I wasn't simply deafer than before. Fearing some kind of horrible sound card/headphone jack malfunction, I began to dig through the Sound settings in the System Preferences menu. Sure enough:

Never in my life have I even been into the sound output settings- much less changed them. I reset the balance and everything's been peaches since.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, or is it probably totally unrelated?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 10, 2012

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's unrelated to iTunes 11 -- I've had it happen to me a couple times before that was ever out -- but I think it's a glitch with the headphone port/driver/something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's happened to me in like 10.4 or 10.5 before.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I noticed something weird with my 2011 MacBook Air (OS X Lion) last week

You up to date on your system updates? I had the same issue on Lion back when it first came out. I think one of the point releases fixed it though.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

DarkJC posted:

Unless you use iTunes DJ a lot in some way that Up Next can't replicate (like that one guy who posted a few pages ago), then I see no reason to stay with 10. It's definitely an upgrade from 10, it's just not the magical complete rewrite that always works great for everyone that some were hoping for.

You're always going to hear more complaints than good things, the people that are happy with it don't care.

That was me, after several failed attempts at workarounds, the one I settled on was to add blocks of the smart playlist to "up next". Took a while to get it approaching the randomised order it used to appear in, but it's something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vkeios posted:

You up to date on your system updates? I had the same issue on Lion back when it first came out. I think one of the point releases fixed it though.

Yup. That's what surprised me too, since I was totally up to date.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Betjeman posted:

That was me, after several failed attempts at workarounds, the one I settled on was to add blocks of the smart playlist to "up next". Took a while to get it approaching the randomised order it used to appear in, but it's something.

You can tell Up Next to just fill itself from a specific playlist. It's still not all the functionality of DJ, with its go back and forth lists, or the tweaked ratings-sensitive shuffle, but it's something.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I upgraded to iTunes 11 on my rMBP, and now firewall asks me to allow/deny connections anytime I open iTunes.

The interwebs suggest this is a problem dating waaay back, and that the solution is to simply uninstall/reinstall iTunes. The problem is that OSX will not allow you to uninstall iTunes anymore.

Anyone else run into this?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Arivia posted:

You can tell Up Next to just fill itself from a specific playlist. It's still not all the functionality of DJ, with its go back and forth lists, or the tweaked ratings-sensitive shuffle, but it's something.

Ah ok, that's easier to manage long term, thanks.

Bit of iOS 6 level intuitiveness here, if I have nothing at all currently in the "up next" window (this will happen if you kill a smart playlist! hurr) then add something to Up Next, I can't play what's in Up Next. I have to clear it, start playing something else, THEN add to Up Next. Bizarre.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

I'm rocking a 2009 Dell desktop off the shelf of Best Buy with 4,500 tracks in the library. It's running faster for me. Was a Mac Mini from the same year comparatively underpowered?

> 50,000 tracks here

edit:

and I can only imagine it is comparatively underpowered

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
With the new album art focused interface, I've finally taken the time to correct my album art. There are two albums in particular that refuse to update the art. I have old bad low res art from when I imported the albums forever ago, and when I update them like I've updated any other albums, they just keep resolving back to the old art. How can I get it to actually keep the art?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Right click the songs - get info - artwork

Delete the old ones.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Is anyone else having issues with Airplay streaming to an Apple TV or Airport Express from iTunes after the update? I have two Airport Expresses and an Apple TV that used to work beautifully in my apartment, then I installed iTunes 11 and the sound drops very frequently?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What the gently caress, iTunes? First you sign out of iCloud randomly for "security" and then you yell at me repeatedly until I bother to dig my password out and fix your own mistake. All I want to do is play music.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheState posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Airplay streaming to an Apple TV or Airport Express from iTunes after the update? I have two Airport Expresses and an Apple TV that used to work beautifully in my apartment, then I installed iTunes 11 and the sound drops very frequently?

Thwomp posted:

Anyone unable to connect to their Libraries via Home Share? Since getting 11, I haven't been able to connect from any of my iDevices or AppleTV.

