Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Is the Arcane Ritual pet a strong enough tank to work in Alerts if you max it out? Also, if I'm using lots of uncontrollable pets would they do more damage with ebon destruction in support or some offensive passive in ranged damage mode? scratch that, found out that role has no effect on powers of any pet category. Now I just have to decide between aura of primal majesty or ebon destruction.

BlueDestiny fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Is it okay to post pictures? I had an idea for a silly character last night and made it when I was bored. I don't know how much I'll actually play him but I present to you:

Sharkognito, the regular humans man who is definitely not a shark.

And here's my Might punchy person who I've been playing a bunch. Everyone seems to be using some variant of the Holo Hex Armor but it looks so cool so gently caress it.

If anyone wants to add me my global is @CatsworthSA. :)

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 15, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I wanted to put together a goofy rear end build whose whole theme was stacking lots of obnoxious particle/physics effects, screen-shaking and noisy powers. I quickly ran into one major issue though: A lot of the effects don't persist. The best I can figure out at the moment is Fissure and Avalanche together. Are there any recommendations you guys can make as to more poo poo I can toss out while keeping those going so I can be obnoxious as hell?

If not, I might as well add Avalanche to my pet build and call it a day. :v:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

I wanted to put together a goofy rear end build whose whole theme was stacking lots of obnoxious particle/physics effects, screen-shaking and noisy powers. I quickly ran into one major issue though: A lot of the effects don't persist. The best I can figure out at the moment is Fissure and Avalanche together. Are there any recommendations you guys can make as to more poo poo I can toss out while keeping those going so I can be obnoxious as hell?

If not, I might as well add Avalanche to my pet build and call it a day. :v:

Oribital laser with the persistent ability is pretty loud

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Catsworth posted:

Is it okay to post pictures? I had an idea for a silly character last night and made it when I was bored. I don't know how much I'll actually play him but I present to you:

Sharkognito, the regular humans man who is definitely not a shark.

If anyone wants to add me my global is @CatsworthSA. :)
Oh hey, you incidentally ended up on my friends list last night. I'm @LaserFace , was setting up Scott Scorcher while you were messing around with Geist :v::respek::v:

I tend to just screw around every so often for an hour or so at a time, but more on the friends list that wasn't a case of "The Info button moved and became friend invite" is always welcome.

I love any and all shark builds. I can't help but say "Jawesome" To every single shark themed character I run past.

EDIT: Agreeing that Avalanche is hilarious, especially if somebody nearby didn't turn off screenshake.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 15, 2012

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Going to go for a tanky bestial supernatural build, I however have 0 experience in any of the powers and have no idea which ones are good, if anybody can chime in with feedback that would be great. I tossed up a build here. http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=121381239AGd323P004P10HP30JP409P900PB03B803I900PF05PC00QJ00Q305P800IB003UaW0ieT42iK

I have the offensive passive to be able to quickly respec into a more dps friendly build when I want to play that since all I'll really have to do is reset my spec points for more crit focus over evasion.

He's going to be a clawed heavily armored skeleton dude, I'm only sad that I can't go headless.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Section Z posted:

Oh hey, you incidentally ended up on my friends list last night. I'm @LaserFace , was setting up Scott Scorcher while you were messing around with Geist :v::respek::v:

I tend to just screw around every so often for an hour or so at a time, but more on the friends list that wasn't a case of "The Info button moved and became friend invite" is always welcome.

I love any and all shark builds. I can't help but say "Jawesome" To every single shark themed character I run past.

Haha awesome. Got Geist up to 17 doing mostly Alerts and holy poo poo does it poo poo out damage. Unfortunately if a boss turns to look at me I'm pretty much dead and my crazy damage ensures this happens pretty often.

Out of the 4 people I've added in-game so far, 50% of them have been on accident while trying to look at Info. :downsgun:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Aphrodite posted:

Account.

One of the Cyberpunk pieces is male only, though. I forget which.

