Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is the Genesis Shadowrun vibe intentional? Cause it's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I like how Jordan saves someone and Gretzky breaks a robot, but Bo just loving wrecks that machine and it explodes violently, presumably killing everyone operating it.

Bo knows overkill.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
I'm TREND and I really want to play this game. What happens if TREND plays a game designed for TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD? Are there repercussions? Game looks great but as TREND, I need to know what kind of risks I'm taking by edutaining myself. Thanks in advance!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just found the coolest thing on Wikipedia article on Barkley Shut Up and Jam!:

The Japanese region version of the game is titled Barkley's Power Dunk (バークレーのパワーダンク Bākurē no Pawādanku)

I hope that the new Barkley game is thoughtful enough to include the Japanese translation for key terms as well. I'd love some アイスクリーム (aisu kurīmu for the idiots in the audience)

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I'm TREND and I really want to play this game. What happens if TREND plays a game designed for TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD? Are there repercussions? Game looks great but as TREND, I need to know what kind of risks I'm taking by edutaining myself. Thanks in advance!

As TREND, the biggest risk you can take is being unprepared for your new excursion. Do you have an adequate supply of pocky? If your supplies are low you may look into buying a bulk shipment. Additionally, due to your TREND nature, your constitution is going to be very frail. To adjust for this, you will need at least 4 dakimakuras around you while playing in order to soften the blow. Do not skimp and get TREND dakimakuras, as they will not provide an adequate level of protection.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Novasol posted:

As TREND, the biggest risk you can take is being unprepared for your new excursion. Do you have an adequate supply of pocky? If your supplies are low you may look into buying a bulk shipment. Additionally, due to your TREND nature, your constitution is going to be very frail. To adjust for this, you will need at least 4 dakimakuras around you while playing in order to soften the blow. Do not skimp and get TREND dakimakuras, as they will not provide an adequate level of protection.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I borrowed some Pocky from my STONER neighbor, crushed them into a fine powder, mixed them with Crisco, stripped, and smeared the resulting paste over my entire body. I splurged on 7 TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD dakimakuras and have adhered them to my Pocky-slathered form. Right now I'm sitting in front of my computer in total darkness, where I will remain, motionless, until the game is released.

Thanks again for your help!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
We have new stretch goals!

quote:

You guys have demolished our current stretch goals so we've decided to add more. I want to reemphasize that every dollar we get lets us work on the game full-time for longer. We want to work on this game for about a year; the longer we can work full-time means the more content and the higher quality content this game will get. The funds we get now let us plan ahead for the game's future and build content this game wouldn't otherwise have. The stretch goals we have planned represent just some of the things we'll be able to do with this money, so check them out!

90k - MAJOR GOAL - New Game + - Let's start by saying: there is no place in Barkley 2 for your granddaddy's New Game Plus. When you complete the game, new challenges and new opportunities will become open to you. Our ideas for new game plus won't make the game easier, or more apt for speedruns, but another version of the main game itself. X114JAM9 awakens aboard the giant space ziggurat Necron 7, but why does he already know who he is? Has he done this all before...?

100k - MINOR GOAL - Throat of Geolgothar - Think twice before reaching this goal! Descending into this terrifying dungeon is naught without consequence. It is not uncommon to wake up from a nightmare in which you were running for your life and sanity, trapped inside the Throat of Geolgothar, only to find yourself still trapped inside the Throat of Geolgothar.

120k - MAJOR GOAL - Animated Cutscenes - This is a goal we only fantasized about when we first created the Kickstarter campaign. We'd like to incorporate at least 3 animated cutscenes greated by the ToG artists themselves along with some extra help in making them as high quality as possible. We're thinking along the lines of LucasArts classic Metal Warriors - check it out!

140k - MINOR GOAL - Gun'ssharing System - As we've written about before, our gun's fusing and creation system is going to be deeper than a genie mine. We have an idea to institute a gun's sharing system that allows you to export particular gun's you have fused or discovered and share them with other Barkley 2 players via the world wide web. Make gun's. Not war.

200k - MAJOR GOAL - Space Jam Theme - We kick this game into overtime. (Or at least try to. Licensing music is expensive and completely at the discretion of who owns the song and if they even want us delinquents messing with it.)