Something is up with 11 but it's not universal (so far as I can tell). I can Airplay from my iPad/iPhone to my AppleTV just fine.

However, my iTunes doesn't see my AppleTV at all and my AppleTV doesn't see any of the HomeShared libraries from my iTunes since going to 11.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thwomp posted:

Something is up with 11 but it's not universal (so far as I can tell). I can Airplay from my iPad/iPhone to my AppleTV just fine.

However, my iTunes doesn't see my AppleTV at all and my AppleTV doesn't see any of the HomeShared libraries from my iTunes since going to 11.

Yeah I don't think it's Universal. All my devices are working with iTunes 11. MacMini, Win8 machine, Apple TV, 2 AirPort Express devices.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Did we ever find a way to make focus follow playback on anything other than song/playlist view?

I can understand how it'd be difficult with the way album view is handled, but it would be really nice if it followed along in Artists view, since I usually just put it on "All Artists" and shuffle from there.

Not really a big deal, but would be nice and help it feel more like the old functionality.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Wario In Real Life posted:

Did we ever find a way to make focus follow playback on anything other than song/playlist view?

I can understand how it'd be difficult with the way album view is handled, but it would be really nice if it followed along in Artists view, since I usually just put it on "All Artists" and shuffle from there.

Not really a big deal, but would be nice and help it feel more like the old functionality.

The closest thing I have found is command L. But you have to do it every time. At least it's easy when you want it.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
Nevermind this, issue solved itself as inexplicably as it appeared.

Green Eyed Loco-Man fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 11, 2012

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Anybody have any idea why my iPhone 3G is syncing music but not showing it in the artists tab in the music app? The individual albums show up when you choose the album tab and are all playable. It's just random artists that do it and they all show up in the artist column when I look at what's on my iPhone in iTunes. Using the newest version but it was happening before the upgrade too.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
OCD problem here:
Does anyone know how to make the new MiniPlayer save its location?

Every time I go from the main iTunes window to the MiniPlayer (via the little icon in the upper right) it locates to the same place... but that place is in the way of my Chrome window, so I move it down a little bit. For some reason it doesn't "remember" this location, so next time I go from main iTunes window to MiniPlayer it goes back to the old location.

I want it to stay where I put it because it's perfectly sized to fit right under my browser — next to the dock and out of the way.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Does anyone know of a way to change the view of audiobook when selecting which audiobooks to sync to one's Nano/Touch/iPhone/whatever? The list view they have is utterly painful if you have a lot of audiobooks to sort through.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chomper posted:

OCD problem here:
Does anyone know how to make the new MiniPlayer save its location?

Every time I go from the main iTunes window to the MiniPlayer (via the little icon in the upper right) it locates to the same place... but that place is in the way of my Chrome window, so I move it down a little bit. For some reason it doesn't "remember" this location, so next time I go from main iTunes window to MiniPlayer it goes back to the old location.

I want it to stay where I put it because it's perfectly sized to fit right under my browser — next to the dock and out of the way.

As a rule windows won't resize or place themselves in an area where the dock could be. For example, try resizing your browser window to go under the dock, then move it. If it obeys OS X window management rules, it'll automatically resize (and move, if possible) so it's no longer behind the dock. You might try autohiding the dock, at which point the player will remember to go down that far, but any zoom would just make the chrome window take up the space, as well.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

chomper posted:

If you're not side dockin' I feel bad for you son.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

chomper posted:

Yeah you're probably too far down. Even if the dock doesn't extend all the way to the edge of your screen, that area down there is still designated for the dock and will kick anything out if it's placed down there.

Here's my current setup that's probably pretty similar but I'm running Bowtie in the dock area and then the album art window right above it out of the dock area.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok, how do I add a custom ringtone to my iPhone? If I sync it, I lose everything that was on my phone. Why can't I just drag the file to it?

