Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be okay with the price if they made more stuff for iphone sized screens. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
ReBirth for iPad was updated today with MIDI & WIST sync, as well as a "Duo" mode, that splits up the four instruments, so that you can jam with another person on one iPad.

It's also on sale, as well as the rest of the Korg stuff.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Audiobus is being released December 10 for $9.99: http://audiobus.tumblr.com/post/37118123240/audiobus-launch-on-december-10th

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
question: is FunkBox better than DM1 or functionally equivalent (apart from being audiobus-capable)?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Epileper posted:

question: is FunkBox better than DM1 or functionally equivalent (apart from being audiobus-capable)?

I've never used FunkBox but DM1 has effects and automation of various parameters, as well as multiple ways of getting your own samples into the app to create custom kits.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

DM1 is also free as of today.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
You can't program custom rhythms into FunkBox. It's like one of those early Roland drum machines that only has "Disco, Funk, Funk2" etc... presets.

DM-1 is more flexible.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Funkbox does let you program rhythms and load custom samples. The older versions didn't.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Woah.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
After examining funkbox a bit I'd say it has a worse interface but a bit more capable with MIDI. the clock sync works well and you can use a separate step sequencer to program a bassline, which can send itself to any MIDI-capable synth. The pitch tweaking of custom samples is a bit bugged though, I often find the samples to be pitched way too low when I tweaked them to be only a little lower than usual.

does Multitrack DAW have side-chain compression? I see that it has a compressor but there are several apps that have compressors but only two with side-chaining (SunVox and BeatMaker 2). I suppose I could wait for BM2 but there's no indication when it'll get updated for audiobus.

edit: according to a video I watched that was posted yesterday BM2 should have audiobus support soon. video showed BM2 taking input from sunrizer and funkbox on 2 separate channels, sidechaining should be totally doable.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Korg just updated all their apps, including Audiobus and various other cool features:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/12/20/korg-updates-entire-line-of-ios-apps/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Animoog also got updated with Audiobus, AudioCopy/Paste and more.

And last but not least, iMPC was released by Akai/Retronyms and for the introductory price of $6.99 it's pretty nice standalone. I've got to update the OP sometime soon.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Grain Science just got updated with Audiobus support as well.

The Animoog update is awesome. I hope Filtatron gets updated with Audiobus.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

FLX posted:

Korg just updated all their apps, including Audiobus and various other cool features:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/12/20/korg-updates-entire-line-of-ios-apps/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Animoog also got updated with Audiobus, AudioCopy/Paste and more.

And last but not least, iMPC was released by Akai/Retronyms and for the introductory price of $6.99 it's pretty nice standalone. I've got to update the OP sometime soon.

iMPC is pretty awesome and it works within tabletop if you have it

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Symphony Pro is apparently not available in the US right now? What's a decent app for writing/editing and especially transposing sheet music on an iPad?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bedurndurn posted:

Symphony Pro is apparently not available in the US right now? What's a decent app for writing/editing and especially transposing sheet music on an iPad?

Symphony Pro apparently wasn't working under iOS 6; the guy developing it promised an update in October which I guess didn't happen.

The only game in town I'm aware of is Symphonix Evolution which is... eh. The UI is pretty drat klunky (as in don't expect to do much in the first couple weeks) but it will get the job done. PDF output from it can look a bit wonky for 16th notes.

If you have a Mac, Garageband does a much better job.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

How about Notion? Is that worth a drat?

Also, has anyone experienced any problems with any of the midi adapters combined with a lightning to 30 pin adapter?

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 24, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

illBilliam posted:

Also, has anyone experienced any problems with any of the midi adapters combined with a lightning to 30 pin adapter?

From what I read, it doesn't seem to work yet :-/ But please try and tell me otherwise.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Read some good news regarding the lightning to 30 pin adapter and ios midi adapters:

Midi Designer tested a few and they all passed.
http://mididesigner.com/hardware-connections-and-new-lightning-connector/

IK Multimedia states that their midi adapter will work with the lightning to 30 pin.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?start=30&ipp=10&item_id=1595

And there are some users on the gearslutz forums claiming success with the lightning to usb adapter, amongst other things.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/782211-working-new-ipad-lightning-connector.html

I think I'll buy one and try it out in the next couple of weeks or sooner. I'd hate to see my irig midi be rendered useless. I am worried about latency though, but I'll report back to everyone when I'm finished testing.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Are there any apps that include Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch? I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^The closest I could find was Sound Epic, which has unfortunately been removed from the app store.

I bought the lightning to 30 pin adapter (cable version) and everything works great. No noticeable latency whatsoever.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

illBilliam posted:

^^^The closest I could find was Sound Epic, which has unfortunately been removed from the app store.

I bought the lightning to 30 pin adapter (cable version) and everything works great. No noticeable latency whatsoever.

Yeah turns out Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch is GPLed, so if that's what Sound Epic was using, it probably got removed for license issues. I'd love to have Paul Stretch for iOS but I'm not sure what the current policies are for GPLed software in the App Store.

