Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Persistent crashing when I try and enter...this thread, ironically. Also when I try and enter the "Inspect Your Gadgets" forum. iOS 6.0.1, iPad Mini. Console output if that helps.

e: Oddly, I can get into the iPad thread in IYG just fine via my bookmarks, but jumping to the parent forum from inside the thread also causes the crash.

This one's baffling me. Any way you can get me the crash log? You can mail me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca. Let me know if you need a hand getting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Pissflaps posted:

I was able to make a post with the new Awful app.

I can confirm that posts are being made with this app.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I think I figured it out, but fire away with the console anyway. You can use something like System Console.

Okay, here's my console output:

2012-12-13 22:28:38 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[__NSArrayI objectAtIndex:]: index 1 beyond bounds [0 .. 0]'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x371022a3 0x313e997f 0x3704ce8d 0x9cfbf 0x52913 0x388296ad 0x38829319 0x389a93fb 0x387d8e99 0x38949a1d 0x9f657 0x9f3a7 0x52221 0x389929ab 0x387c3057 0x387c26cd 0x387c211b 0x355fa5a3 0x355fa1d3 0x370d7173 0x370d7117 0x370d5f99 0x37048ebd 0x37048d49 0x355f92eb 0x388162f9 0x53b33 0x4eae0)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Awesome job!

Any way the three top buttons could be a bit darker in dark mode? I'm generally reading in pitch black, and they pop out a bit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

2012-12-13 22:28:38 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[__NSArrayI objectAtIndex:]: index 1 beyond bounds [0 .. 0]'
(0x371022a3 0x313e997f 0x3704ce8d 0x9cfbf 0x52913 0x388296ad 0x38829319 0x389a93fb 0x387d8e99 0x38949a1d 0x9f657 0x9f3a7 0x52221 0x389929ab 0x387c3057 0x387c26cd 0x387c211b 0x355fa5a3 0x355fa1d3 0x370d7173 0x370d7117 0x370d5f99 0x37048ebd 0x37048d49 0x355f92eb 0x388162f9 0x53b33 0x4eae0)

Can you hit me with a crash report? It would be very helpful.

pokeyman posted:

You can mail me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca. Let me know if you need a hand getting that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

Also did it crash when you tapped the spoiler text? Or the username in the quote? Or something else?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Has pinch to zoom been added back in, some form? Am I just too dumb to find it?

If not, is it going to be added back in eventually?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It's not back in. It is coming. It was discussed in the last page.

By the way, pokeyman you kick serious rear end. This app is awesome. Thanks for all of the time and effort you've invested (same goes to designers and beta testers!).

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 14, 2012

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
1.9 is the goddamn best. Really digging the scroll to end button. I think the page scrolling back to the top when you're reading a page bug is gone too, great job!

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004
My feedback for 1.9 -

Can the "scroll to end" and other buttons start just above view, so you have to scroll up to see them if you are reading new posts? On a page you have read, they should be shown automatically as they are today.

"Pull to reload" is barely doable one-handed on an iPhone 5 (you have to drag so far up to trigger it) - can this be made more sensitive?

I love the tweaks to look and feel and application features - specifically "scroll to end" and the new scrolling with velocity.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

var1ety posted:

My feedback for 1.9 -

[...]

"Pull to reload" is barely doable one-handed on an iPhone 5 (you have to drag so far up to trigger it) - can this be made more sensitive?

I love the tweaks to look and feel and application features - specifically "scroll to end" and the new scrolling with velocity.
I agree with these two things. Also, 1.9 no longer goes straight to the first unread post. Don't know if it was intentional, but I'm not a fan.

I do love the cosmetic as well as functionality tweaks, though. "Scroll to End", pull to refresh page, new reload animation, automatic reload when you go back to bookmarks, "loading new posts", and even the transition when you edit a post--all good stuff. Keep up the good work, and thanks!

e--oh yeah, and my favorite thing that was in the Android awful app but never in any Apple awful app: post links stay within the app.

Gio fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 14, 2012

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Edit: Dear God I missed the conversation by a bunch of pages.

Liking 1.9!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
OMG you guys, I just got 2.0 and it's so cool. :3:

Edit: j/k 1.9 and it's still jawesome

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The new iPad background is pretty awesome.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

pokeyman posted:

This one's baffling me. Any way you can get me the crash log? You can mail me at pokeyman@nolanw.ca. Let me know if you need a hand getting that.

Sorry, couldn't read this thread because I do my thread reading on my iPad :shobon:

What you have is, I believe, more than one crash. I ended up having it crash again when clicking an archived link in the CAD thread, so I just uninstalled clean and reinstalled. No issues yet so I assume it was some cache issue from upgrading? If I start running into it again I'll see what I can get to you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sounds good. Sorry about the crashes.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Sorry, couldn't read this thread because I do my thread reading on my iPad :shobon:

What you have is, I believe, more than one crash. I ended up having it crash again when clicking an archived link in the CAD thread, so I just uninstalled clean and reinstalled. No issues yet so I assume it was some cache issue from upgrading? If I start running into it again I'll see what I can get to you.
(sorry I quoted this because I was too lazy to write words to get a scrollbar, this post has nothing to do with the quote)

Test it works

hooray

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you need some way to hint that there's more thread pages, might the "torn paper" zig zag that twitter sometimes does work?

A few time I've missed that more pages await because my brain ignores the page counter at the bottom. Some visual hint might be useful.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

If you need some way to hint that there's more thread pages, might the "torn paper" zig zag that twitter sometimes does work?

