Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Ixiggle posted:

Marvel is a team game this distinction is worthless.

But we're not rating shells; we're rating Top 5 individual characters.
Part of what makes an individual character good is the ability to make comebacks on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Shiki Dan posted:

Part of what makes an individual character good is the ability to make comebacks on their own.

Who needs good when WE GOT X-FACTOR BABY!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results :morning:

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/psmgoons27
First Place: Acute Hepatitis Iron Man/Sentinel/Strider Doctor Doom
Second Place:Jmcrofts Haggar/Arthur/Sentinel
Third Place: Troffen Doctor Doom/Vergil/Frank West

Clearly Sentinel is still top three as the results show. Clearly

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
Tabs won by default. Fereydun came in second and young got third

Next Week Thursday December 20th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/edKzkah7qa

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 14, 2012

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jmcrofts posted:

How many teams did we see Sentinel on in vanilla.....

Are you trying to say Sentinel is bad? If not then never mind.

If you are then seriously that poo poo needs to stop. Infrit got 2nd place at EVO and tons of his wins were clutch comebacks with Sentinel. IIRC DiosX and Knives also have excellent Sentinels and make comebacks with him all the time.

Is he top tier? Not at all. Is the "Wackbot" name deserved? Not at all.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Minorities posted:

If you are then seriously that poo poo needs to stop. Infrit got 2nd place at EVO and tons of his wins were clutch comebacks with Sentinel. IIRC DiosX and Knives also have excellent Sentinels and make comebacks with him all the time.

I think they just meant that "is seen in a lot of good teams" does not necessarily equate to "top tier" - Sent has one of the best assist for mobile rushdown characters and has just enough going in xfc lvl 3 to make those comebacks, but no one is going to place him in any top 5 overall characters list.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Sentinel's not bad but he's not top 3 which was the context of the discussion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every time I see Moons play I want to bump Taskmaster up a couple places, and he's already pretty good to begin with. I haven't seen anyone put in the amount of work with that character that Moons does though, I guess ~*~character love~*~ is truly something special.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Minorities posted:

I'd somewhat agree. Sentinel on paper is not that good, which is why people put him down so much. But he has so many things that can win games and is extremely good at loving people up for making mistakes. Hard Drive means he always as a chance at a comeback by avoiding inc mixups, people love to run into his massive (armored!) limbs, has a command grab he can do good damage off of, and when he lands a hit he's more than capable of killing a character. People like to underestimate sent and they get hosed up for it. Anyone that plays smart should be able to destroy Sent but every time I've seen it go "man sent sucks I'm going in *gets hit by raw S and dies*"

The better the players the worse Sent gets but even the best people will run into armor.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Countblanc posted:

Every time I see Moons play I want to bump Taskmaster up a couple places, and he's already pretty good to begin with. I haven't seen anyone put in the amount of work with that character that Moons does though, I guess ~*~character love~*~ is truly something special.

Bump him up. Task is undoubtedly one of the best characters in the game. Better than Viper, that's for sure. He's a monster. I'm surprised more people don't play him.

Edit:

Agoat posted:

Viewtiful Joe is absolute best, hands down.

Don't know if you're being facetious, but I almost kind of agree. He's definitely up there. (And better than Viper too!)

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 14, 2012

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Viewtiful Joe is absolute best, hands down.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Bump him up. Task is undoubtedly one of the best characters in the game. Better than Viper, that's for sure. He's a monster. I'm surprised more people don't play him.
No he's not. (as a point character, anyways. his support is better by far because of the versatility of his dhcs and arrow assists)

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the ability to completely control the ground game with little risk nor does he have a defensive option that is completely invincible, safe, impossible to react to and comboable into death off of. Nor does he have three variations of Bionic Arm that are all comboable off of.

Also Moons is the best Taskmaster player by far, but he doesn't utilize the full potential of the character either. There's much cheaper stuff out there, and the way his team is built means that Taskmaster doesn't get to take advantage of a lot of it.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Fereydun posted:

Also Moons is the best Taskmaster player by far, but he doesn't utilize the full potential of the character either. There's much cheaper stuff out there, and the way his team is built means that Taskmaster doesn't get to take advantage of a lot of it.

Tell me the cheap stuff, all of it. So I can mess it up and blame you for me losing.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Fereydun posted:

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the ability to completely control the ground game with little risk nor does he have a defensive option that is completely invincible, safe, impossible to react to and comboable into death off of. Nor does he have three variations of Bionic Arm that are all comboable off of.

