Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

eviljelly posted:

Due to some piss-poor planning (I flew into Frankfurt planning to stay only a month, then postponed my return ticket without re-booking right away), I find myself unable to fly out before my Schengen visa expires.

A) If I go on an excursion to, say, Croatia or Serbia, that should put my 90 days on 'hold' for that long, right?

B) Also, how exactly do I count the 90 days? I arrived on October 11 2012, so by my calculations, I count January 9 2013 as the must-leave date, so if I can't fly out of Frankfurt until January 20 2013, that means I should leave Schengen for a minimum of 11 days (e.g. January 2 2013 to January 13 2013), right?

A) Yes (though you'd need stamps at the border crossings to prove it; in my experience Croatia does not stamp, but maybe they will if you ask them).

B) They count them by the number of days, including the arrival and departure date. I don't know if they round the hours to full days or if you can be like within exactly 1 minute of 90 days. It's not simplified as 1 month = 30 days, though, if that's what you're asking.

C) They're enormously unlikely to catch you either way. The penalty for mild overstay is (or was, recently) €500 euros, so it's not a death sentence if you do get 'caught', although they probably then put you on a 'watch list'. If you overstay a SECOND time, you get screwed/banned. I've known lots of people, myself included, who overstayed a Schengen visa and I've never met anyone who got caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
I've decided I'm spending New Year's Eve in Europe. What's the best city to be in that night for a 28 year old American traveling on his own? I've previously been to Paris, Athens, and Reykjavik, so I'd prefer somewhere new. Assume money is no object. Well, it is somewhat of an object, but I'm not limited to budget traveling. I'll probably dick around for a few days before and after, but doing something cool for the holiday is the impetus for the whole trip.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Berlin is probably the most famous new years party. Around one million people usually.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Seconding Berlin for, well, pretty much anything party-related.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Slightly related to the above question and also my question, how is Zagreb for new years eve?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

eviljelly posted:

Slightly related to the above question and also my question, how is Zagreb for new years eve?

Usually there is a concert on the main square and it's pretty lousy. Last year there were two or three in different parts of the town's centre, going on concurrently. I actually enjoyed it but that was because I was constantly meeting friends. I don't know what will it be like this year but expect a bunch of people walking around. Many bars will be charging entry.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hitting the UK for my honeymoon around Mayday for about 10 days. So a few questions.

1. Cheapest roundtrip flights from the west coast look to be SFO to Heathrow and back, all in the $1000 range. Without flying American (which I swore off last time I went overseas with them) am I missing a deal somewhere?

2. Planning on doing a few days in London, then renting a car and driving up the East coast and then to Scotland to see some family and drive around the country a bit, then back to London and fly home.
a) Is Europcar or someone like that going to demand like a zillion pounds up front since I'm a foreigner? I've heard rumors about this.
b) My US license is okay there, correct?
c) If I can drop off the car in Edinburgh after seeing my family out in the sticks where there are no trains, is it conceivable to take a train back to London?

3. What is the weather going to be like, generally, that time of year?

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hitting the UK for my honeymoon around Mayday for about 10 days. So a few questions.

1. Cheapest roundtrip flights from the west coast look to be SFO to Heathrow and back, all in the $1000 range. Without flying American (which I swore off last time I went overseas with them) am I missing a deal somewhere?

2. Planning on doing a few days in London, then renting a car and driving up the East coast and then to Scotland to see some family and drive around the country a bit, then back to London and fly home.
a) Is Europcar or someone like that going to demand like a zillion pounds up front since I'm a foreigner? I've heard rumors about this.
b) My US license is okay there, correct?
c) If I can drop off the car in Edinburgh after seeing my family out in the sticks where there are no trains, is it conceivable to take a train back to London?

3. What is the weather going to be like, generally, that time of year?

1. Not sure about flights

2. Will depend on the car I assume. Remember that a "compact" car in the UK is much smaller than a compact car in the US. The cheapest cars for that time of year seem to be around $300 for picking up in the London and dropping off in Edinburgh, while it will only cost $200 to go back to the same location, so in this case taking the train doesn't make much sense unless you only rent a car around Scotland (if you book advance tickets for the train from London to Scotland this would be the cheapest solution overall) These prices are much much cheaper than renting a car only a few months from, so if you do this book as early as possible.

