Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That insane amount of nose on a dog that isn't a sight hound just kills me. :3:

Also, there can never be too many Goliath updates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

That's not a nose, that's THE PROBE. Anyways, here's some ACTION SHOTS!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Crappy phone pics, but evidently my dog can fly.

Wife wanted some time to work solo with the other guy so I've been bringing her to work. She's content to stare out the window, which faces a bus stop so she gets to see all kinds. Really doesn't get along with the other office dog, though.

The winter rains have started so I don't think we'll get many more shots like this for the next 6 months. While she's looking pretty content in this photo she's really just eyeballing the bully's much more interesting stick.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
She's noble as all get out. Is her name "The Dutchess"? :allears:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Hah. Her previous family had named her Rosie. They had a toddler, maybe she named her or something. We thought that was somewhat uninspired and restyled her "RosaLita Ford." When we brought her home she was blonder and sang more, with had a certain bitchy attitude.

She answers to both, as well as Bumble. I have never seen a clumsier dog.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Question about Goliath:

When we first brought him home, he seemed to enjoy going for walks, and we would get in two or more hours total a day between morning and night. He never used to pull on the leash. This has completely changed. He refuses to go on walks now, and when we do, it's miserable.

The weather is colder (between 10 and 30 Fahrenheit) and we have tried all kinds of interventions like feeding him before versus after, bribing with jerky treats, dragging him to the parks to run (which he used to love but won't do any more), doing it right when he wakes up versus a little later in the day... he still refuses to walk.

What happens is, I will put on his harness and leash, we will go outside and he will pee in the yard, and then he starts to pull towards the door. Being a Malamute, and me being 5'6" and 115 pounds, this isn't a good combo. I will say "come on" and he will bounce towards me, but then plant his feet in the ground and not move.

I have been forcing walks around the block which means he pulls so hard that I can barely control him, sometimes he is pulling to the point where his front legs come off the ground and I am nearly squatting to pull against him, and today he pulled so hard I nearly face planted and have a very sore back.

It makes no difference if it's me or my boyfriend walking him, but 3/4 of the time it ends up being me.

Why is he doing this? Is he too cold? I do brush him on a regular basis, is this something I should stop? He seems perfectly content just lying around at home, but he has to go on walks to not turn into a lard ball.

What do I do PI? We used to have a great time going on walks but lately it's become an awful experience.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Are you sure his joints aren't bothering him now that the temp is dropping?

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, that's what I would check on. Because generally they are pretty active dogs, but just like old men significant weather change can make their joints hurt if they have joint issues. Talk to the vet and then try a mild painkiller and see if that works.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
That's definitely a possibility. The last vet check up a couple weeks ago, he had his joints checked and the vet said he actually has pretty decent range of motion in his shoulders and hips, the only thing that seems to be mildly arthritic is the lower area of his spine. Since then I have started him on glucosamine supplements.

I can give the vet a call about it, though. Do pain meds usually seem to work? The problem is that it gets much, much colder here as winter progresses, like -20 and -30 F at times. For the sake of his comfort, should we not try walking at all in that kind of cold? Is there anything I could try to get him moving inside the house?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

You know, if he doesn't seem to want to go, and he's not getting antsy in the house, I don't see anything wrong with letting him laze about like an old man. :shobon: But you want to make sure he's still being stimulated and it really IS that he's in pain, and not just being stubborn. You'll know from the vet and maybe trying pain meds, though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Koivunen posted:

I can give the vet a call about it, though. Do pain meds usually seem to work? The problem is that it gets much, much colder here as winter progresses, like -20 and -30 F at times. For the sake of his comfort, should we not try walking at all in that kind of cold? Is there anything I could try to get him moving inside the house?

Just an anecdote, but I'm not that old (32), and I have a bad back from a hockey accident. Temperature swings outside hurt like a bitch - aka seasonal changes, weather systems, etc. Once its ~at~ the temp, its fine. If he's just got some old-man joints, some painkillers may be all he needs, and only when the temp/weather shifts wildly.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

He isn't too cold; he's a Mal. Yes his joints nay be bothering him. My gal is going through some if that at 7.

But purely anecdotal nonsense:
When we brought my gal home she was here for a week of "getting to know the place" etc. Then there was the surgery and 6 weeks of being laid-up. Another few weeks after that and she decided to start testing bounds. My wife would take her for a walk and after 20 mins she'd lay down and pretend she forgot how to walk.

