Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Boxing Snatcher posted:

I am lost without a guide.

Any reason you picked Charlotte? Are you from the South/want to go to school in the South? If so, SCAD could be an option. There are a few majors there that I think could be of interest to you that you might want to look into if you think this is an option. You mention interest in both post production and digital film making which I think would make both the regular film major of interest as well as motion media. As far as cost is concerned it seems roughly comparable but I know SCAD is always increasing tuition. You should know, however, that they can be generous with scholarship money, or at least they were several years ago.

Motion Media
Film and Television

Full disclosure, I am a SCAD alumni but not in any of the fields above.
I know SCAD kind of gets a bad rap on this forum but I'm more than willing to respond/contribute to any criticism as well as answer questions in an unbiased way as possible.

Edit: speling

SpoonsForThought fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
I live in NC only a few hours from Charlotte and that's pretty much the closest place that offers what I am looking for. I will include SCAD in my analysis of choices though. Thanks!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My cousin went to SCAD majoring in Motion Media so I'm going to give a few warnings. Please keep in mind there are tons of creatives scraping by before you add 40+k of "unbankruptable" debt by going to a private art school. My cousin has been out of school for 3-ish years now and still hasn't found a solid job. She has been stuck in freelance limbo living in Brooklyn. She says if she had less loans to pay she could be living in a nicer place and have some cash to go out.

I went to a state school for graphic design, but I switched from graphic design to web development after I got my BFA just to have a job. I do love web development as much as design so it's worked out ok for me. I still work an extra 10 hours freelancing on top of my job to pay down my loans faster.

Also, Savannah is a tourist town and the prices reflect that. Apartments are ridiculously overpriced because of the constant inflow/outflow of SCAD students there.

But hey it's a fun town. You can drink in the streets and there's always something cool happening. St Patty's Day was a blast when I went and visited.

nuralagus rex
Oct 11, 2012

The squirrels are all right. AND the rabbits--some of 'em, but rabbits are a mixed lot.
Anyone in here have any experience with fashion design programs? Specifically post-undergrad ones? I am trying to accept the fact that this is probably not the year I get it together to apply to a program I've been considering (post-baccalaureate program at SAIC) and figure out what my options are.

My background: I'm 37 and I have a BA in communications/cultural studies and one in fine arts. (Between honors and gen ed requirements I was in undergrad for 5 years, and since I took so many art courses as electives I ended up with that second degree.) I've been working full time in a stressful but well-paying job that's not related to either degree, and I've wanting to switch careers and go to grad school for fashion design for a few years now. (I always wanted a master's in something - and a 3rd bachelor's seems silly.) I've taken some classes at SAIC and I liked what I saw of it so that's my first choice school. This past year I learned that for what I want to get out of it (learn to make clothes properly) I might be better off with the post-bacc program instead of the master's (where you learn to make grand conceptual gestures that reference the body, or something) and they also have a non-degree certificate program which I could achieve by taking continuing ed classes while I'm still working full-time.

I am wondering if there's any experience with the different types of programs (grad vs. post-bacc vs. a non-degree certificate - and does not have to be SAIC-specific of course) and what kind of options they would offer me. If I am not applying this year (I am trying to psych myself up to admitting that I'm not ready - I really wanted to apply this year but I don't want to apply with a half-assed portfolio in 2 months time) I want to make sure I am not just procrastinating and using that time wisely.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

qirex posted:

If you're at all concerned about money go to a public school in your current state of residence and do not go to private art school in San Francisco.

The San Francisco Art Institute and the California College of the Arts are the only "real" art schools in the city. Everything else is firmly in the "advertises during late night cartoon reruns" camp. They are all ruinously expensive and San Francisco is the costliest place to live in America outside of NYC.

Just want to add that despite frustrating administration problems, San Jose State has a pretty drat fine Art department.

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

nuralagus rex posted:

I am wondering if there's any experience with the different types of programs (grad vs. post-bacc vs. a non-degree certificate - and does not have to be SAIC-specific of course) and what kind of options they would offer me. If I am not applying this year (I am trying to psych myself up to admitting that I'm not ready - I really wanted to apply this year but I don't want to apply with a half-assed portfolio in 2 months time) I want to make sure I am not just procrastinating and using that time wisely.

