Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I ended up buying that WR250X. The bike is in great condition for its age and mileage. The owner is a motocross racer and it was his commuting vehicle. I got it for $3500 with all of the original parts.

He geared it really short, it's 1-down in the front and 2-up in the rear. It's singing when you are on the freeway, but drat, it is pretty drat quick on acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

Do you think it'll be that bad? I'd at least try it out and see... Are you running EBC's or some other better than stock pad?

I'm not gonna find out. I'm usually OK with chinese stuff, but I just cant bring myself to go no-name on things like brakes and other such stuff whose failure can get me killed.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Has anyone here converted a two stroke to supermoto road worthiness? I'm currently looking for a KTM 525EXC,with the intent to initially make it road legal, but there is an older 300EXC 2t with very low hours and in great shape for a pretty good price. My friends all ride two strokes off road so I'm mechanically familiar with them, but I'm concerned about how well they would perform at highway speeds for an extended period of time.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

localized posted:

Has anyone here converted a two stroke to supermoto road worthiness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvGS74VqrM

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That was about as boring as a video I think it is possible to make with a plated CR500 w/ SM wheels.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Someone buy this: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/3474302306.html

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That was terrible. One wheelie??

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Let me help you with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=276Wks3KRDw

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I can't tell you tyres I'm actually running on the DRZ (again 300 miles from the poor bike) but can someone tell me what sort of pressures I should be running?

I only ask because apparently I had 6 psi in my tyres when I went out riding a week or so ago. Filled them up to about 28-30 (air hose wouldnae fit on the stem properly), but that felt really hard compared to before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd probably run around 24-26 PSI, front and rear. Bit higher on the back for freeway riding, lower if gravel road blasting.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Ohmigawd, wheelies! :c00lbert: After having the big bore done, the DRZ is a wheelie monster. It was ok before -1 up front, but now it wants to see the sky. So much fun, wtf have I done!?!

:getin:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Ohmigawd, wheelies! :c00lbert: After having the big bore done, the DRZ is a wheelie monster. It was ok before -1 up front, but now it wants to see the sky. So much fun, wtf have I done!?!

:getin:

so what was the deal with your bike making GBS threads out all its oil after you got it back?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

echomadman posted:

so what was the deal with your bike making GBS threads out all its oil after you got it back?

I didn't do the locktite fix right... Mechanic loaded it up and did it for free, the nut that holds the sprocket on was only held on by 2 threads. Not sure how that happened, I thought I did it properly when I swapped front sprockets.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Who here had a husky 610? If you do, please tell me everything there is to know about them. Even better if you have an '06 model.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 20, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

JP Money posted:

Who here had a husky 610? If you do, please tell me everything there is to know about them. Even better if you have an '06 model.

Hey, I have one.

The pre-08(?) 610s are carbureted. Mine's fuel injected, and that's pretty neat.

The seat's uncomfortable, but that's fixable.

The parts are cheap, and available through my local BMW/Ducati dealer. Service is kind of expensive, but that goes with the territory of being serviced at a BMW/Ducati dealer.

If you PM me your email address, I can share the shop manual and other good stuff with you. Again, different years, but the the shop manuals for the '06 model year are available via google. I'll poke around and see if I can find it later tonight.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 20, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Guy local to here is selling an 06 for 3500, said the PO was kind of dumb and he bought another motor and swapped them out. (I'm assuming this was a main bearing going bad or something Husky related?). It has 7k miles now. It's got an Akra system and some other odds and ends. Worth it over looking for modded out DRZ's? I hear the reliability is usually pretty good...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cam chain replacement is why I've always had difficulty justifying one...they apparently need it roughly every 10k. But at 3500, that's DRZ money for a much higher spec bike, so I'd say go for it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

JP Money posted:

Guy local to here is selling an 06 for 3500, said the PO was kind of dumb and he bought another motor and swapped them out. (I'm assuming this was a main bearing going bad or something Husky related?). It has 7k miles now. It's got an Akra system and some other odds and ends. Worth it over looking for modded out DRZ's? I hear the reliability is usually pretty good...

There's a known cam chain tensioner or possibly balancer issue, but what it boils down to is if the bike suddenly gets a lot rougher, take it in.

I paid $5000 for my 08 and it's fun as balls. I think it looks a lot better than the DRZ as well.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Three motards picking their way through B group traffic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxqtsr6T0vc
I'm filming, Zool is in red, and a super fast dude on a bored out 450 joined us.

The fast guy said he routinely placed 3rd in regional motard races, but was new to road racing lines. We were surprisingly even with power and laptimes.

Track day footage without action is boring. Thankfully this has lots of action!

Zool goes off at 8:00 FYI

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
God drat, ORP looks so much better than when I was there a few years ago.