Well, to throw you're argument back at you, if you don't think Taskmaster is one of the best characters in the game, then you haven't played a good, competent Task. And I just don't agree with any of this, especially the "ability to completely control the ground game with little risk," by which I think you're implying Viper can, which is just wrong. She can't zone for poo poo, unlike just about every other top tier character. (And I say this as a Vanilla day one Viper player, who's stuck with her since, and wouldn't have been nearly as interested in this game if not for her inclusion and awesome play style. BTW, if you want to hit buttons, learn Viper.)

And to comment on your point about MarlinPie, K Beast, etc. those guys are all great, top tier players. But they consistently lose to straight up better teams. And especially in the case of Marlin, when he wins against good players, it's usually his Doom/Ammy doing most of the work.

Viper's awesome, but she's just not on par with the other, truly top tier dudes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It's mostly utility stuff, since Taskmaster's game is based around being solid.
The big one is guaranteed-ish (they're xfcable, but that's wasting their x-factor so still a bonus) unblockable setups in the corner, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=884dIbeNHxw
He's got a setup with Ammy slowdown, but there's actually a way to just do it with Task/Nova by THCing the incoming character and then XFing into an unblockable. It's fantastic for characters who don't have invincible supers (Magneto, Vergil, most characters without 3 bars).

Or comboing off all his throws (except midscreen backthrows- superjump front throw is tight but possible) into death combos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wXn1vR8F4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlKMOBqbso (check out how baby this combo is for the damage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4AskjUhub0 (ignore the combo, just showing that comboing is possible)

I didn't make a video of it, but Taskmaster has instant overhead fuzzy guards setups that I don't see anybody take advantage of- his j.m is an instant overhead on most standing characters, and jumping in with j.hs will force fuzzy guard on folks.

He's also got a safejump equivalent with j.H on incoming characters, where if they do anything they get hit. If they don't press anything he crosses/doesn't cross them up and instantly lands so you're free to do whatever you want (or your assist will hit them). It's kinda difficult to space/time but it's really effective when you do get it down.

There's more stuff I'm probably forgetting but those are the key things coming from his team composition that he can't utilize.

Also, I haven't seen him combo in XF2/3 from Taskmaster's throws yet, which is always possible though a little tricky to do.

edit:
What the heck is rapid seismos into laser canceled (!) into rapid seismos backed by Strider assist if not "effective zoning"? It's not exactly like they have recovery when done properly...

Fun fact, her dumb beam has more durability than Zero's buster and all 3 of Taskmaster's arrows. Thank god it's duckable, a charge move and somewhat slow to start up. It's mostly the rapid seismos that make me disagree with that because seriously ughhhhh

She's got a definite weakness against air approaches but at the same time I feel there's no reason whatsoever to not pair her with Strider because he really completes her arsenal as a character.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 14, 2012

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Well, to throw you're argument back at you, if you don't think Taskmaster is one of the best characters in the game, then you haven't played a good, competent Task. And I just don't agree with any of this, especially the "ability to completely control the ground game with little risk," by which I think you're implying Viper can, which is just wrong. She can't zone for poo poo, unlike just about every other top tier character. (And I say this as a Vanilla day one Viper player, who's stuck with her since, and wouldn't have been nearly as interested in this game if not for her inclusion and awesome play style. BTW, if you want to hit buttons, learn Viper.)

And to comment on your point about MarlinPie, K Beast, etc. those guys are all great, top tier players. But they consistently lose to straight up better teams. And especially in the case of Marlin, when he wins against good players, it's usually his Doom/Ammy doing most of the work.

Viper's awesome, but she's just not on par with the other, truly top tier dudes.

Viper can't zone? Her beam and seismo are two of the best projectiles in the game.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Fereydun posted:

Fun fact, her dumb beam has more durability than Zero's buster and all 3 of Taskmaster's arrows. Thank god it's duckable, a charge move and somewhat slow to start up. It's mostly the rapid seismos that make me disagree with that because seriously ughhhhh

She's got a definite weakness against air approaches but at the same time I feel there's no reason whatsoever to not pair her with Strider because he really completes her arsenal as a character.

But that's exactly why her beam sucks. I can't just whip it out like Plasma Beam, or EM Disrupter. Also, comparing Viper's beam to Zero's buster is a bad comparison. Buster is way more versatile, and can be used in the air.

And if we're talking about characters as part of a team, what can Viper do against something like Trish or even Storm backed up by missiles? Just about nothing (hope for an air grab?).

I agree that Strider is probably her best assist tho.

GoodCleanFun posted:

Viper can't zone? Her beam and seismo are two of the best projectiles in the game.

She can zone, just not very well. Rapid Seismos are good, but what can she do from full screen?

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 14, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Fereydun posted:

cool stuff

Aww man I was hoping you had some secret stuff that you hadn't already posted on SRK thank though. I need to stop slacking and working on my throw conversions.

