Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Super High-School Level Luck?
Same VA?

I'm not convinced. :colbert:

Unless it turns out that they have different birthdays or something? I didn't bother looking it up.

They do. Naegi was born in Feburary and was 1.6m tall like Calaveron said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzbone
Oct 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

Oh, for - they’re doing this deliberately, aren’t they?!
And this is what makes this LP even more enjoyable!

Pointless insights aside, glad to see the return of pixelated students.
Might be a bit of a spoilery thought, but have you seen any merchandise featuring sprites of the cast yet Onenronen?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

loquacius posted:

My only question is if Hinata was such a SHSL Hope's Peak Academy Fanboy, why wasn't he reading the same message boards Naegi and Nagito were? I mean, obviously some pretty crazy poo poo happened to his memory; maybe he did and just can't remember?

He probably wasn't actually obsessed with the school. If you go back and reread the first update, his introductory monologue starts to break up when he gets around to talking about how he has always revered the school, and it repeats it a few times fading out.

quote:

I have one and only one reason for coming to Hope's Peak Academy. I revere this school.
It represents everything I have ever aspired to become.
Yes, I pretty much worship it.
My lifelong dream has always been to attend Hope’s Peak Academy, so I, too, could stand proud...

That has always been my one and only ambition...

That has always been my one and only ambition...

Always always always always always alwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwa

Music stops.

ysalwaysalwaysMeMyselfconsciousNonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI

talent▲individualitybrokenPprobably■finallyIalways○DdomyBestmydreamcomestrue~+i*

My guess is that this is indicative of some kind of false memory, or brainwashing, or something along those lines. He already can't remember what his talent is, so it seems fair that there's been something going on with him.

draconianlaw
Oct 21, 2012

Loaded with logic. Literally.
Well, he doesn't seem quite the same as our Super High-School Level Luck, at least. (Wonder if the staff picked up on their names being anagrams. Clearly these are lucky letters!)

draconianlaw fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 14, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Super High-School Level Luck?
Same VA?

I'm not convinced. :colbert:

Unless it turns out that they have different birthdays or something? I didn't bother looking it up.

Keep in mind that according to him there's a SHSL luck every single year, so it's not like Naegi is a super special snowflake.

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.

orenronen posted:

Can you hear me...?

Hey, are you alright?
...You sure look exhausted.
I am too, you know. We all are.
I mean... with all the crazy stuff that happened...
...Hey, are you listening?

Very happy to see this. Since the first update I was worried this'd be a case of an end game scene appearing early on to draw the reader in, which would mean Nagito would be guaranteed to survive until it happened.
Those sorts of scenes are okay when you're not likely to go back over them, I guess, but in this LP format it'd give too much away.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Like Fedule noticed, they're definately trying to make us think Nagito is Naegi, and giving us all the evidence to point it that way.
1.) voice actor
2.) name
3.) SHSL skill
4.) appearence
5.) Way of arriving to the school.
However there is some evidence that goes against it
1.) Personality
2.) Probably the way of speaking in japanese
3.) Height
4.) Birthday

My answer? This is simply a Red Herring type thing and the game developers are playing with us.

" Hey, wait, is that-"

Fredule might've noticed something small in either the image or the japanese that they know. probably the first.
I like that, because it's interesting to see someone else make a note of things as they go. Orenronen has already played through this game, probably, and isn't going to have the same ZOMG that Fredule will have. I like Blind LPs like that.
Hinata's an A Blood Type and Nagito's an O... O are Intuitive, doubtful, and unpredictable according to Japan and A shows an obsession with detail, Patience, and Reason. Sounds like a good dynamic.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 14, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kytrarewn posted:

Serious question for translation chat with Orenronen/Fedule- How did you happen to decide on "target" for the targeting circle, rather then "reticule" or "cursor"?

It was a serious and deliberate and extremely well justified decision and absolutely not a total oversight which is now being corrected. At all. Good on you for possessing the necessary skills to perceive my immaculate reasoning process!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really sorry if I missed it but is Usami's name some kind of pun? I get that usagi means rabbit.

This game continues being as stylish as the first, I really like it. The sprites are adorable and if that's a tamagotchi then wow.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

HangedManArcana posted:

Like Fedule noticed, they're definately trying to make us think Nagito is Naegi, and giving us all the evidence to point it that way.
1.) voice actor
2.) name
3.) SHSL skill
4.) appearence
5.) Way of arriving to the school.
However there is some evidence that goes against it
1.) Personality
2.) Probably the way of speaking in japanese
3.) Height
4.) Birthday

My answer? This is simply a Red Herring type thing and the game developers are playing with us.

" Hey, wait, is that-"

Fredule might've noticed something small in either the image or the japanese that they know. probably the first.
I like that because it's interesting
Hinata's an A Blood Type and Nagito's an O... O are Intuitive, doubtful, and unpredictable according to Japan and A shows an obsession with detail, Patience, and Reason. Sounds like a good dynamic.

This is most definitely what the developers were planning. It's far to obvious to players of the first game, especially given their devotion to well-known voice actors so far. Normally i'd ignore things like different heights but I think it's fair to call Spike out on their poo poo. Hopefully there won't be too many more "hints" after this.

Still have no idea what they are planning with Fatogami though.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

dog days are over posted:

I'm really sorry if I missed it but is Usami's name some kind of pun? I get that usagi means rabbit.

It's a small pun. Usami is a normal Japanese given name, which as you said, sounds like Usagi.

Her other name, Monomi, so far as I'm aware isn't a normal name, but "-mi" is a typical pattern for Japanese girl's names. For an English comparison, it'd be something like "Mononique."

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Saeku posted:

It's a small pun. Usami is a normal Japanese given name, which as you said, sounds like Usagi.

Her other name, Monomi, so far as I'm aware isn't a normal name, but "-mi" is a typical pattern for Japanese girl's names. For an English comparison, it'd be something like "Mononique."

...There are some more things to say about Usami's name, but they will have to wait for a cultural note in a later update.

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012

Does this mean this time we unlock a new island after each murder solved, instead of a new floor?

CommissarMega posted:

Perhaps THIS is the incident they were trying to cover up? That with who knows how many Super-Grown Up Talented People they could call upon, they could now genetically and/or psychologically engineer SHSL kids? The thought of some cabal of hyper-talented people creating more hyper-talented people guaranteed to rule the world certainly wouldn't sit well with me.

...I like this idea. It certainly fits with the "Hope's Peak Academy's faculty members are much like parents, who made it their life’s mission to find talent and nurture it in their children" ideology mentioned in the second DR0 update, just taken to a (debatably well-intentioned) extreme.

Not to mention the tamagotchi minigame we've suddenly gained; engineered SHSL Hopes engineering their own hopes. Symbolism! :v:

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I really like the direction this game is taking. It's being extremely self aware with regards to people's prior expectations to the point whether I have no idea if Nagito is just a coincidentally similar character or an incredibly sophisticated double bluff where he actually is Naegi, but it's so obvious you don't think they'd do it. I'm leaning towards the former though - it's to be expected that there would be another SHSL Good Luck, especially if there was a class who arrived at Hope's Peak after the first group, but before the Despair incident.

Also it looks like the gameplay mechanics will be a bit more in depth this time, what with measuring relationship values and how hopeful/despairing you are. I'm hoping this will actually affect the plot, rather than just representing event flags for character conversations.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I know Nagito is not Naegi. Just compare their eyes and you can tell the difference.

CommissarMega posted:

Perhaps THIS is the incident they were trying to cover up? That with who knows how many Super-Grown Up Talented People they could call upon, they could now genetically and/or psychologically engineer SHSL kids? The thought of some cabal of hyper-talented people creating more hyper-talented people guaranteed to rule the world certainly wouldn't sit well with me. It could also explain why there's a Naegi-alike, who's still not the Naegi we all know- perhaps the guy in charge of the project didn't have SHSL Naming Skills.

From the tone of Kirigiri, it sounds like they are covering up a pretty sudden accident rather than a scheme that has been running for a long time. Perhaps one of their Super Students went berserk and committed the murders as Naegi and co. discovered in DR1? That would fit the "I didn't kill them" line from Junko as well.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
If this is set after the first Dangan Ronpa, I'd guess that Hope's Peak became interested in researching luck because Naegi proved to be so remarkable. Naegi's invitation said, 'This year, we decided to accept one student chosen by lottery from among each and every one of the country's regular high school students' - the 'This year' implies to me that this was something they hadn't done before.

orenronen posted:

Ah, I'm sorry... I can't help having some negative feelings. It's a bad habit of mine.

This interests me because optimism was presented from the beginning as Naegi's defining trait. Apart from the height, I'd say this is the biggest difference we've seen so far between Naegi and Nagito. That doesn't completely preclude the possibility that Nagito is Naegi - I suppose going through the events of the first game would probably give anyone's optimism a knock - but personally I think they're different people. (Although that may just be wishful thinking, because I like Naegi and I want him to have escaped all this.)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's good to see they've made improvements and added features to the sequel despite the core gameplay and idea being the same as before.

