Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Just get something with the processor and memory you want and get an IBM M1015 off ebay or where ever to handle the drives.

yomisei posted:

The ability for ECC in Intel chips comes from their integrated memory controller and therefore only the Xeons (and new server based atoms like the S1200) can do this. I'm not really sure about what chipset the MB needs to be, but I think it is irrelevant as long as it mounts a Xeon.

I could also be very wrong :shrug:

I *think* they all take ECC but some need unbuffered and some need registered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

yomisei posted:

The ability for ECC in Intel chips comes from their integrated memory controller and therefore only the Xeons (and new server based atoms like the S1200) can do this. I'm not really sure about what chipset the MB needs to be, but I think it is irrelevant as long as it mounts a Xeon.

I could also be very wrong :shrug:

Yeah, ECC has been segmented off to server CPUs + other special cases. There are extra signals that need to be routed to support ECC, but a board intended for the above CPUs will generally take care of this for you.

There's also BIOS support required, but again if it's designed for a Xeon, it would be the utter epitome of :psyduck: to leave it out of the BIOS. Old high-end eVGA boards I think would route the ECC signals regardless so whether you loaded a Xeon or a i7-9xx, you could have ECC.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Chelsio has the best BSD drivers for 10G NICs.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Yeah, I just talked to my sister and they're getting 2 years of the family plan from us for christmas. :ms:

I'm doing the same but I'm also getting my mom a 1 TB single USB drive she can plug in once a month. She will be using Time Machine but a script would be just as good.

I've seen corporate IT double failures including off-site backups so for my really important stuff I like to have a 3rd option and just keep it as simple as possible.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Christmas came a little early this year...

:smug:

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 14, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
:fap:

What are you using for an enclosure?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nostrum posted:

Christmas came a little early this year...

:smug:

That's with compression enabled. Pretty happy!

I know you're super excited but no need for us to see what you're copying to and from places. *cough*

What are they going to be running in?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

The reviews on NewEgg list a LOT of DOA/quick failures for those WD Red drives. Makes me a bit nervous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

crm posted:

The reviews on NewEgg list a LOT of DOA/quick failures for Every Hard Drive Ever Made

This isn't exactly a new thing, hard drives have a high rate of 'infant mortality' - if a drive is going to break in the warranty period, it's probably going to break very early on. All the more reason to make sure part of your process with a new build / new array is a burn-in period to try to identify any drives that will fail.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

crm posted:

The reviews on NewEgg list a LOT of DOA/quick failures for those WD Red drives. Makes me a bit nervous.

People who get duds tend to be the most vocal and brand polarized, you can't really trust Newegg reviews unless there is a clear pattern or consensus. The WD Red drives are excellent but pricey unless you get them on sale. I went with some Seagate 3TBs for my latest build and while they are a tad noisier the performance has been great. My fileserver is headless and sits in a closet anyways so it didn't really matter. If I could've gotten the WD Reds for $90 like the Seagates then I would've been all over that.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
The Seagate Barracuda 3TB are consuming about twice the power of a WD Red, also getting quite a bit hotter by that account. If you run them constantly for a few years their price difference vanishes in the electric bill. Their more silent operation is also more reassuring than the occasional cirp by the Seagates.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

movax posted:

I know you're super excited but no need for us to see what you're copying to and from places. *cough*

What are they going to be running in?

It's in this:

code:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC 
Intel Celeron G555 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor 
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter
Transcend JetFlash 500 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Red) Model TS4GJF500
G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
6 x Western Digital WEWD30EFRX 3 TB WD Red SATA 3.5" NAS Hard Drive
Running Openindiana with Napp-it, raidz2.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

yomisei posted:

The Seagate Barracuda 3TB are consuming about twice the power of a WD Red, also getting quite a bit hotter by that account. If you run them constantly for a few years their price difference vanishes in the electric bill. Their more silent operation is also more reassuring than the occasional cirp by the Seagates.

Eh the reds were literally double the price up here in Canada and the 3W difference (only at load) isn't amortized in a year or two. In terms of temps mine are running at low 30s in a Fractal R4 with the default single 140mm intake. I have no doubt that the reds are better drives and they would have been my first choice but I have parity + backups and the differences were too minor for me to care. I'll see how their reliability is in the long term though, maybe that will make me change my mind later on.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Figure an average of 2W more from the Seagate, x 6 drives x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year = 105KWh/year @ $0.08/KWh = $8.40/year more for the Seagates. Even at current Amazon prices of $834 vs $894 it'll be 7.15 years before the Reds pull ahead. 4.77 years if the drives are fully loaded 24/7, at which point failure rates play into it a lot more than power costs.

And if you got your Barracudas on black friday for $90... forget about it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kind of want to swap my WHS into FreeNAS. How complicated would getting my data over be?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Does anybody have a link to a guide for what to order with a Proliant N40L to make it awesome?

