Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Nam Taf posted:

I'm looking at buying an Android phone for my father for christmas. Coming from the world of Apple, this poo poo's overwhelmingly confusing.

I know he wants a small phone, so I was trying to hit approximately iphone size. I have found the Sony Xperia P and it looks like it runs ICS and apparently will get Jellybean in the future. Can anyone :words: about it for me?

On that point, is future availability of upgrades a big thing? I've grown used to just knowing I'll get 3 or so years of upgrades out of Apple but I don't know how Android phones fare given that as I understand, the manufacturer has to do the upgrade not Google.

Also, are there any others that I should look at, at around the same form factor? Ideally I'd go for bigger icons than the Xperia P but without an increase in screen size if that's possible. Dad's got big hands (he's 6'4) but he hates big phones so I wanted to stick with something a little smaller.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

It sounds like you are looking for an Android phone that is a clone of an iphone, just get him an iphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of clones of phones, here's what I just did to my Galaxy Nexus:

The launcher is Launcher 8. It's pretty awesome. I got Segoe WP to be the default font by flashing the zip from this XDA thread.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 16, 2012

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Arcsech posted:

Ask in the Android Phone Thread and you'll probably get some better advice.

I thought I had but I'm clearly retarded, sorry about that!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

lelandjs posted:

Speaking of clones of phones, here's what I just did to my Galaxy Nexus:

The launcher is Launcher 8. It's pretty awesome. I got Segoe WP to be the default font by flashing the zip from this XDA thread.

does launcher 8 run kind of slow for you? its stutters alot on my galaxy S3

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Ignore this. Awful app dumped a reply into the wrong thread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Oh my god it did it again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rolleyes posted:

Just quoting you to (hopefully) bring this post to your attention. I think I've found a bit of an issue in the new version of the app. When it refreshes the news feed, it brings in new posts but doesn't appear to update the comments/likes for posts which are already present on the feed.

For example, what happened just now was I went back into the app after not having had it open for a while and it refreshed. New posts appeared, old posts appeared to have the same number of comments/likes. I actually opened an old post and suddenly there were extra comments and likes. After closing that post the news feed then had the correct counts for comments and likes on that post.

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with actually pulling the data down, or whether the data is received but the UI isn't updated for some reason.

UK Samsung Galaxy S2, unbranded, not rooted, running Android 4.0.4.

Yeah, it's a temporary limitation of how the feed update model works. Annoys me too.

Delete and other secondary actions will be back, certainly. Moving to a native model requires that every action get a wire-safe API, basically, where it could just use the same paths as www before. We're just getting started.

The blog isn't a great feedback channel, I don't think. S/N is all wrong. Fine to quote-flag at me here, especially for core app/mobile-site stuff, I'll fwd where it seems productive.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Thanks for the info - good to know that it's known about.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

The app preserves your shuffle setting, this is how every PC music player since EVER has done it too. Don't know why you would want it to constantly forget settings.

Sorry I have a different preference than you? I didn't say anything about it forgetting settings. I'm asking it to do something entirely different than what it was, I'm asking it to change settings. Choosing to shuffle all of your songs is a fairly common thing, but so is wanting to just listen to an album in order.

And keep in mind that comparing how an app works to a computer music program is silly. Every computer music program typically has it's controls right there in plain view. If I want to turn off shuffle, I can do so easily before playing the new album. In Google Music, these are all on different screens. It doesn't matter if "every PC music player since EVER" has done it that way, they have interfaces that make it easy to change.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Well, if it's any consolation, "shuffle" doesn't actually shuffle the play order very much. It's hilariously bugged.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My old rear end grandmother bought an HTC Desire without telling anyone and the phone is too small and sensitive for her hosed up shaky old lady fingers.

Are there any accessibility apps or options to replace the phone and messaging stuff with something with simple giant buttons?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oh hey, remember Solid Explorer? The one decent file manager on Android?

Good news: It's out of beta. Bad news: It's gone to 14-day trialware, so if that bothers you this is your heads-up. The unlock is a whopping two dollars, though, and in my estimate that's a steal.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Good news: It's out of beta. Bad news: It's gone to 14-day trialware, so if that bothers you this is your heads-up. The unlock is a whopping two dollars, though, and in my estimate that's a steal.

Hmm, I've been using Total Commander for two paned file managing goodness but it seems this one is a bit more feature rich. Will try it out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lessthankyle posted:

Every computer music program typically has it's controls right there in plain view. If I want to turn off shuffle, I can do so easily before playing the new album. In Google Music, these are all on different screens. It doesn't matter if "every PC music player since EVER" has done it that way, they have interfaces that make it easy to change.

