Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

What is the word to describe a person who is the definition of "Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile". For example, if you had a roommate that asked to borrow your car one time, and you let them, then they just started taking your car without permission after that because you said it was okay that one time, so it must be okay all the time. He is a very _____(?) person. Leech is all that comes to mind, but that's not the word I'm looking for.

ungrateful? assuming?

Tiggum posted:

The way I decide whether or not to buy any luxury product is simply to work out how much time it would cost me. Money's pretty abstract, but if I go "I would have to work six hours to get that." I can go "Well, is it really worth six hours of my time?" and if it is, I buy it.

One important thing to remember is that you need to figure out this formula minus expenses. If you have a budget and know that about 50% of your income goes to bills, then you need to realize that you have to work twice as long to afford that item. If you earn $20/hr and you need to want to buy a new $200 phone, you'd have to work 20 hours, not 10, to be able to afford that item.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because he hates me looking at anything in the house thinking I'll break something. Nevermind that I lived on my own for 3 years and have gone for CE and EM degrees :v: Plus his stuff isn't really labeled properly or vaugely so I don't know which one goes to what.

How do you have an EM degree and not know anything about electricity?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

What is the word to describe a person who is the definition of "Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile". For example, if you had a roommate that asked to borrow your car one time, and you let them, then they just started taking your car without permission after that because you said it was okay that one time, so it must be okay all the time. He is a very _____(?) person. Leech is all that comes to mind, but that's not the word I'm looking for.

lovely

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Presumptuous?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Farecoal posted:

Is there an -ology for the study of explosions?

physicsology

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

You're certainly right about that, but that isn't exactly the word I was looking for. Something more along the lines of "parasite" or "freeloader", but I need an adjective and not a noun.

edit: Hell, even a verb would be better than nothing.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 13, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
This is a really stupid question. Coffee is really loving hot, yet I see people at my workplace and coffee shops that drink it right after they get it. I have to let it chill for a while before tasting it just so I don't burn my goddamn taste buds off. At work I usually toss a few ice cubes in. Am I strange case or are there just people with superhuman tongues? I got some coffee at Starbucks last evening and burned my tongue even after letting the stuff cool for several minutes with the lid off, but my girlfriend had already drank half of hers. And I still can't taste properly today :(:coffee:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I got some coffee at Starbucks last evening and burned my tongue even after letting the stuff cool for several minutes with the lid off, but my girlfriend had already drank half of hers. And I still can't taste properly today :(:coffee:

Protip for Starbucks: You can ask for "Kid's Hot Chocolate Hot" or "Kid's Temp" and have a delicious coffee that is immediately drinkable, as they only heat them to like 110 instead of 140+.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Doesn't it need to brew at a certain temperature to taste right? I'm fine with waiting, I just want to know if I have some kind of wuss tongue. I eat spicy stuff (habanero and hotter) on a fairly regular basis without any trouble, could that have anything to do with it?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

With the Canadian penny being discontinued as of February, what will happen to the billions (?) of pennies already in circulation once they're all rounded up / collected? Would they get melted down and used for scrap?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

SkunkDuster posted:

You're certainly right about that, but that isn't exactly the word I was looking for. Something more along the lines of "parasite" or "freeloader", but I need an adjective and not a noun.

Just to check, have you tried...talking to him about it? Something like "hey I know I said you could borrow my car; I just meant that once and I'd prefer if you let me know when you were going to."

Some people come from different sharing backgrounds, and it's not unreasonable to think that's okay. I have plenty of friends who share a car as a household, even though it legally belongs to just one of them. Maybe when he asked you, in his mind he was saying "Can I (generally) borrow your car," and in your mind it was "Can I (right now only) borrow your car." If you set the record straight, maybe the problem will go away.

edit: I should have mentioned, there may be more details about your particular situation that make it clear that he's being a jerk. But from what you posted, I can't tell if it's that or just a misunderstanding.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 13, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

SkunkDuster posted:

edit: Hell, even a verb would be better than nothing.

Sponge? Sponger? Moocher? (To sponge, to mooch).

I would also say presumptuous and inconsiderate.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Doesn't it need to brew at a certain temperature to taste right? I'm fine with waiting, I just want to know if I have some kind of wuss tongue. I eat spicy stuff (habanero and hotter) on a fairly regular basis without any trouble, could that have anything to do with it?

I was always under the impression that the main reason places like that make their coffee so hot is because it's assumed you'll be taking it somewhere else (work, school, etc.) and so by the time you get there it will still be reasonably hot. Or at least that was the explanation I heard after McDonald's got sued for their superheated coffee.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

alnilam posted:

Just to check, have you tried...talking to him about it? Something like "hey I know I said you could borrow my car; I just meant that once and I'd prefer if you let me know when you were going to."