(or equivalently priced hardware will work too)

What's the recommended RAID setup for one of those? What's the best OS to run with it? FreeNAS?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chuu posted:

I was trying to find a Mini-ITX motherboard that supports ECC memory with 6 SATA ports to serve as the base for a 6 drive Raid-Z2 FreeNAS system. I could not find any. Tons of consumer ITX motherboards with 6x slots but don't support ECC. A couple Xeon ITX boards that support ECC but only 4x SATA on board. Am I missing something or does this product not exist?

Replying to my own post because I discovered that this does exist. It's the Portwell WADE-8011. These are not sold through retail channels and are not sold individually. The only sales info I could find was a group buy by an Australian forum where the final price was around $200/ea. shipped.

If there is some interest besides myself I wonder if a group buy on the US side could be started.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Chuu posted:

I was trying to find a Mini-ITX motherboard that supports ECC memory with 6 SATA ports to serve as the base for a 6 drive Raid-Z2 FreeNAS system. I could not find any. Tons of consumer ITX motherboards with 6x slots but don't support ECC. A couple Xeon ITX boards that support ECC but only 4x SATA on board. Am I missing something or does this product not exist?
Does it have to be mini-ITX? SuperMicro has plenty of micro-ATX motherboards.
I'm in the process of spec'ing out a system for myself which has a Fractal Define Mini, SuperMicro X9SCL-F, Xeon E3-1230V2 and 32GB unbuffered ECC memory for running FreeNAS along with a GPU forwarded via VT-d to OpenELEC in ESXi.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

Does it have to be mini-ITX? SuperMicro has plenty of micro-ATX motherboards.
I'm in the process of spec'ing out a system for myself which has a Fractal Define Mini, SuperMicro X9SCL-F, Xeon E3-1230V2 and 32GB unbuffered ECC memory for running FreeNAS along with a GPU forwarded via VT-d to OpenELEC in ESXi.

For my purposes it would have been ideal to be able to cram this all into a Node 304, but yeah, I'm starting to realize how much I would have to give up to move from mATX to ITX.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

crm posted:

Does anybody have a link to a guide for what to order with a Proliant N40L to make it awesome?

(or equivalently priced hardware will work too)

What's the recommended RAID setup for one of those? What's the best OS to run with it? FreeNAS?

All you need to stuff 5 drives in the N40L is a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter. For 6 drives there's an adapter but I forget the name.

The PSU isn't that powerful though, I don't know if I'd trust it to run 6 drives but people have reported success. You'll also want 8 or 16 gigs of memory (I bought Kingston ECC).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
From earlier in the thread:

IT Guy posted:

A 6th drive will fit in the N40L with no hacking necessary. All that is required is this and this.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ninja Rope posted:

All you need to stuff 5 drives in the N40L is a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter. For 6 drives there's an adapter but I forget the name.

The PSU isn't that powerful though, I don't know if I'd trust it to run 6 drives but people have reported success. You'll also want 8 or 16 gigs of memory (I bought Kingston ECC).
Most people using 6 drives have at least one of them as SSDs, which helps keep the power budget in check. And while you don't need to do any physical hacking (just route the eSATA port on the back in through a vent or something), you will want to flash the BIOS.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

DrDork posted:

Most people using 6 drives have at least one of them as SSDs, which helps keep the power budget in check.

Not me. 6 5400 rpm drives and it runs fine.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Can you run hardware RAID 5 on those N40L boxes? Or do you have to add in extra hardware?

edit: ok apparently you need to add a card.

It seems with all the extra stuff you have to do to fit those 6 drives in that it's a better idea to just build your own custom box. Am I wrong?

crm fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 15, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Most people using a N36L or N40L are using software raid such as zfs. The extra work to use 6 drives instead of 4 is to spend a few bucks on an esata -> sata cable and a little bracket to fit two 3.5" drives in a 5.25" bay. This is significantly cheaper, albeit not as flexible, as a DIY NAS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

crm posted:

Can you run hardware RAID 5 on those N40L boxes? Or do you have to add in extra hardware?
There's basically no reason to run hardware RAID5 when you can get software ZFS RAIDZ to run well on the N40L with virtually no effort.

As to whether it's a good idea or not to run 6 drives on a N40L vice a DIY NAS, it really depends on what else you've got in your list of requirements. The N40L is effective, cheap, and small. However it doesn't have any room for future expansion, is limited on ports (wouldn't be great as a HTPC), and has mediocre performance compared to more full-fledged solutions. If you just want a box to store some stuff on, though, it's really hard to top.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

DrDork posted:

There's basically no reason to run hardware RAID5 when you can get software ZFS RAIDZ to run well on the N40L with virtually no effort.

Hmm, ok, that makes sense. What OS are you running to support ZFS?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You can run any of a variety of Solarix setups, FreeBSD, etc. By far the most popular are FreeNAS and NAS4Free, which both offer plug-and-play setup, built-in applications for the most popular tasks (BitTorrent, CFIS, FTP, etc), and a decent web-based GUI so you can run the entire thing headless.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If Linux is your thing zfs on Linux works fine as well.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I can't seem to find anything more recent than early 2011.

