Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

1. Why can't you warp to the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire? I get that you're ported to the first bonfire when you die regardless, but I thought you could still warp?

2. 3 hours? Did you not try to block or avoid his abilities in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

My prediction for DS2: Mechanically it will be a better game, with improvements to dual weilding, better translation/explaination on stats (Like Poise, stagger for weapons, etc), as well as less misleading translations (Tiny being's ring).

It will, however, be weaker story wise in the terms of the muted story-telling that we've become accustomed to and loved. More lore will be upfront (More talking) to make the game 'more accessible' to players.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Dreggon posted:

1. Why can't you warp to the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire? I get that you're ported to the first bonfire when you die regardless, but I thought you could still warp?

Yes, you can warp to any Anor Londo bonfire while it's dark and not arrive at the first one. So just rest at <location of your choice outside Anor Londo> and warp to Darkmoon Tomb when you die.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

My prediction for DS2: Mechanically it will be a better game, with improvements to dual weilding, better translation/explaination on stats (Like Poise, stagger for weapons, etc), as well as less misleading translations (Tiny being's ring).

It will, however, be weaker story wise in the terms of the muted story-telling that we've become accustomed to and loved. More lore will be upfront (More talking) to make the game 'more accessible' to players.

Yeah, to be honest I'm more concerned about what they're going to do to the storytelling than what they'll do to the mechanics. Miyazaki's whole thing is that he wanted to recreate the experience he had as a child when he read English table-top RPG books and only barely understood the story, so the new director's comments suggest to me that he's going to go in a different direction with that kind of stuff. I really love the way they tell the story in these games and I'll be seriously disappointed if they don't keep that the same, at least.

I guess we might also lose some of the "troll moves" like the archers and having the graveyard right next to the start of the game, too, and that would be a shame.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

so the new director's comments suggest to me that he's going to go in a different direction with that kind of stuff.

This feels like a baseless claim. The guy said one vague phrase about making the game more direct, which could apply to anything. Then the writer of the article speculated that it was about story and equated it to Skyrim (like an idiot). It isn't worth getting concerned about until it's clarified for us. When the guy comes out and says "Oh when I said that I meant the story" then freaking out is a totally viable option, but it just doesn't feel specific enough to be worked up over.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I guess we might also lose some of the "troll moves" like the archers and having the graveyard right next to the start of the game, too, and that would be a shame.

I wouldn't call the graveyard a troll move - it's important for letting the player know they can't go everywhere from the start and that they can get better and beat enemies that were problematic. It also teaches running past enemies and that you don't lose items when you die, and it's absolutely full of goodies that give you a leg up early on.

The archers are, though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
To me the game needed more Anor Londo archer situations. You know, spots that actually forced you to think on what you should do.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
Honestly, I don't care if we have a clearly defined main character with a love interest, a partnership with someone, etc. As long as you still allow me the freedom of (true) roleplaying and as long as you still have a subtle presentation about your story-telling, it will still kick rear end in story aspects.

A complaint I often find in this trailer by Dark Souls fans is that this song sounds generic and not very much Dark Souls. I have no idea what they're talking about, this sounds more Dark Souls to me than any of the tracks that were in Dark Souls 1.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

The only love interest I've had in these games are The Maiden in Black and Solaire.

The former kept you alive and was your bonfire; the second was gloriously incandescent :allears:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

For some reason, that post made me wonder if glowing eyes show through helmets. I'll have to test that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KaneTW posted:

Yes, you can warp to any Anor Londo bonfire while it's dark and not arrive at the first one. So just rest at <location of your choice outside Anor Londo> and warp to Darkmoon Tomb when you die.

You still arrive at the first one when you die, regardless of where you last rested.

Seriously, just don't kill Gwynevere first, and you'll respawn at the Darkmoon Tomb.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Pretty sure that's not the case if you rest outside Anor Londo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KaneTW posted:

Pretty sure that's not the case if you rest outside Anor Londo.

It is, I tried it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bleh, loving stray demon ruined my no death run. I always do him after capra demon since he isn't very hard, just takes loving forever. Well I got impatient and hosed up an attack. I was immediately slammed and then killed by his dumb magic explosion. And I was doing so well! :(

Pike is a super fun weapon though. The running attack isn't very damaging but its funny to just skewer people with it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 14, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It is, I tried it.

Huh, weird. I know that when I was pvping in Dark Anor Londo and dying I rezzed at the Parish bonfire where I last rested. Weird.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

A complaint I often find in this trailer by Dark Souls fans is that this song sounds generic and not very much Dark Souls. I have no idea what they're talking about, this sounds more Dark Souls to me than any of the tracks that were in Dark Souls 1.

Really? I'm not a big fan of the music in Dark Souls though there were a few wonderful pieces in there (Gwyn's theme, Ashlake), but the trailer song is a very dull and uninspiring to me, and I hope it's not indicative of what the rest of the soundtrack is going to be like. I'd like for them to use more ambient tracks in DS2, as going through the areas hearing only your footsteps and maybe some Hollows moaning got old pretty fast. I felt the PTD content was a bit better about this, though, so maybe they were already heading in that direction.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Hmm. That's unusual. The music in Dark Souls is usually touted as being amongst the best in video games. At least amongst the most powerful.

I wouldn't bet on the trailer music being highly indicative of the music in Dark Souls II, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV5r4ePww8

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Was that a Chained Prisoner in the Undead Burg?

Wish they'd left that in. :allears:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

The only love interest I've had in these games are The Maiden in Black and Solaire.

The former kept you alive and was your bonfire; the second was gloriously incandescent :allears:

Solaire does joke about you having feelings for him if you talk to him more than once in Anor Londo

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Has anyone got the link to that video that was posted in one of the Dark Souls threads a while ago that basically consisted of those golden sunlight warrior guys doing the channeler dance? I think the title was in japanese so it's hard to search for.

e: Cheers!

Tgent fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 14, 2012

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Tgent posted:

Has anyone got the link to that video that was posted in one of the Dark Souls threads a while ago that basically consisted of those golden sunlight warrior guys doing the channeler dance? I think the title was in japanese so it's hard to search for.
Shame on you for not bookmarking Yatta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iPvmAclM0

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Tallgeese posted:

For some reason, that post made me wonder if glowing eyes show through helmets. I'll have to test that.

Wait how do you get glowing eyes? My undead soldier gimmick guy needs glowing eyes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only good part of that video is the guy exploding out of the barrel into a channeler dance.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Namco Bandai posted a proper version of the trailer (i.e. not a stream rip from the VGAs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV8mbFxZHO4

Still kinda bummed it's not going to be Dead Souls.

e: Just saw this on Reddit. All I could think of was Gravelord Nito.

http://us.gizmodo.com/5908188/unbelievable-assassin-bug-wears-its-victims-corpses-as-armor

fennesz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 14, 2012

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So I'm level 47 and I just arrived at Anor Londo.

I'm doing well enough but I've noticed that I've almost entirely neglected all magic/spells/whatever.

I guess I have one or two pyromancy spells that I'm able to cast and another basic heal that I can't seem to pull off casting even though I should be able to?

Where would be some good spots to pickup spells and expand my attack/healing options?

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 14, 2012

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So I'm level 47 and I just arrived at Anor Londo.

I'm doing well enough but I've noticed that I've almost entirely neglected all magic/spells/whatever.

I guess I have one or two pyromancy spells that I'm able to cast and another basic heal that I can't seem to pull off casting even though I should be able to?

Where would be some good spots to pickup spells and expand my attack/healing options?

Spoilery as gently caress post ahead, but you asked so here you go.

Petrus sells the best talisman to have if your faith is low. Assuming you have 14 faith, the reason why you can't cast the heal spell is you need to be wielding the proper spell-casting weapon in order to use spells. In the case of miracles, that's a talisman. He sells a few more miracles at inflated prices, but homeward is really the only other one of note.

If Rhea has come and gone from firelink already, you can rescue her from the Tomb of the Giants and she has bunches of miracles for you to buy at good prices. Just make sure you visit her regularly until you've bought everything you want/need from her.

You'll also find Patches down in the Tomb. Make sure you tell him you're not a cleric, and later on he'll also show up in firelink with some miracles to sell.

Laurentias has basic pyromancy spells for sale. He'll also let you upgrade your pyro-fist, which is how you make pyromancy spells stronger. Note that pyromancy is not linked to any stat, which is part of what makes it so awesome/terrible. The servant of the Daughter of Chaos (accessed through a hidden wall after you beat Quelaag)has a couple of interesting pyromances available IF you let yourself get infected with one of those bug things and get an egg to grow on your head. He can also upgrade your pyro-fist

After you upgrade your pyro-fist to +10 or so, a new pyromancer will show up in the blighttown swamp area. She's by one of the columns that's near to quelaag's entrance. She can ascend your pyro-fist and has a bunch of cool pyromancies for sale. Also make sure you talk to her regularly and don't kill the boss of lost Izalith until she asks you to.

As a final word, you don't really need magic to get through, but power within (a pyromancy) can make chumps out of some bosses if you're melee heavy.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I think a love interest could actually work in a game like this. You're a Knight of some kind, the chick in black is your significant other/princess you're supposed to save/etc and the whole motivation this time is trying to save her from whatever doomed fate she's supposed to meet by seeking out Demon/Dark Souls.