My neighbor texted me a photo of my wife and the dog sitting on the curb, in 8 inches of snow, until she out-stubborned the dog. One time it took 10 minutes. Literally 10 minutes of nothing; just two wills.

Your dog may just be comfortable with you now and finding boundaries. Best of luck!

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 7, 2012

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rebounded posted:

He isn't too cold; he's a Mal.

He absolutely can be cold! He's a mal that's used to living inside, and the wether only just took a down swing. Buddy is an rear end when it first gets cold, especially the first few times it drops below 10F, because he was used to summer and is a gigantic baby. It's like anything else, they have to work up to being used to it. They aren't magically immune to the cold just because they're Nordic breeds.

Funny story of the opposite problem, I was watching the Ididarod a few years back, and the weather was in the 20-30s. They kept talking about how this one musher was having problems because he lived really far north, so his dogs were used to really freezing temperatures and they were all too hot to run as fast as they normally would. It all depends what they're used to.

quote:

Your dog may just be comfortable with you now and finding boundaries. Best of luck!

This could still absolutely be true. :rolleyes: If I LET Buddy be a huge baby, he would spend all winter cooped up inside. Only takes about a week for him to get used to it, so we just trudge ahead, and I don't make a big deal about, or give in to, him being a sissy. I just wanted them to make sure his joints were all ok before going that route. I don't force it in single digits, though, because that CAN be too cold for his paws.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Mals can be great stubborn brats about things. But given his age and I remembered you saying something about arthritis it might just be the temperature shift is making him sore. I had a mal that got snotty about the big cold weather shifts from fall to winter when he got older. We gave him ibuprofen for about a week and kept insisting on walks. Once the weather stabilized so did he.

i see what you did
Feb 19, 2007
funny, because it's true
I guess I'll post this here since I don't know if it needs it's own thread...

I've got my Husky/GSD mutt rescue and he's awesome in every conceivable way. Only thing is he gets SUPER loud growling and barking at other dogs when he's on leash. I socialized him really well with tons of different people and dogs of different sizes and breeds but when he was a puppy someone stole him out of my yard and either used him for fighting or shacked him up with some aggressive dogs.

After a long (sketchy) story I got him back and his ear was ripped halfway off, he was skinny as poo poo and covered in oil/paint/wtf. He was gone about two weeks and when I took him to the vet to get checked out when I got him back he went apeshit on the first dog he saw. He's never bit a person or a dog and he lives with a ~10lb yappy rat with no problems. If he meets a dog off leash he's awesome with them forever, just gets super anxious when he sees a dog he doesn't know.

Once he sees them he fixates and I can't get his drat attention with a bag of chicken.

Any ideas on how I can at least get him to not care? I don't particularly care if he wants to meet and snuggle every dog - just want him to not terrify their owners.

I know he won't hurt anyone but they don't :3:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

i see what you did posted:

I've got my Husky/GSD mutt rescue and he's awesome in every conceivable way. Only thing is he gets SUPER loud growling and barking at other dogs when he's on leash. I socialized him really well with tons of different people and dogs of different sizes and breeds but when he was a puppy someone stole him out of my yard and either used him for fighting or shacked him up with some aggressive dogs.

After a long (sketchy) story I got him back and his ear was ripped halfway off, he was skinny as poo poo and covered in oil/paint/wtf. He was gone about two weeks and when I took him to the vet to get checked out when I got him back he went apeshit on the first dog he saw. He's never bit a person or a dog and he lives with a ~10lb yappy rat with no problems. If he meets a dog off leash he's awesome with them forever, just gets super anxious when he sees a dog he doesn't know.

Once he sees them he fixates and I can't get his drat attention with a bag of chicken.

Any ideas on how I can at least get him to not care? I don't particularly care if he wants to meet and snuggle every dog - just want him to not terrify their owners.

That's a really sad story but I'm glad you got your dog back.

I'm interested in similar behavior. Husky doesn't seem to want to socialize with other dogs. Off-leash at a dog park she just spends her time checking the perimeter and ignoring anything else that comes near her. On leash she starts bucking and groaning/talking. At a dog park I've seen her let little dogs and big dogs nip and jump all over her and she just ignores them. On a leash she strains to get to any dog she sees. The bully mix is almost completely the opposite (super chill with dogs, barks at men).

She's getting better about responding to verbal cues and a treat for breaking the fixation, but we're at 3 years with her now. Over the last year especially she has become much more food-motivated.

^^^and my post above was missing some sarcasm tag. My two dogs have an extremely narrow temperature comfort window. Maybe +/- 10 degrees F to whatever the thermostat is set. And they fight over the electric throw.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This is the kind of issue that a professional could easily help you with. It might be tough finding exactly what works for your dog, but it's definitely something that you can improve drastically or completely fix. A professional will help you identify thresholds and come up with exercises specifically for you and your dog's skill level.

Check out the dog training megathread. We talk a lot about reactivity and controlling our dogs in distracting situations. My initial impression is that if he's completely fixated on another dog you're waaaay too close. Do things like cross the street or make a u-turn when you see a dog. Your dog is anxious about strange dogs coming up to him when he has no option to flee due to the leash, so you need to be proactive and increase distance for him.

Pick up and read Focus, Not Fear or Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown, and maybe Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt. BAT by Grisha Stewart might be good for you too.

And again, go see a professional who specializes in dog reactivity and who utilizes rewards (not punishment) to treat it.

e: I meant BAT, not CAT. CAT is inappropriate in this situation.

a life less fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 8, 2012

i see what you did
Feb 19, 2007
funny, because it's true

Great! Thanks for the advice. I already try to keep him as far from other dogs as possible along with the u-turns and crossing the road. I've gone through two trainers here but both of them insist on only using prong collars and physical discipline - after a month of that he started to growl whenever the collar tightened so I've moved him on my own to NILF and positive reinforcement only.

I'll check out those books, and if anyone knows a good trainer in the Richmond, VA area who doesn't wanna "beat my dog nice" then I'd love to hear about them!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'll check out those books, and if anyone knows a good trainer in the Richmond, VA area who doesn't wanna "beat my dog nice" then I'd love to hear about them!

This guy looks pretty good. He interned with Pat Miller so I doubt he's going to slap a prong on your dog and call it a day. Good job seeing that punishment wasn't working! I hear too many people decide that if collar corrections aren't working they just aren't doing them hard enough.

A good trainer and some more knowledge (Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt and Behavior Adjustment Training by Grisha Stewart helped me a ton) can really make a huge difference with problems like yours. This time last year my dog couldn't be in the same room as a fake dog without screaming frantically and trying to get it, now he can handle dogs bumrushing him on hikes. It just takes time, hard work, and some guidance.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

rebounded posted:

I'm wondering if this might not be more the case (does that make sense? English is hard).

Yesterday, after I had posted my last reply, we drove him to the park to walk. He resisted going from the porch to the car, but once he saw that we were going for a ride he was wagging his tail and hopped right in. When we got to the park, he had a blast. There was a huge leaf pile and he spent a solid twenty minutes jumping around in it and digging and rolling. Adorable. I wish I had my camera. He also dug in the sand pile and trotted all around in the woods with his tail curled and wagging. When we tried to take him out that night, it was the same stubborn routine, a struggle to get halfway around the block.

I worked overnight and this morning around 8am I took him in the car to the park again, and it seemed like he had fun again in the leaf pile. This time I did take my camera. The video I took is super shaky and is hard to watch without getting motion sick, so I won't post it, but I took some pretty nice pictures.

We will continue to assess the situation and I will still give the vet a call, but even in this short span of time, I'm wondering if he's just not trying to exercise his independence with us.

Anyway, pictures... (I just got Photoshop Essentials two days ago and have no idea what I'm doing with editing, so lots of these are way too over-saturated and dumb.)

Can you see me? (He's leashed, I just edited it out.)

Taking it all in. Wow.

Super saturation leaves.

So humble.

Shoulder deep in leaves.

This one is unedited, but look at dat tail :3:

Also unedited, SO SPEED.

The only disadvantage to using an extend-o leash in a wooded area... tree tangles.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What a lovely fuzzy monster he is. :3:

i see what you did
Feb 19, 2007
funny, because it's true
Thanks for the link, Instant Jellyfish. And the hope that one day I can bring my dog around cute girls with dogs :x

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Oh my god...

