Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Could anyone tell me what universities mean when the course offers one-year placements in different countries? Are you basically switching to a different school abroad to continue studying?

I'm curious because a university I'm looking at offers one year in America but doesn't say much beyond that, but it also offers a course with one year in industry. After reading this thread it seems like getting experience is really the most important thing you can do, but the possibility of going to the USA for a year is immensely appealing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I'm currently at a community college, and am applying to transfer to some CSUs and UCs for chemical engineering. I am going to be transferring with a full year of general chemistry and Organic Chemistry, the full year of engineering physics, and the full year of calculus. This semester I am taking a linear algebra class/diff eq class, and there is a possibility that I will not pass. If everything goes well these next few weeks then I can get a B, but I am just worrying about a worst case scenario. How bad will this look? If I don't pass, then I will take it next semester, but I am worried that a D here will just ruin me. Am I over reacting? I spoke with a STEM counselor and he said that it shouldn't be a big deal since I am applying with all of those other classes already completed. My transfer GPA is also a 3.3 for both UCs and CSUs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I'm currently at a community college, and am applying to transfer to some CSUs and UCs for chemical engineering. I am going to be transferring with a full year of general chemistry and Organic Chemistry, the full year of engineering physics, and the full year of calculus. This semester I am taking a linear algebra class/diff eq class, and there is a possibility that I will not pass. If everything goes well these next few weeks then I can get a B, but I am just worrying about a worst case scenario. How bad will this look? If I don't pass, then I will take it next semester, but I am worried that a D here will just ruin me. Am I over reacting? I spoke with a STEM counselor and he said that it shouldn't be a big deal since I am applying with all of those other classes already completed. My transfer GPA is also a 3.3 for both UCs and CSUs.

If I understand correctly, you're worried about failing that math course and that affecting your chances for transfer admission? If you've already applied as a transfer student (submitted application + transcripts) and didn't list that you're taking that course, you should be OK, I think.

Also, in the future, that course may show up on your UC transcript purely as "credit received" and not as a D. Though, for some professional schools that require all your transcripts, that bad grade won't stay hidden. Nothing really unethical here in my opinion, it'll just be nice to not have that grade weighing you down when you transfer. (When I started undergrad, I had some dual-enrolled math classes I did horrible in transfer as "Credit Received" and the Cs had 0 effect on my undergrad GPA. Then I applied for grad school and they wanted every transcript :saddowns:).

Frankston posted:

Could anyone tell me what universities mean when the course offers one-year placements in different countries? Are you basically switching to a different school abroad to continue studying?

I'm curious because a university I'm looking at offers one year in America but doesn't say much beyond that, but it also offers a course with one year in industry. After reading this thread it seems like getting experience is really the most important thing you can do, but the possibility of going to the USA for a year is immensely appealing for me.

It's just study abroad. My school had a partnership with some universities in Germany, to the point where some of our profs would also go over there to teach. You basically get a term where you have one or two core engineering classes, and then some blow-off classes + getting drunk/laid/whatever.

The "course in industry" sounds like it gives you a year of experience working somewhere, which would be hugely beneficial for the future. Going to America for a year would probably be fun as hell and you should definitely do it. Any way to combine the two?

huhu posted:

Would anyone who knows a decent bit about CPVC, pumps, piping, etc. be interested in taking a quick look at my senior design project? Our concept is just about finished and is modelled in SolidWorks. I'd just like to get some second opinions before we place our order for parts.

Not an ME, just quoting this so it doesn't get lost.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 10, 2023

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
If I get a D in the course then I will be retaking it for a better grade in the spring. I'm just worried that potential colleges would look at this semester and pass on me because of it. I was thinking about it today and I think that the calculus, physics and chemistry are more important for first impressions than one Diff EQ class. We just had a test today and everyone is struggling.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I'm graduating from upenn with a bse in bioengineering. I have no idea what job I want. What's outside my region that I may not already know about?

