Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

WolfensteinBag posted:

:hfive: :suicide:

We outta open our own place. You're down south, right? It's a lot cheaper down there than up here...

Dude, yes, I have been dying to do this some day for like the past three months, to the point I've seriously talked about it with a friend and doodled designs for a new facility (as if I'll ever have that much money). :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

loving cats. Holy loving poo poo, these loving cats.

In addition to PISS, I'm involved in a second pet-related Secret Santa. I drew two cats and a dog. For one of the cats, I bought a Play N Squeak wand. I also bought a pile of the Play N Squeak mice, which I had doled out to my own cats as well as the other cat I drew in the Secret Santa.

I laid out the wand on the coffee table with a roll of wrapping paper and was about to wrap it. I realized I kinda needed to pee. So I got up and went to the bathroom. When I came back a minute later, I sat down on the couch to wrap the wand.

Except the wand was gone.

I searched every loving room in my house. Every. Room. I briefly thought I had lost my mind and just imagined that I had bought the wand. I was starting to get kind of unhinged, like, on the verge of tears over this stupid cat wand.

Finally I sat down and had a cup of tea, and tried to breathe deeply, and then searched the house again.

The cats (probably Nibbler, to be honest, because Leela came in and used the litter box while I was peeing) had dragged it behind the cabinet upstairs with the newest litter box, and tucked it right up against the edge so it was impossible to see unless you actually got behind there.

loving cats.

You guys would understand if I beat Nibbler to death with a shovel, right?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

RB I'm so sorry. Husker was amazing, and every time I saw a greyhound I thought of him, he got me interested in greyhounds!

Also that paw circle...well it sure is a thing. :psyduck:

The Good Life.

He had trouble breathing like this. Wonder why. :haw:

Feldman says 'haaayy ya'll!'

"No, no I'm not tired...I can stay awake!"

He looks so smooth and soft, like he's made of velvet, or maybe those Ferrero Rocher milk chocolate candies :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Ugh Vecna woke me up at 3 am and then whined for an hour after my husband went to work again. He's gotten up at 3 every single day this week :sigh: It's a really lovely habit he seems to be getting into but I don't really know what to do about it.

I am so tired

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Triangulum posted:

Any black Belgian is a Groen regardless if it's a recessive or dominant black.
Here's a better link regarding Belgian Shepherd coat genetics: http://www.malinois.net.au/files/ENSummaryColourBSD.pdf
Only the link is wrong about tan point pattern. My friend has had two atat Belgian malinois. Other was a full sister to FMBB World Champion Mecberger Chortoryiski and the other is his half sister.

Over here you can nowadays mix the four varieties without obtaining a permission from the Kennel Club as long as you are making one of these crosses groenendael x tervueren, tervueren x malinois ja laekenois x malinois. Resulting puppies are registered according to their color and coat lenght. Crossing the long haired varieties with laekenois is not permissible and I assume groenendael x malinois crosses still require a permission.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Riiseli posted:

Only the link is wrong about tan point pattern. My friend has had two atat Belgian malinois. Other was a full sister to FMBB World Champion Mecberger Chortoryiski and the other is his half sister.

Over here you can nowadays mix the four varieties without obtaining a permission from the Kennel Club as long as you are making one of these crosses groenendael x tervueren, tervueren x malinois ja laekenois x malinois. Resulting puppies are registered according to their color and coat lenght. Crossing the long haired varieties with laekenois is not permissible and I assume groenendael x malinois crosses still require a permission.

Why aren't those crosses allowed?

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Triangulum posted:

Why aren't those crosses allowed?
It's due to the rough coat of the Laekenois. If using Malinois was deemed as insufficient enhancement to the limited gene pool other crosses as well as crosses with Dutch shepherds might certainly be considered, but as long as this is not the case I don't think there is a big need to sacrifice the coat quality completely.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Anybody want to participate in a dog play study? You have to upload a video of yourself playing with your dog: http://doghumanplay.com/home

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

RazorBunny posted:

loving cats. Holy loving poo poo, these loving cats.