Also lol at Viper's beam durability. How does it stack up against plasma beam?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sorry Ybrik! I'm not really the type to keep ~secret tech~ since I don't travel that often.I post all my stuff whenever I feel like it or if I feel it's something that's a breakthrough just to see Task players start using him to his potential.

Honestly if Trish or Storm call missiles Doom should die because neither of them have a really fast way of punishing Viper rapid seismoing him a lot on reaction.

I feel like her worst matchup is probably Zero by a long shot since he actually does have a fast answer and also doesn't have to rely on assists or put himself in the range of EX Seismo to do his bullshit.

The thing with Viper's zoning is that it doesn't have to be a fullscreen thing like you're saying- it does have to be spaced, just like all other zoning options but because of how advantageous it is for her to be in that space it's pretty much completely fine for her to be doing that.

However I do think she gets absolutely poo poo on by Morrigan, so in the terms of tournament encounter tiering she might actually have a huge disadvantage because if you're a top player you're guaranteed to be running into her at some point eventually.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 15, 2012

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I remember there were some Morrigan players in this thread, so figured I'd post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIOHbQM28gM

Some interesting Morrigan mobility things I've never seen before.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
On the topic of best in the game I think Morri is up their, non-TAC infinite(yes situational start), shadow blade>fly, fireballs and clone fireballs.

Brosnan posted:

Uh, how many teams do you see Viper on? She's a very good point character with a team behind her and that's about it, and it's not because only Marlinpie has execution good enough to use her or some such nonsense.

Now how many teams do you see Doom on? :allears:

Marlinpie does nothing difficult with viper you can't pick up on your own in less then a week...look at him play in match she has stupidly hard high level poo poo I almost never see him do feint loops, seismo FADC, he has her mixups down solid and knows her neutral really well but I almost never see him do anything technically difficult with viper unless it's make it or break it. I understand that's part of your point but I really want to dispell the myth that Marliepie is an execution god for playing her, the Doom stuff he does is honestly way harder.

But that's exactly why her beam sucks. I can't just whip it out like Plasma Beam, or EM Disrupter. Also, comparing Viper's beam to Zero's buster is a bad comparison. Buster is way more versatile, and can be used in the air.

And if we're talking about characters as part of a team, what can Viper do against something like Trish or even Storm backed up by missiles? Just about nothing (hope for an air grab?).

I agree that Strider is probably her best assist tho.

She can zone, just not very well. Rapid Seismos are good, but what can she do from full screen?

Seismo FADC Seismo, super jump+feint>down dash is pretty drat solid way to move, EX TK(with an assist to make it not horribly unsafe), super jump H burn kick is more effective then it should be.

Viper air throws are nothing to scoff at either I get 830k-860k off my easy mode combo anywhere on screen combo for less than a bar.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 15, 2012

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

On the topic of best in the game I think Morri is up their, non-TAC infinite(yes situational start), shadow blade>fly, fireballs and clone fireballs.

Marlinpie does nothing difficult with viper you can't pick up on your own in less then a week...look at him play in match she has stupidly hard high level poo poo I almost never see him do feint loops, seismo FADC, he has her mixups down solid and knows her neutral really well but I almost never see him do anything technically difficult with viper unless it's make it or break it. I understand that's part of your point but I really want to dispell the myth that Marliepie is an execution god for playing her, the Doom stuff he does is honestly way harder.

Seismo FADC Seismo, super jump+feint>down dash is pretty drat solid way to move, EX TK(with an assist to make it not horribly unsafe), super jump H burn kick is more effective then it should be.

Viper air throws are nothing to scoff at either I get 830k-860k off my easy mode combo anywhere on screen combo for less than a bar.
This.

Viper has tools for every situation. Marlinpie seems to have a one-track mind, rush down, and he does that very well. But viper is one of the few characters in this game that can both zone and rush down extremely well. Her transition between the two is seamless much like zero/mags/dante.

I'd like to see him add dante to his team. Jam session is easily a top 5 assist and he is one of the best chars to fight morridoom. I think if he played more patient (more beam/seismo spam with jam session coverage) and dropped the doom/ammy duo, he would have a lot more success against the flood.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

GoodCleanFun posted:

This.

Viper has tools for every situation. Marlinpie seems to have a one-track mind, rush down, and he does that very well. But viper is one of the few characters in this game that can both zone and rush down extremely well. Her transition between the two is seamless much like zero/mags/dante.

I'd like to see him add dante to his team. Jam session is easily a top 5 assist and he is one of the best chars to fight morridoom. I think if he played more patient (more beam/seismo spam with jam session coverage) and dropped the doom/ammy duo, he would have a lot more success against the flood.