I did Post-Bacc at PAFA (after not making it into their MFA program :cry:)We worked really closely with the MFA students though, and it seemed like we did as much artwork, but they had to do a lot more writing and research. Plus we only did one year vs. the two years for MFA.

Captain Knots
Jun 29, 2012

Poorly written by Billy, age 8.
I was recently invited to an artist residency program in Europe and have some grant writing ahead of me to help fund the flight and some other (not low) fees.

I'm having a really hard time developing my project thesis which I will apply toward grant applications. I feel like everything I try to write about my art seems trite and lacks depth. Am I just being judgmental about the language of art? Does anyone have tips about writing an artists statement of intent? What to avoid?

Specifically, I need this intel in regards to grant writing, but it would also be great to get some feedback about artist statements in general. Expressing my "intent" seems so personal and awkward, I just don't do it.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

Captain Knots posted:

I was recently invited to an artist residency program in Europe and have some grant writing ahead of me to help fund the flight and some other (not low) fees.

I'm having a really hard time developing my project thesis which I will apply toward grant applications. I feel like everything I try to write about my art seems trite and lacks depth. Am I just being judgmental about the language of art? Does anyone have tips about writing an artists statement of intent? What to avoid?

Specifically, I need this intel in regards to grant writing, but it would also be great to get some feedback about artist statements in general. Expressing my "intent" seems so personal and awkward, I just don't do it.

I just did a residency in China, which was partially funded by grants. I'm planning to go back sometime next year if I can get the money to do it again. Actually sometime in the next few weeks I may post a thread about the whole thing.

I think you should make a thread and post photos of your work and your artist statement, and just ask for feedback. It's really hard to judge where someone is at with nothing to go on. Writing a concise artist statement is very, very difficult. Writing an artist statement which actually matches the work is even more difficult.

My general advise is:
Your statement is about your work, it should focus on the work, and make specific argument(s) about why your work is important and different.
Avoid anything that has to do with your personal philosophy. If there is a very strong tie with your work it might be appropriate, but for a beginner I'd just avoid it. An example of this would be something like "The big bad corporations like wal mart are taking over the world and my work is about exposing them by recycling mcdonalds trashbags into mega sculptures."
Keep it short and clear.
Show it to non-art people and ask them if they understand. If you sense any hesitation or sandbagging, then you need to do it again.

Basically you are trying to communicate in visual language, the work is the MOST important and your statement should just back up the work.

Here are some examples of artists who I think have excellent work as well as artists statements - sorry they're both ceramic but basically that's my area. Both of these people are highly respected in their fields. I often suggest people struggling with artists statements to read these:

http://susanbeinerceramics.com/statement.html
http://www.donreitz.com/new%20site/statement2.html

As far as the grant writing goes, it depends a lot on the grant. Usually grants have some sort of "competitive" review process involving a panel of people who work in the realm of the arts. So naturally knowing some of these people helps (not even kidding.) But talking broad strokes, I would say, read your grant applications carefully:

Usually you're not supposed to write more than one or two pages. Personally I think even one page is usually overkill if you actually know what you're going to do. You can put a lot of information in one page if you write clearly.

What you write needs to be tailored to the application specifically.

Focus on why doing your work THERE is important vs anywhere else. If you're going to study with someone famous, or do work at somewhere famous, and you have their endorsement, name drop when you can. If it's feeding into some bigger project or something you're doing in your home country, mention that too.

Again, avoid statements about personal philosophy and really complex "art language." Be short, clear, etc.: who, what, where, why, when, and focus on the WHY - why should it be you and not someone else who is an equally talented creative person?

Another thing that is generally appealing is if your work is collaborative or you're trying to bring in other artists or community people, because then it looks like the money isn't just going to fund your expensive vacation. One reason I got the grant I got was because I'm trying to do an exhibition of Chinese artists (to be clear, an exhibition excluding myself) now that I am back, and it will be at a well-known venue. But I had to do all the groundwork before I actually left.

The other thing is that you have to write a lot of grants, and you should expect a lot of rejection. If you just write one, you're not going to get it. And the more you do, the better you get at it... good luck.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My company, [redacted] is looking for a mid-level interactive designer and developer. This job is about a 50/50 mix of design and front end development.