3. The Weather could be anything really. Average temperatures will probably be anywhere between 6C and 15C but it could easily be hotter if its sunny, nothing above 20C though. The past few years we have generally had very pleasant springs, but it will probably rain as well.

Edit: If you are under 25 then expect a massive surcharge which will more than double the price. Then you may want to take the train.

nozz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 6, 2012

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
BA.com has direct flights for $500, and indirect ones for $400 so you might be doing something wrong.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

peak debt posted:

BA.com has direct flights for $500, and indirect ones for $400 so you might be doing something wrong.

You're looking at one-way fees. $1000 is about right, even on BA.com. Doubt you'll ever find SFO->LHR less than $800 even if you go in mid-January.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
So after my school term abroad ends I think I'm going to do some traveling before I go home. School ends on the 14th, so I have about 9 days after it ends and I fly back stateside. My flight from Berlin leaves on the 23rd. My plan was to take RyanAir to Dublin, stay for four or five days because I've never been to Ireland so why not, and then fly into Berlin for around four or five days before my flight from there leaves. I don't know anybody in either city, and will most likely be traveling alone. I do have some money, but I'm still a broke student type. I'd like to do some thing interesting and hopefully not super pricey every day, and go out to the local nightlife every night.

Questions that I would really appreciate help with:

A)Is Dublin particularly nice/bad this time of year? I'm not totally committed to the destination so if there is anywhere else to go for a couple days thats accessible from Northern Germany I'm all ears.

B) Similarly if anyone has any suggestions of better/cheaper means of travel then Ryan Air that's be appreciated to since I haven't bought tickets yet.

C)Are there any Hostels in either city that people could recommend?

D) FInally, what are the fun things to see and do in those two cities? I would like to check out the cliffs of Moher, but other than that have no firm plans. I know that Berlin has a reputation for great nightlife, but if people could point out places/areas in the city that are fun and not super expensive that'd be great too. DItto for Dublin, especially since I've heard it's pricey.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

themrguy posted:

So after my school term abroad ends I think I'm going to do some traveling before I go home. School ends on the 14th, so I have about 9 days after it ends and I fly back stateside. My flight from Berlin leaves on the 23rd. My plan was to take RyanAir to Dublin, stay for four or five days because I've never been to Ireland so why not, and then fly into Berlin for around four or five days before my flight from there leaves. I don't know anybody in either city, and will most likely be traveling alone. I do have some money, but I'm still a broke student type. I'd like to do some thing interesting and hopefully not super pricey every day, and go out to the local nightlife every night.

Questions that I would really appreciate help with:

A)Is Dublin particularly nice/bad this time of year? I'm not totally committed to the destination so if there is anywhere else to go for a couple days thats accessible from Northern Germany I'm all ears.

B) Similarly if anyone has any suggestions of better/cheaper means of travel then Ryan Air that's be appreciated to since I haven't bought tickets yet.

D) FInally, what are the fun things to see and do in those two cities? I would like to check out the cliffs of Moher, but other than that have no firm plans. I know that Berlin has a reputation for great nightlife, but if people could point out places/areas in the city that are fun and not super expensive that'd be great too. DItto for Dublin, especially since I've heard it's pricey.

A) Dublin is going to be cold and miserable, like any other time of the year. Go to Edinburgh instead. Or Paris or Prague or Baghdad or anywhere else. OK, some people love Dublin, but I'm not a fan.

B) Ryanair is cheap, especially if you can find a sale (I've had flights for 99 pence). Buses may be cheaper depending on your geographic particulars but they will obviously take much, much longer.

C) Both have zillions of hostels; check hostelworld for reviews and booking. Dublin in particular (I don't know about Berlin) has affordable hostels right in the middle of the nightlife, if you want to be right there.