I am going to have to make a trip back out there this summer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gullous posted:

Zool goes off at 8:00 FYI

Practicing for the next time I come visit? :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone have a decent shape DRZ front master cylinder that they would be willing to sell?

I stripped the head out of one of the reservoir cover screws, the impact screwdriver finished it off, then I had to drill the head off, drill the body of the bit, and wound up snapping an EZ out off in the body of the master cylinder :mad:

All the DRZ master cylinders on ebay seem to be either garbage, or NOS ones that the seller wants $300 for. A new one from Suzuki is $180.

Also taking suggestions for awesome brembo upgrades sourced from KTM/Aprilia/etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I might have something floating around in my pile of stuff. Otherwise, there are plenty of swap options. Phone posting now but will check in awhile and post again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hfive: Thanks broseph

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can usually find R6 brembo MC's for ~100. They're radial though so the mount is kinda weird and they're a bit overkill. I'm sure you can find a MC off any random bike for cheap enough that'll outperform the DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The drz master is fine, and performs great actually, which is why i'd buy another. An r6 master that's sized to move two 6-piston calipers would be garbage on a bike with a single two pot caliper.

I'm either going to do another drz master or at least something sized properly

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The drz master is fine, and performs great actually, which is why i'd buy another. An r6 master that's sized to move two 6-piston calipers would be garbage on a bike with a single two pot caliper.

I'm either going to do another drz master or at least something sized properly

Yeah, the R6 MC would be an extremely stiff on/off switch for the front brake. You can pick up a dirt bike MC for $80 on E-bay. Dirt bikes tend to get parted out a lot faster than dual sports.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Since we're asking about DRZ parts, anyone got a spare right side passenger peg? Mine decided to part ways with the bike @ some point. It was there this morning, but when I got to work.... I wonder where it got off to. :iiam:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not I, sorry :(

Phat, no DRZ compatible master cylinder, sorry. But I'd look for one of the brembo units off a KTM 450...anything that comes off a bike with a 4 pot opposed caliper will be fine though.

Then you can get rear ended by your friends when you pull stoppies and don't hit the rear brake to light the brake light! Don't as me (or spiffness) how I know this.

However, it will also force you to back it in everywhere as you do need to hit the rear brake every time you slow down. So it's sort of a win/win.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Not I, sorry :(

Phat, no DRZ compatible master cylinder, sorry. But I'd look for one of the brembo units off a KTM 450...anything that comes off a bike with a 4 pot opposed caliper will be fine though.

Then you can get rear ended by your friends when you pull stoppies and don't hit the rear brake to light the brake light! Don't as me (or spiffness) how I know this.

However, it will also force you to back it in everywhere as you do need to hit the rear brake every time you slow down. So it's sort of a win/win.

You mean one like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-KTM-25...fa09ab1&vxp=mtr

Seems like a decent price

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You mean one like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-KTM-25...fa09ab1&vxp=mtr

Seems like a decent price

I don't see a provision for a brake light on there. Unless the drz uses some sort of pressure switch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

obso posted:

I don't see a provision for a brake light on there. Unless the drz uses some sort of pressure switch.

My thought was to just use a pressure switch

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing has changed on my DRZ but I'm able to wheelie very easily now. I was doing some this morning and then remembered that I was driving by the LAPD headquarters. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just another example of it being all about how bad you want it. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snagged this http://www.ebay.com/itm/360488274110

Will also be buying a pressure switch for it. I couldnt find a DRZ master that was clean for anything less than that price, so I pulled the unknown brembo trigger

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Snagged this http://www.ebay.com/itm/360488274110

Will also be buying a pressure switch for it. I couldnt find a DRZ master that was clean for anything less than that price, so I pulled the unknown brembo trigger

make sure you have the right banjo bolt for it, I did a Brembo MC swap one day and realised too late the original bolt was a different thread and had no way to get one locally.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the brembos are a M10x1.0 thread whereas the Nissins are M10x1.25

I did make sure to get the correct one.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm selling a gel seat for a DRZ in the BST thread. Feel free to take a peek and let me know if you're interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411181533&forumid=236

PS DRZ's own :smug:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm selling a gel seat for a DRZ in the BST thread. Feel free to take a peek and let me know if you're interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411181533&forumid=236

PS DRZ's own :smug:

No one will be interested, As far as I know loads of us already have one thrown in the garage gathering dust. worst gel seat ever.
Sorry to spoil your sale but friends don't let friends buy OEM DRZ gel seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I think its really mostly helpful for people who are short and have no other alternative to be able to ride it but yeah I also prefer the stock seat too. issue is I dont have a garage so I need it to go. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread