Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

funzo2226 posted:

Everyone come to test, it's free. I literally have 5 accounts with one character each and can create more at anytime.

Everyone who is on test state your character name and guild name:

Funzoe (85 rogue) - <Tacgnol>
Riverrs (85 bard) - <Tacgnol>

We can start grouping together and killing poo poo.

Vildeor (87 Shaman)
Xantarr (80 SK)
Smugatheist (80 Mage)

I'm hardly ever on. I just bought a new computer with dual screen monitors and haven't had the time to set up IS Boxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Grats me on amazing loot!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

xZAOx posted:

Grats me on amazing loot!

I'm actually impressed that you caught Phara Dar up - people farm the piss out of her on Luclin.

I finally got a white dragon hide after farming Gorenaire about 14 times over the summer, and after a lot of research I was able to finally make the White Dragonscale Cloak. It's a great twink item even now, but I remember when it was made using a White Dragon Scale, so assholes on raids would roll against Bards who needed it for their epic.

Another bad memory I could do without.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

Not in time, but in patheticness: I believe we spent in the area of 10-12 hours in Veeshan's Peak, and all we killed was Silverwing, who was easy. The rest of the hours were spent wiping over and over on Hoshkar, that gating rear end in a top hat. I still have this image from when he got trained to the entrance as we were about to CR:

I was one of the non-kos pullers in VP, so I spent hours and hours dragging corpses out of Hoshkar's lair after wipes. And never seeing mobs die cause I had to /q out.

My favorite wipe on Hoshkar was one where I got charmed, and nuked both a cleric and shaman to death, while a different cleric got charmed and CHealed Hoshkar twice. Because of the aggro wipe on charm breaking and being ally, I just kept myself alive once charm wore off and watched him walk out after killing the other 35 people.

I considered that a victory for my team.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pilsner posted:

Not in time, but in patheticness: I believe we spent in the area of 10-12 hours in Veeshan's Peak, and all we killed was Silverwing, who was easy. The rest of the hours were spent wiping over and over on Hoshkar, that gating rear end in a top hat. I still have this image from when he got trained to the entrance as we were about to CR:

Weekend plane of sky raids was the first thing that pushed me out of the game for a bit. I was playing a druid at the time, and trying to keep folks alive with a 350 hp heal with bees that were hitting for 600+ was a fools errand, but the clerics were busy enough.

VP had a similar effect, loving gating hoshkar, then sitting in the pool room for the rest of the raid.

We manaburned the hell out of that place a couple years later, was night and day. So nice to not have to leave a corpse outside to get rezzed out of that deathtrap. I knew folks that lost their corpses at the zone in. When a wurm (any splitting mob?) splits, thats the spawn point. gently caress.

Non-Soulbound keys... what a great idea! We used to have to duel outside Sebilis to keep a key on the corpse in case of a wipe.

Thats fun eh?

So many times in EQ I would have been better off laying my nutsack on the keyboard and just hitting it with a hammer. :v:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm actually impressed that you caught Phara Dar up - people farm the piss out of her on Luclin.

I transferred to Test. Why would people FARM anything in VP? I can understand nostalgia kills, but that's a one time thing (I have no intention of ever killing PD again). I can understand why AoN still gets farmed, and epic stuff gets farmed....but VP?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

xZAOx posted:

I transferred to Test. Why would people FARM anything in VP? I can understand nostalgia kills, but that's a one time thing (I have no intention of ever killing PD again). I can understand why AoN still gets farmed, and epic stuff gets farmed....but VP?

This is probably pre-revamp but we farmed Druushk for sow swords. This is when the dragons were lvl 65 w/ 32k hps. I thought there were some more clickies (charm and heal staffs?) but they were probably not put on the named drakes in the revamp. Been too long to remember.