D) Dublin, and Ireland as a whole, is terribly expensive (in my experience, more than Paris, NYC, or anywhere I've been). If you're into the nightlife and you don't want to spend much, go to Eastern Europe (and watch your pockets). A very tame night out in Dublin can easily cost north of 50 euros. I have no idea about Berlin but I've heard it's cheaper than average for central and western Europe.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

themrguy posted:

I went to Dublin a couple of years ago in the middle of the busiest tourist season. I had a hostel reservation, or I thought I did. When I arrived at the hostel at 23.00 or so, I found out that my reservation hadn't gone through and that hostel was full already.

The next hostel in the neighbor had room, though, and so apparently did the several others down the road. The place is just packed with hostels and I really doubt you have any troubles getting a place to stay.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

themrguy posted:

It's Ireland so it'll be cold and wet. A little colder than usual probably.

quote:

Read all the fine print on Ryanair's site very carefully. You will be charged extra for a lot of things including paying by credit card. what you have to be very careful to do is NOT go over the weight limit and BE SURE TO PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS AT HOME. These two things will cost a fortune, no joke.

quote:

You didn't really give us any idea of your interests but if you go all the way to the Cliffs of Moher, I'd recommend a night or two in Galway. It's a small town with plenty of students and it'll be fun and a lot cheaper than Dublin. If you stay in Dublin you can visit Newgrange or Glendalough (these would be separate day trips).

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am going to be in Poland for christmas/new years this year with my whole family based in Warsaw/Krakow. My family is polish, and not too big into the whole club/party scene. we prefer nice cafe's or restaurants where we can sit and relax together and eat some good food. We like history also, and plan to take a tour in Krakow of Auschwitz and the salt mine. I understand a little of the language also if that makes a difference.

I am wondering if any goons familiar with the area know of any good places to get food/beer in any of these cities, or if there are any must-see sites. How cold is it going to be?

Last year we were in (northern and southern) Germany in early December, and it was cold. and wet. Will we actually get snow this time of year?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seconding the above post. Ill be in warsaw/krakow for dec/jan.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm considering going to London in March-ish for about ten days. Would it be a terrible idea to stay in a hostel to save some money? I don't really know anything about hostels at all... I'm 29 and not much interested in being surrounded by partying college students, but I guess they're not a student-only thing? Does anyone here have experience with staying in a hotsel for more than a few days, especially as a not-technically-a-youth-anymore traveller?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I'll be in Krakow this June. I would also love to know where to eat in Krakow.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Third Murderer posted:

I'm considering going to London in March-ish for about ten days. Would it be a terrible idea to stay in a hostel to save some money? I don't really know anything about hostels at all... I'm 29 and not much interested in being surrounded by partying college students, but I guess they're not a student-only thing? Does anyone here have experience with staying in a hotsel for more than a few days, especially as a not-technically-a-youth-anymore traveller?

It's fine, you'll be fine. I'm in my late 20s and I still stay in hostels and I will continue to do so. I see much older people in them all the time and it's not a problem at all. It's not exclusively for teenagers or students so don't worry about it.

In most of my hostel experience (dozens of them), the room is where people go to sleep and maybe chat a bit. People don't generally party in the room, so you can party as much or as little as you want; there is no obligation.

Just keep in mind: You usually have to make the bed yourself even if linens are provided (and they usually are). Towels may or may not be available and may or may not be free. Bathrooms may or may not be ensuite. Hostels are extremely variable -- check hostelworld.com for all the details of each place you consider and read the reviews (and take them with a grain of salt).

Ten days in London though? That I'm not so sure about.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

DNova posted:

It's fine, you'll be fine. I'm in my late 20s and I still stay in hostels and I will continue to do so. I see much older people in them all the time and it's not a problem at all. It's not exclusively for teenagers or students so don't worry about it.

In most of my hostel experience (dozens of them), the room is where people go to sleep and maybe chat a bit. People don't generally party in the room, so you can party as much or as little as you want; there is no obligation.

Just keep in mind: You usually have to make the bed yourself even if linens are provided (and they usually are). Towels may or may not be available and may or may not be free. Bathrooms may or may not be ensuite. Hostels are extremely variable -- check hostelworld.com for all the details of each place you consider and read the reviews (and take them with a grain of salt).