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

How reasonable is it to major in Computer Engineering, with the intention of going to grad school for Biomedical Engineering (specifically Neural stuff) if the industry gets better?

I enjoy neuroscience and the idea of working on neural interfaces, artificial limbs, or even the biochemical/pharmaceutical side - anything to do with regeneration and enhancement. But I'm not so sure about the job market (Canadian if it matters); I'm not as keen on being an underpaid/overworked post-doc for most of my life.

I'm aware that other Engineering disciplines, such as Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical, may be more appropriate for going into biomedical, but if it turns out that there are just no good jobs, I'd much rather do programming work. Either low-level or software engineering is fine, but I'd like to have enough background to be able to focus on making software applications - especially if I'll be able to do small freelance projects as part-time work (feel free to tell me if this is stupid - I have some programming experience, but not at a lot) - which is why I'm thinking Computer rather than Electrical.

Chemical Engineering could also be interesting, but I'm not sure how the job market is for that either (and in what fields - I really don't want to be stuck doing petroleum or working for Pfizer), and either way I'd like to have some decent programming background because few things drive me crazier than seeing outdated software, lovely data management, and unnecessary paperwork.

On a final note, I have a potential issue that may determine where I'd have to go: due to a (serious, medically diagnosed, blah blah blah) sleep disorder I don't function very well in the early mornings (gotta take narcolepsy drugs to barely zombie through stuff until noonish, but I can put in crazy work after with no porblem). So I'd need to go for a field that's friendly for flex shifts (if not work from home, but of course that's not for lab stuff).

Also, I'm maybe-naively hoping it wouldn't be as big of an issue in this day/age/country, but it'd be cool to know if any industry still has issues with misogyny. Some heckling is not a deal-breaker unless it's to the point of "good luck getting promoted/paid a reasonable wage/taken seriously ever".

Any advice? Thanks guys.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Goddamn posted:

How reasonable is it to major in Computer Engineering, with the intention of going to grad school for Biomedical Engineering (specifically Neural stuff) if the industry gets better?

I enjoy neuroscience and the idea of working on neural interfaces, artificial limbs, or even the biochemical/pharmaceutical side - anything to do with regeneration and enhancement. But I'm not so sure about the job market (Canadian if it matters); I'm not as keen on being an underpaid/overworked post-doc for most of my life.

I'm aware that other Engineering disciplines, such as Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical, may be more appropriate for going into biomedical, but if it turns out that there are just no good jobs, I'd much rather do programming work. Either low-level or software engineering is fine, but I'd like to have enough background to be able to focus on making software applications - especially if I'll be able to do small freelance projects as part-time work (feel free to tell me if this is stupid - I have some programming experience, but not at a lot) - which is why I'm thinking Computer rather than Electrical.

Chemical Engineering could also be interesting, but I'm not sure how the job market is for that either (and in what fields - I really don't want to be stuck doing petroleum or working for Pfizer), and either way I'd like to have some decent programming background because few things drive me crazier than seeing outdated software, lovely data management, and unnecessary paperwork.

On a final note, I have a potential issue that may determine where I'd have to go: due to a (serious, medically diagnosed, blah blah blah) sleep disorder I don't function very well in the early mornings (gotta take narcolepsy drugs to barely zombie through stuff until noonish, but I can put in crazy work after with no porblem). So I'd need to go for a field that's friendly for flex shifts (if not work from home, but of course that's not for lab stuff).

Also, I'm maybe-naively hoping it wouldn't be as big of an issue in this day/age/country, but it'd be cool to know if any industry still has issues with misogyny. Some heckling is not a deal-breaker unless it's to the point of "good luck getting promoted/paid a reasonable wage/taken seriously ever".

Any advice? Thanks guys.

I've seen more misogyny in smaller companies than in larger companies. I work in manufacturing which is an old boy's club to an actively embarrassing degree.

