Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

That wheel is repairable. The tire, not so much.

Some states, like Vermont, won't let it pas inspection with repaired wheels. In fact, there aren't even any shops left that do wheel repairs here. You can repaint, but no straightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sold it. Well, sold one of them anyway. The G8 is gone, with an Acura TSX and a healthy amount of cash to replace it. The STi is basically sold as well, should be doing the paperwork on Friday. This will being me down to 3 cars (including the Mustang that sits in the garage 99% of the time) - so less insurance, registration, inspection etc. I'm sad to see the STi and G8 go, but this is for once a decision based on practicality and not impulse/emotion.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I am sorry to hear that. I still love my G8, well almost as much as the day I bought it. If you don't mind me asking how much did you get for it? Unlike most GM cars, they are supposed to be holding their value extremely well.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
This is how I spent most of my weekend;

Little bit of PB Blaster to break the spindle nuts loose. No idea how long these axles have been on the car but they didn't come off without a fight.

Lower ball joint and suspension fork out and the CV Axle just slides on out, easy as pie!

Old vs. New, new CV axle installed with new front pads and then new rear pads as well. The front pads looked good but the rears were all the way down to the squealers so they feel a lot better now. The parking brake release on both rear calipers is hosed up though so I'm going to order a new cable and calipers and that's next on my to do list. After all that I cleaned up the engine bay a little;

Obligatory;

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You have no idea how much this makes me miss my Integra. :smith:

The only things I can contribute...

Two lights said hello yesterday. One was expected due to being poor and unable to afford more than :10bux: of gas at a time..

Master cylinder was basically empty. A quick look under the car revealed that the LR wheel cylinder is leaking enough that it will need attention really soon, and the RF caliper may be sticking (inner+outer pads heavily worn on that side, LF looks brand new... as it should, since this set of front brakes has far less than 5k on it). On the plus side, discovered this DIY garage the other day (15 minutes from the house), I can no longer say "I can't fix it because I don't have a garage or ramps", or well, even tools... they include a good set of tools in the bay rental. :v:

Added yet another parking sticker to the Altima. This makes 3 - 1 for the community college that I'm currently full time at, 1 for the university that I'm taking 3 hours at, 1 for the DART rail parking lot (they normally charge for parking at the busiest park-and-ride stations) - and oh yeah, each of these stickers demands a different spot on the car, natch.. I just wish I'd found out sooner that I could request a "Resident" sticker for the rail lot, I've been paying a daily rate to park there for the past year when I go out there. Just have to fill out a 1 page form and show ID + proof of vehicle ownership to get a permit... :arghfist:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 13, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Let's start a "buy STR a new car" fund :v:

Now I wish I lived in Plano...although I will at least have my own driveway soon. :woop:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

_firehawk posted:

I am sorry to hear that. I still love my G8, well almost as much as the day I bought it. If you don't mind me asking how much did you get for it? Unlike most GM cars, they are supposed to be holding their value extremely well.

We still love the G8 as well, but it wasn't being driven. We were trying to keep it nice and so it sat for weeks behind the house while the wife drove her beater Outback instead. It went to a REALLY good friend of mine who is LS-obsessed (he has an LS-powere F-body that runs like 8.20 at 160mph), so I know he will take care of it. I ended up getting around $20k including cash and his TSX, mostly cash. If I had sold it on CL I would have asked for $22k.

JerseyDevil
Jun 26, 2009

That wheel is repairable. The tire, not so much.

Well considering I could fit 3 fingers in the hole it created, I would imagine the tire was shot. Luckily though, the wheel doesn't even need to be repaired. I took it to the dealership and they mounted and balanced a new tire and stress tested it (or so they said) to make sure it wouldn't lose air. It turns out the damage is purely cosmetic. That white spot on the tire in the photo is just road gunk.

I drove it home gingerly, and then later drove it on the Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike to Newark, where the roads are, to put it gently, less than meticulously maintained. There were no issues that I could tell, aside from one small thing I noticed. I was accelerating from a standstill (red light) and went to switch into the left lane to pass a slow moving truck. It pulled harder than I expected to the left, which was the side that was damaged. Could there be suspension/steering damage? What parts would commonly be affected? I didn't notice any trouble at speed, even when switching lanes, and this was the only time I felt the moderate left pull. I'm almost inclined to chalk it up to the single new tire (I know, replace both fronts at once, yadda yadda but I'm due for a whole new set in a few months), but I want to be sure that everything is ok under there. I figure this is the place to bring it up. Any input, AI Goons?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Could have just been torque steer too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I guess 'STR Kickstarter' would be apropos. :haw:

Nothing much done - just re-winterized the 2008s, and the 2001.