I wrapped up most of my presents and put them by our fireplace. The unwrapped presents (which included birch bark chocolate squares) went in a plastic bag next to the wrapped ones. They have been there for a week with no incident.

Tonight I left for four hours, and when I got home at 4am, there were two empty bags of chocolate squares, wrappers all over the place, and a previously wrapped book with the paper ripped off and the cover ripped in half. Goliath! :doh:

I called the e-vet in a panic, and she told me that since there was only a small amount of milk chocolate in the actual square, he would most likely be fine. He will probably have some diarrhea from eating all the white chocolate, and we might see some wrappers in his poop (currently ten are unaccounted for), but the worst thing will probably be diarrhea.

That dog. He ate about twelve ounces of chocolate total, and less than half of that was milk chocolate. He is 70 lbs. I'm a bit concerned about the wrappers that I know he ate, but hopefully they will pass with no issue.

So much for going to sleep tonight, I will be staying up on diarrhea patrol and letting him outside frequently. I hope this passes quickly. :ohdearsass:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh god do I have a similar story. Couple years ago we found these awesome pumpkin pie flavored hershey kisses. All white chocolate with pumpkin flavor. Well, I made the mistake of leaving the bag on the end table, and apparently Buddy couldn't resist himself.

I came home from work, went to grab one, and realized it was gone. I thought my husband had moved them, so I checked the kitchen, but nothing. Bunch of time passes, and a light bulb goes on. I look behind the couch, and there is the bag, completely ripped open and obviously licked clean, and not a single kiss to be found. We're guessing Buddy waited for us to leave, probably waited a bit to make sure we weren't coming back, then STILL hid behind the couch worried that we might find him. :3: I should mention, they'd been there all weekend without incident, so Buddy had to have known to wait until we were both at work.

We weren't worried because white chocolate is harmless (no real chocolate in it) but my husband said Buddy had a bunch of flags in his poop and on his butt when he walked him the next day. :laugh:

Dogs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've got a similar story too. Not a primitive breed though. We were looking after a relative's dog, a Bearded Collie. Well, he did the old snaffling the chocolates from under the tree thing, wiped clean apart from the ones he didn't like. The dark chocolate ones I think. Same dog also snaffled up a load of sausages from the oven once, luckily they'd cooled down by then. And he got into a bag of treats once. He was a greedy old thing. :3:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I've never posted pictures of penny in here. After posting a picture of her in the grooming thread someone said to post some here so I'm using that as an excuse to do a photo dump. (plus I need to figure out how to post pictures correctly anyway) She just turned 2 and is a Siberian Husky/Chow mix.

How did this little furball?

Turn into this wonderful monster?

Yes she was involved in my broken arm.

Lock up your puppies they are not safe!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Wow, she is gorgeous! How is her behavior? Can I ask the story behind the broken arm?

More Goliath post flooding. I am seriously in love with this dog.

Over Christmas we had to travel out of town for a gathering, and we brought the dog with since it was just an overnight trip. He was such a good boy. He stayed calm, he didn't try to eat off anyone's plate, and he basically stayed by my side the entire time (minus when he had to stay in the basement at my boyfriend's uncle's house, but he did a good job there too).

The leash pulling issue hasn't really resolved. I've tried doing the thing where when he pulls, you stop walking with a "stop" command, and you don't start walking again until he isn't pulling. However, the second you start walking again, he is pulling, so it doesn't give much of a chance to reward good walking with a treat. He doesn't do this when we put him in the car and drive him somewhere to walk, but when we walk around the neighborhood, it's pull pull pull all the time. I mean, there are worse things to worry about than pulling, but it doesn't make walk time very fun when you're trying not to fall on your rear end on the ice while he's pulling. It also doesn't help (but it's kind of funny) when you slip, he gets excited at the sudden movement, so he'll pull even harder and you slip even more... Oh that dog. I've found that holding the looped end in my left hand, then wrapping the leash around my wrist once with the right hand and holding it across my body seems to give more control. When he starts to pull I bring the leash in close so he won't knock me over.

In regards to the last post, he ended up vomiting out most of the chocolate, so diarrhea didn't become an issue. However, his next two poops had a bunch of wrappers in it. We've been extra cautious with things that are within dog reach now.