I think my experience with this may be a bit different from others, but an engineering degree with experience in programming and design seems like a decent way to get your foot in the door with some programming stuff. If you're working way outside your area, keep up with some projects so you have something of a portfolio.

Please bare in mind that is completely from me knowing a bunch of software engineers that made a transition in that way - I could be wrong.

Regardless of where you end up, try to keep up with programming. It is ridiculously useful for engineering and learning a nickel's worth of programming has made me a far more effective engineer.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any suggestions for alternative energy companies to contact?

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

huhu posted:

Any suggestions for alternative energy companies to contact?

I wouldn't contact any of them. Most are small and very top-heavy so coming in as an engineer is a horrible experience.

If they are big, they got that way on government grants and we see how well that worked out for A123 and Solyndra.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

SeaBass posted:

If they are big, they got that way on government grants and we see how well that worked out for A123 and Solyndra.
A123's batteries were a legitimate big advance and created a large amount of market advancement and stimulation. Even if the company is going under, they're going to get bought up and continue business. The grant did a lot of good.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

grover posted:

A123's batteries were a legitimate big advance and created a large amount of market advancement and stimulation. Even if the company is going under, they're going to get bought up and continue business. The grant did a lot of good.

And yet everyone who works there was/is sweating bullets over their job security and certainly no ones getting raises. The pay at companies like this is usually poo poo.

SeaBass posted:

I wouldn't contact any of them. Most are small and very top-heavy so coming in as an engineer is a horrible experience.

This. From a girlfriend's experience, this.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Ailing companies can be a mixed bag, depending on your situation. Everyone employed there may be jumping ship based on the uncertainty, but that also happens to create a lot of job openings that, while they may not be as good as a stable job, can still be a job if you're not presently employed.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
:suicide: Are there similar fields worth getting involved in? Also, I worked at Siemens in a different field but I was going to try and use my connections to get a job in their solar department and then they pulled out. Again, :suicide:.

Edit: What about companies that offer interesting alternative energy products? For example I thought http://biolitestove.com/ offers some pretty interesting products.

Edit2: I have another question about GPA. I applied to a large company that had a 3.0GPA requirement and managed to get an interview even though I had below a 3.0GPA. (Note: I was honest about my GPA.) I went through the interview process and they were set to hire me. Somehow they lost my application and as a formality had me refill it out. Once they found out my actual GPA, not sure how they hosed that up, they basically told me to gently caress off. I'm wondering how many companies are loose with the GPA requirement if they specify one? My resume has two internships with one being international, Engineers Without Borders involvement, and have been a leader in all of my group projects. I don't want to go applying and wasting my time though if they are just going to look at the GPA and remove me at step 1. Also, my major GPA is a 2.9 and I'm set to get a >3.0 for the last two semesters of college. Can I factor this in at all when applying?

huhu fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 25, 2012

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
A lot of government jobs have a positive education requirement, which allows a 3.0 GPA overall or something like 3.0 for last 4 semesters in major. It's worth checking out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

That said, I think you need the MS/PhD for the real insane/halo jobs in EE. Being a guy at Intel or Nvidia with job titles like "ASIC Architect" or "Process Architect/Engineer/Scientist" and developing manufacturing processes for ICs, I imagine you have to be absolutely stunning in your field.

Sorry to poke at an old post. But My friend just got hired as an ASIC Designer for Nvidia in the GPU department, pretty much a dream job. He still hasn't finished his Bachelors in Computer Engineering, so you don't even need a MS/PhD for these jobs; just gotta be smart as all hell and have a phenomenal gpa. I will say though that a lot of those hardware design and ASIC jobs do require 5+ years experience or a masters so it would help, but it's not impossible to get one right out of the gates with a BS.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I saw this photo today, and thought "now that is real-world engineering!" Gotta hand it to these guys for simplicity and effectiveness, to clamp a screwdriver upside-down in a CNC machine to remotely push the button on another piece of machinery that's being bombarded by high energy x-rays.

http://www.sciencecodex.com/a_shock_to_pollution_in_chemistry-103063

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and, as my first job, worked for 2 and a half years doing CAD work for this lovely Armenian guy. Unfortunately, I was let go in October due to downsizing and have been job searching since.

