Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

macky2dope posted:

Hey guys! I'm always looking at animals on craigslist because I'm a masochist, and today I spotted these cute little babies--the ad claims that they are german shepherd/lab mix, buuut uhm, I've never seen a GSD or lab with the blue merle markings/blue eyes.

Am I the only one thinking that these pups are part aussie/cattledog.. ? I know it's hard to tell with puppies, but I figure if anyone would be able to tell, it'd be PI.

Merle is dominant so one of the pups' parents had to be merle. Neither labs or shepherds come in merle at all so there has to be something else in there. I could believe aussie. Cattledogs don't come in merle and their white spots aren't ticked so no ACD most likely.

A picture of mom would be helpful but they didn't provide one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Merle is dominant so one of the pups' parents had to be merle. Neither labs or shepherds come in merle at all so there has to be something else in there. I could believe aussie. Cattledogs don't come in merle and their white spots aren't ticked so no ACD most likely.

A picture of mom would be helpful but they didn't provide one.

Yeah, ACD didn't seem very likely to me either.. I sent them an email asking for pics of one or both of the parents, so we'll see what comes of that.

In the meantime, another shot in the dark--maybe Catahoula Leopard Dog? I wouldn't think they'd be very common, but I've noticed an inordinate number of them on the local CL postings lately.

(it's a slow saturday night in my town.. haha)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The pups look like they have medium/long coats and I think Catahoulas generally have short coats? Longer fur is recessive so both parents would need to have long fur. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

The pups look like they have medium/long coats and I think Catahoulas generally have short coats? Longer fur is recessive so both parents would need to have long fur. :)

Actually they'd both need to carry it, neither would have to actually be long haired. ;)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Guess that's what I get for posting tired. :)

fr0punk
Mar 23, 2004

nerd.

This is Harvey. We adopted him last Sunday and it just said Terrier Mix. He surely has the wiry coat and beard of a terrier, but the colors of maybe a rot? He is 4 and a half months old and really calm.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

fr0punk posted:

This is Harvey. We adopted him last Sunday and it just said Terrier Mix. He surely has the wiry coat and beard of a terrier, but the colors of maybe a rot? He is 4 and a half months old and really calm.

100% sure there's no Rott in there. That coloration is normally just called black & tan, and you can see it in loads of different breeds, including terriers. Here's a page with lots of them on it: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Black-and-tan_dogs

The generic "terrier mix" is probably a safe description of him.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

Can you post a pic of Harvey standing up? If he's got stubby little legs, he and my stubmutt are brothers from a different mother.

Will post pic after work of the likely wirehaired dachshund/yorkie, because Texans love their designer dogs so much that they dump them at shelters when they turn out to be too yappy.

joyfulgirl129 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 31, 2012

fr0punk
Mar 23, 2004

nerd.

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Can you post a pic of Harvey standing up? If he's got stubby little legs, he and my stubmutt are brothers from a different mother.

Will post pic after work of the likely wirehaired dachshund/yorkie, because Texans love their designer dogs so much that they dump them at shelters when they turn out to be too yappy.

I'll try and snag one soon, he is kind of hard to catch still while standing. He is about 20lbs now at 4 and a half months and seems like he has room to grow a little more. His legs aren't too stubby but his torso is kind of long but not exactly like a dachshund. Lucky for us, he isn't a yapper at all. Just quiet and calm outside of crazy puppy play time.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
What would you guys guess this dog is?

pic 1
pic 2

Everyone was guessing things like greyhound/shepherd mix. His owner just got the Wisdom Panel blood test results back.

Apparently that dog right there is the product of a Staffordshire bull terrier mix and a Dogue de Bordeaux/Bedlington terrier mix. :psyduck:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If his coloring weren't so unusual I would be tempted to say purebred greyhound. The ears aren't quite right either, though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I should be getting Shadow's results in a couple of weeks. Watch, he's gonna turn out to be some sort of poodle/Newfie mix or some ridiculous crap.

msyronfire
Oct 9, 2012
This is Bowie.