[redacted] I'm happy to answer any and all questions about the position, the studio, Washington DC, etc.

Please do not judge us by the code on our site... it is ancient and I hate it, and if I had more time in the day I would have recoded it already. That's one of the reasons why we're hiring! :)

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 31, 2015

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

Anyone attended/know important information for prospective students about any the following schools: MICA, CCA, SVA, RISD or Pratt?

These are the schools I applied/was accepted to last Spring. I decided not to attend Fall 2012 because I wanted to transfer some credits from a community college (I'm poor) and be certain about my major before I attended an expensive private art school. My talents lie in drawing and painting but I'm more interested in commercial art and illustration than I am in fine art or theory.

Has anyone in this thread attended these schools, and if so what would you say about your major and/or the departments you were in? Or any general advice for a (economically disadvantaged) young person interested in going to art school with the goal of pursuing a career in art?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Get an AA from a community college to be your "permission slip" to work, then take ~20% of what you would spend on art school tuition and use it to buy training materials/take classes online and just work on projects until you get a job.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

mutata posted:

Get an AA from a community college to be your "permission slip" to work, then take ~20% of what you would spend on art school tuition and use it to buy training materials/take classes online and just work on projects until you get a job.

This loving this.

You don't want to be like me and have like 40k owed. And that's just for one year. I got lucky. Most grads owe 130k or more depending on what "art" school they go to.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2013

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

mutata posted:

The money issue is a big one, and art school tends to be overpriced by comparison. From the financial standpoint you make a sound point, but in my personal educational experience, I have had a few really fantastic instructors who have/had a big impact on the way I make, and the way I think about making. When I say that, I mean that they helped lay foundations both in visuality/theory and understanding why we think some things look good and others don't, as well as work flow and work ethic. For creative types I often see work ethic as being a gigantic issue... especially young people who 'aren't really sure.' While it may sound stuck up, you would never find these individuals teaching at a community college - I know because I took courses at a community college for a few years from different instructors. It was fun, and at the time, I thought they were decent. Looking back, I wish I had spent my time elsewhere. It wasn't necessarily wasted time, but I definitely was taught more rapidly and more rewardingly when I started apprenticing with a local artist in my city - that was also my first instance of meeting an artist who works goddamn near all the time, and one of the few I know making a decent living as a younger person. He went to Laguna, a fairly expensive school, and every semester he went he had about 15,000 reasons to bust his rear end.

afgrunden posted:

Anyone attended/know important information for prospective students about any the following schools: MICA, CCA, SVA, RISD or Pratt?

These are the schools I applied/was accepted to last Spring. I decided not to attend Fall 2012 because I wanted to transfer some credits from a community college (I'm poor) and be certain about my major before I attended an expensive private art school. My talents lie in drawing and painting but I'm more interested in commercial art and illustration than I am in fine art or theory.

Has anyone in this thread attended these schools, and if so what would you say about your major and/or the departments you were in? Or any general advice for a (economically disadvantaged) young person interested in going to art school with the goal of pursuing a career in art?

Out of those, I think RISD is probably has the best reputation. I have met RISD grads making a living, let me say that. I haven't actually heard a lot about Pratt, so I looked at their website to see who their faculty were (I have been considering an MFA recently and this is my first step in how I size up a program quickly, it's not the best way, but I figure in the very least if someone's teaching me they need to make good work for me to respect what they're saying.) So anyway, I couldn't even find a link to faculty bios for their programs, whether I am just missing it or its intentionally omitted, it gets on my nerves.

As far as the money thing goes, if you want to go to a good program, you are going to have to take out some loans. That is the unfortunate state of the game right now. There are other alternatives - community college, working on your own, etc. IF you have the work ethic for it, that can work. But I do think in the top programs (RISD, SCAD, etc.) you learn a lot more, especially about work ethic and developing a critical eye about work... those things, you are not really going to get at a community college or working on your own. I mean I'm sure some people are born with the ability to grind on a drawing for 12 hours straight, but I have never met any myself.