With the lower likelihood that I'm going to be hired during the holiday season, I'm considering taking the FE Exam for this coming spring to become an EIT. I never got the chance to take it during my undergraduate since finishing my final papers and exams took everything that I had.

Being a member of the ASME, I was planning on taking their review course. Does anyone have any recommended review and study material? (Hopefully on the cheap.)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I think the "companies don't hire during the holiday season" thing is largely a myth. At least in my recent experience it is. I lost my last job on October 19th and within a week I was already getting a ton of traction with several companies and recruiters. Hell, I had two interviews Thanksgiving week - one of which led to the job I started this week.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Edward IV posted:

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and, as my first job, worked for 2 and a half years doing CAD work for this lovely Armenian guy. Unfortunately, I was let go in October due to downsizing and have been job searching since.

With the lower likelihood that I'm going to be hired during the holiday season, I'm considering taking the FE Exam for this coming spring to become an EIT. I never got the chance to take it during my undergraduate since finishing my final papers and exams took everything that I had.

Being a member of the ASME, I was planning on taking their review course. Does anyone have any recommended review and study material? (Hopefully on the cheap.)

Get a copy of the exam book they give you with all the formulas and references and look through that and get familiar with it. You'll spend a lot of time looking up formulas and stuff, so don't waste time not knowing where stuff generally is.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Noctone posted:

I think the "companies don't hire during the holiday season" thing is largely a myth. At least in my recent experience it is. I lost my last job on October 19th and within a week I was already getting a ton of traction with several companies and recruiters. Hell, I had two interviews Thanksgiving week - one of which led to the job I started this week.

I will agree with this as I interviewed for a job in mid October, received an offer on Halloween and started mid November

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Edward IV posted:

FE Study Materials

Buy the FE Supplied-Reference Handbook ($13.95) and FE Mechanical Sample Questions and Solutions Book ($34.95)--the latter should review morning and afternoon concepts and have one or two full example exams. Both shipped for a little over $50. USE THE REFERENCE BOOK to solve the example problems WITH THE CALCULATOR YOU WILL USE ON EXAM DAY. If you make it through the whole book, or want to focus on some areas more, you should be able to dig up old exam problems on google.

Honestly, I found this far more useful than the review course I took through my school, but if the review isn't expensive it can't hurt. Mostly, they just taught you how to game the test (For example, since it is multiple choice and you know the correct answer is listed, you can just plug them in and see which works. Or if problems are unit heavy, just manipulate the units to get what matches the answers and then plug in the numbers that go with them.)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Realized one caveat to my previous post: the last couple of weeks of the year are usually a dead zone for hiring since managers are typically trying to burn off some vacation time lest they lose it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Noctone posted:

Realized one caveat to my previous post: the last couple of weeks of the year are usually a dead zone for hiring since managers are typically trying to burn off some vacation time lest they lose it.
Hah! Yeah, this. I'm pretty much taking the entire month of December off, trying to burn all my use or lose leave. Half of my office is, too. The only people that work over christmas are the new hires that haven't had time to save up any leave yet.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

grover posted:

Hah! Yeah, this. I'm pretty much taking the entire month of December off, trying to burn all my use or lose leave. Half of my office is, too. The only people that work over christmas are the new hires that haven't had time to save up any leave yet.

That's me, the new guy. Nothing in particular for me to be doing but I've gotta be back in the office the day after Christmas to twiddle my thumbs.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I already have the Seventh Edition of the Reference Handbook that I got during my undergraduate. Even so, I probably should get the current 8th Edition since that is the handbook they'll be using during the exam and it's only $14. Right?