I adopted him from a rescue last weekend. His mother was a corgi mix, and his father was an Australian shepherd. Bowie, so far, has been amazing, and really given me something to look forward to each day.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

msyronfire posted:

This is Bowie.

I adopted him from a rescue last weekend. His mother was a corgi mix, and his father was an Australian shepherd. Bowie, so far, has been amazing, and really given me something to look forward to each day.

Bowie is an awesome name for that dog. Are his eyes two different colors?

msyronfire
Oct 9, 2012

Tiny Faye posted:

Bowie is an awesome name for that dog. Are his eyes two different colors?

Thank you! Yeah, one is blue and the other is brown. We were listening to Hunky Dory on the ride back and it just seemed fitting.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

David Bowie's eyes are the same color, one just looks darker because the pupil is permanently dilated :words:

That puppy is adorable, and is going to destroy your entire life in the best possible way :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow's DNA results are in! There are three main breeds in his makeup, two are obvious, one I didn't expect.

LOL corgi

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Haha, congrats on your corgi/havanese/chinese crested mix! The main breeds aren't super weird or impossible though. I know at least in my city rotties and gsds are really popular and not usually owned by the most responsible people.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh yeah, I wasn't as shocked by the Rottweiler as I would have been, say, Dandie Dinmont Terrier. He's just so sleek and non-Rottie. CLEARLY THAT IS THE CHINESE CRESTED IN HIM~

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Does this dog (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24726945) look like a pure GSD to anyone? He's grey.. maybe mixed with a schnauzer or wolfhound? That face though...

I'm so happy he's got an adoption pending though! It just showed up this last time I loaded the page, and I load it every few days. His listing was killing me: chronic skin condition, adoption fee only $8!

Eight. loving. bucks. Probably the saddest thing I've ever heard. He looks like the best dog and I'm so happy he's got a home :3:

flyable
Feb 22, 2010
Any thoughts on what Starbuck might be mixed with? The Sharpei is evident. I had thought pit bull, but this weekend at the dog park I got to see her next to a purebred pit and a purebred sharpei and she was much smaller than either of them. She's about 35 lbs.

for size comparison, this is her next to our 63lb lab mix

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I wouldn't discount shar-pei/pit cross. 35 lbs is on the smaller side for a female sharpei but wouldn't be that rare, and pits are sort of all over the place...

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I've seen a few puppies come into the shelter listed as shar pei/english bulldog puppies, that really just looked like smallish shar peis. They came in from puppy mills, so it was likely they had an idea of their breeding. I didn't see them grow up, though.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

lionskull posted:

Does this dog (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24726945) look like a pure GSD to anyone? He's grey.. maybe mixed with a schnauzer or wolfhound? That face though...

I'm so happy he's got an adoption pending though! It just showed up this last time I loaded the page, and I load it every few days. His listing was killing me: chronic skin condition, adoption fee only $8!

Eight. loving. bucks. Probably the saddest thing I've ever heard. He looks like the best dog and I'm so happy he's got a home :3:

He's probably pure, they do come in silver tones.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

flyable posted:

Any thoughts on what Starbuck might be mixed with? The Sharpei is evident. I had thought pit bull, but this weekend at the dog park I got to see her next to a purebred pit and a purebred sharpei and she was much smaller than either of them. She's about 35 lbs.

I have no idea what the other breed could be, but when I scrolled so that her head was off screen, her body shape in the sitting photo almost looks like some of the non-fat pugs/puggles I have encountered.

Her wrinkly forehead and tiny ears get me every time you post photos of her :3:

Horatio TB irdbath
Mar 13, 2012

(^-^*) DREAMY MAN (*^-^)

Papaya posted:

My current dogs are purebreds (one from a BYB when I was in high school, the other a rescue) but I do have some past dogs to share :3:

Trisha I adopted from a local shelter. She was a beagle/basset mix, lemon and white, and had the most delightful personality. She was insanely smart, which is what killed her in the end along with a combination of stupidity on behalf of my ex and myself (though, I blame my ex since he was supposed to be watching her, and myself for being with the ex in the first place [hindsight]).
She was a good 40, 45 lbs or so. Perfect size.