Basically what I'd say is, if you're not certain, then don't go. It's ok to take some time and think about it, or take a community college class, or whatever. Figure out what it is you want to do... but in creative fields, including any fine art or illustration, if you don't love it enough to do it 12 hours a day, you're probably working in the wrong field. Because those kinds of people exist, and they're the ones who are successful. By and large, the ones that I have met have had significant, formal background/education from some program that was decent (state college or above.) I do know a working illustrator who was self-taught, and he is good, but he lived in Chicago and would go to open life-drawing sessions for like 6 hours a day, every day, for years. So it CAN be done, but he has a very strong work ethic, you know he would go to these sessions and work his rear end off, all the time. And he is quite a bit older, I think he started in his late 20s, so that helped him.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

While I'm sympathetic to what you say (I had a similar experience with good professors), art school debt is a ridiculous price to pay for the life lesson of "work is work and only you can do your work". Debt is damage these days. You even make the point that you know one guy who is making good money. How many others are crippled for the next 30 years paying off their loans? THAT'S one good reason that's better than your 15000 reasons to get one's own rear end in shape. :)

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

I am really more angry at the way the whole system has developed than anything else. I think big ticket prices on any undergraduate education are more or less a scam. The unfortunate situation with art/design is that once you finish you're just in poor shape to pay that money back unless you live in one of the few places of the US where it's plausible to do it (NY/Chicago/California).

But the other half of that is I often see people unwilling to take out a few loans and get a real education because they're just not committed to it at that level. A lot of the people I've met who have fallen into that category were simply not hard working people. I don't think $50 or $60k of debt, even in a creative profession, is all that crippling if one actually knows how to work and uses the opportunities presented to them BUT most people do not and those are the people who shouldn't be jumping into it... unfortunately I think those are the people that are in the majority in most schools, in most majors, not just art.

I work as an administrator (in a financial capacity) for a research center at a large public school, which is well known for science research. I'm also a masters student in their art history program, which isn't famous but it is decent. And they have great ceramics facilities, really some of the best in the country, so I can work on my artwork along with doing the art history thing. The reason I took this job is because I get a 100% tuition waiver and I wanted to study more... thats part of the benefits of being staff here. It's also one of the reasons their base tuition is so egregiously expensive. There are a lot of other reasons - we have a ton of what I see as basically worthless infrastructure being financed by the school, and all these departments who exist to help pull in federal money and philanthropy money just for departments (hard sciences) without any kind of regards to the humanities.

And the base tuition for art/art history masters students is something like $24k/year... I could never stomach that for art history BUT I do know art history graduates who make 40-50k/year - a decent wage in this area - doing arts administration of some sort. Those that want to do PhD level work are basically hosed, I think the average wage for an art history adjunct was like $24k/year for teaching 3 courses a term for an academic year. So I mean, it really depends a lot on what kind of work you want to do and where you'll end up. In someplace like NY or San Francisco, 60k of debt is not a big number and there are a lot of opportunities to do arts administration or gallery sales type work were that someones inclination. But to work at a museum or a university, otoh, you basically have to have a trust fund or something to live because you could never do it on their salaries.

What I'm saying in a nutshell is that it depends a lot on a persons individual motivation and situation. But the fiscal aspect of it is just one part of it, and I think a lot of people get caught up on it because they don't want to actually bite the bullet and bear into doing real work, because a lot of it is a grind. And a LOT of people, including masters students in different fine arts practices I see here, are really not hard working people. Sometimes I even wonder why they're here.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I went to a state school for design and didn't have too much trouble finding a job, but I sort of switched careers mid-stream. Plus it was a very well recognized and respected part of the art department with students in some publications like CMYK. But even a lot of designers are showing up as web developers because there is no work, and I'm in a very saturated marketing city so there usually jobs for our grads here. For reference I live in the mid-West.

It's just that if you're going to go in now for painting/illustration don't go to a private school unless you have some really good scholarships because times suck and are going to suck even more for artists. It was hard when times were good so I can't imagine trying to make a living now in an art field. Plus if you move to Chicago/NYC/California you'll be like every other art school grad from SCAD, RISD, Pratt, etc. scrimping for a job. My cousin went to SCAD, has 40+ grand in debt, lives in NYC, and is just flat BROKE. Stuck in the coolest city with nothing to do because she has barely anything left after bills are paid. She's underpaid for her contract job and is just crossing her fingers at being offered salary. Just getting the contract job took a year of working as a waitress/bartender in Manhattan.

