Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

fancyclown posted:

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973), one of my absolute favourite films is getting re-relased by Criterion on DVD in January 2013. LINK.

Does anyone know if this means a blu-ray is coming too? The only blu-ray available right now is the spanish one relased by Vértice Cine. The transfer on that disc is not great so it would be awesome if Criterion released an upgrade.

It's going for $6 less on amazon.ca for anyone interested north of the border. I've been wanting to watch this for a while so it's great hearing some more enthusiasm to remind me! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I noticed Costco has the really nice collector's edition of Lawrence of Arabia for $49.99 after $7 instant discount ($56.99 before discount):

Great price--it's about $15 cheaper than Amazon.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I didn't know they put Friends on BD.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Harlock posted:

And did a really good job of it apparently.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Too bad the show will still be Friends.

:master:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ooooohhhhhhhhhthe first four seasons are still pretty good though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I keep forgetting that Lawrence's BD set is huge.

As a rule of thumb, are BDs released in Digibook format usually well done? The few I have are pretty awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Red posted:

I keep forgetting that Lawrence's BD set is huge.

As a rule of thumb, are BDs released in Digibook format usually well done? The few I have are pretty awesome.

They tend to at least look nice, but compared to something like Criterion, the actual "Book" part tends to be really trite; usually just a short history of the film's development at best.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They're also annoyingly slightly bigger than regular BD cases.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Harlock posted:

Googling around shows that the transfers are good, but for some reason they only put the broadcast versions of the episodes on the discs. The DVD sets have extended versions of some of the episodes. While its never a ton of content, it usually ends up making the episode a bit funnier, since the jokes that don't move the plot forward are cut. It's more noticeable for season finales/openers.

I Uhhh...probably like the show too much. Haven't double dipped for the BDs though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're also annoyingly slightly bigger than regular BD cases.

I think digibooks are annoying. They're not comfortable to read. Give me a regular Blu or Criterion case in a slipcover with a real separate book/booklet. Close Encounters of the Third Kind came in this beautiful sturdy glossy slipcase with the discs in a digipak (with a sleeve to hold a huge poster) and the booklet separate. And it's exactly regular Blu size.

From reading online, Masters of Cinema has The Passion of Joan of Arc packaged in a steelbook with a thick booklet, both in a thick slipcase.

Packaging shouldn't be a big deal, but I really admire the showmanship of some studios to give the appearance just as much attention as the excellent software inside. There's just something odd about a beautiful 4K restoration like Singin' in a Rain in a cheap blue plastic case inside a cheap cardboard box. One more reason why those Criterion cases are that much more special.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, the Criterion cases are really great: sturdy, thick, and not blue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, the Criterion cases are really great: sturdy, thick, and not blue.

Do a lot of people hate the blue cases that much? A friend of mine was here a while ago and sperged about them being bad "from a design standpoint" a while ago. I think they're were purposely made to stand out because the average consumer is probably too stupid to know the difference until they get home "Why won't mah DVD play!?".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Do a lot of people hate the blue cases that much? A friend of mine was here a while ago and sperged about them being bad "from a design standpoint" a while ago. I think they're were purposely made to stand out because the average consumer is probably too stupid to know the difference until they get home "Why won't mah DVD play!?".

I get the point of it, but it does get kinda samey.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I get the point of it, but it does get kinda samey.

I don't really get too worked up over the packaging of videos unless it's really lovely in a way that makes it possible to damage the actual media (Dark Sky Texas Chain Saw Massacre DVD). I do like the Criterion cases though, they're classy.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I like blu ray cases except when they have a snap close fold-over thing on the side or are "eco" cases that feel thin and lovely in hand.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When I bought the Social Network on blu through Borders' website, they sent me the dvd because the boxes looked really similar. I spent like 45 minutes on the customer help line trying to explain to the dude on the other end that they sent me the wrong format. The poor dude didn't really seem to know what a blu-ray was and kept insisting that I got what I ordered because it was a disc. I read him the UPC and everything, but finally communicated the difference by saying that it was like I ordered an LP and received an audio cassette.

I really hope I didn't come off like a condescending rear end in a top hat. But I can see how easily the formats can get confused.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Do a lot of people hate the blue cases that much?

Red cases were better :colbert:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jack Gladney posted:

When I bought the Social Network on blu through Borders' website, they sent me the dvd because the boxes looked really similar. I spent like 45 minutes on the customer help line trying to explain to the dude on the other end that they sent me the wrong format. The poor dude didn't really seem to know what a blu-ray was and kept insisting that I got what I ordered because it was a disc. I read him the UPC and everything, but finally communicated the difference by saying that it was like I ordered an LP and received an audio cassette.

I really hope I didn't come off like a condescending rear end in a top hat. But I can see how easily the formats can get confused.