Never got my rend robe, that was pulled sometime during velious. It made Aary in NToV too easy to kill. Fuckers, it was like 50 dps, nothing crazy.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xygoz drops his ALEX that is still a needed item for tanks to no damage tank. And the zone gives some good Overthere faction to get your OT gate hammer with the best faction hits coming from the dragons and their guardians. Someone zones in for either one of those and then figures "Hey, might as well kill the other dragons!". Which is basically the same thing you're doing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

jetz0r posted:

Xygoz drops his ALEX that is still a needed item for tanks to no damage tank. And the zone gives some good Overthere faction to get your OT gate hammer with the best faction hits coming from the dragons and their guardians. Someone zones in for either one of those and then figures "Hey, might as well kill the other dragons!". Which is basically the same thing you're doing.

Man, EQ continues to surprise me on how they make 10 year old content still have some relevance.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004
I will be playing on and off on Test server. Shnaggle is my main character and still in the old guild. If anyone sees me on sed a tell and if you want a guild invite let me know.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This is pretty obscure, I think, but my druid and bard were originally on Brell and were on whatever server Brell became when I started up again this past May. I transferred my 65 druid and bard to Luclin (they are now 80) but all of my alts are still on the old server, one of which is a 24th level froglok wizard whose name eludes me at the moment. I had an inherited (from another player) 65 wizard back on Brell years ago but was unable to reactivate him when I started up again.

Now, I am not going to pay to transfer a 24 wizard for obvious reasons (I also want a new name for him and a separate account), but I think that that frog has this thing called a "Solist's Icy Wand." It's a little clicky hand-held thing that casts a levevl 8-ish nuke, but has infinite charges. I think that they drop(ped) in Kurn's tower - does anyone know if they still do to this day? That thing is really handy even to lower-mid levels for finishing off weakened mobs, but I am not going to pay a server transfer fee just for that.

If there are any other infinite-use DD clicks for wizards that can be acquired without ridiculous amounts of camping/farming, I'm all ears for those as well.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
To be honest, I can't see it mattering. Most people get to 60 in a few days, by using a merc.

If you're looking for more of a nostalgic-based approach to leveling up, then you might care. But the damage it'll do won't matter for any amount of time.

You can also hit up the bazaar and see if one is on there. It does come from Kurn's Tower, and I can't imagine it's gone. You could also farm one up with your 80 stupidly easy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

xZAOx posted:

You can also hit up the bazaar and see if one is on there. It does come from Kurn's Tower, and I can't imagine it's gone. You could also farm one up with your 80 stupidly easy.

Unless they upped the drop rate, I wouldn't say "stupidly easy". I camped that thing for 2 week straight, killing everything in the zone and never saw one drop. I ended up buying one for tons of plat, but it was well worth it for my forever-lvl 12 PK wizard. Infinite lvl 8 nuke was fantastic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

xZAOx posted:

To be honest, I can't see it mattering. Most people get to 60 in a few days, by using a merc.

If you're looking for more of a nostalgic-based approach to leveling up, then you might care. But the damage it'll do won't matter for any amount of time.

See paragraph 2 - I kind of am. I want to try leveling up my little tadpole only in old-world zones, at least until 50, then maybe head to Kunark. I'm not even sure if I am going to use my druid and/or SK to pl him.

Even with an 80, it's a very rare drop from what I hear and I don't enjoy playing the odds - farming items in EQ is roughly as entertaining as farming potatoes in real life.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
For the bard AA that increases the runspeed cap, does it affect everyone in my group that gets hit with Selos? Or just the bard? If it's the latter, it seems like that AA would be actively bad for grouping.

StickOnTattoos
May 5, 2006
Lick it and stick it
Just for the bard. Its a pretty nice AA still. The selos AA for the group is nice to tie in with fading memories then link it to the wheel button. In emergency situations you can selos the whole group then vanish.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

See paragraph 2 - I kind of am. I want to try leveling up my little tadpole only in old-world zones, at least until 50, then maybe head to Kunark. I'm not even sure if I am going to use my druid and/or SK to pl him.

Even with an 80, it's a very rare drop from what I hear and I don't enjoy playing the odds - farming items in EQ is roughly as entertaining as farming potatoes in real life.

If you want to do that old world leveling plan come to test and I will join you. It would be fun to do that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I would do that as well. It would be cool to get a group of us romping through the old world.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

I would do that as well. It would be cool to get a group of us romping through the old world.

