Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Please put jumping to the first unread post back in. I have no idea why you'd remove this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Please put jumping to the first unread post back in. I have no idea why you'd remove this.

It's still in, but there's a little bug in that it requires you to have the "color read posts differently" option set on your main SA account.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Because I hate you.

No, wait, that's a bug. Check this thread for a workaround until the next version is out.

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur

As has been said, quick fix is to use your web browser to go to user control panel, and change your settings to "color viewed posts a different color." That's not quite the wording but I'm not by a comp and don't want to check.

Edit: damnit should have refreshed before posting.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It would be awesome if people checked the last page or so before posting the same bugs over and over. If you're browsing the site (not in Awful), you can look at just pokeyman's posts to see what he's commented on. He's pretty good about quoting the original issue.

flushpuppy
Jan 21, 2012

yeah, no. no, yeah.
posts in the pink forum threads are not showing chronologically and its bad

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's fixed in 1.9.1, never fear!

flushpuppy
Jan 21, 2012

yeah, no. no, yeah.

pokeyman posted:

It's fixed in 1.9.1, never fear!

bless you, pokeyman

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Hey pokeyman is it convenient to install an option to disable the yospos stylesheet? I get that lots of people like it but there are a few of us who adblock it on our computers :twisted:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

If that's coming then that's great.

Thanks.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

When you open a thread from your bookmarks and the post it loads is both short and at the bottom of the page it ends up looking like this:

The "pull to go to next page" thing is just below the bottom of the screen, but I usually forget that it's down there and return to my bookmarks only to find that there are still unread posts in the thread. Could it be moved up to below the post in situations like this?

eames
May 9, 2009

Can somebody please ID this Awful App version for me?

I just downloaded the new Awful linked app in the OP and deleted the one in the screenshot. Now I'd like to have the old one back, but it's not listed under my previous purchases. :(
The newer 1.9 version is clearly prettier and offers a ton of nifty features, but I find the old layout to be much more comfortable on my iPad.
I think this is because the sidebar never auto-hides and that kind of compresses all the postings into a narrower, (for me) more readable format.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It's 1.5.16, I think. I'm in the same camp, still using it as I like the two-column layout better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't think they would have removed it, try searching for "Awful Maxx" maybe.

Also I think auto-hiding the sidebar will end up being a toggle in a very near future release. Maybe a 1.9.2, I'm not sure what pokeyman's said about it but it seems to be often requested.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Two column forever, bring it back.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seconding this. Landscape iPad makes lines of text too long for this font size.

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

Representing some hardcore one column love here.

However, I have no problem with it being a toggle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Compromise is for the weak, two columns should be the only option.

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a way to upload custom CSS into Awful? I remember something about that being posted before.

also, is there a reason the "post options" are at the bottom of the post in the iPad app, but at the top of the post in the iPhone app? Is it just a lack of an equivalent space in the iPad version?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Is access to the Leper's Colony possible for an app like this? I am an incorrigible drama whore and like reading about bans :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ZebraByNumbers posted:

Is there a way to upload custom CSS into Awful? I remember something about that being posted before.

Check the app's files in iTunes with your device plugged in. There's a readme and an example.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Is access to the Leper's Colony possible for an app like this? I am an incorrigible drama whore and like reading about bans :(

Not currently possible but you're not the first to ask. It's on the list.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Minor quibble--not a fan of the infinity symbol for bookmarked threads I mark unread. I have a lot of bookmarked threads I don't care to check every time there is a new post, so having the blue infinity symbol blends in with other threads I do check all the time that have unread posts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That was a concession so we could show the star color as the unread badge color. We assumed most people wouldn't often mark their bookmarked threads unread. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone.

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

Is this the app, or Something Awful? Happened on wifi, and LTE.

If it matters, I was also watching a lets play on my iPad at the same time, but the app wasn't actively running (as there was a video). I sometimes have a network issue when I do this with tweetbot, too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ZebraByNumbers posted:

Is this the app, or Something Awful? Happened on wifi, and LTE.

If it matters, I was also watching a lets play on my iPad at the same time, but the app wasn't actively running (as there was a video). I sometimes have a network issue when I do this with tweetbot, too.

Thats what happens when either the forums go down briefly or I lose wifi and it hasnt picked up a signal yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Has anyone else had trouble uploading images through the app since 1.9?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Has anyone else had trouble uploading images through the app since 1.9?

I have. Won't work for me at all. :(

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

pokeyman posted:

That was a concession so we could show the star color as the unread badge color. We assumed most people wouldn't often mark their bookmarked threads unread. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone.

Is there a way that you can just not show a color/symbol at all for bookmarked threads that someone has marked all unread?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Testing from 1.9.1:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

jojoinnit posted:

Testing from 1.9.1:

That's the error I get. Happens on WiFi and LTE.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's the error I get. Happens on WiFi and LTE.

Yeah I was doing it over a strong wifi signal but it worked the second time. Guessing it depends on imgurs loads but its better than previously when it would just crash to the home screen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What's with that little "saved!" popup after you save an image? It's only like half a second delay but it won't let you click the "done" button until it finishes. Kinda annoying if you're going through a big image thread saving a lot of them.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I think I've found a bug with fast-moving threads: if there are new pages posted in a thread I'm reading, dragging to the next page only refreshes the current page. I have to drag it twice to advance. The button to choose pages also doesn't show the new pages, though the status bar (page x of y) does.

This is on the iPad with iOS 6.0.1.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

in_cahoots posted:

I think I've found a bug with fast-moving threads: if there are new pages posted in a thread I'm reading, dragging to the next page only refreshes the current page. I have to drag it twice to advance. The button to choose pages also doesn't show the new pages, though the status bar (page x of y) does.

This is on the iPad with iOS 6.0.1.

I see this as well. It seems like the first refresh turns the background from grey to dark blue, oddly enough.

e: grey to dark blue if I refresh the page after posting, too. Is there a context for the color change? No unread posts since last refresh or something?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Unread posts are white, read ones blue. (Say that aloud for extra confusion.)

The pull for next page bug is fixed in 1.9.1. Unfortunately you'll have to hit it twice until then.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also image uploads are indeed hosed, I'ma figure out what's up but there won't be a fix for a few weeks unfortunately. (Review times plus review holiday.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

pokeyman posted:

Unread posts are white, read ones blue. (Say that aloud for extra confusion.)

The pull for next page bug is fixed in 1.9.1. Unfortunately you'll have to hit it twice until then.

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Why did it only affect fast moving threads? Was it only if the total page count changed?

This app sure has to handle a lot of edge cases.

• Locked thread