So remember those loans will follow you everywhere, and I've seen what happens when you don't pay (554 credit score, bill collectors calling every day). I have 30k of debt and my monthly payments are $368. So double that I guess and if you can stomach paying that much or more a month go for it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

mutata posted:

This is terrible advice unless you are incredibly self-motivated. All you're going to get with a AA from a community college is training in how to use the creative suite. As someone who reviews resumes constantly I can tell you I have never once seen a hirable candidate with that background because they're simply lovely designers who have obviously never given any thought to theory.

So please take that advice with a huge grain of salt. The only way you'll ever become a good designer by doing that is if you spend the equivalent of 4 years in art school working on your own time. Your portfolio is what gets you a job, not a degree. That's why people coming out of these really great design programs don't have problems finding jobs – you basically can't graduate from SVA or MICA with a lovely portfolio, as if your work is that bad you won't be passing classes.

That all being said, MICA has a great program. We've hired two people from there and I've always been blown away by the quality of student work coming out of there. They also have some pretty fantastic teachers. The girl sitting next to me right this minute went there actually!

I also have a friend doing her masters at SVA at the moment, they have an amazing program... assuming you can get in. Learning from the likes of Sagmeister and loving Milton Glaser (!) is something you simply will not get anywhere else.

RISD also puts out great folks, we hired someone from there once. SCAD is a degree factory, as is Full Sail – avoid them.

e: If you're talented you can probably snag some scholarships and/or tuition breaks at some of these schools.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 8, 2013

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

kedo posted:

This is terrible advice unless you are incredibly self-motivated. All you're going to get with a AA from a community college is training in how to use the creative suite. As someone who reviews resumes constantly I can tell you I have never once seen a hirable candidate with that background because they're simply lovely designers who have obviously never given any thought to theory.

So please take that advice with a huge grain of salt. The only way you'll ever become a good designer by doing that is if you spend the equivalent of 4 years in art school working on your own time. Your portfolio is what gets you a job, not a degree.

Yes, this is my whole point. The work you do gets you a job (that and luck),not your degree. You seemed to think I was recommending getting an AA in design or something. I was thinking just a general education degree to make you a more well-rounded individual. You also seem to think that if you earn a degree, that must mean you've worked enough to get good and learn how to work. In my experience, that is often the opposite of reality. In my opinion it is dangerous to allow yourself to lean on a school program to teach you motivation, and especially with predatory art schools glad to take the money you don't have and chuck you out he other end.

I guess it's personal, obviously. I'm one of those weird "no debt is good" people, and so to me "I'm just not motivated" is a crap excuse to run up $100000 of debt in the hopes that you'll get a professor to take responsibility for your future for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far away from being anti-school or anti-education. I just hate that it's become accepted for kids to destroy themselves financially because they're told that school is absolutely necessary to achieve your dreams of being an artist. The industry is hard as an rear end to get started in and once you do it doesn't pay well for a long time and is pretty unstable. If you can find a good program at an affordable school (which I was lucky enough to fall into), then yes! Do it! You wont regret school! But an art school because you think you need to go to an art school, no matter the cost? Too big of a gamble for me.

At the end of the day, I only bring it up because the question-asker kept repeating that money was a huge issue.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 9, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I'm primarily a techie/IT professional and my career has mostly followed wires and bleep bloop poo poo. Over the past 2 years I've found myself wanting to be more creative and getting involved in projects where I'm involved in designing for digital signage screens. It's been a slow burn, and I've mostly looked to the internet for basic inspiration regarding layout, type placement, etc.

I feel like I've hit the ceiling on my left heavy brain and I've tasked myself with creating a development plan for my weak right side. I've looked around local night courses and books on Amazon, but I don't really know where to start.

How do I start learning good principles of design in a way that my logical side can process?

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Hey all. I've been working as a journalist for 15 months while finishing a Philosophy degree at a Canadian uni. In that time I've written for a freebie weekly, local periodical and a mag on the east coast.

A few days ago I received an email telling me I'd gotten a job. It was for a startup I applied for months ago and promptly forgot about. Today they told me my rate. I will receive $22 a month for four articles!