I would love to have 3 PC's and 3 mercs tearing through Old Seb, but I am staying on Luclin because all of the people I know are there. You can copy to Test, but not *from* test, otherwise I would take you up on that offer.

Edit: Can you level up on Test and then pay the standard server transfer fee to go to another server? I wouldn't think so and I really don't want to pay that outlandish fee, but I am curious.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 13, 2012

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
I'd love to do a full group of old-world dungeon crawling on test. The only problem is that you'd get exp so quickly that whatever dungeon we did would be a cakewalk. Unless you were in the 50s and everyone just maxed the AA slider.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd have no problem just maxing out AA's while we crawled through the old world dungeons.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
True, wouldn't be too big of a drawback. I'd definitely do it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Medullah posted:

Unless they upped the drop rate, I wouldn't say "stupidly easy". I camped that thing for 2 week straight, killing everything in the zone and never saw one drop. I ended up buying one for tons of plat, but it was well worth it for my forever-lvl 12 PK wizard. Infinite lvl 8 nuke was fantastic.
You'll be fine. A lvl 8 nuke will really be nothing within a day of playing, and I'm sure there are upgrades out there with even better clicky nukes. With the fast regeneration functionality and/or a tank merc, you won't be hurting for mana either.

As for other clickies, there are the Torrefaction items for a start. But still, cast a real nuke and sit down for a tick after the fight and it'll all go much faster. :)

JustJeff88 posted:

Edit: Can you level up on Test and then pay the standard server transfer fee to go to another server? I wouldn't think so and I really don't want to pay that outlandish fee, but I am curious.
Officially you can't, although a bunch of goons went through hell getting their characters transferred from Test to Luclin in the great Spring 2012 goon rush. Some of them had to pester GM after GM and customer service for weeks until they finally caved it, and had to pay for it. I wouldn't count on it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pilsner posted:

You'll be fine. A lvl 8 nuke will really be nothing within a day of playing, and I'm sure there are upgrades out there with even better clicky nukes. With the fast regeneration functionality and/or a tank merc, you won't be hurting for mana either.

Heh, I was speaking from the past. My story was from ~2003. :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Officially you can't, although a bunch of goons went through hell getting their characters transferred from Test to Luclin in the great Spring 2012 goon rush. Some of them had to pester GM after GM and customer service for weeks until they finally caved it, and had to pay for it. I wouldn't count on it.

I tried like hell to transfer off of Test a few months after all the goons were successful. They shot me down time after time and said "We did it in the past but we are currently not allowing it in near future."

I got my petition escalated to a Lead-GM, and sent tons of e-mails. I told them I wanted to give them my money. Id pay for a transfer off and then pay a monthly sub. They were hearing none of it. So good luck, but it's probably not going to happen. At least for now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

I tried like hell to transfer off of Test a few months after all the goons were successful. They shot me down time after time and said "We did it in the past but we are currently not allowing it in near future."

I got my petition escalated to a Lead-GM, and sent tons of e-mails. I told them I wanted to give them my money. Id pay for a transfer off and then pay a monthly sub. They were hearing none of it. So good luck, but it's probably not going to happen. At least for now.

I assumed as such. If not, people would just all start on Test, level up very very fast, and then transfer off to standard servers.

I hardly think that that would break the game in any fashion, but it's not at all surprising.

VenimeuxHaine
Mar 22, 2012
I've decided to give test a shot. I joined /goontest last night but only one person was there.

Navrant 78 sk
Numrume 78 shm

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
You know, I have never played a shaman on EQ - not for one solitary moment. It strikes me that, for me, it's one of those classes that is fun to work with, but I might not enjoy playing. I tend to be that way about more "passive" support classes.

Mind you, I feel similarly about enchanters, but those I have some experience with them and know that, when moloing at low levels, they have a few nukes and DoTs

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

You know, I have never played a shaman on EQ - not for one solitary moment. It strikes me that, for me, it's one of those classes that is fun to work with, but I might not enjoy playing. I tend to be that way about more "passive" support classes.

Mind you, I feel similarly about enchanters, but those I have some experience with them and know that, when moloing at low levels, they have a few nukes and DoTs

Enchanters were the most exciting, active class in the world back in classic, when mezzes and charms were king poo poo. It's definitely a different world now, sadly.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Any of you testers know if the triple XP RAF bonus stacks / works on Test?

