Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I'm pretty sure he's making it up. No one is that much of a douche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Vertigo posted:

Haha. What is it about Mad Elf this year? Did they do a bigger area/lower production/?

I can't figure out why this is so hard to get a hold of this year.

Hype. That's about it. More stores want it, so less was available to the existing stores, and more people want it. I don't think they lowered production any. I remember last year a lot of people talked about Mad Elf, and I guess the word of mouth just got bigger. I know people who drink only light beers who are looking for it everywhere, it's the biggest hype beer I've seen in my area in a while.

Also Sierra Nevada made a new promo/branding video. I think it looks nice but I don't think it needed 4 minutes to convey that Sierra Nevada is a company that cares about the environment.

@WaffleStomp: Yes, I'm a dick head for it, but you work in a liquor store for a year and tell me you don't get loving annoyed when there's hundreds of excellent options and the only thing people care about is one loving beer. It's annoying to get nasty looks from people when you tell them you don't have Mad Elf and that there's no store in the area with it. You get looked at like you're a piece of poo poo who has a poo poo ton of it stocked up. I even had one customer try to walk into our employee room to check, I had to call security to get him out of the store it was that bad.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Seems like you're just bitter about people looking for certain beers. But you had yours so it's all good right? :lol:

edit please don't respond because I won't be able to see it

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 14, 2012

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

You get looked at like you're a piece of poo poo who has a poo poo ton of it stocked up.

Yea why would they give you that look. I mean it's not like you deliberately put a six pack behind the counter for them to see when you know they can't buy it, so why would they think you're hiding something?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Josh Wow posted:

Yea why would they give you that look. I mean it's not like you deliberately put a six pack behind the counter for them to see when you know they can't buy it, so why would they think you're hiding something?

This was before I'd done that.

Edit: and yes I'm okay if the thread hates me for what I did.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Midorka posted:

Edit: Oh god Mad Elf. I'm sick of hearing about it. I get 4 people into my shop a day looking for it. I decided to bring my 6 pack in to sit behind the counter to antagonize, "Oh, that's mine I already paid for it, it's coming home with me tonight." At least I get to laugh in my head as I get annoyed by the loving Mad Elf stampedes. I wouldn't even be that pissed if they were interested in other beers, but they look around, ask for Mad Elf, get pissed when we say we don't have it, then storm out.

So, let's imagine I live in NJ (I don't anymore) and want some Mad Elf (I really do.) I'm a big craft beer drinker, so I know everyplace in my area that has at least some craft beer. I only go to my favorite two places in any given month, but I know where stuff might pop up. If I can't find Mad Elf at my normal shops (which I honestly can't picture, it's always everywhere, but I actually did this with Nugget Nectar more than once) I'll go to the other possible places, and see if they have it. If they do, hey presto, a sale. If they don't, why would I buy some other beer that isn't what I'm looking for? I'm not some deranged alchie looking for any beer I can slam into my gullet, and honestly I have a pretty clear picture of what gets distributed in the state. And, honestly, the odds that you have something that one of my other shops doesn't are pretty slim. So when you don't have what I want, I gently caress off looking for someplace that does.

I mean, this makes as much sense as running a hardware store and not having any of the hot new flat head screws and then being mad that people don't just buy some of the great nails you have.

e:

Midorka posted:

Edit: and yes I'm okay if the thread hates me for what I did.

I honestly don't think you were very popular before that story, either.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

As I said in a previous post that I've had people, before putting my 6 pack behind the register, get near physical over this beer. I'm not going to defend this anymore, so get the name calling out and etc.

And yes I'm very much aware that the majority of posters here aren't fond of me. I'm okay with that as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You guys are ruining the ignore function for me by all this quoting.

On a positive vibe: A reminder that a quality pour of GLBC Edmund Fitzgerald is as close as you can get to porter perfection, IMO. I was at a fairly lovely bar for a friend's show and they had it on draft, and it made everything right with the world.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Midorka posted:

@WaffleStomp: Yes, I'm a dick head for it, but you work in a liquor store for a year and tell me you don't get loving annoyed when there's hundreds of excellent options and the only thing people care about is one loving beer.

So you don't want people talking about the biggest beer release this year and you also are annoyed at people asking for Mad Elf, despite the fact that you tucked away a 6-pack for yourself so clearly you bought into the "hype".

So tell us, what SHOULD we be buying and talking about? Fat Tire? Bud Select?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

The bottle of 3F Millenium I drain-poured because it turns out I don't like sours.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

The beers that his store stocks that he deigns worthy purchases when the hoi polloi stumble before his visage, burdened with them. Anything else riles up his feelings of inadequacy.

I'm legit curious which beer shop he works in, but I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to say.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I got an invite to a Hopslam release party yesterday. It's on January 9.

:getin:

drat Michigan. :arghfist:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Phanatic posted:

The bottle of 3F Millenium I drain-poured because it turns out I don't like sours.

gently caress, beaten! I was gonna talk about the Schaerbeekse Kriek I'd drain pour because I tried drinking it alone without realizing how tart it was.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
People need to stop criticizing midorka's treatment of customers, he majored in business, people, he knows what he's doing.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Majored in business -> works behind a cash register

It wouldn't be because of his personality, would it?

