Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

The fact that it won't run on rooted phones is an absolute bullshit move. Their game isn't more important than any of the apps I have that require root, and I'll take Titanium Backup over a cashgrab game any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
When the Battle.net authenticator told me it wouldn't work on a rooted phone, I just set su to deny it root access. Maybe that would work here?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
In Puzzle & Dragons I started to run up against a cash shortage pretty quickly, as well. Not sure if you can get money with IAP, or boost it somehow. But instead, I just sold the rare monster they give you at the beginning of the game. Gave a ton of cash. You need the money to level up and evolve your monsters, so it was well worth it for me. I prefer to build up from the beginning anyway rather than using the high-level monsters games like this sometimes give you.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Poopy Palpy posted:

When the Battle.net authenticator told me it wouldn't work on a rooted phone, I just set su to deny it root access. Maybe that would work here?

Fortunately this isn't even an issue anymore, it doesn't bitch at all about rooted phones (The B.net authenticator, that is.)

greatrambino
May 7, 2007
Just got an email that my MOGA controller has shipped! After the fiasco of trying to get that ordered yesterday I am really surprised it went through. Hopefully it shos up before my work holiday starts.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kaninrail posted:

The fact that it won't run on rooted phones is an absolute bullshit move. Their game isn't more important than any of the apps I have that require root, and I'll take Titanium Backup over a cashgrab game any day.

Exactly. It's especially stupid if the game has IAP. You can let me play on my rooted phone and there's at least still a chance I'll buy some poo poo, or you can tell me I can't root it and I DEFINITELY won't give you any money, because I can't . I either just won't play your game or I'll find a cracked copy.

Either way, you just ensured you don't see a dime from me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poopy Palpy posted:

That never worked. There seems to be a difference between asking for root access and being denied, and the root access request just straight-up failing.

And it was never actually true that it "wouldn't work on a rooted device". It used to ask for root access, yes, but only so that it could display a warning message. And even if you denied it access, it could still tell that you were rooted and the message was displayed anyway.

It's different now since the authenticator doesn't check root. A good move.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Anyone mentioned Clay Jam? It's a Katamari-ish game where you roll a ball down the hill and steer it by digging groves in the hill's clay surface. You roll up small clay monsters so that then you can roll up big clay monsters.

The game's pretty fun for a 5-10 minute diversion, and the graphics are really neat and pretty, mostly made from sprites of clayimation.

Note: It is from Zynga (:argh:), but their evilness doesn't really permiate it. It's free to play, and there is a in app purchase option, but I haven't really felt compelled to buy in game currency yet. The game makes it easy enough to earn it through standard gameplay. And there's not a social aspect, so you aren't expected to harass your friends to help you or anything. I was actually a bit surprised after playing it the first time to see the Zynga logo on the game's icon, since it feels like a regular game rather than a carefully engineered cash-grab.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 15, 2012

greatrambino
May 7, 2007

TVarmy posted:

Anyone mentioned Clay Jam? It's a Katamari-ish game where you roll a ball down the hill and steer it by digging groves in the hill's clay surface. You roll up small clay monsters so that then you can roll up big clay monsters.

The game's pretty fun for a 5-10 minute diversion, and the graphics are really neat and pretty, mostly made from photos of clayimation.

Downloaded this about an hour ago. It is a cute little game. Not intrusive at all. I can almost smell the clay while playing.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Earlier I tried to get Vice City on my Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Vice City wasn't listed through the Google Play app, so I decided to find it through the Chrome browser. I was able to find Vice City through the browser, but a little error message to the left column of the screen said that my phone was not compatible with the phone.

I was all hyped too because before release the Rockstar webpage said it would support Note 2. Hopefully within a few weeks they'll get it to work. I haven't downloaded any game yet, and was hoping to have at least one.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

greatrambino posted:

Just got an email that my MOGA controller has shipped! After the fiasco of trying to get that ordered yesterday I am really surprised it went through. Hopefully it shos up before my work holiday starts.

What's the first four digits of your order number? I'm sitting at 3994***-* and my order is still processing in the "Credit Pending" phase after using a debit card.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

SlayVus posted:

What's the first four digits of your order number? I'm sitting at 3994***-* and my order is still processing in the "Credit Pending" phase after using a debit card.

Edit, misread.

But I hope it ships soon, I paid for 3 day shopping. And I know free, gift horse, all that, but this would be a seriously awesome addition to my Christmas presents for the bf.

greatrambino
May 7, 2007

SlayVus posted:

3987***** so hopefully it works out soon for you.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SlayVus posted:

3991 and just got my email an hour and a half ago. Any second for you now!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

ijii posted:

Earlier I tried to get Vice City on my Tmobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Vice City wasn't listed through the Google Play app, so I decided to find it through the Chrome browser. I was able to find Vice City through the browser, but a little error message to the left column of the screen said that my phone was not compatible with the phone.

I was all hyped too because before release the Rockstar webpage said it would support Note 2. Hopefully within a few weeks they'll get it to work. I haven't downloaded any game yet, and was hoping to have at least one.

Rockstar said they're working on this. Not sure what the Hell the compatibility issues may be, but I've heard they've been struggling on certain devices, which is great to hear because that can only mean they will focus on bugfixing for their current releases instead of opening up to more devices. In any case, if your device has been listed as compatible, but you are unable to download it, it is probably just temporarily frozen to reduce the number of complaints and reduce liability for people paying for a product they can barely run.