Also, I seem to not have the Rain of Fear expansion on Test, anyone else?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Nope, me either.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Any of you testers know if the triple XP RAF bonus stacks / works on Test?

RAF bonus was so sweet. Glad they grandfathered it in, it's like cheating.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I and all my other accounts have rain of fear enabled on test, complete with offline selling and the new zones, without owning the expansion on live. Dunno if it makes a difference or not, but all the accounts are silver on live.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

Pon de Bundy posted:

RAF bonus was so sweet. Glad they grandfathered it in, it's like cheating.

Never heard of the RAF bonus until now. I started my accounts in April; if I started in February, I could have a triple experience bonus on my subs? drat...

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Are the mercs from a silver account good enough to level all the way up with? Or does the rank of mercs make a huge difference?

Also, me and a friend are douoing. With the healer and tank merc, we can just play anything we want right?

Last question, what are the DPS classes that are the most "simple" right now? I was always overwhelmed by endgame eq because there was like 15 abilities I had to use in a rotation. Is mage just sent pet and use my best nuke?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

At the higher levels the merc ranks make a HUGE difference. You're probably fine until 70 or 80 with the silver ones though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Cbear posted:

Are the mercs from a silver account good enough to level all the way up with? Or does the rank of mercs make a huge difference?

Also, me and a friend are douoing. With the healer and tank merc, we can just play anything we want right?

Last question, what are the DPS classes that are the most "simple" right now? I was always overwhelmed by endgame eq because there was like 15 abilities I had to use in a rotation. Is mage just sent pet and use my best nuke?

I can answer a little of these, although not all of it, but here's my experiences.

If you mean level all the way to 100? No. The "A" (can't remember what it stands for, Apprentice maybe?) mercs will work at the start, and I think I was using A5 mercs when I was starting AA grinds in the Hole (65-70 I believe). As you get into 70s, if you can't tank yourself some, you'll need to get "J" levels (Journeyman). You can't get those as Silver (although there used to be a loophole...). Now at 81, I use a J5 healer, and that's fine for "molo"ing 1-2 light blue / dark blue mobs. I can solo the mobs, but the healer gets rid of all downtime, which I find more fun, even if less efficient overall. From what I hear, mid-late 80s, they start to be come pretty useless overall (the tank at least).

Also, remember that even a tank that can take the damage, as a merc, isn't always that great. They're not the smartest. And sometimes the healer mercs go apeshit on wasting mana.

As far as endgame DPS, I couldn't tell you. I do know that "back in the day", my monk had 1 button to spam during combat, with some discs that were situational "oh poo poo" buttons. Now at 81, I have like a billion things to press and keep track of. My guess is all DPS classes are like that now. But really, EQ is a long game - I wouldn't make a decision solely on how it performs in raids or something silly. Find a class that can do things that you enjoy.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Cbear posted:

Aye, you can duo with anything with a healer and tank merc, at least the highest rank mercs. Even at lvl 95 I just let my tank merc do the tanking and healer merc do almost all healing, although supplying with emergency heals from my shaman box, which were necessary once in a while. I only tanking with my monk when I drew agro or while pulling.

As for simple, do you want melee or spell caster? Melee are simple in their own way, although even monks and rogues get a lot of extra abilities that they use all the time while fighting.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
The classes I'm looking at are monk, bard, ranger, SK for melee and mage, necromancer for casters.

I guess I should go into more detail. I'm going to duo with a friend and were going to level up with mercs. Then well prolly go back and kill old world nostalgia stuff.

What I'm looking for out of a class is great DPS that I can not have to babysit and simply spam a few abilities. I played a feral cat druid in wow and just want a really easy DPS compared to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd go with Monk. Great DPS, great puller, fast runspeed. Tons of survivability, and not too many buttons to spam when fighting.

You cant go wrong with any of those classes really. SK is not really a DPS class though, and also requires a ton of gear and AA's to reach their full potential.

Mage would probably be the easiest. /petattack and then drop a nuke now and then.