She'd always look at me ugly like in these next two. I never knew why.

She also LOVED swimming, even though she was terrible at it with her little legs.

She was also one of the last dogs that my Ridgeback actually liked before she became dog-aggressive. :(

Foxi was another rescue. We thought she was a Basenji mix, based on her personality and the lack of a bark but the wide range of mysterious, terrible sounds she'd make. Who knows, she was pretty cute though. When the ex left me he took both Fox and Apple (next) and his new gf let Fox offleash and she was hit by a car :downs: They had the audacity to lie to me about it so I spent many hours wasting my time looking for her in shelters and posting lost ads when really, she was never missing at all. Ugh.

She totally had bat ears.

She also roached a lot.

This was the last time I got to see her after my ex took the dogs. I got to take them out to the lake and took some nice photos of them. Sigh. I never took enough photos of her.

We found Apple right after we got Foxi. After she grew up some, we believed she might be a Great Dane/Pit mix. There certainly are tons of stray pits around here, and a massive amount of Danes in rescue so it wouldn't surprise me if one made a pairing. Apple has the Dane body and the pit blockhead, with the long ears and lips of a Dane too - she's the best. My ex still has her (his gf posts photos of her all over her facebook and myspace, and I'm a loser who stalks them to keep an eye out on my dog's wellbeing) and she looks okay, I guess. She looks so old though, even though she's only four this year.
When we first found her, she was flea infested and really sick. She was miserable.

She was so thin, too, even after a couple of weeks with us :(

But she was SO HAPPPY

These next two pictures were taken about two and a half to three weeks apart. Look at her massive growth! She grew like crazy - which probably didn't help much for that good ol' hip dysplasia she had goin' on.

"I love dirt!"

She and Foxi were best buds.

And when I got Beetle, Apple became the mother he was ripped from too early. She loved him so very much when he was tiny.

Foxi also liked Beetle, and they all got along fairly well.

Just the girls, all fully grown back in the day.

That's all my mutts! I'll have more someday!

Your story about your puppies bought tears to my eyes.

Especially the stupid gf of your ex that let Foxi off the leash!

all of your babies are/were beautiful and you sound like a great pet owner!

flyable
Feb 22, 2010

Topoisomerase posted:

I wouldn't discount shar-pei/pit cross. 35 lbs is on the smaller side for a female sharpei but wouldn't be that rare, and pits are sort of all over the place...

It would make the most sense to me. She has a pitbull head and a total pit personality. Maybe she's got a third mix in there to attribute to her size.

Invalid Octopus posted:

I've seen a few puppies come into the shelter listed as shar pei/english bulldog puppies, that really just looked like smallish shar peis. They came in from puppy mills, so it was likely they had an idea of their breeding. I didn't see them grow up, though.

Oh my gosh those pups must be the wrinkliest ever. The rescue I got Lando from had sharpei mix puppies that looked exactly like Starbuck, just big piles of wrinkles. I'm not sure where Starbuck was bred, but it was some good breeding!

cryingscarf posted:

I have no idea what the other breed could be, but when I scrolled so that her head was off screen, her body shape in the sitting photo almost looks like some of the non-fat pugs/puggles I have encountered.

Her wrinkly forehead and tiny ears get me every time you post photos of her :3:

Eee you should see her tail. It's clearly just an uncurled shar pei tail and looks like it belongs on a turtle. I will have to find it. Also you can't see from that photo, but when she sits all her wrinkles pool at her back legs and it looks like she's wearing baggy pants.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I recently decided to embark on the adoption process with a local rescue organization that she works with at her job. We're told the mom is a "shepherd mix" and I'm assuming it's German shepherd by the looks of it. However, they say there could be three different dads that contributed to this same litter.

and the one we're trying to adopt:

Christmas edit: The adoption fell through, sadly. Due to a number of mis-communications on the organization's end, we won't be able to call that little pile of fur our own.