Also, just so everyone knows that I've been 3 and a half years out of school and remember very little. I'd feel more confident with a comprehensive review but I don't know if that will help given the nature of the test.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2012

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Did you figure out how to game the SAT's? If yes you'll be fine, because the FE is even easier. All the stuff said above about working backwards from the answers is absolutely true, and aside from a couple dumb questions there wasn't a single question on the test that couldn't be inferred from the info in the test guide.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Edward IV posted:

I already have the Seventh Edition of the Reference Handbook that I got during my undergraduate. Even so, I probably should get the current 8th Edition since that is the handbook they'll be using during the exam and it's only $14. Right?

Also, just so everyone knows that I've been 3 and a half years out of school and remember very little. I'd feel more confident with a comprehensive review but I don't know if that will help given the nature of the test.
You can download it for free off their website, too.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Found something better.

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 18, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I hosed up and didn't realize that I had to send in another application to determine my eligibility which was due for my state on November 14th. Am I going to have to wait to take the exam next October?

EDIT: Just called the state board office and they said that they could still approve me for the April exam. I'll probably need a poo poo ton of luck for there to be any space left but worst comes to worst I'll have the application for next October in.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 10, 2012

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, most state licensure boards are pretty chill about it. They just want your money. I'm sure there will be a half table for you in the exam room come April.

Canadian Tapeworm
Feb 14, 2012
CEs seem to be outnumbered 100 to 1 in this thread but hopefully someone might have some insight.

I have a BSCE and have had my PE for a few years and am currently working for DoD, but I'm extremely bored all day every day. Friends of mine have suggested it's b/c of who I work for and not what I do, but I just think I don't want to be an engineer anymore; not a 'true' engineer anyway.

What does interest me is politics, public policy and urban planning/transportation. Does anyone have any experience with a Masters program worth looking into, keeping in mind it would have to be online. So far the closest I've come is Northwestern's MPPA. Is this even a feasible career move? Do I even need another degree or is an engineering degree enough to get my foot in the door? Bleh, so much uncertainty.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Canadian Tapeworm posted:

CEs seem to be outnumbered 100 to 1 in this thread but hopefully someone might have some insight.

I have a BSCE and have had my PE for a few years and am currently working for DoD, but I'm extremely bored all day every day. Friends of mine have suggested it's b/c of who I work for and not what I do, but I just think I don't want to be an engineer anymore; not a 'true' engineer anyway.

What does interest me is politics, public policy and urban planning/transportation. Does anyone have any experience with a Masters program worth looking into, keeping in mind it would have to be online. So far the closest I've come is Northwestern's MPPA. Is this even a feasible career move? Do I even need another degree or is an engineering degree enough to get my foot in the door? Bleh, so much uncertainty.

I'm a fresh grad, so I can't even pretend to give you an answer, but I'm curious why you think it's such a problem to make the move? I'm asking this as someone who may be facing similar choices down the road.

I'm a bit unclear on what you're shooting for since politics, public policy and urban planning seem only loosely related (in my admittedly naive view). Are you looking at politics like an elected/appointed engineering position (i.e., city/county engineer), or as a more stereotypical politician?

What do you mean by public policy? For CE, isn't most policy established by groups comprised mostly of practicing engineers and academics (ASCE, AASHTO, etc)? Or do you mean public policy in other areas?

As for urban planning, pretty much all the transpo work done in my state (from planning to construction) is handled by the DOT. So the opportunities are either to join the DOT, a private company that the DOT contracts with, or a think tank if you're looking a bit more abstract.

Unless I've completely missed something, it seems like being a practicing engineer and getting yourself involved in the areas you want would be more helpful than that masters program. Either to be elected as a public servant, or to join committees that set policy on your area of interest, or to actually do the work yourself.

I could be way off the mark, but please do post an update or two. I'd like to learn about your experience.