So, the plug for our bath tub is the kind that comes completely out, so I tend to leave it just outside on the floor since I use it so often. It's one of those big, heavy metal ones, too, not a rubber one. Back around when we first got Kaipo, I went to take a bath and couldn't find the thing. I got pissed and looked ALL over, and secretly got mad at my husband because I thought he did something with it since I left it out. Days go by. Finally, I was putzing around in the "cat room" where we'd lock Kaipo up while we're away because 1) she was still getting used to the house, and 2) I don't trust her for poo poo. I finally found that drat plug hidden, tucked away in one of the boxes she had to play with. I have NO idea how this tiny little cat managed to pick that drat thing up and carry it over tile without making a sound. :iiam:

Tiny, little culprit:

Skizzles posted:

Dude, yes, I have been dying to do this some day for like the past three months, to the point I've seriously talked about it with a friend and doodled designs for a new facility (as if I'll ever have that much money). :saddowns:

I know, right? As someone who knows JACK about business and finances (especially for someone wanting to start a business :iamafag: ) I always wonder how the hell people can take out a business loan, start a business, and, you know, actually not crush their lives financially. The thought TERRIFIES me. That's why I need to start really, super small and work at a place where I want bash my head against the wall every day. :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I know a girl younger than me who has done it. Inheritance. :downs: It sucks because she's loving legitimately psycho and really shouldn't be working with dogs.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Nazi pom and pugamute avatars?!

I'm special as gently caress. :smuggo:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Goddammit Timmy why do you suck so much. Cat comes running into the living room with something on his face. Wait, no, it's not some mystery object stuck to his face, the little rear end in a top hat is just dragging used Q-tips out of the bathroom wastebasket. I run up, re-secure the trash. One minute later, Timmy reappears with a Q-tip. I re-re-secure the trash. One minute later TIMMY REAPPEARS WITH ANOTHER GODDAMN Q-TIP. I haul out a whole different wastebasket to put in there.

I got this cat from my friend. Sometimes I tell her what HER CAT has been up to and she just laughs and says "no backsies."

It's a good thing he lets people pick him up and smush their faces into his plush orange tummy.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Timmy is orange. This is your problem. :colbert:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

poo poo, you might be right.

I think when she had this plague, my friend might have posted here for advice/condolences on her cat, and got "he's orange" as an explanation too. drat you, Timmy. With your adorable freckly nose.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think Aslan may have doubled in size since the last time I saw him... :3:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

RazorBunny posted:

I think Aslan may have doubled in size since the last time I saw him... :3:

Requesting photographic proof, please.

:3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

cryingscarf posted:

Requesting photographic proof, please.

It'll have to wait until tomorrow most likely, but believe me, I took pics :)

He polished off a beef trachea I brought him in fifteen minutes, and then cleaned up all the Chef Boyardee the baby threw everywhere. And cleaned off her clothes for me, too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:cripes: I'm taking one of my favorite female mice in tomorrow for a necropsy because she's dead out of nowhere (no trauma, appears perfectly healthy). I liked her and her cage mate enough that I was going to buy them from the store so they could be best buddies as long as they lived. Her cage mate is pretty upset about being alone, so I'm going to introduce her to a little cream girl that's here alone (she was the only one out of a litter) and see if they hit it off.

And here's hoping the little lavender female that I just lost didn't go to some suspicious congenital reason, because she's got daughters that are on the list to be bred soon.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Oh good, Timmy just discovered the now-empty wastebasket from upstairs and has been knocking it over and climbing into it. Maybe if he tries ten more times it will start magically generating trash!

:downs:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Yesterday I realized that it's been about two years since we put Psyche on prozac and, while she still has problems, the main purpose of using prozac was to treat her general anxiety (as opposed to specific anxieties toward dogs or people) and that's improved a lot, largely due to our moving to an isolated house.

