Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TalonDemonKing posted:

Being Defensive was the best strategy for sanctuary Guardian. Greatshield of Atorias pretty much trivialized the fight.

If you have 34 strength yes the greatshield of artorias will trivialize pretty much anything. Two handing is still faster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I'm just dropping in to say that Sen's Fortress is a load of rear end. That is all.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

- The blades are way easier to dodge if you pay attention to the cracked paths and tilt the camera forwards.

- You can parry the serpents and they aren't great against combustion/fireball pyromancies.

- Be mindful of the arrow traps, you can use them to kill serpents easily.

- The fireball giant doesn't respawn, so bumrush him immediately.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

well why not posted:

Cadaceus is a better Hollow Soldier shield, right? I know it's ligher and has better stats (and more swag).

I'm currently up to gathering Lord Souls. I've got the bonfires for warping to Duke's Archive and the Tomb of The Giants, but find it hard to get motivated to fight those brick walls of HP. I much prefer the sightseeing and exploring to the run to boss room > die rigmarole.

I've got my Claymore to Lighting + 2. How much different would + 4 be to +2? I'm not averse to fighting a stack of guardians for Chunks...

Seathe is really easy, and honestly the weapon you use against him doesn't matter too much. The single best method to fighting him is to:

1: Max out your curse resist. That takes priority over everything else.
2: Sprint for the thing you're supposed to destroy, and destroy it. Then deal with Seathe.
3: Chill by the tentacles to either side, which is the safest place to be as far as I've found. As long as you hug the tentacles, you'll be safe from the regular curse field attack, but not the larger curse field.
4: Only get hits in while you know you are completely safe. You don't want to be caught off guard by the larger curse field, believe me.
5: Keep your shield up whenever you aren't attacking.

That's my guide to beating him at least. I suggest getting the Bloodshield in the Painted World for extra curse resist. The first time I went in with the antiquated set and some random shield, and it was a joke. The second time I went in with full Havel (minus shield) and Bloodshield, which was a little bit harder since my swings would sometimes miss.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Seathe is really easy, and honestly the weapon you use against him doesn't matter too much. The single best method to fighting him is to:

1: Max out your curse resist. That takes priority over everything else.
2: Sprint for the thing you're supposed to destroy, and destroy it. Then deal with Seathe.
3: Chill by the tentacles to either side, which is the safest place to be as far as I've found. As long as you hug the tentacles, you'll be safe from the regular curse field attack, but not the larger curse field.
4: Only get hits in while you know you are completely safe. You don't want to be caught off guard by the larger curse field, believe me.
5: Keep your shield up whenever you aren't attacking.

That's my guide to beating him at least. I suggest getting the Bloodshield in the Painted World for extra curse resist. The first time I went in with the antiquated set and some random shield, and it was a joke. The second time I went in with full Havel (minus shield) and Bloodshield, which was a little bit harder since my swings would sometimes miss.

The best method for fighting Seathe is to pop Power Within and toss Great Fireballs (Chaos Fireballs or Fire Orbs if you run out of those).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I actually disagree, I think that strategy makes a number of bosses easier. I count among them the Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Sanctuary Guardian, Iron Golem, Super Ornstein, Seath(yep), and Nito.

edit: Also Power Within is probably better than blossoms.

The only reason you need to be hyper aggressive against 4 kings is because they are a DPS race that punishes you for taking slightly to long. You can take as long as you need against every other boss because there is no time limit, and it if you're focused on winning then being cautious is always better than pure aggression. It only makes them easier because you're at the point where you know their attacks and can dodge them properly. A new player trying that against almost every boss will fail miserably.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Guide to fighting Seath:

1. Strip naked.
2. Two-hand your weapon of choice.
3. Keep strafing and hitting him in the rear end. Go for the tail. All he will do is turn repeatedly to face you.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dreggon posted:

Guide to fighting Seath:

1. Strip naked.
2. Two-hand your weapon of choice.
3. Keep strafing and hitting him in the rear end. Go for the tail. All he will do is turn repeatedly to face you.

This is fun up until he decides to swing his tail around and then you die.

The safest spot is directly in front of him and just a bit to the right. You can easily avoid his swipe attack, he won't do his tentacle/tail attacks, and his laser attack is easy enough to see coming. It also gives you a good position to see when he's about to do his huge area of effect attack that fills half the arena with spikes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The only thing that was challenging about the Seath fight for me was getting the tail, because he likes to shove that thing right through the wall or smash it up and down on the rare occasions it's exposed. It took a bunch of tries to actually get that thing, and then he went down real quick the run when I got the tail. A Great Fireball with a maxed out ascended pyro hand takes off around 1/6 of his HP.

His tail weapon was totally worth it for my Int character, though.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Internet Kraken posted:

The only reason you need to be hyper aggressive against 4 kings is because they are a DPS race that punishes you for taking slightly to long. You can take as long as you need against every other boss because there is no time limit, and it if you're focused on winning then being cautious is always better than pure aggression. It only makes them easier because you're at the point where you know their attacks and can dodge them properly. A new player trying that against almost every boss will fail miserably.