Excellent, thanks. :)

DNova posted:

Ten days in London though? That I'm not so sure about.

Meaning that's too long for a hostel, or it's not enough time in the city (I certainly don't expect to see "everything"), or...?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Third Murderer posted:

Meaning that's too long for a hostel, or it's not enough time in the city (I certainly don't expect to see "everything"), or...?

No, it seems like way too long to me for London, not a hostel in general. Everyone travels differently and likes different things though so I didn't really get into all that. Do whatever you enjoy!

One final tip about hostels: if you are a light sleeper or have trouble going to sleep, make sure you have earplugs and maybe an eye mask. I have a very hard time going to sleep, and if anyone is snoring, forget it.

Sometimes I also use lightning bug on my phone for some snore-drowning white noise.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Ah, I see. I don't have any concrete plans as to what I'll be doing so I can always plan a few days outside the city... I suspect I will lose several days to the British Museum though - I could stay in a place like that forever. :allears: I'll have to think about it.

Good call on the earplugs.

Thanks again! :)

I will add Brighton to the list of stuff to consider. Thanks!
\/\/

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 12, 2012

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
1. You should check our Airbnb for saving costs in London, might be just what you need.
2. Make sure if you're in London for 10 days you definitely go check out Brighton, it's awesome down there :)

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

So I'm going to Paris during spring break next year with my dad and bro. I do not speak French, but my dad does. How hosed will I be if I wanted to wander off and check out some clubs alone?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Paris was the only place in France in which I had no problem getting around speaking only English. You'll be fine.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
For those planning to visit Amsterdam in 2013: The planned closure of the Coffeeshops for foreigners has been lifted for Amsterdam. The city has been granted permission to deal with the issue as they see fit (keep everything as it has been basically).

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

roboshit posted:

So I'm going to Paris during spring break next year with my dad and bro. I do not speak French, but my dad does. How hosed will I be if I wanted to wander off and check out some clubs alone?

Start with a "excusez-moi, parlez vous anglais?" and a smile and you're going to be fine. Just don't be one of the guys who starts blabbing in English because obviously everyone is supposed to understand it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

roboshit posted:

You've got 3 months... that's long enough to learn some basics of a language. You won't be fluent or anything, but at least you'll be able to ask where the bathroom is or know what subway train to get on.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Third Murderer posted:

Excellent, thanks. :)

I spent months in London, it's my favorite. But ten days will easily let you hit the major tourist attractions and have loads of time to spare. I do really recommend looking up people on Couchsurfing or something, even if you're staying in a hostel - it's a megalopolis full of corners you won't find on your own. Also there really isn't any need to pay for attractions in London, most of the really good ones are either free (most of the museums) or neighborhoods/parks. You can pretty much walk around Tower of London etc. and get the point.

edit: Also since you like museums, the National Gallery is one of the best art museums in the world and the Victoria & Albert is excellent as well (it's a mix of art and history).

peak debt posted:

Start with a "excusez-moi, parlez vous anglais?" and a smile and you're going to be fine. Just don't be one of the guys who starts blabbing in English because obviously everyone is supposed to understand it.

This is pretty much the only thing you need to know about Paris. Everyone there speaks enough English to help you, and most of them will as long as you observe the polite little ritual of asking first.

duralict fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 17, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And if you just act like an rear end that just goes up to people and asks things in English, French people WILL get you to take the train in the wrong direction.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

I'm studying abroad in Montpellier for five months. So, tell me internet, what absolutely needs to be done in Languedoc and Provence? What would be the best way to get around from place to place, or am I stuck with the TGV?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Balqis posted:

I'm studying abroad in Montpellier for five months. So, tell me internet, what absolutely needs to be done in Languedoc and Provence? What would be the best way to get around from place to place, or am I stuck with the TGV?

"Stuck" with the TGV? The TGV is great, one of the best rail systems in Europe. If you can rent a car, that is absolutely the way to get around the countryside. I spent a week driving around the Roussillon / Lacoste / Menerbes area, one of the nicest road trips I've done. The coast east of Marseilles is beautiful also. Great sea cliff climbing if you're into that. Not easily done without a car, but if you go with 2 people, a car is break even price-wise, and more than that and you're saving money vs. public transit.