JerseyDevil
Jun 26, 2009

mutt2jeff posted:

I've never had torque steer with it in the past, and I wasn't accelerating hard or anything, just getting up to speed. It's only the I4 model Accord coupe, rated at 162 lb ft and 190hp. Not saying it's an impossibility, though. Could a tire mismatch induce torque steer?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Totally understand. Good news with the DIY garage. Get to work!
I know AI would probably freak, but if you have a sticking wheel cylinder you can buy yourself some time by removing the caliper, using a G or F clamp(s) with a bit of wood or a dead brake pad as a buffer you can crush the poo poo out of the cylinder until it starts to budge. Push it all the way in. Remove the clamps. VERY CAREFULLY push the brake pedal a bit while checking on the wheel cylinder. It pays to have something jammed in the space where the pads go so you don't pop the cylinder out. Repeat a few times until it seems free enough. Put the new pads on, assuming the old ones are poo poo, and reassemble.
Now bleed the fuckers. There are good odds that the fluid in there is full of moisture / rust / crap.
I've had to do this a few times over in the past few months alone on the VW and the Ford, and have done it as long as I can remember on things.

I hope for your sake the low fuel is only a light. Mine has a warning beep associated with it. Ford designed a setup to train a Pavlovian response of sorts. Now whenever I start the car I start furiously bashing away on the "Reset" button whether I have to or not. In truth I'd rather hear the low fuel beep any day over the other beep. The other beep makes me feel sick to my stomach and possibly even gives my adrenaline a kick. It's the "HOLY poo poo!" beep. Can be heard when oil pressure hits 0, the temperature gauge pegs and that sort of thing. Interestingly it seems to be independent of the gauges and the gauge limit lights.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Took it to the body shop - should get it back in a week. Bumming rides sucks balls but being the boss and being able to get my coworker to give me rides is AI as gently caress.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh god. I just realised that STR's smiley quote combo I did is like some tripper giving an unsatisfying handjob for $10.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Hella loud Hella Supertones for my hellaflush ride

...yeah, I spent money on a horn for aesthetics :suicide:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It looks like your car has pig nostrils now.

Either that or Johnny-5 is hiding under the hood.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

On the plus side, discovered this DIY garage the other day (15 minutes from the house), I can no longer say "I can't fix it because I don't have a garage or ramps", or well, even tools... they include a good set of tools in the bay rental. :v:
Goddam do I want something like that near me. That looks awesome.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

ExecuDork posted:

Goddam do I want something like that near me. That looks awesome.
Agreed, that looks fantastic. Wonder if there's anything like that in Maryland, I'd kill for a garage to tool around in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I had several chances to wind it way out today, including 3+ "OH poo poo REDLINE" opportunities, and saw absolutely zero smoke. I'm gonna guess (and hope) that the smoke I thought I saw was actually a bunch of dirt on the road..... especially since the oil is still at the same level on the dipstick, 1300 miles after my last oil change... :smithicide:

General_Failure posted:

I hope for your sake the low fuel is only a light. Mine has a warning beep associated with it.

It is, in fact, only a light. The only beeps from the car are the "loving PUT ON YOUR SEAT BELT", "TAKE THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION YOU STUPID rear end in a top hat", and "WHY DID YOU OPEN THE DOOR WITH THE HEADLIGHTS ON?!?!" beeps. And the seat belt beep has been "removed" - I pulled the seat awhile back to fix something-or-other, and may have forgotten to plug a few things back in. At least there's no longer a screeching BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP every time I start the car.

And I've done most of what you suggested for the wheels.

Only if it has a manual transmission, but otherwise, please feel free - the Shitaltima will be donated for science if that happens :v:

General_Failure posted:

Oh god. I just realised that STR's smiley quote combo I did is like some tripper giving an unsatisfying handjob for $10.

I give satisfying handjobs (so I'm told), and generally for less than :10bux:. Or way, way more, depending how well I know you. :haw:

mutt2jeff posted:

Accords since the start of the 1998 model year have had equal-length axles.

As for the Hellatones, I went to a junkyard and snagged the horns from a 1990 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Instead of the little, barely audible "meep meep", it's more of a "HONK MOTHERFUCKING HONK, BITCH". I got sick of Suburbans trying to become one with the side of my car..

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The first time i got down to ~5 gallons in my F150, it drat near gave me a heart attack with the warning sound it made.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Only if it has a manual transmission, but otherwise, please feel free - the Shitaltima will be donated for science if that happens :v:

You nad me both. In a few years you won't even be able to get a new manual car anymore :sigh:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You nad me both. In a few years you won't even be able to get a new manual car anymore :sigh:

I've heard this for the past 2 decades but new cars keep coming with manuals.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Today on the TSX I installed a new Tanabe Medallion exhaust, put on the stock wheels w/ winter tires, and replaced the rear o2 sensor (which involved removing the front passenger seat). Had to get new gaskets for the exhaust and new lug nuts for the wheels. All in all, about 2.5 hours of work.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GutBomb posted:

I've heard this for the past 2 decades but new cars keep coming with manuals.