How's the performance of ZFS on non-Solaris systems compared to, say, mdadm? (for ~6 disk single distributed parity setup)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Comradephate posted:

How's the performance of ZFS on non-Solaris systems compared to, say, mdadm? (for ~6 disk single distributed parity setup)

I have nothing but utter, complete hatred for mdadm right now. mdadm silently switched my metatdata from 0.9 to 1.2, utterly loving my LVM groups. Tried to restore the LVM metadata, but seems like everything is still mis-aligned. I had to go into hexedit and manually hunt down superblocks and try to dd them to a different drive to recover files :(

That rant aside (my Friday :qq:), apparently thanks to LLNL ZFS on Linux is pretty slick; I don't know if I'll switch having gotten used to the in-kernel CIFS server + using NFSv4 ACLs for access control, but nice to see the option there.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Comradephate posted:

I imagine ZFS is significantly slower at some tasks (since it performs checksuming of all (meta-)data) and faster at others (resilvering only allocated space). The fact that the filesystem, RAID, and volume management are all united would probably save you time, though.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I somehow had completely missed LLNL and was just looking at FUSE. Between that less-than-glowing anecdote about mdadm and my desire to gently caress around with ZFS, I think I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Comradephate posted:

I somehow had completely missed LLNL and was just looking at FUSE. Between that less-than-glowing anecdote about mdadm and my desire to gently caress around with ZFS, I think I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Oh, mdadm usually doesn't cause that many problems and is generally a pretty good solution. I was just really angry because I blew a workday trying to unfuck the cesspool of mdadm + LVM + ext4 because it had about as much documentation as your average FOSS project and as a result fell behind on a customer release :(

But more converts to the cult of ZFS is always good :science:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Well, I was kind of looking for a good reason to choose ZFS anyway. FUSE just seemed really unappealing. Just need to get a processor and power supply and I'll be good to go. :V

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Semi silly question. I'm buying an antec case and 8 drives to make a freeNAS RAIDZ3 array. Is it smarter to use 2 5in3 ICY Dock bays to fit these, or just put them in the case without the ICY DOck bays? I know people have mentioned the backplanes won't fail, but if they do they can wipe out 5 drives with them. Do people recommend docks over no docks? I've alluded to this concern before, the bays have gotten not so great reviews on newegg

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The ONLY reason for you to be using a 5-in-3 with a backplane is because you HAVE TO in order to fit the drives in, or because that's the only way to get some other feature (like hot-swapping). If you can do it without any dock bays, do it that way--it's the easiest and the cheapest. If you can't, but could get by with a 4-in-3 without a backplane, do that, instead. Cheap backplanes are only asking for trouble.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 17, 2012

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

DrDork posted:

As to whether it's a good idea or not to run 6 drives on a N40L vice a DIY NAS, it really depends on what else you've got in your list of requirements. The N40L is effective, cheap, and small. However it doesn't have any room for future expansion, is limited on ports (wouldn't be great as a HTPC), and has mediocre performance compared to more full-fledged solutions. If you just want a box to store some stuff on, though, it's really hard to top.

It works fine as a htpc. I've got one in my parents lounge running Win 7, software raid 5 and using xbmc as the front end. All you need is a cheap passively cooled and video card to run audio over HDMI.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

It works fine as a htpc. I've got one in my parents lounge running Win 7, software raid 5 and using xbmc as the front end. All you need is a cheap passively cooled and video card to run audio over HDMI.

Hijacking this topic, what's the difference between software RAID5 and Storage Spaces (in Windows 8)? I was planning on switching my N40L over from Ubuntu/ZFS to Windows 8/Storage Spaces, but if I can stick to Win7/Raid5 I'd probably be happier with that. I've got no plans to upgrade the capacity of the pool (it's 4x2tb ==6tb with redundancy at the moment), just hadn't realised you could do software RAID in Windows. I guess the performance is better than Storage Spaces too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Froist posted:

Hijacking this topic, what's the difference between software RAID5 and Storage Spaces (in Windows 8)? I was planning on switching my N40L over from Ubuntu/ZFS to Windows 8/Storage Spaces, but if I can stick to Win7/Raid5 I'd probably be happier with that. I've got no plans to upgrade the capacity of the pool (it's 4x2tb ==6tb with redundancy at the moment), just hadn't realised you could do software RAID in Windows. I guess the performance is better than Storage Spaces too?

The closest equivalent Storage Spaces has to RAID5/RAIDZ1 really works more like Drobo's BeyondRAID. You can throw a bunch of different size disks at it, *magic* happens, and you get a storage pool that both offers redundancy makes the most efficient use of the disks. (It's not really magic, of course, but how it's carving things up behind the scenes is hidden from you. The BeyondRAID section in that wiki article I linked does a good job of explaining how a Drobo might handle different size disks. I'm assuming Storage Spaces works in a similar way.)