Edit:

Edward IV posted:

In my opinion, it's worth it to have a current paper copy (as opposed to your old copy or the free online version). The reason I say that is because that book is your lifeline in the test. If you know the reference manual well enough, you really don't even need to study; it tells you everything. With the paper copy, you can actually practice flipping through the manual to each section you need, and you get a feel for where things physically are in the book and how they are presented. Conversely, the last thing you want is to spend 5 minutes getting flustered looking for a formula that maybe isn't presented in the same form you remember.

My experience with the FE was that it tests your focus and mental endurance more than your education. Do whatever will make you the most comfortable. For me, I knew I would be more comfortable if I was well acquainted with a physical copy of the reference manual beforehand. I know it's over-conservative, but taking away that unknown made me that much calmer on test day.

RogueLemming fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 12, 2012

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

I know K-state offers a pretty good Planning/development program. It is through their landscape architecture school but I know a few Civil's who went through it. The online program is more general so that may not be what your Looking for.

You should also think about changing firms. A PE will definitely get you in the door for most city's planning/development wing. Depending on your experience with the DoD you may start out as only doing plan review and code compliance but you'd be directly involved with city policy and land planning.

Alternatively you could look into hiring on with a private consulting firm. Sure they would mostly want to use your PE for design. However, most consulting firms have access to a wide variety of projects so you could definitely be involved in master planning for both public infrastructure and private site development, depending on the firm. Actual engineering work you'd do will vary from firm to firm. Most consulting firms push their engineers to eventual project managers where you'd be doing way more planning and managing rather than putting lines on paper.

Canadian Tapeworm
Feb 14, 2012

RogueLemming posted:

I'm a bit unclear on what you're shooting for since politics, public policy and urban planning seem only loosely related (in my admittedly naive view). Are you looking at politics like an elected/appointed engineering position (i.e., city/county engineer), or as a more stereotypical politician?

What do you mean by public policy? For CE, isn't most policy established by groups comprised mostly of practicing engineers and academics (ASCE, AASHTO, etc)? Or do you mean public policy in other areas?

As for urban planning, pretty much all the transpo work done in my state (from planning to construction) is handled by the DOT. So the opportunities are either to join the DOT, a private company that the DOT contracts with, or a think tank if you're looking a bit more abstract.

Unless I've completely missed something, it seems like being a practicing engineer and getting yourself involved in the areas you want would be more helpful than that masters program. Either to be elected as a public servant, or to join committees that set policy on your area of interest, or to actually do the work yourself.

I could be way off the mark, but please do post an update or two. I'd like to learn about your experience.

Fun fact: federal employees can't run for office!

To help me explain what is going through my head I'm going to steal a paraphrased description from the US Bureau of Labor:

"Planners develop long- and short-term plans to use the land for the growth and revitalization of urban, suburban, and rural communities, while helping local officials make decisions concerning social, economic, and environmental problems."

It's really that last bit that interests me and is where politics, planning and policy come together. A good example that really got me interested was about an elderly person living in a rural area that needed to get to the clinic for a minor medical issue. This person isn't able to drive any more so must rely on a rural bus service to get to town. How many times per day/week does the bus get around to the persons house? Who pays for it? What happens if the bus doesn't come often enough or is too inconvenienient so the person doesn't go to the clinic and his minor medical issue is now an emergency room visit that his healthcare doesn't cover? Maybe his healthcare plan is top notch but traffic systems, maintenance and street layout have been unable to keep up with a huge influx of new residents over the past few years (this is currently happening where I live) or the hospital is on the far side of town and the ambulance is unable to get him to the hospital soon enough. This one example encompasses zoning, traffic systems, busing, taxes, healthcare costs and infrastructure growth and sustainment.

That interconnectivity is what fascinates me but is also what worries me. My engineering degree is only one-third of the 'trifecta' but maybe it's enough to get started? I don't know, which is why I've been looking at grad school and why I came here.