That said, there are plenty of videos of the game running fine on your phone model, so have hope.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I find it odd that while Vice City runs close to buttery smooth with the default settings on my Galaxy Nexus, any attempt to turn down the settings (ie turning off shadows, reducing effects quality) actually makes it run quite a bit worse.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

ijii posted:

I'm using the note 2 and am playing vice city

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

cash posted:

I'm using the note 2 and am playing vice city

How did you manage to buy it if the market says it's incompatible?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How did you manage to buy it if the market says it's incompatible?

They probably didn't realize it wouldn't work on his device until after releasing it to the world, and upon seeing complaints disabled that particular device from their developer settings.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: nevermind.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 15, 2012

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I can't get Vice City to download onto my N7 - it's just sat there at the 'downloading additional file' screen. I've tried clearing the store's data and rebooting, but no dice. Any ideas?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
You probably do, but do you have more than enough free space to install the game, including some excess free space for the install to unpack the files? In my experience I've noticed that the additional data downloads won't even start if you don't have enough.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Star Command is getting a limited release in January: http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/15/3769916/star-command-prepped-release-steam-greenlight

Jesus Christ.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Skeezy posted:

Star Command is getting a limited release in January: http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/15/3769916/star-command-prepped-release-steam-greenlight

Jesus Christ.

The fact that they have been in development so long and still isn't confident in the stability of their game is pretty crazy. And they even called out another developer that has shipped multiple games and is actually responsive to their fans, that's real classy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Geektox posted:

The fact that they have been in development so long and still isn't confident in the stability of their game is pretty crazy. And they even called out another developer that has shipped multiple games and is actually responsive to their fans, that's real classy.

Eh, I guess it's a bit lovely since it makes Nimblebit look bad, but it's a good point. With a game like Star Command I'd rather not put a bunch of time into playing it only to get my save hosed up/lost. I see no problem with this release schedule. Delays happen.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Geektox posted:

I hate to defend the Star Command dudes, but I'm pretty sure they're talking about the Android Mobage port of Pocket Planes, rather than Nimblebit's native iOS version. Mobage deserves to be called out for sure.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

deadwing posted:

I hate to defend the Star Command dudes, but I'm pretty sure they're talking about the Android Mobage port of Pocket Planes, rather than Nimblebit's native iOS version. Mobage deserves to be called out for sure.

We had a nasty launch bug in the iOS version months before the Android port arrived. Pretty much solely due to iCloud though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Let's be honest, no it isn't.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Whizbang posted:

Let's be honest, no it isn't.

Not without another kickstarter anyways

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pretty hilarious how they're crying about being a small team that has to do bug-fixing, like it's such a unique feature to them.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I've started a new game of Game Dev Story and loving hell this is the fourth time in a row someone's "released a similar game."

:argh:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

You probably do, but do you have more than enough free space to install the game, including some excess free space for the install to unpack the files? In my experience I've noticed that the additional data downloads won't even start if you don't have enough.

Hey, you're right. Wiping out a few old bits and bobs got rid of that little issue right away - I'm amazed that there's a filesize check that warns about downloading massive titles over 3G, but not one that'll actually make sure it'll fit onto your device.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't the difference between Pocket Planes and Star Command that we didn't collect a bunch of money from people and promise them stuff way before the game was done? :rolleyes:

*edit* Doing a soft launch is a good idea though if you have many unknown / first time elements in your game.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 16, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Casull posted:

I've started a new game of Game Dev Story and loving hell this is the fourth time in a row someone's "released a similar game."

:argh:
Complaining about a Kairosoft game which has too many similar games occurring during your playthrough?

JeebusMcChrist
Nov 22, 2012
Not sure how helpful this will be, but I just bought and downloaded Vice City on my rooted Kindle Fire running stock ROM of 4.1.2, and it runs very smooth. I've got the screen res set to 80%, and everything including shadows on and set to high. When it rains, it lags a bit at first, but the lag dissipates in a few seconds.

The port itself is well done - I'd say it works way better than GTA III does on this particular device.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How do I gift a game on Play now that the whole wishlist and gift cards thing is out? How do I see my friends' wishlists? Tis the season and all that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good sports management game available for Android? Something like iOOTP?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a good sports management game available for Android? Something like iOOTP?

You didn't mention which sports you like, but Football Manager Handheld 2012 and 2013 are good if you like FM. They're not as full featured as the more recent PC versions, but they're comparable to the early 2000s versions.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Splizwarf posted:

How do I gift a game on Play now that the whole wishlist and gift cards thing is out? How do I see my friends' wishlists? Tis the season and all that.
I don't believe public wishlists and gifting apps have actually been implemented on the Play store yet. You can't even share your wishlist to Facebook etc like you can for individual apps for some reason.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Survivalcraft updated the other day and now includes electrics. Specifically, it now includes AND, OR and NOT gates which can be linked to a variety of things such as doors and lamps as outputs and switches and levers as inputs, as well as a delay gate which can be chained to create various signal delays.

Additionally, there's also what the creator has called an S/R gate. This is a 1-bit memory with 3 inputs (set, reset and clock) and 1 output. You could build this out of the other components but having a specific block for it saves a lot of time / space. S/R gate state persists even when you quit the game and reload your save game.

Anyway, the upshot is that you can now build fully operational, clocked logic circuits relatively easily. In a game. On your phone. :psyduck:

• Locked thread