Manuals are getting more and more rare though and as much as I hate to admit it modern automatics and dual-clutches are pretty drat good. The day is coming when a clutch and stick option will cost the manufacturer too much to even have as an option.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

It would be nice if paddle shifters replaced fully manual clutch and stick transmissions in the future. Paddle shifters are cool and I imagine are a lot less annoying to manufacture than full manual.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bob NewSCART posted:

It would be nice if paddle shifters replaced fully manual clutch and stick transmissions in the future. Paddle shifters are cool and I imagine are a lot less annoying to manufacture than full manual.

I wouldn't have thought that but I guess a few actuators and some clutches beat the crap out of linkage and synchros (synchros are great but they must be an absolute devil to manufacture and integrate).

I still want to drive a dual clutch car but I haven't had the opportunity.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Installed a ScanGauge ii that I scored off craigslist and went searching for my missing boost. I have figured it was low for a while now, and the Gauge was able to confirm it.

So, I pulled the intercooler and inspected the bypass valve, and also changed the vacuum line arrangement so that it get vacuum post intercooler and not at the throttle body. Also fixed some badly positioned seals on the air fittings. Gained a couple PSI, but am still short of where it ought to be. At this point, I think the culprit is probably an old supercharger belt slipping. For christmas I am getting myself a smaller supercharger pulley and new bypass valve, so I will put on the new belt then.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

I would think the biggest issue is that they would alienate a huge portion of the market that isn't comfortable with paddle shifters.

Also it's the feel of the clutch that I really like about manuals, being able to modulate how the power is put down. I don't know that you get that with paddle shifters.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I would think the biggest issue is that they would alienate a huge portion of the market that isn't comfortable with paddle shifters.

Also it's the feel of the clutch that I really like about manuals, being able to modulate how the power is put down. I don't know that you get that with paddle shifters.

I don't like autos. They still feel strange and foreign to me. Also I imagine they feel sort of like those hybrids with a motor keeping the battery charged only with less control.
It's like on the Fairlane I feel totally disconnected from the rear wheels. The accelerator is like a vague suggestion of whether I want it to go faster or slower. It's a pain to regulate and I often find myself just turning on cruise and regulating the speed using the +/- buttons. I'd be all over DBW if it could add an extra translation layer to make it feel like I'm playing an active role in driving.

Paddle shift could be fun, for a while, I guess. I just want a car with a dog box. Can't find one for the life of me. In fact for the life of me the only one I can even remember hearing of was a race outfitted Volvo in the 90s with a 6? speed experimental dog box that could barely make it a couple of laps without something in the transmission failing.

e:
Did you manage to free up the brake pistons with my dodgy procedure? If you did that I really do hope that you bled them at least enough to purge what's in the caliper. Sometimes it's air or moisture that stopped them from working in the first
I really want to say something clever about the handjobs thing but it eludes me. But hey as long as you are good at it, it's all good.

Today I did something for my kids' toy ride. A toy Volvo wagon that was left outside. Rain started pissing down so I had to go out there and save it. Also I ran the Fairlane out of LPG again yesterday :(

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 14, 2012

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I don't like autos. They still feel strange and foreign to me. Also I imagine they feel sort of like those hybrids with a motor keeping the battery charged only with less control.
It's like on the Fairlane I feel totally disconnected from the rear wheels. The accelerator is like a vague suggestion of whether I want it to go faster or slower. It's a pain to regulate and I often find myself just turning on cruise and regulating the speed using the +/- buttons. I'd be all over DBW if it could add an extra translation layer to make it feel like I'm playing an active role in driving.

Paddle shift could be fun, for a while, I guess. I just want a car with a dog box. Can't find one for the life of me. In fact for the life of me the only one I can even remember hearing of was a race outfitted Volvo in the 90s with a 6? speed experimental dog box that could barely make it a couple of laps without something in the transmission failing.

e:
Did you manage to free up the brake pistons with my dodgy procedure? If you did that I really do hope that you bled them at least enough to purge what's in the caliper. Sometimes it's air or moisture that stopped them from working in the first
I really want to say something clever about the handjobs thing but it eludes me. But hey as long as you are good at it, it's all good.

Today I did something for my kids' toy ride. A toy Volvo wagon that was left outside. Rain started pissing down so I had to go out there and save it. Also I ran the Fairlane out of LPG again yesterday :(

You can buy custom dog gearboxes from Quaife, and I would think that most of the race vehicles that aren't using double clutch applications are using some variation of an H-gate or sequential dog gearbox.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

You can buy custom dog gearboxes from Quaife, and I would think that most of the race vehicles that aren't using double clutch applications are using some variation of an H-gate or sequential dog gearbox.

