Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

piratepilates posted:

Well it could be but that would be rather uninteresting and understandable, I prefer to believe that Rory McGrath is a cheating rear end in a top hat.

Least of things to worry about. He's a chronic drunk, and amusingly (not amusing, at all) he starred in Chelmsford 123, and I and 3 other passer-bys had to stop him harrassing a young (Savile young) girl at Chelmsford train station and make sure he got on the next train Cambridge way. Sue me, Rory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah, well I enjoyed Chelmsford 123.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Trickjaw posted:

Least of things to worry about. He's a chronic drunk, and amusingly (not amusing, at all) he starred in Chelmsford 123, and I and 3 other passer-bys had to stop him harrassing a young (Savile young) girl at Chelmsford train station and make sure he got on the next train Cambridge way. Sue me, Rory!

:stare: drat I just wanted to know he was unhappy or just rude in real life, I didn't want to know that he's apparently a one man Haneke-film.

edit: I've been watching through a lot of episodes of Nevermind the Buzzcocks and as someone who has never lived in Britain, you people have a serious problem with pop groups. It feels like every episode I learn of another lovely boy/girl/mixed group that was just embarassing.

Blue, Take That, E17, Northern Line, Blazin' Squad. Where does it end for you people?

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 15, 2012

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Don't forget Wet wet wet, JLS and McFly!

And of course 1471:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOcpDPGYgVA

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mr Phillby posted:

Don't forget Wet wet wet, JLS and McFly!

And of course 1471:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOcpDPGYgVA

No one has enough time for us to sit here and list them all. There was one group that just consisted of the brothers of a girl in another pop group, they're all probably dead now!

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

piratepilates posted:

edit: I've been watching through a lot of episodes of Nevermind the Buzzcocks and as someone who has never lived in Britain, you people have a serious problem with pop groups. It feels like every episode I learn of another lovely boy/girl/mixed group that was just embarassing.
There was a time from the mid-90s to the early 2000s where it was just an epidemic, pop music was really terrible. Simon Cowell and guys like him were to blame basically.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, well I enjoyed Chelmsford 123.

It was alright, and it's on 4OD in full for anyone who wants to see if they agree with us or not.

It has people pop up that normally only do background stuff too - one of the characters seems to be the go-to soundman for everything on the BBC.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

piratepilates posted:

Blue, Take That, E17, Northern Line, Blazin' Squad. Where does it end for you people?

Shut your whore mouth!

Blue were amazing :swoon:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Rarity posted:

Shut your whore mouth!

"We've all got little pricks"

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Hoops posted:

There was a time from the mid-90s to the early 2000s where it was just an epidemic, pop music was really terrible. Simon Cowell and guys like him were to blame basically.

The glut only really ended because X-Factor let them do it much more efficiently. Note how much more quickly than America we switched to that format over the individual singers-only Idol.

Also the best/worst group were S-Club 7, who had their own tv show, the first episode of which involved them going to America and being forced to play corny, safe tunes for an evil hotel owner, only to break free and shock all the squares with their fresh new sounds, and I can only imagine how many weeks the writers must have spent searching for a song corny enough to make S-Club sound rebellious.

(It was Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round That Old Oak Tree how do I remember this poo poo?)

edit: It's on youtube of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwyVsGAW9KU

Sargeant Biffalot fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 15, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rarity posted:

Shut your whore mouth!

correction: Lee Ryan's twitter meltdowns are amazing

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

When did BBC show Flight 666? It doesn't seem to be on iplayer anymore.

What was the wrestling documentary called?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Junkenstein posted:

What was the wrestling documentary called?

When Wrestling was Golden: Grapples, Grunts and Grannies

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

The glut only really ended because X-Factor let them do it much more efficiently. Note how much more quickly than America we switched to that format over the individual singers-only Idol.

Also the best/worst group were S-Club 7, who had their own tv show, the first episode of which involved them going to America and being forced to play corny, safe tunes for an evil hotel owner, only to break free and shock all the squares with their fresh new sounds, and I can only imagine how many weeks the writers must have spent searching for a song corny enough to make S-Club sound rebellious.

(It was Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round That Old Oak Tree how do I remember this poo poo?)

Hahahaha I forgot that existed. Me and my sister genuinely used to watch that when we were like 10. What an absurd concept.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cheers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jonnty posted:

Hahahaha I forgot that existed. Me and my sister genuinely used to watch that when we were like 10. What an absurd concept.

There was a similar show for another band called "No Sweat". I don't think it did quite so well!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That wrestling doc's great. Man, Big Daddy was poo poo.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Taear posted:

There was a similar show for another band called "No Sweat". I don't think it did quite so well!

I could never understand why our mum objected to us watching Miami 7 than any other show. I do now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

piratepilates posted:

:stare: drat I just wanted to know he was unhappy or just rude in real life, I didn't want to know that he's apparently a one man Haneke-film.