As a new player, trying to be cautious and careful only made the fights longer, giving me more chances to gently caress up and die. When I embraced manmode, the fights became easier because instead of looking for chances to attack and missing them, I took them and it paid off. Sometimes, I'd be wrong, but I would quickly learn the difference because I was actually paying attention to what the boss was doing and not simply turtling and hoping for the best.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Easiest way to get his tail solo is to charge right up to his crystal right at the start, then wait. As soon as he rears back to blast you fulla crystals, start running to his backside tentacle. By the time you reach it, he'll have accidentally shattered his crystal and will be reeling just long enough for you to get in a few good swings, and probably just sever the thing entirely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will say that Seath's discarded tail stump is one of the gnarliest things in the game even though I've only ever properly cut it off once. The dude turns too fast for me and I guess I just don't want it bad enough. v:v:v

EDIT: Also, I always end up dragging a crab shell thing into the fight with me because gently caress stopping to kill them all one by one. Those things are dangerous for how stupidly comical they look.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

They're clams. Look inside one of them one time. Those aren't pearls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cthulhuchan posted:

Easiest way to get his tail solo is to charge right up to his crystal right at the start, then wait. As soon as he rears back to blast you fulla crystals, start running to his backside tentacle. By the time you reach it, he'll have accidentally shattered his crystal and will be reeling just long enough for you to get in a few good swings, and probably just sever the thing entirely.
That's what I was doing, but he had this nasty habit of starting to turn or thrashing his tail right as I reached it, even though he was supposed to be reeling.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Great White Hope! posted:

I'm just dropping in to say that Sen's Fortress is a load of rear end. That is all.

You're adorable :3:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sen's Fortress is pretty much always annoying because even if you've beaten it a dozen times, it's still a huge test of your willpower and patience the first time you run through it with a new character. The lizard enemies are easy to parry/backstab. The blades are easy to run past once you realize you can tilt the camera up and see exactly how much space you have in between. The rocks are easy to not get hit by. The traps are easy to dodge or use to your advantage. And the boss isn't particularly hard.

But gently caress me if I don't die at least once in some completely idiotic way when I'm going around collecting items because I got lazy and forgot about a lizard wizard, or didn't pay enough attention to the blades, or forgot that the boulders reset, etc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Some parts are rough, but I really liked the enemies and setting (nice change after blighttown). The merchant is good AND it has Black Iron Tarkus to basically kill the boss for you. I think it's a cool level.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Going back to the article about Dark Souls II for a moment, I noticed something: they're not "explicitly confirming or denying" a PC release, but FROM promised a PC release a long while back, the demo was played on a laptop, and the DS2 website lists PC next to PS3 and XBox 360.

The website also raises the question of release pacing. If it's not going to see a 2013 release (which sounds like pure speculation on the part of the article's authors based on the assumption that development will continue at a static, linear pace), why does the site list the current gen consoles? Why not just leave it blank and mysterious?

:speculate:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd always figured that those icons were part of licensing agreements between the devs and console makers. That's why you see the exact same PS3, Xbox & Wii icons, while PC has either the block 'PC' text or the windows logo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VDay posted:

Sen's Fortress is pretty much always annoying because even if you've beaten it a dozen times, it's still a huge test of your willpower and patience the first time you run through it with a new character. The lizard enemies are easy to parry/backstab. The blades are easy to run past once you realize you can tilt the camera up and see exactly how much space you have in between. The rocks are easy to not get hit by. The traps are easy to dodge or use to your advantage. And the boss isn't particularly hard.

But gently caress me if I don't die at least once in some completely idiotic way when I'm going around collecting items because I got lazy and forgot about a lizard wizard, or didn't pay enough attention to the blades, or forgot that the boulders reset, etc.

On my most recent run through Sen's I was eaten by the mimic. I knew it was there, I didn't forget about it, something in mind just completely blanked when I walked up to the chest though. I was even thinking to myself "okay I'll run down here and kill the mimic and get the rin- WAIT NO gently caress WHY DID I DO THAT?!?".

I felt pretty silly since I'd never been caught by a mimic before.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

As a character with 30 Faith using Sunlight Blade, Darkmoon Blade and Great Lightning Spear, which Talisman should I use to get the most magic adjust? I've been using the default talisman throughout NG+, just curious if there's anything better.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Going back to the article about Dark Souls II for a moment, I noticed something: they're not "explicitly confirming or denying" a PC release, but FROM promised a PC release a long while back, the demo was played on a laptop, and the DS2 website lists PC next to PS3 and XBox 360.

The website also raises the question of release pacing. If it's not going to see a 2013 release (which sounds like pure speculation on the part of the article's authors based on the assumption that development will continue at a static, linear pace), why does the site list the current gen consoles? Why not just leave it blank and mysterious?