I didn't know Quaife did them. Probably cost more than I get in a year but that's pretty awesome. Best transmission type out for fast, smooth shifts and they can be built drat strong because of the space not taken up by synchro assemblies. Of course you probably know that. I'm just saying it so people know.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Since I did my ball joints last week I got the corolla a wheel alignment, here are the results.

Also helped a friend pick up a 93 jeep for $300. Sat for a year, runs and drives great, just needs a new bat.

Good old 4.0, its even the HO.

Same steering wheel as my 83 AMC Eagle.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

eberbs posted:

Since I did my ball joints last week I got the corolla a wheel alignment, here are the results.

Honest to god it doesn't look like they did poo poo, I see they changed some toe front and rear but otherwise unchanged? :confused:

Nice find on the Jeep though, that's what I paid for my Integra but it's a work in progress unfortunately.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Looks like the steering wheel in my GN, actually. Jeep and GM both used that steering column for a number of years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eberbs posted:

Hey BC bro. I went to UVIC for a (fun) year around 9 years ago. Loved the city.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Another former UVic student checking in. I spent many dollars at the Petro-Canada general-service mechanic on Shelbourne, but they treated me reasonably well and did pretty good work. I'd live in Victoria again.

Today I fixed the issues with my ute's hard tonneau cover. New struts went on before I'd even paid for them, the salesman at the Repco came out with me to make sure they fit. Apparently, there are two different struts that differ by 2mm in extended length, so we needed to make sure I got the right ones even after measuring the old struts. Then I put on the new locks, which went surprisingly well largely thanks to the Inox penetrating oil I sprayed on nut holding on the old lock - quite good stuff, recommended by the locksmith who sold me the new locks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I scraped the underside of the bumper. Ugh. Oh well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

eberbs posted:

Also helped a friend pick up a 93 jeep for $300. Sat for a year, runs and drives great, just needs a new bat.

Hell of a price. If the rear wiper sprayer hose is broken off at the body you aren't allowed to fix it, that's an official Cherokee tailgater squirtgun.

Also, the coolant overflow hose in the second pic is not routed properly and if it stays that way, will probably get eaten by the belt or fan soonish. I'd suggest rerouting it - either factory routing or further out of the way along the back of the power steering pump.

Keep a close eye on the heater control valve in the upper left corner of the same pic, they break at the drop of a hat if you poke them changing the plugs. Fortunately they can be bypassed with some replacement heater hose or a few bits of 1/2" copper water pipe, just stuff a golf tee in the vacuum control line to it if you do this.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

kastein posted:

Hell of a price. If the rear wiper sprayer hose is broken off at the body you aren't allowed to fix it, that's an official Cherokee tailgater squirtgun.

Also, the coolant overflow hose in the second pic is not routed properly and if it stays that way, will probably get eaten by the belt or fan soonish. I'd suggest rerouting it - either factory routing or further out of the way along the back of the power steering pump.

Keep a close eye on the heater control valve in the upper left corner of the same pic, they break at the drop of a hat if you poke them changing the plugs. Fortunately they can be bypassed with some replacement heater hose or a few bits of 1/2" copper water pipe, just stuff a golf tee in the vacuum control line to it if you do this.
The Price is a great deal but its not that unusual on Vancouver island, Cheap cars galore.

I noticed the rad hose is actually the wrong hose, that will soon be replaced along with all the usuall tune-up bits (cap,rotor,plugs,wires ect).

Also nice to hear from some B.C goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Passenger side outer CV joint is now popping like mad on even the most gentle left turn. Have about $200 in bills that really have to get paid ASAP, and another $125 that are "important, not quite as important as keeping the car running, but will rack up some ugly late fees if I swap the axle before paying the bills". It's a hell of a lot worse if the car's been sitting overnight, once it's been driven a bit it's not nearly as bad.

If it can make it another 2-3 weeks I'll be happy. At least tips have been drat good lately.. $45 off of 11 deliveries tonight in 4 hours. Not including mileage or hourly wages (with mileage, I walked out with $60 in my pocket, but used about $10 in gas, plus the actual wear/tear on the car). Working a double tomorrow, hopefully I'll wind up pulling about the same average.

VelociBacon posted:

Also it's the feel of the clutch that I really like about manuals, being able to modulate how the power is put down.

This, and the whole "let off the gas and the car actually slows down!" part. I've been driving manual so long that if I see a red light coming up, or traffic slowing, I just let off the gas - even in 5th the car slows quite a bit.

I try this in an automatic and find myself panicking because "oh poo poo the car isn't slowing down the way I expect it to", thanks to the torque converter.

And damnit, my right hand and left foot both need something to do. :arghfist::corsair:

edit: looks like my right hand found something to do with that combination of smiles, but I prefer guys younger than 90...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 15, 2012