I found Aix-en-Provence insanely overrated as a tourist destination; there's nothing there and it's not particularly cute. Avignon is neat and has tons of history and easy to get to by public transit. Haven't been anywhere else in the area, but aiming to get back there at some point.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

roboshit posted:

"Don't go to clubs" would be my suggestion. Paris has the world's best cafe/restaurant scene, you can go to clubs filled with pointless dance music pretty much everywhere in the world. Unless you want to meet some girls. In which case my recommendation is exactly the same.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

duralict posted:

I spent months in London, it's my favorite. But ten days will easily let you hit the major tourist attractions and have loads of time to spare. I do really recommend looking up people on Couchsurfing or something, even if you're staying in a hostel - it's a megalopolis full of corners you won't find on your own. Also there really isn't any need to pay for attractions in London, most of the really good ones are either free (most of the museums) or neighborhoods/parks. You can pretty much walk around Tower of London etc. and get the point.

edit: Also since you like museums, the National Gallery is one of the best art museums in the world and the Victoria & Albert is excellent as well (it's a mix of art and history).

Duly noted, thank you. :)

Any suggestion as to how much cash I should bring with me? I don't really have any idea what things cost in London other than "expensive, probably."

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HookShot posted:

And if you just act like an rear end that just goes up to people and asks things in English, French people WILL get you to take the train in the wrong direction.

'Sure we will take your money but if you dont say hello in french we will ruin your entire trip'

Pretty lame and the exact reason I stick to awesome friendly cities like prague, berlin etc. Paris is beautiful but the people suck and even alot of French people think so.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I lived near Paris for half a year and spent tons of time in the city. Parisians are cold - but not hostile - if you approach them strictly in English. I found them to be very friendly and helpful to me, however, because I always approached them with my lovely attempt at French. They would usually offer (without being asked) to switch to English.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The thing you have to remember about the French, and that most people and especially non-Europeans who don't understand the history don't think about, is that the French have HATED the English for basically a thousand years and vice versa.

They are historically enemies, and that doesn't go away immediately. Of course, it's getting better, and most French people won't tell you they hate the English that openly, but if you go up to them and immediately speak to them in the language of a people they hated and have gone to war with at least a dozen times, and expect them to speak it as well, they're going to be a little bit upset about it.

This is a country that specifically made sure they were in the +1 time zone even though that makes no sense geographically entirely because they didn't want to share a time zone with England.

Glitchdj
Mar 20, 2007
I like milk

HookShot posted:

Also I would skip Brussels, unless you want to go just for the waffles. There's nothing to do and it sucks.

Not entirely true, but I see your point compared to other capitals.

If anyone wants to visit Belgium, do it during summertime, skip Brussels and visit Brugge, Gent or just come to Antwerp, maybe I can even give you a tour or something.

These 3 cities, and in my opninion specifically Antwerp, are a paradise for foodies, shoppers and clubbers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HookShot posted:

The thing you have to remember about the French, and that most people and especially non-Europeans who don't understand the history don't think about, is that the French have HATED the English for basically a thousand years and vice versa.

They are historically enemies, and that doesn't go away immediately. Of course, it's getting better, and most French people won't tell you they hate the English that openly, but if you go up to them and immediately speak to them in the language of a people they hated and have gone to war with at least a dozen times, and expect them to speak it as well, they're going to be a little bit upset about it.

This is a country that specifically made sure they were in the +1 time zone even though that makes no sense geographically entirely because they didn't want to share a time zone with England.
Maybe I'm a weird Frenchman but I've never felt any real animosity towards English speakers, the last war we had against the English dates quite a bit.

Actually we had the same time as England until the German Occupation during WW2,when the occupant changed our timezone for military purposes.

After the war we didn't bother switching back to our previous timezone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DownsideUp
Jul 17, 2004
MuchLove<3<3<3
Headed off to Copenhagen for 6 months for an internship in 2013, can anyone fill me in on some fun thing's to do around the area? I'll be staying in Strandgade. And while it'll be cold as gently caress, seeing spring in Denamrk should be neat.