On the plus side, we visited the local humane society shelter and connected with this guy:

80% sure he's full-on black lab but I'm going to get a genetics test anyway just to confirm.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 26, 2012

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, a lot of byb shar pei tend to be on the small end. I've met the dogs who were probably Beck's parents (right age, right area, had a litter around the time she would have been born), and the male was a 43 lb mix of pit and shar pei. Most of the females I've worked with in the shelter range between 35-45 lbs.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

flyable posted:

Eee you should see her tail. It's clearly just an uncurled shar pei tail and looks like it belongs on a turtle. I will have to find it. Also you can't see from that photo, but when she sits all her wrinkles pool at her back legs and it looks like she's wearing baggy pants.

Yessss. I'm not much of a dog person, but my friend's shar pei mix Molly was such a lover. I would roll around on the ground wrestling with her like a little kid. When she ran, all her loose skin would sort of slosh back and forth. She also instinctively pointed at ducks and geese without fail, so we figured she was shar pei/working line lab mix.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I got my wisdom panel results back on copper. I've posted him several times in this thread. I THOUGHT he was a boxer Great Dane mix, but he's not. He's boxer with a mix of Great Pyrenees and "other". Ill post the full report later.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
IT'S PIPPEN. Pippen is the two-year-old border collie mix I adopted a few months ago. My guess is golden retriever/bc, but who knows. Mostly he looks like an oversize collie with a retriever's fur color. 90% of people automatically refer to him as a "her," which is nuts -- obviously my fluffy blond dog oozes raw masculinity.

You can see his weird merled right eye here, and some of his nose freckles. He also has light freckling on his paws :3:

Doofily set ears. Occasionally one will pop up when he's stalking something or chasing another dog.

Pippen is a total gentleman inside, but once he gets to the dog park he's a wrestling, chasing, stick-catching, ball-fetching, running-in-circles machine. Holy crap he loves other dogs so much. He always gets pretty filthy but today was especially bad.

Trying to take a nap post-bath.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 29, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I worked with an interesting mutt today at the shelter (billed as boston x schip, maybe true, definitely boston):

He looked really weird, though cute: long-ish rough guard hairs, moderate muzzle, fairly lanky build.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Engineer Lenk posted:

I worked with an interesting mutt today at the shelter (billed as boston x schip, maybe true, definitely boston):

He looked really weird, though cute: long-ish rough guard hairs, moderate muzzle, fairly lanky build.

What an unfortunate mix. I can kind of see the schip in him (the ears and the fur) but are there really a lot of schipperkes running around?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I could see boston/pom, if schipperkes aren't common in your area, but why someone would want to create such an abomination is beyond me.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Boston crossed with a plain ol', muttyish scruffy terrier would definitely be a possibility too imo.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I had a co-worker who bought a schipperke and shi tzu mix, just because he was the cheapest puppy there. Why the gently caress would you want a mix of those two breeds? He ended up looking like a big fluffy black mop. I've also seen more schipperke mixes in the shelters, so maybe they are becoming more popular? At least with the byb designer breeders. I could definitely see them doing a Boston mix with it. Though it would create a terrible dog imo

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Engineer Lenk posted:

That is a dog/cat hybrid.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Fraction posted:

Boston crossed with a plain ol', muttyish scruffy terrier would definitely be a possibility too imo.

This was my first thought, before I saw his paperwork. I can believe the schip mix, though. I have a likely one at home and this dog has the same type of coat and some of the same (obnoxious) vocalizations.

Captain Foxy posted:

I could see boston/pom, if schipperkes aren't common in your area, but why someone would want to create such an abomination is beyond me.

Maybe - but there was very little volume to the coat. Most of the pom mixes I've seen are pretty poofy, for lack of a better term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I guess there are more milled Schips out there than I thought. The rescue that I follow on Facebook always has mill surrenders and BYB'ed dogs in bad condition coming through so I suppose its more common than I want to admit.