You mean like right next to the play/pause, previous song, and next song buttons, like the Play Music app has? You're right, that's pretty difficult to find and I'd much prefer if the app randomly reset the shuffle setting when I wasn't looking.

Thoom posted:

Well, if it's any consolation, "shuffle" doesn't actually shuffle the play order very much. It's hilariously bugged.

Now this is a reasonable gripe! I think the bugginess of it is that it shuffles with replacement, so you can hit the same song frequently depending on how small the "shuffled" batch of music is. I haven't noticed shuffling issues besides that, but it'll obviously be pretty dumb when you're shuffling like a single album. It would be super easy for Google to switch so it shuffles without replacement, but Google :effort:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

RVProfootballer posted:

Now this is a reasonable gripe! I think the bugginess of it is that it shuffles with replacement, so you can hit the same song frequently depending on how small the "shuffled" batch of music is. I haven't noticed shuffling issues besides that, but it'll obviously be pretty dumb when you're shuffling like a single album. It would be super easy for Google to switch so it shuffles without replacement, but Google :effort:

It's even worse because one of the google engineers who works on the project basically said "It's not bugged! That's our implementation of shuffle!" which is just loving :psyduck:

Although I think it's gotten significantly better after one of the (semi) recent updates, right? I'm pretty sure it creates a randomly-sorted list of songs to play when you hit the shuffle button now. At least, that's what it does when you shuffle a playlist. You can actually see what song is next before you hit the button now.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm pretty sure it also shuffles the songs after the current song and the songs before the current song separately. So if I have a playlist of 50 songs, and I start playing track #40, the next 10 songs will always be picked from the pool of #41-50.

The only thing more absurd than Google's shuffle implementation is the fact that Subsonic manages to do it worse.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Awful Betamax has been acting funny

Also not loading pics / urls like it was

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Awful Betamax has been acting funny

Also not loading pics / urls like it was

Usually just hitting the refresh button fixes this issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Geektox posted:

Hmm, I've been using Total Commander for two paned file managing goodness but it seems this one is a bit more feature rich. Will try it out.
Actually I'm in the invite-only beta for the next version of EStrong's and while I preferred the last version of ES to Solid, I definitely think the new one is a good step in the right direction. It looks good, much less convoluted than Solid but not as clean as the new Astro. It's only at the first beta release so there are a few more weeks and months to go before release but even with this early release I'm liking it a lot more than Solid, especially in the way it handles multiple windows. It retains ES's swipe for net/lan/phone but you can easily add or subtract as many windows to that as you go. The functions are a lot better labelled and more sensibly laid out compared to Solid but there are a few areas of UI clutter.

Overall I can't help but say that the best file browser just got a lot better, can't wait for them to get it ready for release.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Actually I'm in the invite-only beta for the next version of EStrong's and while I preferred the last version of ES to Solid, I definitely think the new one is a good step in the right direction. It looks good, much less convoluted than Solid but not as clean as the new Astro. It's only at the first beta release so there are a few more weeks and months to go before release but even with this early release I'm liking it a lot more than Solid, especially in the way it handles multiple windows. It retains ES's swipe for net/lan/phone but you can easily add or subtract as many windows to that as you go. The functions are a lot better labelled and more sensibly laid out compared to Solid but there are a few areas of UI clutter.

Overall I can't help but say that the best file browser just got a lot better, can't wait for them to get it ready for release.

How do you get invited for that?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

fuf posted:

My old rear end grandmother bought an HTC Desire without telling anyone and the phone is too small and sensitive for her hosed up shaky old lady fingers.

Are there any accessibility apps or options to replace the phone and messaging stuff with something with simple giant buttons?

I've never tried it before, but Big Launcher looks like it'd be great for both seniors and vision-impaired people.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

You mean like right next to the play/pause, previous song, and next song buttons, like the Play Music app has? You're right, that's pretty difficult to find and I'd much prefer if the app randomly reset the shuffle setting when I wasn't looking.

It actually fades away from view, so no, it's not right there. And it has nothing to do with not looking, it's after very explicitly going to a new album, pressing the menu button for it, and hitting play. You seem pretty upset that I prefer something different.

It's not that upsetting to desire: Open Play Music > Go To Album > Play and have it play the album from start to finish in order, regardless of what it was doing before. If you didn't leave the app on the current song screen, it's just an added annoying step.

