Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So I'm also at the point in Andor Londo where you have to sprint up a buttress while being fired at by two powerful archers.

...and I have no ranged weapons or spells.

What is my best and fastest option to acquire something that can take them down?
Is there any alternative way of dealing with this area?

You swallow your fear and run right up! There's a Hero's Soul behind the guy on the left, progress is to the right. Once you reach one of them in melee engagement range, he'll stop shooting and the other one's line of fire to you will be blocked. The hard bit is running on that tiny little ledge and surviving the 1-2 dragon arrows to the back before you make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
All you really need a decent stability shield. Just run up to the tower midway to break line of sight, and the knights will stop shooting. Once they do, you can sprint up to the ledge where the one on the right is standing and move into melee range while the one on the left can't shoot at you. As long as your shield has decent stability, you can block the arrows well enough to get in close, causing the knight to switch to his sword, and if you keep your back to the wall, more often than not he'll end up falling off the ledge. Once he does, you can go after the one on the left and grad the item he's guarding. Cloranthy Ring helps a lot to keep your Stamina up in between shots so your guard doesn't break, but that's really only necessary if you've been neglecting Endurance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Get light encumbrance, preferably some sort of stamina regeneration. Your armor doesn't matter, because if you get hit odds are you'll be dead anyway.Wait for their shots to land, sprint. That should get you to the split branch. Edge to the right, wait for an arrow to land, run like hell the rest of the way. Once you're on the window ledge you can either keep sprinting or try to roll under the shots. Basically at that point you just need to read the knight's movements. As long as you're constantly sprinting not directly at the knights, they should miss you.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Get out of Anor Londo and join a PVP covenant you probably haven't met yet (hint: it involves cats). Kill 2 other humans through invasions and receive an item that will allow you to sneak up on the archers.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Just dash up the buttress, they won't hit you if you keep moving. When you see an arrow hit, you can stop sprinting for a while to regen stamina, but keep moving forward. When you reach the ledge, just roll dodge the arrows (should be easy enough) and close in on the archer. When you're in melee range, he should pull out his sword and you can block/parry him to death. You probably don't want to lock on to him, though, and be careful with your attacks: bouncing a blow off the wall can easily send you plunging into your doom.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What are the chances of me running into summon signs for Sif and Four Kings at level 16? I'd like to be a Darkwraith pretty early if I can, and I feel like I might need help beating those bosses.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Yeah I was able to trial and error the thing a bunch of times before I made him slip off the edge. Was able to hang on to and acquire a bunch of souls while doing it, too. I guess I learned to always have some kind of ranged option on-hand.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What are the chances of me running into summon signs for Sif and Four Kings at level 16? I'd like to be a Darkwraith pretty early if I can, and I feel like I might need help beating those bosses.

I can hop on and give you hand sometime, whats your gfwl or steam name?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Yeah I was able to trial and error the thing a bunch of times before I made him slip off the edge. Was able to hang on to and acquire a bunch of souls while doing it, too. I guess I learned to always have some kind of ranged option on-hand.

Ranged attacking is not the best way to tackle that section. While it's smart to have ranged attack methods on you in some manner, in this instance it's not really the smart way to handle it. The best way to handle it is to non-stop sprint up the buttress and attack the guy on the right first. It's relatively easy to do it this way and I've yet to actually die on that specific part. Just never let go of the B button until you're face to face with the rightmost archer, and they actually can't possibly hit you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Every once in a while someone at a low SL will throw down a sign. Not to worry, though. You'll honestly be fine if you get a +5 pyromancy glove. With Crown of Dusk and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring you're pretty much going to be doing as much or more damage than anyone who isn't a sorcerer in NG, so you can disintegrate both of those bosses. Sif is especially easy to just throw fire orbs at.

You can also kill both bosses using only pyromancy, you don't even have to swing your weapon.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It seems like ranged attacks in general are hindered by the short lock-on range, especially since dumb-firing sorcery or thrown weapons like knives is almost certain to miss, pyromancy and firebombs have short effective ranges, and bows are sufficiently awkward to use that they're only useful when you've set a trap or can guarantee that the enemy won't be able to reach you for at least a few seconds. When there's a large enemy clearly visible with nothing obstructing your line of sight that you want to get the drop on, it can be really frustrating to know that you basically can't aim manually and are going to have to get much closer than you'd like.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What's the best way to kill big enemies that I can't parry/backstab as a Dex/Int character? I'm using ricard's rapier and for bosses I just use magic weapon or resin, but I'm getting into the mid/late game sections and there are some enemies that I simply don't do any damage to. My rapier could be better upgraded, but even if I did twice the damage I'm doing it would still take a while to kill anything that I can't backstab. Am I missing something or is this just kinda how it goes and I should just ignore the larger enemies?

Also, does that ring that buff spell duration work on weapon buffs? I'm running around with the Hornet ring but switch to the Dragoncrest ring for boss fights so I can kite them and do some damage with my spells before going in. Does that sound like a decent idea, or is there a better/more effective way to go about things?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

VDay posted:

What's the best way to kill big enemies that I can't parry/backstab as a Dex/Int character? I'm using ricard's rapier and for bosses I just use magic weapon or resin, but I'm getting into the mid/late game sections and there are some enemies that I simply don't do any damage to. My rapier could be better upgraded, but even if I did twice the damage I'm doing it would still take a while to kill anything that I can't backstab. Am I missing something or is this just kinda how it goes and I should just ignore the larger enemies?

Also, does that ring that buff spell duration work on weapon buffs? I'm running around with the Hornet ring but switch to the Dragoncrest ring for boss fights so I can kite them and do some damage with my spells before going in. Does that sound like a decent idea, or is there a better/more effective way to go about things?

Pyromancy/Sorcery is your best bet. Throw on a bellowing dragoncrest ring and a dusk crown and shoot soul lasers or throw fireballs at stuff you can't backstab. Weapon buff durations cannot be increased with the lingering dragoncrest ring.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
For a dex character I would really think about investing in an upgraded Great Scythe. Its one of the heaviest hitting dex weapons and makes those more durable enemies a breeze. Another option could be to get an uchi or something with bleed on it, which is effective against a number of tougher enemies. The lingering dragoncrest ring does work with the sorcery weapon buffs, just not the miracles.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

For a dex character I would really think about investing in an upgraded Great Scythe. Its one of the heaviest hitting dex weapons and makes those more durable enemies a breeze. Another option could be to get an uchi or something with bleed on it, which is effective against a number of tougher enemies. The lingering dragoncrest ring does work with the sorcery weapon buffs, just not the miracles.

Maybe not an Uchi, but the Iaito served me well for a long time. The quelaag fury sword is also a great option but requires a scimitar +10. But i agree, Great Scythe may be a better long term option.

Is there anyone who has had success as a dark moon that could give me some invasion hints? The blue orb has a 0% success rate for me and I'm not being summoned even with the ring on.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

ulvir posted:

I'm gonna assume that the only correct way to deal with those silver knight archers in Anor Londo is to stand far away and snipe them with poison arrows. Because that's what I did, and those three minutes of waiting was well worth it. :clint:

You run the hell up that ramp, completely ignoring the archer to the left because he's useless and as soon as you bank right at the top, you execute a roll because that archer to the right just let loose an arrow at you, this will put you in melee range as the arrow sails over your awesome roll, then you loving kick his sorry rear end off the platform, or hit him with some sort of weapon. This is the 'you should know how to roll' check in Dark Souls, it was for me.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Great Scythe is best weapon.

Edit: I will never get over how rad it is to be a guy with a Great Scythe. Great Scythe. It's got great in the name.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bats posted:

You run the hell up that ramp, completely ignoring the archer to the left because he's useless and as soon as you bank right at the top, you execute a roll because that archer to the right just let loose an arrow at you, this will put you in melee range as the arrow sails over your awesome roll, then you loving kick his sorry rear end off the platform, or hit him with some sort of weapon. This is the 'you should know how to roll' check in Dark Souls, it was for me.

I find that the archer on the right doesn't ever hit me once I'm at the top as long as I continue the sprint. I'm not entirely sure why, he just always misses me. In order to roll, you have to stop sprinting, so I suspect the reason people have to roll is because they're no longer sprinting. As long as you are, though, you shouldn't even have to do that.

Honestly, as soon as I saw the archers and saw the situation I was in, I didn't even consider any other alternative than doing the full-on sprint. It just seems to make the most sense to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
NG+ is almost starting to scare me and I haven't got to Anor londo yet. I have to hit things more than once to kill them!!

Also Pinwheel nuked me after I killed him. Whatever, fucker, I got the right of kindling, and next I'm going to wipe the 4kings out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I have no idea what this is but it is amazing as hell and I want more.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I have no idea what this is but it is amazing as hell and I want more.

USE THESE BUTTONS TO NOT DIE

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
So, uh, I accidentally found Manus and I beat him on the first try. Greatshield of Artorias seems to trivialize everything in that area. Wasn't I supposed to fight that dragon on the bridge at some point? How do I get to him?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So if I have this right, this is the order I should do everything to power up a prepare for Sif and Four Kings. I tried fighting Sif once, I got his health down pretty far but I ran out of magic. So I'm thinking I'll pick up more magic plus get the pyromancy hand, then I should have little trouble.

-Beat Havel
-Beat the Hydra
-Beat the golden crystal golem
-Get the Crown of Dusk (and the catalyst she sells,I hear it's good?)
-Get to lower undead burg, free Griggs for the sorcery he sells and the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
-Beat Capra Demon, go to the depths and free Laurentius
-Buy/upgrade the pyromancy hand and spells for it

Maybe I should wait for Havel and the Hydra until I get the dragoncrest ring and pyromancy?