Is this a scam, or are they trying to take advantage of my (perceived) naivete? My rate has usually been between 0.10-0.15 cents a word as set by the print pubs I've worked for. The website looks professional, and upon researching the staff, they all come from other seemingly respected publications. There is even an unpaid intern working for them!

Should I ask for more, or should I take the current rate and prod for more later?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

midge posted:

I'm primarily a techie/IT professional and my career has mostly followed wires and bleep bloop poo poo. Over the past 2 years I've found myself wanting to be more creative and getting involved in projects where I'm involved in designing for digital signage screens. It's been a slow burn, and I've mostly looked to the internet for basic inspiration regarding layout, type placement, etc.

I feel like I've hit the ceiling on my left heavy brain and I've tasked myself with creating a development plan for my weak right side. I've looked around local night courses and books on Amazon, but I don't really know where to start.

How do I start learning good principles of design in a way that my logical side can process?

There's actually quite a lot of science in the core principles of visual design. I think a lot of people who subscribe to the "it just feels right" method of design would get a lot of benefit out studying the principles. A book I really like that was recommended to me is Design Basics by Pentak and Lauer. It's a textbook, so feel free to get a used older version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0495500860

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

afgrunden posted:

It might be a dumb idea, but have you looked at Canada? Emily Carr, ACAD, OCAD, York/Sheridan. It's actually cheaper to study up in Canada as a foreign student than to hit up some of those guys.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Disreputable Dog posted:

It might be a dumb idea, but have you looked at Canada? Emily Carr, ACAD, OCAD, York/Sheridan. It's actually cheaper to study up in Canada as a foreign student than to hit up some of those guys.

I suggest this. My entire BA has cost me 12-14K. This includes books and tuition.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

kedo posted:

RISD also puts out great folks, we hired someone from there once. SCAD is a degree factory, as is Full Sail – avoid them.

e: If you're talented you can probably snag some scholarships and/or tuition breaks at some of these schools.

Here is something I need to ask, does SCAD have that low of a reputation? I'm currently thinking of heading off to get an MFA in animation from there, and here is my situation:-

1) I come from a country with ZERO art education, so I mostly taught myself how to draw. but I've noticed that for every advance that I've made theres still alot I need to cover in terms of foundations, colour theory, perspective, etc. so I feel that being in a more focused art environment that I can work harder and better at my art with more facilities and actual constant feedback and take my skills forward.

2) I do not come from an art background, so in order for me to go study art it has to be at the masters level for me to be eligible for a government scholarship, as it is, very few schools have a dedicated Masters in animation, so RISD, Calarts, sheridan, and many other excellent schools are forced off my list of schools since I cant pay for them. so I researched a few and found a few that caught my interest, namely, SVA, USC, and SCAD, and have applied accordingly but I have a strong suspicion that SCAD will be the most likely one that will accept me, also I visted the schools, SVA was ok but their master's degree focus was purely on computer animation with very little theory grounding in drawing and design, USC was impressive in terms of facilities and reputation, and SCAD had a pretty nice facilities but what sold me on applying was an amazing private conversation with one of the professors there who ripped my portfolio to shreds and gave me lots of resources and tutorials to help me out.

3) If I get accepted all tuition is free so debt is not an issue.

So if I get accepted into SCAD's MFA in animation, am I making a big mistake and possibly a career suicide by going there?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Any industrial designers out there needing a job?

We have two full-time ID positions coming open very very soon (one junior/entry level and one senior design position) plus a paid (!) internship. We will also be hiring an interior design intern as well.

I like to keep my internet anonymity so I don't really want to post publicly about where I work, but feel free to PM me for details.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Here is something I need to ask, does SCAD have that low of a reputation? I'm currently thinking of heading off to get an MFA in animation from there, and here is my situation:-

1) I come from a country with ZERO art education, so I mostly taught myself how to draw. but I've noticed that for every advance that I've made theres still alot I need to cover in terms of foundations, colour theory, perspective, etc. so I feel that being in a more focused art environment that I can work harder and better at my art with more facilities and actual constant feedback and take my skills forward.