Some people come from different sharing backgrounds, and it's not unreasonable to think that's okay. I have plenty of friends who share a car as a household, even though it legally belongs to just one of them. Maybe when he asked you, in his mind he was saying "Can I (generally) borrow your car," and in your mind it was "Can I (right now only) borrow your car." If you set the record straight, maybe the problem will go away.

edit: I should have mentioned, there may be more details about your particular situation that make it clear that he's being a jerk. But from what you posted, I can't tell if it's that or just a misunderstanding.

There is a lot more to it, but that is going into E/N territory. I've made it very clear that I am not okay with him just helping himself to my stuff. A better example might be me saying "I'll babysit your kid for free every night until 7PM" The first week, it goes okay. Week 2 turns into 8pm or 9pm. Week three ends up being midnight or later. Week four, they are hardly ever home and it is just expected that I'll just babysit their kid all the time because they push their limits and see how far they can take advantage of me.

I'm not asking for any E/N advice. I'd just like to know what type of adjective or verb would be used to describe that type of inconsiderate behavior where you just take advantage of people's generosity in a completely selfish manner.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm not asking for any E/N advice. I'd just like to know what type of adjective or verb would be used to describe that type of inconsiderate behavior where you just take advantage of people's generosity in a completely selfish manner.
I think "sponge" is the best answer so far. The spongey sponge is spongeing off you.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Are nouns OK?

Opportunist?

Chancer?

To make a Seinfeldism: an opportunist imposer?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

I think "sponge" is the best answer so far. The spongey sponge is spongeing off you.

I liked moocher because there's a cool song about a moocher.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

I liked moocher because there's a cool song about a moocher.

Is his name Arthur? I love that song.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Is his name Arthur? I love that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wOPt-2PeE

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Its for a joke, guess I'll just go with planetexplodology

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

greazeball posted:

Are nouns OK?

Opportunist?

Chancer?

To make a Seinfeldism: an opportunist imposer?

Habitual linestepper?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This is a really stupid question. Coffee is really loving hot, yet I see people at my workplace and coffee shops that drink it right after they get it. I have to let it chill for a while before tasting it just so I don't burn my goddamn taste buds off. At work I usually toss a few ice cubes in. Am I strange case or are there just people with superhuman tongues? I got some coffee at Starbucks last evening and burned my tongue even after letting the stuff cool for several minutes with the lid off, but my girlfriend had already drank half of hers. And I still can't taste properly today :(:coffee:

Different people have different tolerances for heat. I often finish a cup of tea while it's still too hot for my sister to drink. And the "heat" from chillis is a different thing entirely, it's not actually heat, so your tolerance for that could be completely different.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

You should be proud of your wuss-tongue and smugly tell people that drinking hot beverages can increase the risk of esophageal cancer.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I want to send a friend in Canada some fresh pecans from the tree in my backyard. I know there are stipulations about sending some plant matter internationally, but would these be prohibited? Searching online, it seems ok to mail commercially processed stuff over the border but these are just shelled, rinsed, & lightly oven-dried.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Moscow Mule posted:

I want to send a friend in Canada some fresh pecans from the tree in my backyard. I know there are stipulations about sending some plant matter internationally, but would these be prohibited? Searching online, it seems ok to mail commercially processed stuff over the border but these are just shelled, rinsed, & lightly oven-dried.
Buy a jar of pecans, dump them out, put yours in and ship them. :ninja:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I too suffer from low tolerance to hot beverages, it's perfectly normal. Coffee also develops its taste as it cools. Bad coffee goes from tasting mostly of hot to tasting mostly of bad, while good coffe goes from hot to interesting. I know championship baristas who will let their coffee cool down before drinking to get the best taste.

You can cold-brew coffee by the way, but it's usually done overnight and gives a distinctly powerful taste.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I see in some stores they have doors where it says "Push door to open. Door is alarmed. Keep pushing for 15 seconds to open". So the door won't open after 15 seconds of pushing? Isn't that dangerous? A guy could come in to a store and shoot up the place. 15 seconds is a long time.