I put up another video. This is when I was looking at dog videos on Youtube, he came over and was very interested. He was doing those super adorable head tilts and I wanted to get it on camera, and he scared the poo poo out of me when he decided to tell me what he thought of the video, which he does twice. The cat doesn't care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhqWyI1e-rQ

Aaand, more pictures.

Bone from the butcher shop from Grandma. (Don't call me grandma! It's a dog!)

Goliath in front of a second hand Christmas tree.

Wiped out after a long couple of days.

So wiped that he can't keep from nodding off.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Have you tried a harness? That might give you more control over him and a bit more stability. But mals man, they pull. It is a Malamute Thing.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Citizen Rat posted:

Have you tried a harness? That might give you more control over him and a bit more stability. But mals man, they pull. It is a Malamute Thing.

We have a harness that he steps into and then it buckles on his back, you can kind of see it in the Christmas tree picture and a few pictures that were posted earlier. It's the weirdest thing how he will be fine when he understands that we are traveling somewhere to hike versus when we are just walking around the neighborhood. He does this thing in the yard when he doesn't want to go for a walk where he will jump a few times and plant himself in the ground, like really stomp all four legs into the ground, and look at you with a mischievous face, pretty much saying "If we go on this walk, you're not going to enjoy it."

I've never owned a dog before, and when people commented on pictures or videos with "Oh look at his face, he's happy!" or "That look means he's testing you." I thought people were nuts. To me, dogs looked the same all the time and certainly didn't have facial expressions. Now that I actually own a dog, it's totally clear that dogs are extremely expressive, both with their face and with body language. I honestly never thought I would want a dog until I met Goliath. My boyfriend says I'm too morbid for saying this, but I don't think I will want another dog after he's gone. He's too perfect.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Koivunen posted:

We have a harness that he steps into and then it buckles on his back, you can kind of see it in the Christmas tree picture and a few pictures that were posted earlier.

If the harness clips to the leash on the back, it won't help with pulling at all. You could try a front-clip harness or a head halter, but honestly, sometimes you gotta just work through those frustrating moments when you don't get to walk more than five feet because he pulls every time you move forward. Consistency will win out in the end.

A couple other things you can try: instead of just stopping when Goliath hits the end of the leash, turn around and walk the other way. Try to click and treat when he is in heel position when he turns around to come with you.

I would also work on exercises where Goliath learns to give into pressure. Dogs pull because they have a strong opposition reflex, they feel the pressure of the leash and push against it. A funny exercise to test this is to just have your dog stand in front of you and push gently against his chest. He will probably give in the first time out of surprise, maybe even the second time, but the third time he will probably push back. I did this exercise with my dog and it was pretty funny to see her throw all 25 lbs against me to try and hold me back. Goliath might have an easier time of it. :D

Anyway, you can teach them to give into pressure by rewarding them for doing so. One exercise from one of Brenda Aloff's books (Get Connected) called Follow the Feel. You place your dog standing sideways in front of you and stick two fingers behind his collar and apply a tiny bit of steady pressure backward toward his tail. You are not pulling him backward, you are just applying a bit of pressure. Then you wait for him to shift his weight or take a step back (or really to do anything other than pull forward the first few times). If he does, reward!!! If not, you can add incentive by placing your fingertip against his chest and adding a little pressure there. Then work on it over and over until you putting a bit of pressure on his collar makes him step back.

Since my dog wears a back-clip harness on walks, I worked up to practicing this on walks. Usually just me slowing down or stopping will gets her to stop pulling, but if she continues putting pressure on the leash (I am careful to not vary the leash length so that I am not inadvertently the one putting the pressure on...try putting your thumb in your pocket if you keep forgetting not to let your arm fly out every which way) I lean backward every so slightly and wait for her to take pressure off the leash. Then I reward and we get to continue the walk.

I love his head tilt in the video. My dog does that when I ask her questions sometimes, which is the cutest thing. :3:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Penny likes to pull so sometimes when I don't have time to walk her I would let her pull me on the skateboard. She was super excited one night and we were on our normal loop and she was pulling faster than I could push so I was just holding on. We made it a few blocks away and she was slowing down some. We turned a corner and she saw the straight away ahead of her and decided it was time to take off again. I felt the fall coming on so I jumped and rolled. My hand got tangled in the leash and instead of rolling I fell all my weight onto my extended right hand. Both bones popped out of the skin. First time that'd happened to me.