Viper is still mostly about rushdown this stuff just gives you an answer to full screen zoning. Gotta disagree with Dante though I think Ammy is better for that team for one Ammy is a wayyy better anchor then Doom, and the two of them are are easily BFFs. Two Viper has a ton of synergy with cold star. Plus as someone with experience with that team the main problem with Jam session is when it hits it prorates you so hard immediately that you have to do a on the fly feint loop for max damage that will be at best the same damage as a throw combo but way harder. It is better for incoming character X unblockable however.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Can't Viper confirm from a Seismo at 90% screen distance and murder people?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dias posted:

If you have the execution for it? Wouldn't that involve canceling the seismo and then viper balling across the screen to continue?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Dias posted:

Sorta if they arn't cornered you have to Seismo FADC Seismo super jump H flame kick > loop the full combo looks like this

623H>9+L+S6+M+H323H>29214H land M>236H~S, 28j.H,9dj.MMHS(>214L~SH delay S)x3, land S j.MMH j.MHS land ender.

~ in this case means very slight delay but almost immedaiatly

623H>9+L+S6+M+H323H>29214H is of course the bullshit input part, if they are cornered you can just do easy mode 623H6239H then continue from there.

edit: Depending on distance and just in general unless they are cornered do EX flame kick instead of heavy that's what I actually do in match...H flame kick is too inconsistant except in the corner.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 15, 2012

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Viper is still mostly about rushdown this stuff just gives you an answer to full screen zoning. Gotta disagree with Dante though I think Ammy is better for that team for one Ammy is a wayyy better anchor then Doom, and the two of them are are easily BFFs. Two Viper has a ton of synergy with cold star. Plus as someone with experience with that team the main problem with Jam session is when it hits it prorates you so hard immediately that you have to do a on the fly feint loop for max damage that will be at best the same damage as a throw combo but way harder. It is better for incoming character X unblockable however.

With jam session backing her up, viper is insanely hard to get in on. Her zoning is more than an after thought.

Ammy, much like dante, is a great all around character. Neither of them have any glaringly bad match-ups, both have top tier assists, and both can put in a lot of work in xf.

I agree viper has a lot of synergy with cold star, but I'd argue much more so with jam session. Both lockdown for a long time allowing for unblockables, but cold star requires somewhat of a setup and is basically useless for viper's zoning. The most important difference is jam session is an AA assist and arguably the best one. I'd argue any viper team without one has room for improvement.

Hit confirming off jam session is difficult, yes, but there are people who do it quite consistently, kbeast for example.

In regards to doom, leave him second for easy TAC kills from viper and rock anchor dante. Anybody in this game becomes dangerous with jam session. Doom could play a much better zoning game with it and if the need arises one has the option to DHC into DT. Dante with doom beam isn't something to take lightly.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Two Japanese players (Kusoro and Nemo) going at it in a FT10 with French commentary for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhYh4JtN6I

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

tonight :manning:

Thursday December 20th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/edKzkah7qa

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

I haven't played mvc3 in months on ps3. I'll try and give it a twirl tonight.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah Correnth if you still lurk the thread i had a new idea for the banner.

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST

Gonna give this a shot!

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Woo I'm home on a Thursday night! Gonna tourn so hard

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I believe in Wesker

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Aaaaagh motherfuck, I've got work problems to take care of and I'm still not done.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results:xie:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons28
First Place: Acute Hepatitus Iron Man/Sentinel/Strider/Magneto/Haggar/Doctor Doom/Thor/Doctor Strange
Second Place Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Third Place: Pkmn84 Firebrand/Super/Skrull/Arthur

Always the bridesmaid...Well actually always the best man I'm 2/2 on that. Allegedly it was recorded, no promises. I'm not too sure about next week with it being 2 days after Christmas but we'll see how it goes.

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
This week it was a resounding victory for Boobs is Fun, Fooblat, and TS.

Wozbo posted:

Aaaaagh motherfuck, I've got work problems to take care of and I'm still not done.

Next week then, maybe, idk.

Next week maybeThursday December 27th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/QhYxgR7cjU

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Ybrik posted:

Oh yeah Correnth if you still lurk the thread i had a new idea for the banner.

I'm around-ish but life's been a cluster the last few months; toss me a PM or something and if I can snag a few spare hours I'll see what I can do. Hopefully after things settle down a little bit I can actually start *playing* again.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Correnth posted:

I'm around-ish but life's been a cluster the last few months; toss me a PM or something and if I can snag a few spare hours I'll see what I can do. Hopefully after things settle down a little bit I can actually start *playing* again.

I have no PM's The jist of it is ...No Alliteration Thursday! I know, I know genius.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight:ohdearsass:

Thursday December 27th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/QhYxgR7cjU

AlI want for Christmas is an OCV

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Signed up. You're already dead :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I wish the vita version could directly connect to the ps3 version with no middleman. Can't make it :(

• Locked thread