Also does copyright or TM law cover one offs? Like if a guy made a fake Macbook Pro and fashioned it out of aluminum and put it on Ebay could Apple sue him?
I am trying to figure out this guys angle, http://stores.ebay.com/Old-Colony-Hobbies/_i.html?rt=nc&_dmd=1&_sid=391400897

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

Also does copyright or TM law cover one offs? Like if a guy made a fake Macbook Pro and fashioned it out of aluminum and put it on Ebay could Apple sue him?
I am trying to figure out this guys angle, http://stores.ebay.com/Old-Colony-Hobbies/_i.html?rt=nc&_dmd=1&_sid=391400897
The laws do apply to one-offs. That guy probably just hasn't received his Cease and Desist letter yet. He can't be making enough money to be worth suing so that would be as far as it would go unless he decided to ignore the warning.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

b0nes posted:

I see in some stores they have doors where it says "Push door to open. Door is alarmed. Keep pushing for 15 seconds to open". So the door won't open after 15 seconds of pushing? Isn't that dangerous? A guy could come in to a store and shoot up the place. 15 seconds is a long time.

I think it's meant to prevent someone accidentally leaning against the door in the wrong way and opening it. It's true that it could be a bit dangerous. I think emergency exits are generally designed with fire in mind, though, and not shootings - it takes a long time for "code" to react to "the times."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Fires are also infinitely more common than commercial venue shootings.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2012

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

alnilam posted:

I think it's meant to prevent someone accidentally leaning against the door in the wrong way and opening it. It's true that it could be a bit dangerous. I think emergency exits are generally designed with fire in mind, though, and not shootings - it takes a long time for "code" to react to "the times."

It is mainly to deter people who are trying to steal merchandise, while still allowing a safe exit from the store. The alarm goes off when you press it and it then takes 15 seconds for the door to open. Otherwise you could just grab a plasma tv and make a quick escape.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We used to get a rash of grab and runs from kids in the electronics section when I worked at Toys R' Us. Back then, the "R' Zone" had only one entrance to the rest of the store with sensor detectors and the rest was walled off with plexiglass. That way we could tell if someone was going to take merch to the bathroom and pop off the cases.

However this area was also required to have an emergency exit in the back. Every few months, we've had some kids run in, grab as many Gameboy Advances and copies of GTA that they can and bust out the back emergency door, usually into a waiting car. This took all of 10-15 seconds to do and it usually happened while their buddy sent one of us to the stockroom to grab a game.

After a few years of losses home office finally OKs installing a time-delay emergency exit instead. I will never forget the day I see some kid dashing into the electronics section, piling up Purple and Pink GBAs and a handful of copies of Vice City tucked under his arm and head in a full sprint towards the emergency exit. His heart was pumping full of adrenaline, his arm was extended outward like the Heisman Trophy and his head was down, his mouth tasting that soon-to-be sweet freedom.

He hit the door with such force that he collapsed into an accordion like Wile E. Coyote hitting the painted-on tunnel in the Roadrunner cartoons. Pink and Purple Gameboy Advance systems, still in their plastic security cases, flew into the air, mixed with a smattering of stylish Vice City artwork. The alarm went off instantly but the whole store could hear the deafening "whump" of this kid's skull impacting the fire door, barely giving way. As the alarm continued to sound the kid picked himself up, tugged futility on the door and tried to break it down with his shoulder like he was in the SWAT team. The time passed like eternity. Right before the door locks gave way he turned back to me and we locked eyes. The look in his face was a mix of pure terror and "Why did you do this to me?". He eventually broke free and made his escape, sans merchandise. I collected our things, placed them gingerly back on the shelf and re-armed the door.

I spent the rest of the day praying someone else would try again shortly.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I wish that story ended with you having grabbed him as he struggled to get away. :smith:

Does anyone know which episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation had Captain Picard (I think, may have the bearded guy whose name escapes me) find a ball of snakes slithering on the foot of his bed? As a small child, I couldn't sleep so I wandered into the living room to find that episode on the TV. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep after that and it hosed me for awhile.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is it 'Night Terrors'? :wtc:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Night_Terrors_%28episode%29

http://www.avclub.com/articles/galaxys-childnight-terrors,49596/

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Yup, that's it. Sounds like an odd episode, honestly.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What language is this and what does it say?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SlayVus posted:

What language is this and what does it say?

Looks like "при н имаем" which is Russian (it's cyrillic so it could have been Serbian or something, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Russian). Google Translate isn't very useful here, but there's a Russian thread you may want to try.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like they are hiring CDL drivers and Owner/Operator truckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

helopticor posted:

Looks like "при н имаем" which is Russian (it's cyrillic so it could have been Serbian or something, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Russian). Google Translate isn't very useful here, but there's a Russian thread you may want to try.

It's one word; means "accept."

So it appears that the poker subforum has gone away. Where can I play poker online? I'm not interested in wagering real money, just playing for chips. Something web-based that won't poo poo up my computer with malware would be preferred.