I rang a neighbors bell repeatedly at 10 PM til he came out to help me catch penny and walk us both home so my wife could take me to the emergency room for surgery.

Sometimes she's nice and tired though and does silly things like nodding off with her head still up.

Or lying on her back in her crate.

A lot of the time though she's a monster who only wants things to go her way :)

A harness that clips in the back means she can pull extra hard. That does have it's uses but mostly we use a front clip harness for walks. She still pulls but she can't get as much of her weight behind it. I make her work for her dinner in the house by practicing heeling sometimes. I will take her out on her flat collar and do the, when she pulls turn around, game and never make it past my driveway if she's calm. When she's excited she doesn't even understand what we're doing though. She's 2 now and is much better than she was but still pulls a lot. I'm fine with it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Really the key is out-stubborning the dog and doing it frequently enough that the reward (going forward) just never happens until there's slack in the leash. When she pulled I just turned around and went the other direction. So while I spent hours of my life doing what amounts to short circles on the sidewalk, it was worth it to be able to put my hands in my pockets on a cold day.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 30, 2012

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Warbadger posted:

Really the key is out-stubborning the dog and doing it frequently enough that the reward (going forward) just never happens until there's slack in the leash. When she pulled I just turned around and went the other direction. So while I spent hours of my life doing what amounts to short circles on the sidewalk, it was worth it to be able to put my hands in my pockets on a cold day.

Too true. I once spent a week taking no more than ten steps at a time before asking my dog for a behavior (sit, down, u-turn) on walks. We would go up and down this little stretch of road for an hour and then go home. It was super annoying, but she is more attentive and less pully on walks after that one week than the previous 1.5 years of training (during which I often resorted to front-clip harnesses and head halters -- though more for reactivity problems than pulling). I should have done it for two weeks, but we were both getting too little exercise and I got lazy, my personal bane as a dog trainer (not to mention all the other things I do).

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

After adopting Brodie (5 year old akita) I immediately worked with his poor leash skills. To my surprise, it took him a week to figure it out after intense stop-if-pulling exercises.

Sniffing at bushes and pooping on any tall vertical structure is the best reward to him so it worked out. Of course, my other non-primitive "smarter" dogson needs to be in OMG WORK HARDMODE on walks so his loose-leash is lovely if he isn't going to be working for a ball. Primitive breeds rule, they enjoy the simpler pleasures. :3

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Hrafn is an absolute dream to walk alone and will just plod alongside you, but the moment I walk him with my folks dog (who is a pulling machine in spite of a canny collar) he will instantly get all excited and start straining. :sigh: Looks like I need to work on the manners of my parents' dog while I'm here.

Raf has the wimpiest bark ever when he's playing, it's actually embarrassing. He has however started hiding behind this bush during play which is just :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX4tYRjV520

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

It's been snowing on and off though not nearly as much as Storm Draco or whatever they called that thing. (Lightening and snow at the same time. poo poo is just not right.)Sitka has been So. Happy. Like, you have no idea how happy this dog has been.

There has been snow:

We babysat her bestest friend in the universe for four whole days:

There have been guests:

(I was trying to dremel her nails and she hid behind Mer to avoid it. Little brat)

All in all holidays have been rather trying for a puppy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Hrafn + Sitka pics = best consecutive posts :3: I've been taking some pictures of Eris and Kaidan again since I had a bunch of time off for the holiday, I'll post them soon.

On Tuesday I'm taking Kaidan back in to the specialist we saw about 2 years ago so I can't start planning out his hip replacement since it seems to be the right time to do it. It's been bothering him much more lately, and despite his age he still thinks he's a damned puppy so he's going to be around for a while to enjoy the new hips I think :) I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the surgery done by the specialist though, as the last one we went to quoted us about 10k all said and done which is a biiiit more than I'd like to spend right now. Thankfully I got some other good recommendations from someone on the forums so I'll probably take him to 2-3 places before I decide.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Nori's first snow, from last week:

And his 6 week old doppelganger-

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

TVs Ian posted:

And his 6 week old doppelganger-

Nori's ears are so perfectly awesome :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus. Does he get sonar with those ears?

• Locked thread