Personally I'm going to avoid speculating overmuch, going into the whole thing with an open mind makes it a lot more enjoyable in my opinion. Though I must say I'm going to be really amused if Togami survives this game as well, despite being even more obviously doomed than he was in the previous one.

E:

Why is that rabbit's theme so drat catchy :argh:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 14, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
People analyzing the differences and similarities between Naegi and Komaeda are overlooking an important similarity: both of them are clearly the heroine.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ahahaa. So, Nagito isn't Naegi, he's just someone like him in almost every way. This is great.

Also of note: The map's menu icon strongly implies that this island features a volcano. Fun!

Levity
Oct 9, 2012
I still stand by my belief that this does take place after the first Dangan Ronpa, maybe a few years or so afterwards, and that Naegi and Nagito are different people (I know you all have crazy theories but you have factual evidence such as different birthdays and the drastic height change that can only really be explained by absurd things). Although I was hoping Nagito wasn't Naegi from the start anyway because I like Naegi and I don't want him to die ):

I don't think the DR developers would pull another Maizono, at least not blatantly like that, but who knows. Personally I don't think Nagito is going to live but it doesn't feel like he would die so early (I mean he IS SHSL Good Luck right ???)

None of this explains why Togami is still here though but I guess we'll figure that out eventually

Benly posted:

People analyzing the differences and similarities between Naegi and Komaeda are overlooking an important similarity: both of them are clearly the heroine.
This is beautiful

Slash_Prower
Sep 1, 2012
Considering all the little similarities between Naegi and Nagito, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the writers are trying to subvert expectations by making us think that Nagito is going to be one of the final cast. My guess is that Nagito is going to either kill someone or end up murdered in the first case. I also think that the writers are trying really hard to make everyone think that Nagito is Naegi when he's actually not.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Slash_Prower posted:

Considering all the little similarities between Naegi and Nagito, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the writers are trying to subvert expectations by making us think that Nagito is going to be one of the final cast. My guess is that Nagito is going to either kill someone or end up murdered in the first case. I also think that the writers are trying really hard to make everyone think that Nagito is Naegi when he's actually not.

Except they just outed him as not being Naegi by virtue of being more cynical and negative then Naegi.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Saeku posted:

Looks like Nagito is super-optimistic, too. Everything we've seen so far is consistent with an older or somehow alternate Naegi. However...

Is it just me, or is this not the face and posture of a good guy? He sets off my "villain-dar" like WOAH.

edit: I think he physically looks like Naegi combined with Junko. Which might not be related to anything in the story, but intended as either a clue or red herring to the viewer.

I have to echo this. I saw this pose and anime's doing this pose is never good.

I'm not sure if it's because he's being so forceful but that dude has me crazy uneasy. I'm wondering if this is how Naegi came off in the first game to everyone else.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Can I make a suggestion, oren? It's hard to see the symbol for voiced-dialogue most of the time. I've missed nearly every one so far, only spotting it on second read-throughs. Maybe putting the symbol before the text would be better? Maybe even before the character icon for full visibility?

Levity
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have to echo this. I saw this pose and anime's doing this pose is never good.

I'm not sure if it's because he's being so forceful but that dude has me crazy uneasy. I'm wondering if this is how Naegi came off in the first game to everyone else.
What this probably means is that Nagito is going to end up being one of the killers, meaning he COULD have Maizono's intentions but actually succeed in the scheme that he sets up, making for an interesting first trial. He's definitely a lot more assertive than Naegi was.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Okay I'm going to continue this LP with the fact that Nagito isn't Naegi.

With that out of way, the fact that the school invited SHSL Good Luck people every year makes me come to the conclusion that this cast of students are upperclassmen to the DR1 cast!(besides Togami I guess)
Junko in the first game said that Naegi and co. only spent one year in their school year at Hope Academy and then another year at the locked school, so that would mean that Naegi should be the last SHSL Luck the school invited. Of course this is only based on the fact that Nagito isn't Naegi.

Also yeah Nagito appears to have a difernt personality than Naegi. Also if he keeps hanging out with us maybe Togami isn't doomed....yay!

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Even if Nagito isn't Naegi, there has to be some sort of (in-universe) explanation to the similarities. I'd be a little disappointed if it's just the writers loving with us.
It's Luck!