:speculate:

Maybe the next consoles are coming out in winter 2014. There is no official word that they are coming out next year.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I would bet 10 dollars or 1 million souls the Xbox420 and PS:Neqt not coming out till 2014.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'd be incredibly surprised if we get more than fairly broad reveals at E3 2013. E3 2014 we get holiday pricing and launch lineups etc.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gazaar posted:

I'd be incredibly surprised if we get more than fairly broad reveals at E3 2013. E3 2014 we get holiday pricing and launch lineups etc.

According to Bloomberg, the next XBox is coming Q4 2013.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is highly unlikely. Usually the new platform will be revealed at E3 and planned for a release in the following year. To go from no official word to release in a year is unheard of.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's not like it's even a great candidate for a near-launch title. Not exactly a Gears/Halo/Forza title.

What's the best way to get my Pyro flame up? I'm having trouble working out how to get 15-16k souls at a time and back to Laurentius / Queelana.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

well why not posted:

It's not like it's even a great candidate for a near-launch title. Not exactly a Gears/Halo/Forza title.

What's the best way to get my Pyro flame up? I'm having trouble working out how to get 15-16k souls at a time and back to Laurentius / Queelana.

Wait until you accumulate a bunch of soul items, and head back.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pentyne posted:

This is highly unlikely. Usually the new platform will be revealed at E3 and planned for a release in the following year. To go from no official word to release in a year is unheard of.

So is staying on the same console cycle for 8 god drat years, which is where we'll be at if the consoles come out in 2014. I agree with the consensus that they'll be announced at E3 and come out in time for the holidays a year from now. I think too many devs are going a bit too quiet about their next game for something to not be out next year. The 360 and PS3 are on their last, dying breaths and I think Sony/MS are both aware that people are getting a bit anxious about there not being anything new announced. I think if they announce that the new consoles are coming out next March(2014) or summer 2014 or something that late, there'll be riots at E3.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just upgraded my MSGS and DGM to +15. Both weapons are great, the only problem is that I can't even wear the Crimson set and fast roll while using the DGM (40 END). :staredog:

I'm guessing that I should forget the ring of favor and protection and just use Havel's ring and the Wolf ring, if I want to have a decent Poise, DGM and still fast roll?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Smol posted:

Just upgraded my MSGS and DGM to +15. Both weapons are great, the only problem is that I can't even wear the Crimson set and fast roll while using the DGM (40 END). :staredog:

I'm guessing that I should forget the ring of favor and protection and just use Havel's ring and the Wolf ring, if I want to have a decent Poise, DGM and still fast roll?

Be a man and put on a +15 greataxe with level 3 DMB and black iron armor and one hit dudes with backstabs in pvp.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I'd given up.

I really wanted my first play through to be a low level dual wielding Thief. It'd have... Style. Challenge. Moxie. But, I reached Anor Londo after ~30 hours of slow, painful learning, got frustrated at my lack of progress, and quit.

Two weeks later, I restarted as a Depraved... where I'm going, I won't need any clothes. I bee-lined for the Zwei (until I can buy a Demon Great Axe). Ran past the blue wyverns and retrieved the red tearstone ring. For the first time in game outside of idle curiosity with the Bandit's Knife, I tried holding with both hands.

Three hours later, I'm about halfway as far in the game as my first character at a higher soul level. The Taurus Demon died in two hits without even attacking. Havel died in less than a minute. Black Knights just stand there bewildered for a second before getting SMASHED.

Moral of the story: MAN MODE.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't play DS on the PC, but I play a lot on the 360. I'm cross posting this from the console thread:

I sent this to most of the goons on my friend list, but I want to drop it here as well. I started a stupid tumblr thing so I could post the dumb messages I get on XBL: darksoulshaters.tumblr.com

If y'all have any pics you'd like to send in, I'd love it! steventylerloveschess at yahoo dot com is the address. Or you can do it directly to the tumblr thing. I think. I don't know how to use this poo poo yet.

I've already gotten hate mail about my lovely tumblr about hate mail! :downs:

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
I'm having so much trouble with 4k I kill a few and then a dude kills me in one hit. What's the best armour for that fight?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, but rumors also say that the next thing called XBox will be a media box that runs a windows 8 derivative.

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
Anyone know if you can kill O&S simultaneously ?

There is a small window before the animation plays when you kill one of them.
But it might just play the powerup sequence anyway if you manage to kill the other one in that small window.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Groen posted:

But it might just play the powerup sequence anyway if you manage to kill the other one in that small window.

My experience is somewhat limited but I am pretty sure you can't avoid phase 2.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Lord Humongus posted:

I'm having so much trouble with 4k I kill a few and then a dude kills me in one hit. What's the best armour for that fight?

Anything with high magic resist. Painted guardian's and yellow king's set are at the top of the class, I believe. Or havel's and possibly stone guardian's if you'd rather go heavy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Groen posted:

I suspect even if you managed to kill them on the exact same frame the game would just assume whichever one is listed first for the code for the transition died and the other was alive and move to phase 2 for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Useless fun fact: the ring of light you activate after Sen's Fortress is actually returning to its home planet, very slowly.

I'll AFK for an extra hour to see if it reaches Anor Londo.

• Locked thread