Taking a break from beating this dead horse, I left a thermometer in my cellar cabinet and it reads 56 degrees. Perfect. Currently down there: two '10 Ten Fidys, four '12 BCBS, a 750 of Saison Brett and now the Westys. Can't wait.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thank god he's not working in a brewery.

"Look guys I stack palettes all day I can't tell you how wrong you are about centrifugal filters"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bartolimu posted:

Depending on the state/municipality, a lot of places have regulations on when alcohol can be sold - no booze sales before noon, none on a Sunday, whatever. It varies a lot. So that's part of it, waiting until it's legal to sell the beer. As to letting more than 150 people get into the waiting line, I agree it's kind of a dick move. It makes a degree of business sense, though, since even people who don't get a Westy brick may buy something else to drown their disappointment. I didn't exactly leave Total Wine empty handed when I got in too late to buy any of their Abyss.

I think at least a significant number of people would decide the store were dicks for seeing how many people were in line and not just handing out tickets as people arrived so people didn't have to wait for nothing.

Josh Wow posted:

Midorka yesterday: "God won't you assholes stop talking about Westy 12 (because I didn't get any)"
Midorka today: "Mad Elf? gently caress you got mine!"

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 14, 2012

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hey speaking of hype, I got a little word today that I might, maybe, if I try hard enough, have a chance at finding some Firestone XVI. Finally! That beer has been bugging me because I geek a little too hard over FW beers and they don't have a ton of availability here yet.

On top of that, Terrapin's Wake-n-Bake should be hitting some shelves today, too. I don't know what they hype level is on that beer, but I always want more than I can find. I hope it doesn't turn into A Thing. I really love that beer, I may even just daydream about buying a case for the rest of the afternoon.

And regarding Brown Sugga, I ended up getting some this week at Safeway because it was the same price as DFH 60 minute. My liver is dubious of the purchase, but I don't think I've been listening to it for quite a while now. I don't feel like this year's Brown Sugga will age as well as in the past because of the massive hop presence, but it may have just been the first year I've had it very fresh.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 14, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I Dont Like You posted:

drat Michigan. :arghfist:

Yeah and this year I'm not getting suckered into $7 10oz pours on release day because "there's a shortage this year!!"

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Does anyone have a recommendation on kegerators?

I know that it's relatively easy to build your own, but I'd prefer to get a prefab one. Also, dual tap and sanke would be nice.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mikey Purp posted:

I know that it's relatively easy to build your own, but I'd prefer to get a prefab one. Also, dual tap and sanke would be nice.

I had a beautiful one I had to leave with family when we moved. I could probably work something out to have them send it to you. PM me if you're interested.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Some people make their lawn look immaculate, some might shine up a car, whatever their source of pride is given their means, abilities, and interests.

Midorka holds a six pack behind a counter to taunt customers. Let him be.

In actual beer chat, Sanctification is a knockout of a beer, goddamn I need to get more. Brilliant tart, apples/pears/peaches/apricots on the nose and first hit on the palate, then vanilla/creme brulee after it's been there a second or two, and finishes up fairly clean.

I know it's a bit pricey, and not the easiest thing to come across, but anyone remotely interested in wild ales should allow themselves to splurge for a bottle.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Mikey Purp posted:

While I totally get paying a bit more to get a new, pre-fab'd version, you'd literally be saving in the ballpark of $150-200 if you craigslisted a chest freezer and the taps, and spent $45-60 on a temp controller. Again, not to say "lol don't buy one" but in case you weren't aware of the difference in price I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the savings. Also, expandability of taps and maybe some space to throw some bottles you wouldn't get with a pre-fab model.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mikey Purp posted:

Nostalgia KRS2100 on Amazon. Set up a price watch on camelcamelcamel or something and wait for it to go down to $350ish. It holds 2 cornies easily with room for a third. It comes equipped for commercial (sanke) taps, so you'll need a few connections and hoses. They have a few other models now, looks like, but I didn't read up on them.

I've dealt with/set up this exact fridge twice now. It's super easy, feel free to bug me for more info, apologies in advance if you want a 100% complete list of parts you'll want to buy with it and I leave something out. ;)

The shittiest part of the construction is the twoer and the ridiculous manner in which they think it might be possible to tighten the nut inside the tower going to the faucet. Eventually I'll buy or build something with more than 1 tap, but for now I keep the primary beer on the tap and use cobra taps for anything else. It will also fit a carboy for cold crashing.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I had a beautiful one I had to leave with family when we moved. I could probably work something out to have them send it to you. PM me if you're interested.

Awesome, pm sent.

wattershed posted:

While I totally get paying a bit more to get a new, pre-fab'd version, you'd literally be saving in the ballpark of $150-200 if you craigslisted a chest freezer and the taps, and spent $45-60 on a temp controller. Again, not to say "lol don't buy one" but in case you weren't aware of the difference in price I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the savings. Also, expandability of taps and maybe some space to throw some bottles you wouldn't get with a pre-fab model.

Yea, I'm aware of the potential savings but just not very keen on the space or time necessary to build my own. I live in a smallish Brooklyn apartment and have limited access to tools of any kind, so I just want something I can plug in and start drinking.

ChickenArise posted:

Nostalgia KRS2100 on Amazon. Set up a price watch on camelcamelcamel or something and wait for it to go down to $350ish. It holds 2 cornies easily with room for a third. It comes equipped for commercial (sanke) taps, so you'll need a few connections and hoses. They have a few other models now, looks like, but I didn't read up on them.

Sweet, I'll look into this and let you know if I have any questions.

Also, related question - if I want something I can use for homebrew, then I'm looking for cornelius kegs right??

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This is overly negative, but the glasses that come in the Westy brick are cheap throwaway pieces of crap, IMO. I'm disappointed.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ShaneB posted:

This is overly negative, but the glasses that come in the Westy brick are cheap throwaway pieces of crap, IMO. I'm disappointed.

I mentioned before, but I'm pretty surprised that they didn't just use the normal Westvleteren glasses.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mikey Purp posted:

Also, related question - if I want something I can use for homebrew, then I'm looking for cornelius kegs right??

We should take this to the homebrew thread if that's what your primary use will be, but yes. You want cornelius kegs, either ball lock or pin lock. Personally I like ball lock, but the important thing is that once you get one type, you buy the same type for other kegs as you expand.

Some people refill sanke kegs, but they aren't super easy to source and there just aren't tons of people using them.

With any keggerator there are hose/connector setups that make it pretty easy to swap between commerical and homebrew kegs. I don't really bother anymore, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikey Purp posted:

If you want to do commercial AND homebrew your only real option is sankes. You'll have to keg homebrew in 1/6 barrel sankes in that case.

A commercial kegerator will have to be disassembled and re setup for cornies.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Let's talk beer 3: gently caress MIDORKA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Four packs of Sublimely Self-Righteous are the best idea that Stone's had in a long time.

Especially if it means that they put 15th in bombers year-round in it's place. :getin:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Angry Grimace posted:

If you want to do commercial AND homebrew your only real option is sankes. You'll have to keg homebrew in 1/6 barrel sankes in that case.

A commercial kegerator will have to be disassembled and re setup for cornies.

Or get this sort of thing: http://morebeer.com/view_product/6715/102296/Keg_Quick_Change_Setup__-_Just_inline_QDs_tubing_and_clamps (h/t Docjowles) although I found a better solution was to stop wasting keggerator space on non-homebrew

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Is there any truth to the "best by" dating on beers? When I was a kid that didn't exist, and then someone (Budweiser or Coors, maybe?) made born-on dating a "thing" and it seemed like everyone else followed suit.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Just wondering, since a friend of mine has a kegerator for sale:
If I wanted a keg of something distributed here, but not a local craft brew, (say, FBS)how would I go about that? I know it's available on tap in several places in KC. Do I have to buy from a distributor? Find a really good beer shop (doesn't exist yet in KC. Hopefully by the end of the year), or am I SOL?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Shortbus posted:

Just wondering, since a friend of mine has a kegerator for sale:
If I wanted a keg of something distributed here, but not a local craft brew, (say, FBS)how would I go about that? I know it's available on tap in several places in KC. Do I have to buy from a distributor? Find a really good beer shop (doesn't exist yet in KC. Hopefully by the end of the year), or am I SOL?

You wouldn't be able to do it unless you could find a retailer willing to give you the keg - the distributor can't sell straight to consumers.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

drat it. Our liquor stores suck. My current best beer selection is a grocery store. I doubt they would do kegs.

e: Trying a Mother's Winter Grind coffee stout tonight. It's like a FBS lite. Really drinkable, good coffee flavor, and much lighter on the stomach. AG and FB, I'll send you one to try.

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 15, 2012

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Is there any truth to the "best by" dating on beers? When I was a kid that didn't exist, and then someone (Budweiser or Coors, maybe?) made born-on dating a "thing" and it seemed like everyone else followed suit.

Also, I'm drinking a Great Lakes Christmas Ale. My favorite beer, and it's the first time I've had it in 3 years (they don't sell it in Houston). Heaven.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Captain Shortbus posted:

drat it. Our liquor stores suck. My current best beer selection is a grocery store. I doubt they would do kegs.

e: Trying a Mother's Winter Grind coffee stout tonight. It's like a FBS lite. Really drinkable, good coffee flavor, and much lighter on the stomach. AG and FB, I'll send you one to try.

Most liquor stores should be able to make requests through distributors. It wouldn't hurt to ask and see if they'd be willing to order something for you. I can't speak for a grocery store though. Here's one of my local stores for comparison.

http://www.zippsliquors.com/kegs

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

drat. Now I want a keg of root beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Hops fade fast, so if your prospective beer depends a lot on hop flavour you should definitely pay attention to best by dates.