2) I do not come from an art background, so in order for me to go study art it has to be at the masters level for me to be eligible for a government scholarship, as it is, very few schools have a dedicated Masters in animation, so RISD, Calarts, sheridan, and many other excellent schools are forced off my list of schools since I cant pay for them. so I researched a few and found a few that caught my interest, namely, SVA, USC, and SCAD, and have applied accordingly but I have a strong suspicion that SCAD will be the most likely one that will accept me, also I visted the schools, SVA was ok but their master's degree focus was purely on computer animation with very little theory grounding in drawing and design, USC was impressive in terms of facilities and reputation, and SCAD had a pretty nice facilities but what sold me on applying was an amazing private conversation with one of the professors there who ripped my portfolio to shreds and gave me lots of resources and tutorials to help me out.

3) If I get accepted all tuition is free so debt is not an issue.

So if I get accepted into SCAD's MFA in animation, am I making a big mistake and possibly a career suicide by going there?

I don't really know anything about animation and I doubt you'll get a lot of animation-focused answers here. My suggestion would be to email some people that are actually in the program, ask the admissions counselor or whoever is in charge of graduate admissions and see if they can suggest them. I know a few people who have graduated from there, one of them is a close friend who studied printmaking and he is now very successful, but I think it's mostly due to his work ethic and personality, which he had before going there. But he has always talked highly about his time there - but it's printmaking, not animation.

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
I'm getting out of the military soon and, not wanting to pursue the field that I was involved with (security/law enforcement), I was wondering if I'd have any shot of making it in the field of my passion, which is art. As I browse the few wants ads in my current area for creative jobs, I've noticed that they want at least an AA in some design-related field. What I'm wondering is exactly how much merit does self-taught have in the long run? Does it hold any weight or would it be advisable to pursue a degree while working in order to show art/creative study on a resume? I have taken structured studio courses in the past, am not afraid to have to go back to school, nor is money really an issue, as one of the many benefits of military service is the much-revised Post 9/11 GI Bill, which pays for at least 90% of a Bachelor's degree.

I've noticed that many people believe, both professionally and personally, that a strong portfolio makes a world of difference. Would it worth my while to apply to various locations, provided I have a well-thought out and planned portfolio, despite my lack of the official documentation stating that I went through a degree-granting institution?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

eeboweebo posted:

I'm getting out of the military soon and, not wanting to pursue the field that I was involved with (security/law enforcement), I was wondering if I'd have any shot of making it in the field of my passion, which is art. As I browse the few wants ads in my current area for creative jobs, I've noticed that they want at least an AA in some design-related field. What I'm wondering is exactly how much merit does self-taught have in the long run? Does it hold any weight or would it be advisable to pursue a degree while working in order to show art/creative study on a resume? I have taken structured studio courses in the past, am not afraid to have to go back to school, nor is money really an issue, as one of the many benefits of military service is the much-revised Post 9/11 GI Bill, which pays for at least 90% of a Bachelor's degree.

I've noticed that many people believe, both professionally and personally, that a strong portfolio makes a world of difference. Would it worth my while to apply to various locations, provided I have a well-thought out and planned portfolio, despite my lack of the official documentation stating that I went through a degree-granting institution?

A strong portfolio trumps pretty much everything else, but to get a good entry-level portfolio you either have to be really really talented, or you will pretty much need to have gone to a school where you get different assignments to build your portfolio on.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

GiveUpNed posted:

Hey all. I've been working as a journalist for 15 months while finishing a Philosophy degree at a Canadian uni. In that time I've written for a freebie weekly, local periodical and a mag on the east coast.

A few days ago I received an email telling me I'd gotten a job. It was for a startup I applied for months ago and promptly forgot about. Today they told me my rate. I will receive $22 a month for four articles!

Is this a scam, or are they trying to take advantage of my (perceived) naivete? My rate has usually been between 0.10-0.15 cents a word as set by the print pubs I've worked for. The website looks professional, and upon researching the staff, they all come from other seemingly respected publications. There is even an unpaid intern working for them!

Should I ask for more, or should I take the current rate and prod for more later?
I can't speak to whether this is a scam or not (it really depends on how long those articles are and what they're about) but $22 seems low. And also a weird way to price

Also remember that it is harder to negotiate up once you're working at a given rate. Negotiate before you start. The worst they can do is say no.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

GiveUpNed posted:

To me, a scam implies deception, like if they made promises or claims and then didn't deliver.

