Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Child's Play just posted a bunch of pictures from their charity auction a week ago and in amongst the depressingly but unsurprisingly large number of fedoras I found two pictures of Patrick Rothfuss. So, those definitely belong in our little fan/antifan club.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Child's Play just posted a bunch of pictures from their charity auction a week ago and in amongst the depressingly but unsurprisingly large number of fedoras I found two pictures of Patrick Rothfuss. So, those definitely belong in our little fan/antifan club.

Eh. Despite some weird ideas about women, I don't think Rothfuss is a terrible person. He does a lot for charity and genuinely isn't a jerk. At a (semi) ritzy event, I find it hard to be mad at him for wearing a top hat. I'd probably do the same.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Top hats are fine, and yeah, whatever his writerly virtues and his backwards views on women, Rothfuss gives a lot to charity so he's cool in my book. Fedoras not so much, although I did find one guy who makes it work.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
That was not a link to a picture of Matt Bomer and is therefore extremely wrong.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Patrick Rothfuss does not want to see The Hobbit
https://www.facebook.com/Patrick.Rothfuss/posts/10151361165373524

I wonder if we'll get another creepy blog post about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ohvee posted:

Patrick Rothfuss does not want to see The Hobbit
https://www.facebook.com/Patrick.Rothfuss/posts/10151361165373524

I wonder if we'll get another creepy blog post about it.

Man, that's like a checklist of terrible complaints.

Too much CGI, calling it only one third of a movie, being smug about how he doesn't like things that are mainstream, and of course "my childhood memories :qq:"

So many weird justifications for not seeing it when he could just say something like "I didn't like Peter Jackson's take on Lord of the Rings so I don't think I'll like this."

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 14, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Calling The Hobbit 1/3rd of a movie is like calling The Name of the Wind 1/3rd of a book. Just because your story is too long to fit comfortably into the average size that a medium has settled on for a work of art in that medium doesn't mean that, when you chop it down, you're getting 1/3rd of what you should really get.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Calling The Hobbit 1/3rd of a movie is like calling The Name of the Wind 1/3rd of a book. Just because your story is too long to fit comfortably into the average size that a medium has settled on for a work of art in that medium doesn't mean that, when you chop it down, you're getting 1/3rd of what you should really get.

I dunno, I have a lot of trouble imagining The Hobbit needing 7.5 hours to be told well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Almost any book can be turned into many hours of TV/film. Look at the Dune miniseries or The Game of Thrones or the Pride and Prejudice miniseries or whatever. You could cram The Hobbit into one movie and they've done it before but there's easily enough there to fill ~8 hours.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Almost any book can be turned into many hours of TV/film. Look at the Dune miniseries or The Game of Thrones or the Pride and Prejudice miniseries or whatever. You could cram The Hobbit into one movie and they've done it before but there's easily enough there to fill ~8 hours.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it'll be good or interesting.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Danhenge posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it'll be good or interesting.
The inverse is also true. The format of the movie(s) determines very little compared to the direction, script, etc.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Having seen it, I'm not sure I agree. Seemed to me that about half of it was stuff that wasn't in the book. Sure, most of the additions were pretty cool, but it hardly needed to be there.

Two movies I could consider justified, but three seems a bit over the top. I suppose we'll see when the rest of them are released.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
A friend recommended me these books, so I picked them up with the intention of reading them over Christmas week at my sister's house. Welp I read the first one already and am now half way through the second book. Really enjoying them. Anyway, what are some similar or better fantasy books?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

ace_beef posted:

A friend recommended me these books, so I picked them up with the intention of reading them over Christmas week at my sister's house. Welp I read the first one already and am now half way through the second book. Really enjoying them. Anyway, what are some similar or better fantasy books?
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely pick them up before I leave.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

Just a heads up both of those suggestions are a bit dark.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Fallorn posted:

And both way better. These are literally my 2 favorite series, and Lies only has 2 books so far.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

And both way better. These are literally my 2 favorite series, and Lies only has 2 books so far.

I said nothing about how great they are, but they can really wreck your day if you were not expecting something like it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah Lies of Locke Lamora was one of my favorite books in the last 10 years or so. The second one wasn't as good, but the first one was fantastic. I wish the author would hurry up on the third one. :(

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Fallorn posted:

Yeah but so is Name of the Wind, with the main character being a complete tragic washout awaiting his own death. First Law is dark, but more like wry/comedic with bleak undertones than grimdark or anything. Lies is even more optimistic in tone than NotW and not something I would really describe as dark in any sense.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Patrofuss was interviewed on the TWiT show NSFW. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes in (nothing new there), but maybe others could.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And The Denver Post has an article on him too.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Kynetx posted:

Patrofuss was interviewed on the TWiT show NSFW. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes in (nothing new there), but maybe others could.

Is this some sort of contest for most annoying host? You must have a will of steel to have made it 10 minutes.

ukiyo e
Sep 12, 2012

Wait... what?

Fallorn posted:

Ambrose is the king he already has moved up in line of succession in the books. Kvothe hates him, and it has been set up since the first book. Ambrose is the reason for the stupid "trial" against Kvothe because of his place in the royal hierarchy.

I really don't like the idea of Ambrose being the king. I have always viewed him as a petty antagonist. The feud between him and Kvothe could easily be classified as "antics" in comparison to the evils present in the wider story.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

ukiyo e posted:

I really don't like the idea of Ambrose being the king. I have always viewed him as a petty antagonist. The feud between him and Kvothe could easily be classified as "antics" in comparison to the evils present in the wider story.
Absolutely, he's a boring one-dimensional character. Worming his way into the kingship seems completely unbelievable for his level of cunning, and the rivalry between him and Kvothe only serves to highlight Kvothe's immaturity. It has very little narrative oomph compared to the Amyr, Chandrian, Crazy Fey poo poo, etc.