I don't know, it sounds like you were pretty reasonable to someone who didn't know a really basic part of their job.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Jack Gladney posted:

If the person they put in charge of packaging DVDs and blu-rays for shipping literally cannot understand the difference between the two even after having it explained to him, that goes a long way toward explaining why Borders went out of business.

Edit: It's like when one of my college roommates took (stole) a 20 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper from me and replaced it with a 12 oz. can and thought we were square. "I took one Dr. Pepper and gave you back one Dr. Pepper. What's the problem? :downs:"

...! fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 12, 2012

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Tremors posted:

I like blu ray cases except when they have a snap close fold-over thing on the side or are "eco" cases that feel thin and lovely in hand.

If they are otherwise the standard blu-ray case that snaps closed you can just pull off the fold-over thing, it's not necessary to snap the case closed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know, it sounds like you were pretty reasonable to someone who didn't know a really basic part of their job.

I wasn't on the phone with the warehouse. I'm pretty sure he was in a call center somewhere where blu-ray hasn't become a common consumer good (although they certainly should have given him some documentation about what they were).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If someone doesn't know what a blu-ray is after the release of The Social Network, especially if their job might involve dealing with complaints about them, then they are simply a loving moron.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Red cases were better :colbert:

Give me your lunch money, nerd!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

As long as the case is capable of safely protecting the disc, I couldn't give a poo poo what it looks like.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I've said this before but yeah, the blue cases do annoy me slightly. DVD and VHS cases looked so much better because of no color coding and the film's own color scheme getting the preference. But also, even the red HD-DVD cases pleased my eyes more than the terrible blue of the blu-rays.

But I am dealing with it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Give me your lunch money, nerd!

Come and get it, you Blacula lovin' motherfucka! You'll never get past my fortress of HD-DVD cases!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Come and get it, you Blacula lovin' motherfucka! You'll never get past my fortress of HD-DVD cases!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You leave Mamuwalde out of this!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

sportsgenius86 posted:

As long as the case is capable of safely protecting the disc, I couldn't give a poo poo what it looks like.
Yeah, I'm the kind of person who doesn't even publically display his Blu-rays. They're just piled up inside the drawers of my entertainment unit. I literally don't care what the case looks like.

That said, I actually like the ones that have the fold-over on the side because if they are going to start sticking them in the flimsy eco-cases anyways, I'ld like the peace of mind that the disc won't easily fall out during transit.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

parasyte posted:

If they are otherwise the standard blu-ray case that snaps closed you can just pull off the fold-over thing, it's not necessary to snap the case closed.

You don't even need to pull it off. The cases are designed to work with and without the extra mechanism. If you open the blu-ray case you can actually lock the tab down. Just push it down until it clicks and you can now use the case without the extra locking mechanism and without purposely damaging it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

BitterAvatar posted:

You don't even need to pull it off. The cases are designed to work with and without the extra mechanism. If you open the blu-ray case you can actually lock the tab down. Just push it down until it clicks and you can now use the case without the extra locking mechanism and without purposely damaging it.

Apparently so. Learn something new every day.

Though I'm the kind of person who will throw away a slipcase if it otherwise is the same art as what's underneath the plastic of the case.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

parasyte posted:

Though I'm the kind of person who will throw away a slipcase if it otherwise is the same art as what's underneath the plastic of the case.
Too bad you haven't discovered the slipcover threads on the various blu-ray forums, you're throwing away a lot of potential money from OCD people.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

fancyclown posted:

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973), one of my absolute favourite films

You are wise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

Too bad you haven't discovered the slipcover threads on the various blu-ray forums, you're throwing away a lot of potential money from OCD people.

How much do these dickheads shell out for this nonsense and where do I got to take advantage of them?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nothing will top that one photo from blu-ray.com's forums where that dude had a whole section of his shelf partitioned for Jena Malone movies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm not crazy about the blue blu-ray cases, but the green ones are even worse. The Incredible Hulk sticks out like a sore thumb on my shelf. Green Lantern also has a green case for the Blu Ray and DVD.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
One thing I've noticed is that the old cardboard snap DVD cases (used by WB, New Line, and probably a few other studios) look new, regardless of age. Way back when, I thought they looked cheap compared to the standard plastic black cases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Paramount is releasing their new 4K restoration of Cecil B. DeMille's Samson and Deliah....

on a bare-bones DVD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The thing I'm most happy about with Blu art, with steelbooks and similar editions (Social Network being one), they're now putting all the marketing gumph on throwaway cardboard inserts under the shrink wrap. I don't need to be reminded that some no-name critic awarded the film 5* every time I pick a disc up. Rip em out and straight in the trash.

Also my hatred of BBFC logos, I think I counted 18 of the drat things throughout my Oceans Trilogy boxset. A small rating on the back like in the US is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will also say that in general (not always) they will put the better/artsier poster art on the blu-ray than on the dvd.

• Locked thread