Cyberpunk Chest Torso :argh:

I'm the one that discovered this (since the game doesn't tell you this important fact) and of course they wouldn't refund me the Q for a costume piece I have practically zero intention of using :saddowns:

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 15, 2012

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Catsworth posted:

Out of the 4 people I've added in-game so far, 50% of them have been on accident while trying to look at Info. :downsgun:

/bind ` target_info

BlueDestiny posted:

Is the Arcane Ritual pet a strong enough tank to work in Alerts if you max it out? Also, if I'm using lots of uncontrollable pets would they do more damage with ebon destruction in support or some offensive passive in ranged damage mode? scratch that, found out that role has no effect on powers of any pet category. Now I just have to decide between aura of primal majesty or ebon destruction.

Might as well go Ebon Destruction. Your pets will just poo poo out more damage, probably moreso than they would while benefitting from Primal Majesty. Plus you can totally go 'yeah my wolves and raptors breathe fire'.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 15, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Catsworth posted:

And here's my Might punchy person who I've been playing a bunch. Everyone seems to be using some variant of the Holo Hex Armor but it looks so cool so gently caress it.

Every time I start using Holo Hex parts, I wind up annoyed that there are no Holo Hex Armor shoulderpads, just the Holo Hex Field ones. :argh:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

prefect posted:

Every time I start using Holo Hex parts, I wind up annoyed that there are no Holo Hex Armor shoulderpads, just the Holo Hex Field ones. :argh:

And me, wondering why they have no thigh holy hex fields as well to go with the shin fields.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Bluhman posted:

Thing about those moves is that they definitely have big tactical applications. Ball Lightning makes Ionic Reverberation trigger much more often, thus giving you a lot more energy to work with. As for Implosion Engine, which is less vital but I wasn't sure what theme we were going with, it does serve very nicely to gather up enemies in a huge clump so that your Gigabolt can hit them all.

What's most likely going to happen if you take those two is that you'll almost never use them, on account of your main attacks being a lot more convenient to use. Demolish's defense down only applies for melee physical attacks, while roomsweeper will pretty much make any melee DPS person hate you instantly. Shockwave does hit a pretty big area, but its damage is quite unimpressive, and you'll most likely revert to just tapping Gigabolt on things until they die. On the plus side, it might actually be a better attack to place Challenging Strikes on than Sparkstorm, so you could substitute that out for Shockwave.

If I were to mix might into the build, I'd put in Defensive Combo and Lock and Load w/ advantage: Trigger LnL, fire off electric attacks until it runs out, then charge into melee range and begin clobbering the hell out of your enemies to draw aggro and make it recharge quicker.

You are amazing. Thank you. I never would have thought of using Defensive Combo as my one punching power because I was focused on the big hitters. Which is crazy since Gigabolt is my big hitter in this build. And it's the perfect Might tank power.

I'll have to see how LnL works out in practice. I think I see what you're saying with how it combos together. LnL would replace Electric Sheathe here, right?

Another, unrelated question: how are the new batman powers in Gadgeteering? Can you build a pretty good powerset mostly out of those?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
They're ridiculous. They all improve vastly when used with the Night Warrior passive in Martial Arts (the stealth passive), and even then, it hones one of the most powerful physical single-target range attacks in the game with Ricochet Throw, as well as Strafing Run which easily does around 16k damage in an area on a DPS build with average equipment.

EDIT: Answering the thing about LnL, Electric Sheath in your build is good because it offers a shield that scales with your energy reserves when activated, making you do both more damage and temporarily able to absorb a few hits. Problem is, though, running in tank role, you likely aren't going to get the full benefits of that advantage, since your energy reserves are shrunken. LnL's combination will do more damage thanks to more frequent criticals, and only reduce your defenses minimally, so I'd say it's a solid choice to do.

VV: Yeah; like most charge attacks, Ricochet Throw's DPS is highest when tapped repeatedly, so taps are preferably used against lone targets. In contrast, the charge turns the attack into an amorphous AoE that shapes itself to the mob it hits. Forget trying to clump your enemies up in a ball or lining up a shot. So long as they're in the same general area they'll all get hit.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 15, 2012

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Bluhman posted:

They're ridiculous. They all improve vastly when used with the Night Warrior passive in Martial Arts (the stealth passive), and even then, it hones one of the most powerful physical single-target range attacks in the game with Ricochet Throw, as well as Strafing Run which easily does around 16k damage in an area on a DPS build with average equipment.