Thoom posted:

I used to notice this a lot more in early versions, but it seems to have gotten slightly better. Or I've just gotten used to it.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 17, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

gucci mangosteen posted:

I've never tried it before, but Big Launcher looks like it'd be great for both seniors and vision-impaired people.

drat, that looks perfect, thanks so much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do you get invited for that?
I think at this point you can't. I can't remember where it was but they asked people interested in trying it out to email them and I did. Then months and months later I got an invite to the secret clubhouse. They didn't say I couldn't talk about it but they did ask me to not share the betas.

They apparently really need to work on getting it tablet ready because the majority of the complaints are regarding that and there seem to be some crashes here and there but honestly if they just fix the issues I'd be perfectly happy to replace the current ES with this one without any other additions.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Any recommendation for a "Find Friends" type app that works on both Android and iPhone? I need my wife to be able to request my GPS location and stalk me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dema posted:

Any recommendation for a "Find Friends" type app that works on both Android and iPhone? I need my wife to be able to request my GPS location and stalk me.
My wife and I use Latitude for this.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

When I looked at Latitude earlier, it seemed like I had to publish my location. That she couldn't just request it ad-hoc. Am I misunderstanding?

Need to have her be able to see where I am when I'm off riding my bike.

Thanks.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The only option i can think of is also an incredibly snoopy one. If you and your wife trust eachother explicitly enough, you can use cerberus. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING is accessible. Text message logs, call logs, it can get really creepy really fast. If you use Cerberus, don't blame me for your divorce.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dema posted:

When I looked at Latitude earlier, it seemed like I had to publish my location. That she couldn't just request it ad-hoc. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.life360.android.safetymapd
We use this it works pretty well and you can even access the info from a PC.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

dema posted:

My wife and I use Glympse to see her commute home. She normally Glympses me but I think I can request a Glympse of her.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm not super-familiar with the in's and out's of iOS but I'm told that iMessage will cobble together messages from SMS and iMessage (their IM service) into one thread for each contact. Is there anything on Android that can do that? I recall that when I was on HTC Sense you could go into the Contacts app and under a contact's listing you could see recent messages from them.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
It seems like Mightytext doesn't recognize contacts I added after I installed it. Is there an easy way to resync them?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dema posted:

Thanks.
You can request, either via the web or through another smartphone, a check in (which would be at a business or landmark) but as soon as you open the app to do so, your exact location appears on the map even if you decline to check in to a nearby business.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

metachronos posted:

It seems like Mightytext doesn't recognize contacts I added after I installed it. Is there an easy way to resync them?

In the Settings page (link in the top right of the MightyText page) there's options at the bottom to link with your Google contacts or to Refresh Contact from Phone

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

I'm not super-familiar with the in's and out's of iOS but I'm told that iMessage will cobble together messages from SMS and iMessage (their IM service) into one thread for each contact. Is there anything on Android that can do that? I recall that when I was on HTC Sense you could go into the Contacts app and under a contact's listing you could see recent messages from them.

Maybe I'm being dense, but what are you asking to be combined in one view? It's not like Android phones receive iMessages, they just come through as MMS.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Apparently instead of a sale they're doing daily "deals" on the Play store

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sirbeefalot posted:

Maybe I'm being dense, but what are you asking to be combined in one view? It's not like Android phones receive iMessages, they just come through as MMS.

Well, you could have whatsapp, Facebook, gtalk.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

sirbeefalot posted:

Sorry, SMS and Gtalk at the very least. Basically I'd like to have one place to go to view message threads instead of trying to remember which service a conversation took place in and having to go to that app.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Swiftkey Flow is having some issues with predictions. Certain letters, such as B and C, aren't giving me any predictions when I first type them. Only the letter shows up as a suggestion and they need at least a second letter before working correctly. It's also giving me a massive amount of things that I've had to remove from the dictionary such as "le", "ce", and other non-words that are screwing things up.

Last time it was an easy fix, there was just a new language pack to download. This time it says I'm up to date so I'm at a loss.

While I'm on the subject, why does it let me delete certain words and not others? Just while typing it it's given me "cert", "pa", and "lo" instead of suggesting sensible things like certain or loss. It doesn't give me the option to delete them though to avoid the problem in the future. This entire prediction system is hosed compared to what I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

Swiftkey Flow

You should post this up on their forum too, it is a beta after all.

• Locked thread