Of course, this being Dark Souls, that won't amount to poo poo :v:

Provided she's treated as your motivation and not as some lovey-dovey person, it'd be pretty neat. From could definitely pull it off, they already did something near to it with 5-3 in D'SS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CJacobs posted:

So, that person that said they were in the trailer and were cast as the "love interest" on their Reddit Ask Me Anything whatsit. Does that mean the game itself is going to have a love interest for the protagonist or were they exaggerating? Because I really, really don't see that happening given that your character is supposed to be just you and not a specified body. Like, I'm not going to call bullshit because the person proved they were, y'know, the person in the trailer... but... love interest? Can that really be a thing?

EDIT: I didn't read the reddit thing but according to talk, they didn't provide any for that part of the post. So I just don't even know what is going on.

She says she was a reference model, which I just think means they based the look on her and maybe did some mo-cap. So I'd say it's likely she hasn't seen a full script or even necessarily did any of the voice work, so who knows how much of the story she's seen. I wouldn't be surprised if the character is sympathetic to the hero, and she interpreted that as "love interest."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Fry8Zep5s

Indiana Jones PvP is amazing. I kind of want to go do a Robin Hood in Catbro land now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

:sigh:

Getting a random stomach cramp made me pay the price. I'm also Cursed now and I have no idea how to remove it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

You'll need a special item called a Purging Stone. The Female Undead Merchant sells them and is right nearby, but she charges twice as much as Oswald of Carim. If souls are at a premium for you, it might be worthwhile to hoof it back up to the bell tower for his deal.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

TalonDemonKing posted:

As a professional translator myself, I can attest that the final quality of a translation depends heavily on the amount of context and reference material provided by the client. I actively avoid video game work, but pretty much any software/UI job
is going to land you with a text dump in an Excel file with no documentation, so it involves a lot of guesswork. It doesn't help that the contact person for the translation job itself almost certainly has no involvement with the actual development work and won't be able to answer questions. Even a very talented translator is going to have inaccuracies or awkward transitions if they can't get context and meaningful feedback from the client. From's translations are usually pretty good considering the size of the development house.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm willing to cut From a lot of slack in that regard, because they're a small foreign studio turning out offbeat games. BioWare, on the other hand, is a big-deal English-speaking studio, and the documentation in their games is even worse.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I think a love interest could actually work in a game like this. You're a Knight of some kind, the chick in black is your significant other/princess you're supposed to save/etc and the whole motivation this time is trying to save her from whatever doomed fate she's supposed to meet by seeking out Demon/Dark Souls.

Of course, this being Dark Souls, that won't amount to poo poo :v:

Provided she's treated as your motivation and not as some lovey-dovey person, it'd be pretty neat. From could definitely pull it off, they already did something near to it with 5-3 in D'SS

I really don't think that she'll be the player's love interest. Looking back at DeS and DaS, the knights from their cutscenes represent actual characters (Ostrava and Oscar) not the player's character. I think its far more likely that if there is a sort of love story, it will play out around the player rather than directly involve them.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm gonna assume that the only correct way to deal with those silver knight archers in Anor Londo is to stand far away and snipe them with poison arrows. Because that's what I did, and those three minutes of waiting was well worth it. :clint:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah you did it right, if you're a goddamn wuss :colbert:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

ulvir posted:

I'm gonna assume that the only correct way to deal with those silver knight archers in Anor Londo is to stand far away and snipe them with poison arrows. Because that's what I did, and those three minutes of waiting was well worth it. :clint:

They're actually surprisingly easy to rush down and melee, once you get over your PTSD from being savaged by them the first 50 times you played through that part.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Iretep posted:

To me the game needed more Anor Londo archer situations. You know, spots that actually forced you to think on what you should do.

The archers were hardly an example of forcing you to think about what to do; the solution is pretty obvious in that there's only really one, and whether you succeed is mostly dependent on when the knight on the right chooses to pull out his sword.

If we're looking for tactics, the Archives are my go-to example. There are archers everywhere, and if you stay out in the open too long or take too long to kill an enemy - god forbid you pull multiple - they're either going to relocate and attack you or you're going to find out that some threat you neglected will come up and punish you for it. It felt like how Lost Izalith/the Centipede Demon fight should have, in that you have limited space to fight and have to make your way from safe zone to safe zone without drawing too much attention to yourself or being caught in the Death Zone.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just took down the archers earlier today on my new sorcerer character. I loaded up in full Black Iron and took them down in melee combat. Nevermind that I lost 35k souls in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So I'm also at the point in Andor Londo where you have to sprint up a buttress while being fired at by two powerful archers.

...and I have no ranged weapons or spells.

What is my best and fastest option to acquire something that can take them down?
Is there any alternative way of dealing with this area?

• Locked thread