EDIT: Answering the thing about LnL, Electric Sheath in your build is good because it offers a shield that scales with your energy reserves when activated, making you do both more damage and temporarily able to absorb a few hits. Problem is, though, running in tank role, you likely aren't going to get the full benefits of that advantage, since your energy reserves are shrunken. LnL's combination will do more damage thanks to more frequent criticals, and only reduce your defenses minimally, so I'd say it's a solid choice to do.

Yeah ricochet throw is absolutely silly in how overpowered it is. It's an AoE attack that uses single target scaling, so you can fire it off from 100 feet for almost no endurance and clear out every henchman per spawn and leave villains at less than half health. I think I can get it to one-shot villains too once I max out Targeting Computer and get my third superstat.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

e: gently caress it after how infuriating pubbies are I'm going to make a loving tank and just try to carry everyone. :v:

e2: Here's what I threw together for tanking: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=1312aAG9FPQ7010G000G403G603I20KI80KGC0BBG03MB03GE00IE04IH0300000000QJ002MR40Bd33bhx

It has two free slots to do 'something' with, I'm not sure what. The only immediate thought for one of them was to grab Unstoppable for if I have to DPS. Not sure what I'd do with the other. Not sure if my trees and advantages are good either. Would love input on these final elements.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 15, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I should mention: If you happened to be around from last year and are still carrying Clarence Rubble, you can actually do the Christmas instance mission and fight against Black Harlequin. They redid the final fight against him, which now features you fighting two giant robots that can easily do around 2000-4000 damage in a single hit with their grenade.

If you manage to beat them, though, you can get some equipment that boosts the amount of Questionite you get, as well as costume unlocks, which include, but are not limited to poofy mustaches and steampunk mechanical pieces.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
What the hell.

Past week or so have run through the Kodiak missions several times. Solo, or teams with me or somebody else bringing a higher level character sidekicked down and shared into the missions. Always Solo sized mob even when we cranked up the difficulty a few notches.

Today team of all fresh characters, Kodiak missions. Master villains in mobs? BIGGER mobs? Okay this is great that it actually CAN happen, maybe the X-Mas patch fixed something.

Another team with shared into it higher level character sidkicking... Back to Solo Size mobs.

What the hell. This kind of fucks with sidekicking down to help pals like I'm used to in City, turns it into a "Who can oneshot the whole mob first" competition even at level 8.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 16, 2012

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Dinictus posted:

/bind ` target_info

Thanks! That will be useful so I can spy on people easier.

prefect posted:

Dinictus posted:

And me, wondering why they have no thigh holy hex fields as well to go with the shin fields.

Yeah, definitely. I can't use the feet ones because they look so silly all alone down there. Originally I had the shoulders/head/gloves/chest holos but I changed it to just left hand glove, head and chest ones but in a further rework changed it to the above. I really like how asymmetrical the system lets you be. I've got both of the armored gloves and thighs on but have one stripe and one non-striped variant of each on opposing sides.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So since I joined this game, the main alert instances have been A) fight the Russians and B) fight the Chinese.

I...feel like the game is trying to tell me something but I'm just not sure what.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
well, there's Warlord, who's a war and technology obsessed american villain.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

So since I joined this game, the main alert instances have been A) fight the Russians and B) fight the Chinese.

I...feel like the game is trying to tell me something but I'm just not sure what.
"Welcome to the Silver Age of comics?" :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BrianWilly posted:

They're telling you to make an Iron Man character.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I've finally stuck with an Alt long enough to head on out to the Desert Disaster, after mindelessly taking out the Death Dragon with my Regeneration slotted fire blaster, yeah I was 1 level higher than the mission at the time, but had it on hard mode.

Completely loving invincible. I'm not even paying attention to gear yet at this early level 16 point. My Offensive slotted characters actually end up at some risk since they have to kill bosses that dont instantly die before I get dropped, but this Regeneration fire blaster guy has been just bonkers so far. (Enough dudes aggrod at once in some place like say, the prison riot actully moves my health bar... Until I combustion them all to death, thanks for the free energy arsonists!)