This just sounds like a job which pays terribly, in an oversaturated economy of desperate non-unionized applicants.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

To me, a scam implies deception, like if they made promises or claims and then didn't deliver.

This just sounds like a job which pays terribly, in an oversaturated economy of desperate non-unionized applicants.

In Canada most employees are in a union. That said I was just offered a sales job. I'm not taking it. I took the job as I have 0 paid web experience. I'm going back to school for Pr and just was vetted into my local guild. The program I'm applying to is difficult to get in and 30-50% of students in it flunk, but the program has a 90% hiring rate.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2013

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Does anyone here work for a talent agent in nyc or LA? Not necessarily William Morris or ICM, but maybe Talent Works or something similar?

I have some questions.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm going to apply to some gallery shows and they all require me to send in a CD, which is cool. Should I also include my artist statement and CV? Do I print it out or just stick it on the CD?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Shnooks posted:

I'm going to apply to some gallery shows and they all require me to send in a CD, which is cool. Should I also include my artist statement and CV? Do I print it out or just stick it on the CD?

it should be in the call, if it's not you can, but they're probably doing the first cull based on images alone... most places do... but you do need your contact info in there, if they have a separate application form or whatever that's what they want

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have a question. I have a BA in Studio Arts and have been working for 10 years in custom framing and corporate art consulting. My job is pretty secure, but I feel like I want to keep up with technology in case my bosses die in a plane crash or something. It's a small business. In any case, I think I would like to go back to school and pick up some continuing education credits or a certificate of some kind.

I do a lot of Photoshop and run a large format Epson printers as part of my job duties now. I really never use InDesign or Illustrator and because technology wasn't a focus at my college I never learned those programs. I can fake it to a point, but I feel like some actual practice in those programs would be nice.

My question is, would it be worth getting a graphic design certificate that focuses on Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop, or should I go a different direction and do some continuing ed in web design? I taught myself HTML years ago and can fake some CSS; enough to update our company website and my personal site. Which would be better from a career standpoint? I am not getting any younger, and so I think staying on top of technology in some way will help if there is ever a major fire at my workplace.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You can get a good overview of CS5/6 through Lynda tutorials. There's some really great online resources if you want to pick up wed coding like Code School and Code Academy. WebTuts is another plus more Lynda. Honestly I would learn how to properly do a stylesheet and get familiar with JavaScript, HTML 5, and CSS 3 if you want to stay relevant and have a job 10 years from now. You need to get some freelancing/experience under your belt too along with a familiarity with Wordpress and at least read/understand PHP.

That's the web route. Illustrator and InDesign aren't too hard to learn. Web is great if you want to make some extra cash on the side. Web coding isn't hard, but most people just don't want to learn/deal with it so you'll find a lot of work.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010
Hi all, have kind of a weirdo question. Or something not usually covered here.

I'm a Canadian designer (Toronto-based), and I'm wanting to make the leap to a bigger centre, like NY or SF.

I'm squared away, visa-wise since I'm eligible for a TN Visa. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?
It feels like a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation: you want to be on the ground in NY to meet people, to get the job. But I'd like to have a job to get on the ground.

Any thoughts?

Disreputable Dog fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 31, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

How do you have a TN visa without a job? I am currently in the US (although I'm from Mexico so maybe that's different) and I had to get a job offer before I could get the TN.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Chernabog posted:

How do you have a TN visa without a job? I am currently in the US (although I'm from Mexico so maybe that's different) and I had to get a job offer before I could get the TN.

Sorry -- it was a dumb way to phrase it. I'm eligible for a TN visa, as opposed to the regular, $10,000 one. :) I'll edit my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, ok. So first you need to get a job offer. I think for Canadians it is different than for Mexicans, but in my case I had to take the job offer to the Embassy along with a bunch of other papers and I got my visa like a week later. You should check the process online.
From the getting the job offer standpoint, I guess that's up to you. You could get a visitor visa beforehand (If Canadians need one, IDK) just in case you need to go to interviews or meet with people. That's what I did.