Thankfully that terrible terrible era forced me to look into other music, and lucky for me my old man and mum have some pretty awesome taste.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Taear posted:

I happened to look that up just two days ago, the band (North and South) just came to the front of my mind as I was thinking about the crap on TV as a kid. The first series did OK and got the band in the charts I think. Second pretty much sunk though.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

piratepilates posted:

They also used to have a regular write in spot in Viz comic for people who had spotted him wobbling around Cambridge, Essex, or London. I recall one letter asserted that he pissed all over the correspondant in a urinal because he said something derogatory about his perm.

My letter didn't get published :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

That wrestling doc's great. Man, Big Daddy was poo poo.

When you're that massive, will anyone on Earth actually tell you you're poo poo to your face?

Plus his intended use was to get a reaction from the crowd. And he certainly did that.

I mean, one of the biggest matches in British wrestling history, Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks, was just two gigantic men bumping off each other.

EA-SY EA-SY EA-SY

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
What did everyone think of The Hour finale then? I wonder if they will do another series.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

You shut your whore mouth, S Club 7 were angels and could do no wrong :mad:

Hannah was my favourite :allears:

S-Club 7 was also one of the few groups that were popular enough to make it over the Atlantic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
S Club 7 gave the world Rachel Stevens and Hannah Spearritt, and for that their musical crimes can be forgiven.

Edit: the low point of the British music scene with respect of boy bands/girl groups, and this is beyond all debate, was the brief career of Vanilla.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 15, 2012

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"No sales, no sales."

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pablo Bluth posted:

S Club 7 gave the world Rachel Stevens and Hannah Spearritt, and for that their musical crimes can be forgiven.

Edit: the low point of the British music scene with respect of boy bands/girl groups, and this is beyond all debate, was the brief career of Vanilla.

Watch Primeval if you want to see Hannah Spearit running around in her knickers quite often.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Metrication posted:

What did everyone think of The Hour finale then? I wonder if they will do another series.

That wasn't the finale, that's next Wednesday

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I met Hannah from S Club 7 once and she was so lovely :(

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how would one watch something on 4OD if they don't live in England? I want to watch that Brian Gittins thing.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4funnies/episode-guide/series-3/episode-1

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

thehustler posted:

Whaaaaat holy poo poo that made me miserable. I just ended up drunkenly chain smoking and yelling at the telly going "NO HECTOR AND MARNIE WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" followed by "NO RANDALL BE NICE TO LIX WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" and "NOOOO BEL HELP FREDDIE AAAAAAAA"; it was deeply distressing however the many ales probably helped it be so relentlessly upsetting.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bloodbath posted:

I met Hannah from S Club 7 once and she was so lovely :(

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how would one watch something on 4OD if they don't live in England? I want to watch that Brian Gittins thing.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4funnies/episode-guide/series-3/episode-1

She always seemed like the nicest one by far, like it was kind of her thing.

As for watching 4OD outside of the UK, I'm not sure, but I think the program Tunnelbear might help you. I've used it (as a UK person) to access US only content, I assume it may work the other way round too

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So was 15 Stone Babies originally a Channel 5 documentary that they decided to not show? I'm getting serious carfucker/boy-with-an-arse-for-a-face vibe from it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

How does Angus Deayton keep getting work? He's not particularly bad at anything but he's just...there. He can't say anything that really comes out funny, he can't seem to deliver any line with any emotion what so ever, he doesn't come up with anything on the spot either. I'm sure he's quite good at doing things in as few takes as possible but surely there's someone out there who can do that while also coming off as more than a granite slab.

Like you watch the new Would I Lie to You with Rob Brydon presenting and go back and watch Deayton present it and it's like night and day, Brydon can actually read lines with some feeling and come up with things on the spot and be funny.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

thehustler posted:

BBC website is listing the episode from Thursday just there as the finale.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

piratepilates posted:

How does Angus Deayton keep getting work? He's not particularly bad at anything but he's just...there. He can't say anything that really comes out funny, he can't seem to deliver any line with any emotion what so ever, he doesn't come up with anything on the spot either. I'm sure he's quite good at doing things in as few takes as possible but surely there's someone out there who can do that while also coming off as more than a granite slab.

Like you watch the new Would I Lie to You with Rob Brydon presenting and go back and watch Deayton present it and it's like night and day, Brydon can actually read lines with some feeling and come up with things on the spot and be funny.

I think people hire him out of guilt.

Also, going back to the QI question about who gets the questions in advance: Don't you guys think that Bill Bailey really knows a lot. Like more than he should. But maybe he's just genuinely interested in biology (that's where it's really clear) like David Mitchell is with history.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bill Bailey is just a pretty smart guy, really.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

thehustler posted:

The one shown on Thursday is :)

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

The UK 'bands' vs US singers thing goes back decades though. Look at the top selling music artists ever - ignoring Elton John, the three UK ones are all bands and the US ones are all solo artists. It's just the way we've been.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Metrication posted:

The one shown on Thursday is :)

Whaaaaat the gently caress I totally missed that! Why did they do two consecutive days?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Bill Bailey is just a pretty smart guy, really.

Yeah, to me Bill Bailey just comes off as knowing a bunch of interesting things really.