So I called the vet today and told her I wanted to re-evaluate if the prozac is helping Psyche. She thought it was a great idea and so tomorrow we're going to start tapering Psyche off the medication over a month or so.

I'm really curious to see what happens because her neuroses are a really complicated mix of general and specific reactivities, all of which are tied to specific circumstances or environments. Also, we had only owned her four months or so before we started her on prozac (it was necessary, she was really having a hard time in our apartment), so I'm curious to see if the medication is causing or suppressing any major personality traits. Of course if she gets much worse, she'll go right back on the prozac, which is not a huge deal since she's pretty happy in general now and at least I'll know it's helping.

:science: I feel a bit like a mad scientist, messing with my dog's brain chemistry :science:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Captain Foxy posted:

I'm special as gently caress. :smuggo:

But do you have nazi pugamutes? And can I get one on rush delivery? Chanukah ends in two days.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

:science: I feel a bit like a mad scientist, messing with my dog's brain chemistry :science:

Good luck! This week is Major's 2nd annual check in with his behaviorist too. I really doubt he's going to go off the zoloft any time soon though. Poor dude was such a wreck before meds, I really don't want to risk him going back to spending a quarter of his day pacing, peeing on furniture, biting grandmas, or licking holes in himself.

I'm so proud of the beast though. He has finally gotten to the point where I look at him and think that he is the dog I thought I was adopting. He even can awkwardly say hi to my neighbor's dog and when he gets too anxious he comes to check in with me instead of lunging and screaming. That's my good man :3:

vv That's Buddy who I want to steal. Why does no one dump sporty little spaniels in my yard? :qq: vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 14, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Good luck! This week is Major's 2nd annual check in with his behaviorist too. I really doubt he's going to go off the zoloft any time soon though. Poor dude was such a wreck before meds, I really don't want to risk him going back to spending a quarter of his day pacing, peeing on furniture, biting grandmas, or licking holes in himself.

I'm so proud of the beast though. He has finally gotten to the point where I look at him and think that he is the dog I thought I was adopting. He even can awkwardly say hi to my neighbor's dog and when he gets too anxious he comes to check in with me instead of lunging and screaming. That's my good man :3:

Major's one of my favorite PI dogs. He's so handsome :3:. And what a cute spaniely looking neighbordog!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

AcetylCoA! posted:

But do you have nazi pugamutes? And can I get one on rush delivery? Chanukah ends in two days.

PM me, I can get you on my Schindler list.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I am suffering the worst case of puppy fever right now. I made the mistake of going to the CWCCA website just to browse the breeder directory and look at cute pics, but apparently I'm like ovulating or something because I kept thinking how great it would be for Neigé to have a little brother or sister to play with and what if it were a mismark too and omg I must have all the predominating white-headed cardigans EVER.

No word yet when the rational part (the brain that remembers how much puppies suck) will surface. I mean really though, look at this:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Invalid Octopus posted:

Major's one of my favorite PI dogs. He's so handsome :3:. And what a cute spaniely looking neighbordog!

He's one of my favorites too :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

I am suffering the worst case of puppy fever right now. I made the mistake of going to the CWCCA website just to browse the breeder directory and look at cute pics, but apparently I'm like ovulating or something because I kept thinking how great it would be for Neigé to have a little brother or sister to play with and what if it were a mismark too and omg I must have all the predominating white-headed cardigans EVER.

No word yet when the rational part (the brain that remembers how much puppies suck) will surface. I mean really though, look at this:

I do this sometimes and then I remember a tiny house and huge yard with no fence is not good for 2 dogs. But I want all of the cardigans in the world!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ButWhatIf posted:

Get the puppy

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My husband has informed me that he wants to do Canine Freestyle with Vecna and that he's already picked out the song (More Human Than Human by White Zombie) :gonk: and in the same breath insists he's totally not a crazy dog lady or a dog person at all!!