1.2 million - MAJOR GOAL - Super Bowl Commercial - Last year's Super Bowl was watched by over 110 million people. Help us spread the word about Barkley 2 to the widest possible audience with a Super Bowl advertisement! We estimate $1.2m should get us around 6 seconds of airtime in Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014. Your support has been incredible so far, and we know with your help, anything is possible.

...and yes, we are wearing pants.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

gently caress yes.

Cboy, I hope you comedically encounter and befriend an eccentric billionaire somewhere who decides to give you literally 1.2 million human dollars.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have never watched the Super Bowl before, but I would do so to watch a Barkley 2 commercial.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

We have to be able to hit 200k at least.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

gently caress yes.

Cboy, I hope you comedically encounter and befriend an eccentric billionaire somewhere who decides to give you literally 1.2 million human dollars.

https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/273915467125624832

Tell all your blood diamond tycoon friends about about Barkley 2 today!

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Licensing the Space Jam theme so the game's composers could have their way with it in a totally consensual manner would be amazing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I've been wondering, though. I admit I'm not too familiar with copyright laws, but the Homestuck music team was able to legally do a cover of an Aerosmith song and that's not exactly an operation that's rolling in dough (at least not until recently, pfffff). Is it cheaper to get the rights to cover a song rather than licensing it outright, or am I dumb?

I will love this game no matter what but the Space Jam theme was so...important to the first game.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

nerdbot posted:

I've been wondering, though. I admit I'm not too familiar with copyright laws, but the Homestuck music team was able to legally do a cover of an Aerosmith song and that's not exactly an operation that's rolling in dough (at least not until recently, pfffff). Is it cheaper to get the rights to cover a song rather than licensing it outright, or am I dumb?

I will love this game no matter what but the Space Jam theme was so...important to the first game.

Unless I am mistaken, you don't need licensing rights at all if you just want to cover or remix a song.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Unless I am mistaken, you don't need licensing rights at all if you just want to cover or remix a song.

Or you do if it is for profit? The first few Guitar Hero games didn't use actual tracks, they used admittedly very accurate cover bands that matched as much as they could. It was, presumably, much cheaper. The first game in the series was made on a budget of $1 million, so figure out how many songs GH1 had and then try to figure staff and other costs and then do some division and hey you got yourself a ballpark for what they'd want for remix rights maybe?

Once they made bank, they were able to buy the actual tracks.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 14, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
How much would it cost to license Charles Barkley's likeness?

Or if that's too much money, Bill Murray?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A cover of the Space Jam theme just wouldn't be the same.

These new reward tiers are amazing. I'm seriously considering upping my donation from just the basic $10 to possibly even the $100. I didn't think I would want a Cyberdwarf body pillow but the more I think about it, the more I believe it is a good idea.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Getting the rights to the melody and lyrics of a song (for a cover) is a different set of permissions than getting the master recording of that song by a particular artist.

Also gently caress Homestuck.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Squiggle posted:

Or you do if it is for profit? The first few Guitar Hero games didn't use actual tracks, they used admittedly very accurate cover bands that matched as much as they could. It was, presumably, much cheaper. The first game in the series was made on a budget of $1 million, so figure out how many songs GH1 had and then try to figure staff and other costs and then do some division and hey you got yourself a ballpark for what they'd want for Space Jam's "likeness".

Once they made bank, they were able to buy the actual tracks.

Covers that are made to be near-identical recreations are considered different things than covers and remixes that make significant changes to a work. How exactly they differ in terms of rights, I'm not so clear on, but I do know that there is a distinction.

Looking things up, I was apparently wrong in that last post, and derivative works technically do need to get the permission of the original copyright holder. But also Fair Use laws throw a very fuzzy grey area into all of that, so those copyrights could still be circumvented depending upon how the original work is being used.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have a billionaire friend with some spare change? A Barkley 2 Superbowl commercial would be more historically significant than when we put a man on the moon.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

quote:

X114JAM9 awakens aboard the giant space ziggurat Necron 7, but why does he already know who he is? Has he done this all before...?

aaaaaaaaa

90k sounds amazing. That has the potential to be the best New Game + ever made. 120k sounds incredible, too.