Like so many things in this novel, Ambrose is basically just a mary-sue embodiment of teenage angst and has very little of his own character developed. He's just a talking plot point.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Still no release date for the 3rd book? It's been written for years :(

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Is this some sort of contest for most annoying host? You must have a will of steel to have made it 10 minutes.

I like Brian Brushwood when he's with anyone else, but the combination of the other host with the idiotic tone of that show is grating in the extreme.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

Absolutely, he's a boring one-dimensional character. Worming his way into the kingship seems completely unbelievable for his level of cunning.

Yes but the whole point of a Monarchy is that he doesn't need to worm his way into anything, he basically needs to wait and not die and he's close enough to the throne that he'll inherit power by default. Which does fit with the novels theme of Kvothe having to struggle for everything he accomplishes (despite being universally awesome at everything) while others just have their desires handed to them.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Calico Noose posted:

Yes but the whole point of a Monarchy is that he doesn't need to worm his way into anything, he basically needs to wait and not die and he's close enough to the throne that he'll inherit power by default. Which does fit with the novels theme of Kvothe having to struggle for everything he accomplishes (despite being universally awesome at everything) while others just have their desires handed to them.
He's like what, 13th in the line of succession? When the wealth and power of a kingship are up for grabs people don't sit by and let protocol determine the new king in any universe remotely resembling our own. At the slightest hint of an unclear succession they wage war, form complicated networks of alliance, and assassinate rival claimants. The shenanigans of succession struggles are well known to history (and consequently fantasy tropes).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Above Our Own posted:

He's like what, 13th in the line of succession? When the wealth and power of a kingship are up for grabs people don't sit by and let protocol determine the new king in any universe remotely resembling our own. At the slightest hint of an unclear succession they wage war, form complicated networks of alliance, and assassinate rival claimants. The shenanigans of succession struggles are well known to history (and consequently fantasy tropes).

Well, the first and second books in the series seemed to revel in subverting various tropes...maybe Ambrose will become king because the current king and the entire royal family die in a boating accident, and the 4th cousin twice removed chokes on his dinner.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm just going to drop this here.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ace_beef posted:

I classify the Black Company in a very similar vein as this and Lies. Well written, clever underdog protagonists against magical powers beyond their ken, a little bit of dark humor that stuff.

Only the Black Company is kinda the best.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

the JJ posted:

I classify the Black Company in a very similar vein as this and Lies. Well written, clever underdog protagonists against magical powers beyond their ken, a little bit of dark humor that stuff.

Only the Black Company is kinda the best.

If you stop after the first three books the black company is pretty boss. If you keep going you lose the magic.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Is there a confused ironicat gif out there? This does lend weight to the whole Kvothe is telling the story and he objectifies women not Rothfuss thingy. Not that two books of it is really acceptable.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Antinumeric posted:

Is there a confused ironicat gif out there? This does lend weight to the whole Kvothe is telling the story and he objectifies women not Rothfuss thingy. Not that two books of it is really acceptable.

Patrick Rothfuss is a feminist. He says so himself.

He also likes poetry.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

If you stop after the first three books the black company is pretty boss. If you keep going you lose the magic.

The next few books were fun enough to keep reading.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antinumeric posted:

On the other hand, some of the posts of Rothfuss' blog and other things he has said elsewhere provide an argument for otherwise. Like that really weird metaphor he used as an explanation for why he hates the Lord of the Rings films.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Antinumeric posted:

Well, for context "The Boys" is a super over-the-top intended-to-be-offensive Garth Ennis comic. It's the same one that got into trouble for having a hamster crawl out of a gay character's rear end . It is pretty seriously misogynistic, probably both intentionally and unintentionally, but to me it's a little bizarre to criticize it only for that reason - it's also homophobic (if the rear end-hamster didn't make that obvious) and vaguely racist. It's Ennis's shtick with that series.

To me, that just suggests that Rothfuss is in the same boat a lot of people with stunted social skills are, where he genuinely unaware of how patronizing and creepy the putting women on a pedestal thing is.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Antinumeric posted:

I would never accuse Rothfuss of thinking that women are stupid, useless, powerless, or otherwise inferior to men (based on my reading of his books and his blog, that is). He doesn't seem to have those kinds of hang-ups, and even in his books while Kvothe represents the ultimate in heroism, the women are actually the more competent or independent on the whole. He doesn't even revel in rape or other displays of male dominance over women (Kvothe dominates everyone in the end, but there's no real gender skew) - even when sexual assaults or the like are mentioned or dealt with it is at a cold distance.

His issue has always been in the romantic or sexual give and take between genders, where the women are either pragmatic "sex as a weapon or hormonal necessity" sorts or untouchable, doll-like perfection. The most important thing about her is either her vagina or her heart. The Denna character in some way shows that he's at least mildly aware of this binary tendency, since she shows aspects of both camps, but the persistent underlying thread of the books are that once you find a woman desirable you either sleep with her (when she seems interested) or you admire her devotedly from afar and hope that love blooms (when she does not). There's no engaging with her on a deeper, individual level. She's not a person, she's an object.

Ironically Felurian might be the closest he comes to engaging a sexually desirable woman on an emotional level, but her essence is one of such ephemera that she never feels like a real person either.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Despite all that, I always thought that Devi and Mola, for example, were pretty good female characters. Most female characters Rothfuss writes seem to be pretty good in fact, a lot better than the vast majority of fantasy writers portray them. I agree that Denna. Felurian and the sex ninjas are pretty dumb, but it wasn't all bad.

• Locked thread