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2012

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Even if Nagito isn't Naegi, there has to be some sort of (in-universe) explanation to the similarities. I'd be a little disappointed if it's just the writers loving with us.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Benly posted:

I was thinking Ogata was playing Kaworu instead of Shinji this time, but that works too.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
[removed]

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 28, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I'm the complete opposite, there doesn't really need to be an in-universe reason for why two characters could look alike, although there could be a narrative one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Anyway, why not look around yourself, and make your introductions while you’re at it?
I’ve already spoken to everyone... but I’d like to tag along while you explore, if that’s OK.

It seems I’ve got myself a partner...

Does this mean we'll get to see more group conversations during exploration phases? I approve of this development.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm the complete opposite, there doesn't really need to be an in-universe reason for why two characters could look alike, although there could be a narrative one.

Look alike, wear similar clothes, have similar names, both won the SHSL lottery. I'd say that there is going to be a in-universe reason for all that.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Good thing the character art is starting to go up, I couldn't remember anyone's name in DR1.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

IceBorg posted:

With that out of way, the fact that the school invited SHSL Good Luck people every year makes me come to the conclusion that this cast of students are upperclassmen to the DR1 cast!(besides Togami I guess)
Junko in the first game said that Naegi and co. only spent one year in their school year at Hope Academy and then another year at the locked school, so that would mean that Naegi should be the last SHSL Luck the school invited. Of course this is only based on the fact that Nagito isn't Naegi.

From what I remember of the last trial of DR1, I'm pretty sure Naegi et al. were there for 2 years before The Most Despairing Event happened. Naegi's invite made it sound like he was the first SHSL-Luck too, so I think that either Komaeda said it's an annual thing to cover his tracks (if he is Naegi incognito) or ever since Naegi got in, it was intended to be an annual thing after all and Komaeda got the second/last Luck invite.

So, either way, it's certainly possible for these guys to be the DR1 cast's underclassmen; upper seems like too much of a stretch right now. Really, though, Togami's existence here is a pretty noticable issue with either but I expect that to be resolved later.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's almost definitely the writers loving with you, there doesn't really need to be an in-universe reason for why two characters could look alike, although there could be a narrative one.

I dunno. It just feels to me that having a "hint" like that and then not explaining it (which essentially means it was just a coincidence, in-universe) is kinda lazy. Especially in a detective story like DR, where a big part of the experience is trying to figure out the mystery on your own.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
Hmmm, the pet has a place for Hope and Despair? The Hope rabbit has no intention of us killing each-other?

Why do I get the feeling that Mono-bear is going to pop in and have a Hope versus Despair war?

If that's the case, then it would explain why Togami and Naegi are here. They're undercover.

Although, it's possible that this isn't a sequel and this happened during the time-skip in the last game. Those are Togami and Naegi (well, the real Naegi, and the other one was a clone...) and this is what sparked the incident in the last game.

Also, did anyone notice that in the video that had all the splash pages with the characters, that everyone got their own page except the cook and not-Naegi? (They were on the same screen.)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I dunno. It just feels to me that having a "hint" like that and then not explaining it (which essentially means it was just a coincidence, in-universe) is kinda lazy. Especially in a detective story like DR, where a big part of the experience is trying to figure out the mystery on your own.

Something I don't think has been brought up. If Nagito's the new Naegi, doesn't that make us the new Kirigiri?

Hajime Hinata is an alliterative name, just like Kyouko Kirigiri.

I think there might be connections (besides Togami), but I think this is a stylistic method of making the sequel have familiar-feeling characters, which it couldn't otherwise do because, well, most of the DR cast is dead.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

getitoffgetitoff posted:

As was said, there could be a narrative reason for the similarities. I mean, if Nagito is Naegi or not he is pretty clearly meant deliberately to evoke Naegi and in a mystery novel like this, you don't include details like that unless it is important (a red herring also counts as an important detail).

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Look alike, wear similar clothes, have similar names, both won the SHSL lottery. I'd say that there is going to be a in-universe reason for all that.

Like Hinata was getting at, if they did a lottery every year, then someone would have to win.
The simiar clothing thing isn't that hard, since neither has a distinct outfit. They just both have "green hoodies"... it would be a much bigger connection if they both dressed like say...Leon. (Safety pins~)
Lookin alike... Nagito is about a foot taller, and has a different hair and eye color, and hair style. Just, again, they're both sort of generic looking beyond the anime factor.
And the names... just because it's an anagram, doesn't mean it's similar. they sound very different when pronounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
"SHSL Good Luck"? Ha ha, yeah, definitely a huge red herring. Other than that, he's the opposite - trying to refuse the invitation and being pessimistic about things.

• Locked thread