...I don't even care about the Space Jam theme. I mean, yeah, I'd sit on the Barkley 1 menu screen for five minutes, sometimes, when I started the game up, but that's still there, and $60,000+ didn't need to be allocated to it. I think I'm good. Space Jam'd out.

The pledge tiers could still use a little tweaking, maybe. Nobody's buying the high ones. :(

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Briefly and from memory, there's a compulsory license that says you can cover any song you want if you pay the songwriter a standard rate from whatever profits you make from it. This doesn't apply to remixing or sampling a song - you definitely have to secure an agreement with the rights-holders for that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Donated!

We totally have to get to 200,000 now.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

nerdbot posted:

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2011/01/how-to-legally-sell-downloads-of-cover-songs/

Basically, the copywrite holder is legally required to allow you a license to cover the song. You send them a notice to let them now you're covering it, and you have to pay 9.1 cents for every copy distributed.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Only 14 days left, they might not even hit $90,000. :smith:

Will you release the extra stretch goals after you sell 1 million copies of the game on Steam? I would love to see Lucas Arts style animation, maybe have a CyberDwarf fighter fly past the logo.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 14, 2012

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

And you know that the NG+ 90k stretch goal is going to be Victorian steampunk mode

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Also the compulsory cover license is not the synchronization license. To use a composition in a show/TV/game you probably have to secure a permission from the rights-holder, i.e. the songwriter - you can't just get a cover version recorded and pay whatever band did that version. Hence why you don't even see cover versions of Zeppelin songs in Rock Band.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Will the monthy updates that people who give $40 and up via Paypal will recieve be the same as the likely backer-only updates on Kickstarter?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Superbowl commercial guys. we can do this. us TRUE DOOM MURDERHEADS can do it.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You send them a notice to let them now you're covering it, and you have to pay 9.1 cents for every copy distributed.

That seems a rather.... arbitrary number. Laws are weird.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

BiggerJ posted:

Will the monthy updates that people who give $40 and up via Paypal will recieve be the same as the likely backer-only updates on Kickstarter?

No. We want the email updates to actually be pretty personal and fun to read, so you get as much a sense of the people making the game as you do the game itself. I bet they all say that, but what this literally means is that we're actually going to talk about weird Youtube videos we like and why we think Realms of Arkania and Shin Mengami Tensei: Nocturne are really good and weird rear end nude rom hacks we made a long time ago. Also the game. But nude rom hacks too.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Chef Boyardee posted:

No. We want the email updates to actually be pretty personal and fun to read, so you get as much a sense of the people making the game as you do the game itself. I bet they all say that, but what this literally means is that we're actually going to talk about weird Youtube videos we like and why we think Realms of Arkania and Shin Mengami Tensei: Nocturne are really good and weird rear end nude rom hacks we made a long time ago. Also the game. But nude rom hacks too.

It's not listed on the Kickstarter page. Is it Paypal-only?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 14, 2012

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Oh, it's not on the reward panel on the right, but it's in the reward description in the actual Kickstarter text - "In addition to the kickin' tunez, you'll also get VIP access to exclusive behind the scenes updates and content by the ToGsters detailing the progress we've made, what we're working on, what we want to do with the game and anything else we can think of! We want the update to be informal and personal - a letter from us to you, not a dry, boring progress report."

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Is there any chance that an attempt to license the Space Jam song could backfire? Is there a chance that upon being contacted with the request, Time-Warner could demand that Barkley 1 be taken down and never made available again, or modified to remove the song and possibly also any references to Space Jam?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Yes.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a chance that, in response, you'll angrily goatse a camera and send them the resulting picture?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
You overestimate my dermal elasticity.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

By the way I searched out that "Homestuck" version of I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing and am killing myself now as a result so gently caress you, whoever that was.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ezzer posted:

Superbowl commercial guys. we can do this. us TRUE DOOM MURDERHEADS can do it.

That seems a rather.... arbitrary number.

Looks like someone forgot. 9.11 rounded is 9.1. Thanks for hating America.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Have you talked to your lawyers about your plans to attempt to license the song? If so, what did they say? "It's worth a shot"? "It could be risky"? "For the love of god don't do it"?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If their lawyers are anything like I think, they were probably too preoccupied with a novelty smoking monkey to give any real advice.