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

GeckoMissingo posted:

So, uh, I accidentally found Manus and I beat him on the first try. Greatshield of Artorias seems to trivialize everything in that area. Wasn't I supposed to fight that dragon on the bridge at some point? How do I get to him?

There is a slope across from Chester next to a lootable body and one of the elevator towers that goes down into a valley filled with wild dogs. Just follow it to its end and you'll end up in the dragon's area.

Throckwoddle fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 15, 2012

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

So if I have this right, this is the order I should do everything to power up a prepare for Sif and Four Kings. I tried fighting Sif once, I got his health down pretty far but I ran out of magic. So I'm thinking I'll pick up more magic plus get the pyromancy hand, then I should have little trouble.

-Beat Havel
-Beat the Hydra
-Beat the golden crystal golem
-Get the Crown of Dusk (and the catalyst she sells,I hear it's good?)
-Get to lower undead burg, free Griggs for the sorcery he sells and the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
-Beat Capra Demon, go to the depths and free Laurentius
-Buy/upgrade the pyromancy hand and spells for it

Maybe I should wait for Havel and the Hydra until I get the dragoncrest ring and pyromancy?

Queelag is easier than Sif. You can do that first and get some good Blight Town loot besides.

You can also semi-cheese Sif if you move to the rocks on the side of the arena. She'll glitch out and start attacking the air above you, giving you opportunities to hit her safely.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm having a bit of a problem with Solaire in Lost Izalith. I opened up the shortcut and killed 9 bugs before going into LI, but then died like a chump to the Titanite Demon before returning. Now when I come back to the passageway, I can only find 8 bugs and no sign of Solaire, hollowed or otherwise. Have I not triggered something, completely missed out on him, or what?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You saved him! Good job! Now summon him for the final boss and help him finally find his sun by lighting himself on fire.

EDIT: If you open the shortcut and kill the bugs you've done what you need to do to save Solaire. The sunlight maggot doesn't respawn but the other 8 do.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
IIRC the 9th bug doesn't respawn. If you've done everything correctly he should now be in the Demon Ruins being all depressed. You should be able to summon him for the final boss fight now.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Specifically you'll see him at the first Izalith bonfire, and then you'll find him sitting down in the bug tunnel. Can't talk to him in the tunnel, but he's not hostile.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

You can talk to him. He's very sad. :smith:

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I turned on the game today and wasn't automatically placed into my Live account, I tried the Home button & the LIVE button on the start menu, but it's not working.
What do I do to fix GFWLs poo poo

Fixed: had to uninstall gfwl & then verify the cache with steam.

Seizon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 15, 2012

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The easy way to beat Sif is to get underneath and blast away with Great Combustion.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
:v: Man, this Lost Izalith sure has been a cakewalk! I haven't even seen any sign of that invader that came a few minutes ago. Hey! A crystal lizard! I'm already sprinting, I bet I still have enough time to

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

(I did beat the invader (not Kirk, a dickwraith) pretty handily, but the floor collapsing and seeing all those Cth'ulu guys down in the pit sure was a thing.)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

Queelag is easier than Sif. You can do that first and get some good Blight Town loot besides.

You can also semi-cheese Sif if you move to the rocks on the side of the arena. She'll glitch out and start attacking the air above you, giving you opportunities to hit her safely.

I already sneaked into Blighttown and got the crimson set and the Tin Banishment Catalyst. Is there anything else down there particulary useful for an early game sorcerer?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I already sneaked into Blighttown and got the crimson set and the Tin Banishment Catalyst. Is there anything else down there particulary useful for an early game sorcerer?

Power within is one of the best pyromancies in the game if you are planning on using it. That's the only really good treasure I can think of in upper blight town.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Power within is one of the best pyromancies in the game if you are planning on using it. That's the only really good treasure I can think of in upper blight town.
The Eagle shield's pretty good, especially for its weight, I believe.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I can't talk for the heavy deflection bit, but you're hard pressed to find 75% lightning protection anywhere else at that point. I don't like it that much because it only blocks 95% of physical.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

scamtank posted:

I can't talk for the heavy deflection bit, but you're hard pressed to find 75% lightning protection anywhere else at that point. I don't like it that much because it only blocks 95% of physical.

I used it to defeat Artorias. If Artorias' damage was barely appreciable through 95% block, not much else is worth worrying about.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
My offering for those of you in this thread who like to play dress-up. This is my 50 INT chatacter, going for a rugged warrior-mage look.

A little hard to see in this picture, but I've got the crystaline gloves on as well. Puts some crystals on my spellcastin' hand.

Edit: whoops, tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

scamtank posted:

Honestly if the difference between 95% and 100% block is causing you gameplay difficulty you're not playing Dark Souls right.

• Locked thread