Edit: Holy god am I retarded. Apparently, you can just drag from the library onto the iPhone button. I was used to a right-click menu in older versions. Re-synced and deleted 8gb of music before I realized this though :downs:

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 13, 2012

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

TheState posted:

I have noticed that streaming music doesn't keep the computer from sleeping anymore. If you turn on the visualizer it prevents sleep, which keeps the stream going. This is under OSX 10.8.2, may or may not be an issue on earlier versions.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Yeah you're probably too far down. Even if the dock doesn't extend all the way to the edge of your screen, that area down there is still designated for the dock and will kick anything out if it's placed down there.

Here's my current setup that's probably pretty similar but I'm running Bowtie in the dock area and then the album art window right above it out of the dock area.

drat. That sucks... this is how I wanna use it, but it moves it up where the SALR navigation is:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You can set the dock to autohide to keep it there but...then your dock is hidden, so I'm not sure if that's a solution for you.

Or move your dock to the left/right

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, So the title of this thread is apt. I do not know how to set up a list that tells me what podcast have recently updated and are waiting to be transferred to my iPod. It used to be a playlist type deal called' recently added' that I had to add some rule to to include video, music, and podcast. Any ideas on how to copy this in the new poo poo? If not, is there are place to download iTunes 10? Everything was like clockwork on that poo poo.

edit: I'm on Windows 7 and I got no fancy rear end scripts.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 13, 2012

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
This morning, I turned on my PC and discovered that iTunes 11 had installed itself, which is odd since I always decline updates.

As I tinkered with it, I discovered the "add folder" option is gone. Then I did... something, and in the process, iTunes created duplicates of the mp3 files in several albums and gleefully deleted a few hundred songs without a trace (the files themselves, mind).

Fortunately, I still have the missing songs on my iPhone, but I'm afraid to plug it in via USB lest it sync and delete those too.

Any advice on the best way to unfuck my library?

Edit: VV Wish I knew, but I don't, so I described the outcome and current state as well as I could. VV

basx fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 13, 2012

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
We'll probably be able to give you some advice as soon as you're able to better define "did... something".

Hope that helps.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Is there really no way in iTunes 11 to have an album art column in a playlist? I'm glad I installed this on my old POS laptop first.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Juche Couture posted:

Is there really no way in iTunes 11 to have an album art column in a playlist? I'm glad I installed this on my old POS laptop first.
No, but by clicking on the album art in the playing pane it'll open up a movable, resizable album art window that might work for you.

I actually enjoy this setup better since I like having the album artwork always visible and iTunes isn't always in focus. I've used this method since iTunes 10. Check the screenshot I posted a couple posts up as an example.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Yeah, I dislike that. I have a lot of playlists of things that are related - e.g. things by the same composer played by different performers, or an artist's discography including side projects by different names - and being able to scan through them quickly by the covers is useful. That's how I use iTunes 90+% of the time, so I'm really disinclined to upgrade.

Edit: like this (this is my regular library, but same principle)

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 13, 2012

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Ahh I see what you're saying. The old implementation would show album art for the currently selected track.

I actually used it to track down random single tracks that didn't have album art by rapidly scrolling down my entire library and watching the album art window for white blips.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

Ahh I see what you're saying. The old implementation would show album art for the currently selected track.

I actually used it to track down random single tracks that didn't have album art by rapidly scrolling down my entire library and watching the album art window for white blips.

You could also make a smart playlist with "Has Artwork" is "no"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Drifter posted:

You could also make a smart playlist with "Has Artwork" is "no"

Is that a new option? Because I've never seen that before and had to rely on scripts to do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Juche Couture posted:

Yeah, I dislike that. I have a lot of playlists of things that are related - e.g. things by the same composer played by different performers, or an artist's discography including side projects by different names - and being able to scan through them quickly by the covers is useful. That's how I use iTunes 90+% of the time, so I'm really disinclined to upgrade.

Edit: like this (this is my regular library, but same principle)

You know you can change the view of a playlist to "Artist List" view and then select all artists to give it that appearance, right?

I thought you were talking about the little album art window at the bottom right corner of the sidebar.