Aside from Adventure packs and Alerts which I haven't tried yet, at what point in the content does anything actually pose a risk to you Solo when you have a defensive slotted? I wasn't killing things any slower usually, but at least my munitions guy with Targeting computer is actually at some slight risk. I might blow the currency to Undo half my levels and swap Regeneration out for Fire form and keeping Con Secondary for "durability" at this rate. Sure, it won't be any more difficult except when up against bosses at this level range, but at least it can pretend.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The release content is notoriously easy, always has been. Things don't start getting difficult until you play alerts, adventure packs, or Vibora Bay (level 35-40 content)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

The release content is notoriously easy, always has been. Things don't start getting difficult until you play alerts, adventure packs, or Vibora Bay (level 35-40 content)
Yeah, it never felt like much danger before. Though this was my first stab at a Defensive passive (gave Invuln a go way back, it was hilarious seeing lower level enemy guns deal a bunch of zero's in damage at launch, but wrestling with Power Armor kept the sense of challenge), so from a perspective of a guy usually in a "Kill them before they kill you" mindset and slotting as I kept bouncing through alts that tended to get dropped around level 18... Being casually invincible while solo Hard difficulty against End of arc Super villains is somewhat jarring.

Combined with that strange glitch where if me or somebody else sidekick down to a lower level (or one level above, or were already same level) for a shared with me mission, enemy spawns in instances are solo sized... Yeah. On the flipside, my fresh munitions guy and two other fresh characters actually encountering mob scaling got kind of crazy "Wait what people are actually dying what's going on", since instead of solo sized mobs for three people like we had gotten used to, oh look Master villains in every other mob. It seems picking up the mission individually lets the scaling actually happen, but having people shared in, even when two out of three people have it naturally, doesn't change things compared to solo.

So I know the game can throw out some kind of challenge, the problem seems to be it wants to hide it behind new content or lock it away behind strange bugs if you want to help somebody out through the launch content.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 17, 2012

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Dumb question, maybe, but what are the quicker ways to earn up to the daily 8K Questionite refining limit on any given char? There's the dailies, 2K, ranging from easily done to nervewracking if you're stuck with pubbies in a group on bad villains, 1.5K from running Gravitar and surviving, and right now Hi Pan's alert giving a Questionite box that may contain a windfall. But outside of some lucky bosses in the Alerts or diligently farming Questionite boxes on Purple Reign (EDIT: which you can't mail to your alts, obviously) , what can a person do to relatively quickly get their Questionite in?

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 17, 2012

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I dunno about quick, but running Whiteout with a full team apparently results in piles and piles of questionite boxes. You could try that. There's a bug with them where in that comic series alone (I think) it drops a box for every team member but all of you can pick up all five, resulting in the aforementioned piles of boxes. Supposedly fixed, I heard, but I also saw pubbies recruiting for it just last night so maybe not. Or pubbies are stupid and haven't heard, might want to verify before wasting several hours. Plus there's the 2k you get from the mission for it.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Section Z posted:

Aside from Adventure packs and Alerts which I haven't tried yet, at what point in the content does anything actually pose a risk to you Solo when you have a defensive slotted?

I always heard that Regeneration in particular was ridiculously good at lower levels but tapered off somewhat at the high end. I haven't used it myself and I don't know if that information is outdated, but that's what I've heard.

Regardless, if you're looking for something that offers a challenge: Gravitar, Therakiel's Temple, Sky Command, or certain alerts and adventure packs. Regular quest content is almost always a cakewalk.

Dinictus posted:

Dumb question, maybe, but what are the quicker ways to earn up to the daily 8K Questionite refining limit on any given char?

If I'm pushing hard for Questionite I usually just rotate through different characters rather than try to max any given one to 8k. I tend to get tired of it before I run out of characters.

Others probably have better methods, but this is what I do for Questionite: Get a friend for the alerts; even a single competent teammate changes your chances of victory to near 100%. The alert dailies can actually be done twice a day if your schedule allows you to log in at the appropriate times, so that's 4k. I usually do two Gravitar runs bringing the total to 6.7k and then call it good, but sometimes the rest gets filled in with a few Nemesis Dockside Dustups.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Neurolimal posted:

...also if you try to solo lairs >_>

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Whiteout's final boss can be a pretty good challenge when working solo. If warlord rolls into town, he also poses a pretty big threat, and can almost be soloed if your build is good enough and like everyone else abandons you on a team (which happened to me once - on a scrapper build of all things.)