A few time I've missed that more pages await because my brain ignores the page counter at the bottom. Some visual hint might be useful.

It took some getting used to for me, but you just have to watch for "End of Thread" instead.

To be fair it also didn't matter, since I'd refresh the bookmarks and see more posts anyways :shobon:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alright, 1.9.1 is off to the App Store. I wanted to get it submitted ASAP to hopefully sneak in before the App Store Review Holiday in a week. It'll be close.

I managed to fix a lot of bugs, but I might have missed yours. Keep shouting and it'll get fixed eventually.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

xzzy posted:

I'm struggling with this too. Maybe swapping the placement of the ad and the "Pull to refresh"?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Thanks for adding marked back in 1.9.1. Looks fine so far.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

xzzy posted:

It seems like a trivial thing to complain about, but I would love a little indicator of some kind that there are more pages as well.

What is the current thinking on an in-app browser? It seems unnecessary to switch to safari when you're just clicking a linked image and back when you're done. I like that forum links open internally now (they didn't before, right?) but there doesn't seem to be a reason for imgur links to go to safari.

Oh yeah, and no problems with the blank screen showing up in 6.0.1, at least so far.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

What is the current thinking on an in-app browser? It seems unnecessary to switch to safari when you're just clicking a linked image and back when you're done. I like that forum links open internally now (they didn't before, right?) but there doesn't seem to be a reason for imgur links to go to safari.

I believe the plan is to bring it back, it's just on pokeyman's gigantic to-do list.

Caffeinated Sloth
Apr 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Using Awful 1.9, I think there is an issue with the new custom tab bar and accessibility labels. Buttons aren't being correctly identified.

Starting app. Forums tab is displayed.
Buttons on tab bar from left to right are: Forums (selected), then 3 unidentified buttons.
Selecting the second of these brings up the Favorites tab.
Buttons from left to right are now: Favorites, Favorites (selected), and two unidentified buttons.
Selecting the third button brings up the Bookmarks tab.
Buttons from left to right are now: Favorites, Bookmarks, Bookmarks (selected), and an unidentified button.
Selecting the fourth button brings up the Settings tab
Buttons from left to right are now: Favorites, Bookmarks, Settings, and Settings (selected).
Selecting the first button brings up the Forums tab.
Buttons from left to right are now: Forums (selected), Bookmarks, Settings, Forums.

Other than that, no issues. Thanks for the continuing updates.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Alright, 1.9.1 is off to the App Store. I wanted to get it submitted ASAP to hopefully sneak in before the App Store Review Holiday in a week. It'll be close.

I managed to fix a lot of bugs, but I might have missed yours. Keep shouting and it'll get fixed eventually.

I'm having a new bug that breaks this app for me since the latest release came out. When I go to my bookmarks and select a thread it takes me to the top of the page with my last unread post instead of to the last unread post directly. Any one else experiencing this?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Yeah. There's a temporary fix for it. On your user control panel options set read posts to be shaded in a different color, and Awful will start jumping to the first unread post again.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Tiramisu posted:

Yeah. There's a temporary fix for it. On your user control panel options set read posts to be shaded in a different color, and Awful will start jumping to the first unread post again.

Took me awhile to realize you meant site settings and not app settings but thank you!

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I have a weird thing where (I assume because my username is only two letters this probably doesn't affect too many people) whenever I see a word that starts with "Ev" it's a different color than the rest of the text.

Doesn't seem to happen unless the E is capitalized.

Sorry if someone's already mentioned something like this, I didn't see it if anyone did.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, there's a "mentions" feature in the app settings that will highlight any occurrence of your user name.

Guess it's just a simple text match. I guess it could be smarter by requiring white space on either side of the string occurrence, but there's still cases where that can fail.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ev posted:

I have a weird thing where (I assume because my username is only two letters this probably doesn't affect too many people) whenever I see a word that starts with "Ev" it's a different color than the rest of the text.

Doesn't seem to happen unless the E is capitalized.

Sorry if someone's already mentioned something like this, I didn't see it if anyone did.

If you turn off "Highlight Mentions" in the app settings, that'll go away for now. We should do a better job teasing out whether someone's actually saying your name.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

In addition to the previous YOSPOS design thing, I've noticed what appears to be a full bug.

In contrast to the older versions, "mark read to here" no longer shows an on-screen confirmation. Is this intended?

It was pretty useful to know that it had worked and so I am assuming it's a mistake.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah I took it out, it's back in 1.9.1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Yeah I took it out, it's back in 1.9.1.

It's starting to sound like every single feature in the app needs to come with a yes/no box to turn it off and on. :v:

The joys of writing software and trying to make everyone happy.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

If you turn off "Highlight Mentions" in the app settings, that'll go away for now. We should do a better job teasing out whether someone's actually saying your name.

That did it, thanks. And thanks so much for all the time you (and everyone involved) put into this app. Digging the 1.9 upgrade.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

One quick question- under what situations will going to your bookmarks page make it auto-refresh?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

One quick question- under what situations will going to your bookmarks page make it auto-refresh?

I believe it refreshes if it hasn't been refreshed in X minutes. Not sure how long X is.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Quick bug: mailto links are treated as SA links, and tap-holding the link doesn't give you the option to copy link url or anything.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
How complex would it be to add a toggle for avatar animations so they are displayed but just not animated?

Sometimes I am checking forums when I am tired/sick or when I first wake up and flashing crap all over while I am trying to read text gets annoying.

I don't know if anyone else would use this feature, so if its too complicated then forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I shut the avatars off entirely and am happier for it. :v:

• Locked thread