Yeah ok dude. Only crazy dog ladies want to dance with their dogs hth.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 14, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Don't think I've seen a video of Major before. If I thought his little nubbin was cute before, it's even more adorable in motion. :3:

The spanielly dog is cute too.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Fraction posted:

Get the puppy

Listen to this. This is wisdom right there.

I still have puppy fever too, oh god, still waiting to hear from a Texas breeder if I get one of her pups, why do I have to want Black and Tan so bad? Reds and sesames are everywhere and I'd be guaranteed one of those!

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

On Saturday we're going upstate to visit my girlfriend's family for the holidays. Their house is full of stairs and we'll be seeing a bunch of people so we're not taking Beck. She'll stay with my parents. It's the first time I've gone out of town without her since Skylar died and I'm being really momsy and embarassing about it because oh no what if she is sad

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
So, last night I got back to the house where we're staying to dogsit for our aunt. I felt bad making the old lady dog stay upstairs by herself since she'd been alone all day, which she's not used to. Meanwhile, I can hear the cats screaming their fool heads off in the basement because OH MY GOD SOMEONE IS HOME COME DOWN HERE DON'T YOU REALIZE WE'RE ALONE I THINK I HEAR A CAN OPEN HOLY poo poo.

So, against my better judgement, I carried the dog down the steps, plopped her on the floor, and introduced my cats to their first dog in the worst, most non-PI approved, stupid way possible.*

Cats looked at dog. Cats puffed up into halloween cats. Dog went over to cat bowls and ate remnants of cat food. Dog laid down on carpet. Cats watched dog carefully for about an hour and then decided she was okay.

All three cats and the dog have now been together in the basement for over 12 hours and I've only heard one hiss and that was because the dog stuck her nose in Frank's rear end when he was trying to eat. They've all sniffed each other and while the cats are still a little wary of her, they're fine and not really freaked out at all.

Seriously. I can't loving believe it. It's a Christmas loving Miracle.

*I should note that I wouldn't have done this except I've seen the dog around strange cats before and knew how SHE would react. It was the cats that were the mystery and I figured I could stop them from hurting her.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Rho did some pivoting yesterday: http://youtu.be/fuVvfLR60C0 I'm still wondering if I can turn this into a Trkmanesque free shaped heeling thing, but I blew it last time I tried.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
I enjoyed NerdSperging in the pitbull thread so much, I was wondering if anyone might be interested in doing a sort of ~pi journal club~? We could post open access papers on (eg) behaviour, training, vet stuff, genetics, evolution and discuss them? If a handful of people are interested, I'll go ahead and post a thread. We could even have a weekly rota with people signing up to choose a paper to discuss zomg :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If we have a PI book (journal) club does that mean the dogs have to drink mocha frappacinos too? Or just us?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Rixatrix posted:

Rho did some pivoting yesterday: http://youtu.be/fuVvfLR60C0 I'm still wondering if I can turn this into a Trkmanesque free shaped heeling thing, but I blew it last time I tried.

How'd you blow it?

I'm working on Cohen's heeling right now too. I'm trying to get it a bit more "prancy" using Trkman's method, but progress feels slow. I'll have to rewatch the DVD to see if I've missed anything. I also think I rushed it a bit since Cohen has a good understanding of heel position, but she's not as precise as she could be.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

notsowelp posted:

I enjoyed NerdSperging in the pitbull thread so much, I was wondering if anyone might be interested in doing a sort of ~pi journal club~? We could post open access papers on (eg) behaviour, training, vet stuff, genetics, evolution and discuss them? If a handful of people are interested, I'll go ahead and post a thread. We could even have a weekly rota with people signing up to choose a paper to discuss zomg :3:

Yes do this yes :3:

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003

notsowelp posted:

Yes, this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My alarm went off this morning and Sadie responded by bringing me one of her mouse toys. I gave her pettings and then she ran off and brought me her other one!

• Locked thread