I don't know if I've answered you or clarified anything so I'll shut up now. And I apologize for formatting, I'm on my phone.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

It's really that last bit that interests me and is where politics, planning and policy come together. A good example that really got me interested was about an elderly person living in a rural area that needed to get to the clinic for a minor medical issue. This person isn't able to drive any more so must rely on a rural bus service to get to town. How many times per day/week does the bus get around to the persons house? Who pays for it? What happens if the bus doesn't come often enough or is too inconvenienient so the person doesn't go to the clinic and his minor medical issue is now an emergency room visit that his healthcare doesn't cover? Maybe his healthcare plan is top notch but traffic systems, maintenance and street layout have been unable to keep up with a huge influx of new residents over the past few years (this is currently happening where I live) or the hospital is on the far side of town and the ambulance is unable to get him to the hospital soon enough. This one example encompasses zoning, traffic systems, busing, taxes, healthcare costs and infrastructure growth and sustainment.

That interconnectivity is what fascinates me but is also what worries me. My engineering degree is only one-third of the 'trifecta' but maybe it's enough to get started? I don't know, which is why I've been looking at grad school and why I came here.

It sounds like we have similar interests. And while your example does combine politics, planning and policy, I'm just not sure there is a single position that would address all of them. The city/state engineers may deal with the zoning and traffic/roads, but the bus routes and scheduling would likely be another city department or a private entity. The taxes and budget are of course the realm of the politicians. Maybe some of the larger firms do studies/consulting that combine these?

That US BLS job description sounds a bit fairytale-ish. I met a few Urban Planning grad students while taking GIS classes, but most of them were foreign and planning to return home with their degrees, so I'm really not sure how well it would directly translate into a job. Especially in smaller cities, I suspect that the job is just added to an existing employee's role or contracted, rather than hiring a specialist. I just can't imagine that with the tightened budgets, any level of government would want an official planner over an engineer that can participate in planning.

One thing you could try is to dig through records of projects in the city or area you want to work in. See what departments or firms did the parts of the work that interests you most, and then find out what it takes to get hired by them.

Do keep in mind that I don't actually have experience in this myself, so I'm mostly going off of what others have told me or I've observed. If you find out I'm totally wrong, let me know, it may affect my career plans.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm a senior with about two years of engineering experience. I applied to a job that was definitely out of my reach with Lego because it asked for a minimum of 5 years experience. They did however include "...we find your experience and competencies interesting...We would like to keep your data and information in our candidate database for possible future use..." It was a personally addressed email from the head HR manager. Are they being polite or do you think they're sincere about keeping my information on file?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

huhu posted:

I'm a senior with about two years of engineering experience. I applied to a job that was definitely out of my reach with Lego because it asked for a minimum of 5 years experience. They did however include "...we find your experience and competencies interesting...We would like to keep your data and information in our candidate database for possible future use..." It was a personally addressed email from the head HR manager. Are they being polite or do you think they're sincere about keeping my information on file?

If they were just trying to be polite, you would have gotten a boring form letter or nothing at all.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

huhu posted:

It means they're interested in you, but not for this job. There is a *slight* chance you'll get a call in the future if a job you're more qualified on paper for opens up. For all intents and purposes, though, it's just a polite blow-off letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

huhu posted:

Hard to say for sure. Most companies I'd dealt with included messages like that "We found your skills and experience intriguing, but we have chosen a different candidate for this position. We intend to keep your information on file for future positions, and hope you continue to monitor our careers page for future positions."

None ever did.

Mine were all obviously form letters, though. If yours was personally written it may be a different situation.

What's funny is that when I got a job, the response after the interview was "Great interview. We'll keep in touch." I had no clue what it really meant and wondered if it was just the weirdest rejection ever, but got a follow-up email with drug screening package a few weeks later. So apparently that was literally the case, they were going to keep in touch.