I really wish the difficulty rating mattered for anything other than EXP and resource drops nowadays. Way back when it used to yield much better equipment drops than before when doing missions like Serpent Lantern and whatnot. Now that the loot table doesn't really do much scaling with difficulty there hasn't been much reason for me to attempt doing anything above Normal.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
So, I'm having a problem. I'm running a stupid support spec and it mostly works well (it craps damage debuffs everywhere), except Honor is a sticking point. From what I gather, it'll trigger off of Sentinel Aura constantly, but on-next-hit effects only seem to affect one tick of damage, so I'd probably stand to gain a lot of damage by taking something like Defile that pack a lot into a single hit.

I'm kind of stuck on what I could drop to take it though.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Can I take a moment to say how god damned frustrating it is that anything outside of straight damage or a bit of tankiness is useless? Holds et al are garbage since all of them break on damage and anything you can't DPS through in half a second is immune to them anyways. Not to turn this into "COH WAS SO MUCH BETTER" but at least they knew what the gently caress to do with controls and debuffing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno, I had fun trapping enemies in ice cages or whatever with the ice powers archetype. That was a long rear end time ago, maybe things have changed? Or perhaps I'm thinking too broadly and you are referring to specific hold moves?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlueDestiny posted:

at least they knew what the gently caress to do with controls and debuffing.

Make them too powerful?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. Holds and crowd control are totally viable in ChampO, it just can't be all a character does. You still need your own attacks and defense... but there's enough powers spare (on a freeform character anyway) that it's pretty easy to grab three or four control powers to no ill effect. They're still a bit weak, but I'll totally take that over CoH's crazy balancing attempts at dealing with control-primary classes/

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Does Ego Storm still 1) murder all the henchmen in range and 2) lock down all the lieutenants long enough to kill them with follow-ups?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Asimo posted:

Yeah. Holds and crowd control are totally viable in ChampO, it just can't be all a character does. You still need your own attacks and defense... but there's enough powers spare (on a freeform character anyway) that it's pretty easy to grab three or four control powers to no ill effect. They're still a bit weak, but I'll totally take that over CoH's crazy balancing attempts at dealing with control-primary classes/
I think they'd be in a fine spot if they didn't break on damage, at least in PvE. The DR buff was more than enough to solve the problem of incapacitating enemies permanently and higher-rank enemies have shorter durations anyway. The real problem is that even incidental AoE damage will break the effect almost instantly, at which point it's basically worthless.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

LordSaturn posted:

Does Ego Storm still 1) murder all the henchmen in range and 2) lock down all the lieutenants long enough to kill them with follow-ups?

It might, but there's more PBAoE maintains to go with now. Like the one from wind, or pestilence. The latter is really good with the Pestilence passive, and it's easy to keep up stacks of your form.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I find lead tempest from munitions good for that, too. Wish things in this game had a higher target cap though, but that's just me being used to murdering whole spawns at once in CoH. It'll pass, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

General Maximus posted:

I find lead tempest from munitions good for that, too. Wish things in this game had a higher target cap though, but that's just me being used to murdering whole spawns at once in CoH. It'll pass, eventually.
It doesn't help that cardboard boxes and other scenery objects seem to count towards that cap either. I vaguely recall Skarn's bane used to around launch either having a higher, or no target cap which made me think 'Oh, THAT's why this piece of trash is a Tier three while Dark's murder cone is easy access'.

Not anymore it's not :smith: was it ever like that, or just a wishful dream?

I should try Dark sometime, Ego, Rec/Pre or something for Dark? Or does Presence not matter at all/fear is just a gimmick for Darkness?
Man, I want to try everything. Maybe my attention span will stick long enough to get a guy past 20 for once.

EDIT: Huh, Spirit reverberation scales with CON along with Recovery. Go figure.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 18, 2012