BeatMaker 2's time stretching is the highest quality I've heard on iOS. Hokusai uses the latest version of DIRAC LE and it's not as good as whatever BM2 is using, surprisingly.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

illBilliam posted:

How about Notion? Is that worth a drat?

It does what it says on the tin. It can be hard to work with, but in all fairness, I'm not sure what could be done differently. It does get lots of updates.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

It does what it says on the tin. It can be hard to work with, but in all fairness, I'm not sure what could be done differently. It does get lots of updates.

Thanks for the input. More specifically I was wondering how it compares to Symphony Pro in terms of usability and stability. However, it looks like Symphony Pro is having a lot of stability issues and a lot of users are angry that it hasn't been updated since April so it's usability is a moot point until it's fixed. I'm going to go with Notion.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've watched the demo videos for both iDensity and iPulsaret, and still can't ascertain the differences between them other than the keyboard playing ability in iPulsaret. Am I missing something obvious? Should I get one or the other, or do they basically compliment each other?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

So in my quest for apps that help me make strange noises, I picked up BitWiz. Holy poo poo is this thing batshit insane. $3 well spent.

(Link to demo video on Vimeo since the forums imbed doesn't play nice on mobile devices: http://vimeo.com/42074208)

https://vimeo.com/42074208

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 8, 2013

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Thanks for making me spend money, jeez.

I've been wanting to do this for so long, and since I don't have a proper Linux box setup currently, this will fill the void. Awesome sounds and control, including a really awesome way to learn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GlitchMachine operates on a similar theme to that app.. writing equations to make noise.

It's functionally equivalent, costs the same, but has more of a low bitrate feeling to the sounds it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_GqiL6zLiw

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Steinberg has released Cubasis for iPad. $50.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ios_apps/cubasis.html

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

GlitchMachine operates on a similar theme to that app.. writing equations to make noise.

It's functionally equivalent, costs the same, but has more of a low bitrate feeling to the sounds it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_GqiL6zLiw

Yup, saw that. I went with BitWiz over it because BitWiz has a nicer interface (IMO) and, as you insinuated, BitWiz is capable of making sounds that don't just straight up sound like typical chiptune stuff.

I'm really getting into all of the granular synthesis apps for iOS lately. I've been using Grain Science ever since it came out a year ago, and I bought both iDensity and iPulsaret the other night (they're basically the same thing, but the difference in interacting with your samples makes them compliment each other pretty well). I've always been fascinated with taking audio samples from strange sources and random little bits of audio and warping them into totally new sounds. All of these iOS apps make granular synthesis really accessible.

I'm beginning to see why so many musicians who use granular synthesis tend to compose ambient and experimental techno, though. Most of the audio I end up with sounds like it belongs on either a horror movie soundtrack or as sound effects for a sci-fi movie.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

iPad as a convenient portable second screen working (with Ableton in this case) with the Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop app and Windows 8. Very little lag, can easily control a knob or fader by the touchpad but I think it's most useful just as a reference. If only it responded to multiple touch spots at once.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I've very slowly been seeing the value of iDevices for music, and in fact picked up a new iPod touch a few weeks ago just so I could check out iMaschine and Steinberg's Cubase remote app. I was out of town all last week, and iMaschine was a godsend. Instead of using the voice recorder to dictate track ideas like I normally do, I just hammered them out on the iPod, and now that I'm back home I've got the beginnings of 3 new tracks to work on. The Cubase remote is mighty nice as well, although it looks like the iPad version's a lot more full-featured. On the iPhone it's primarily just transport controls, but it's the easiest-to-use transport controller I've ever seen. Almost no configuration required.

My fingers are pretty clumsy playing on that little iPod screen though, but can't beat it for portability.

Anyway, QUESTION: Any of you guys using 3rd-gen/retina iPads with any of this stuff? I'm specifically curious about device compatibility, like with MIDI interfaces and things like the AKAI SynthStation49. Would I be better off finding a gen2 iPad, or does the existing hardware seem to be working with Lightning adapters?

EDIT: Seems I actually meant 4th-gen iPad, retina display with lightning connector.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 11, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Shovelbearer posted:

iPad as a convenient portable second screen working (with Ableton in this case) with the Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop app and Windows 8. Very little lag, can easily control a knob or fader by the touchpad but I think it's most useful just as a reference. If only it responded to multiple touch spots at once.
That's a great Idea!

Radiapathy posted:

My fingers are pretty clumsy playing on that little iPod screen though, but can't beat it for portability.

Anyway, QUESTION: Any of you guys using 3rd-gen/retina iPads with any of this stuff? I'm specifically curious about device compatibility, like with MIDI interfaces and things like the AKAI SynthStation49. Would I be better off finding a gen2 iPad, or does the existing hardware seem to be working with Lightning adapters?
Music apps on the iPad's bigger screen are a ton better than on a small iPod/iPhone display. The 3rd gen retina iPad still has the 30pin connector, but from what I've heard it isn't much faster than the (non-retina) iPad 2. The extra processing power of the iPad 3 seems to go mostly towards making the retina resolution work. Any class-compliant MIDI and audio interface should work with any iPad and the original Apple Camera Connection Kit (even the 4th gen with the lightning connector, but I haven't tried that myself yet). Just make sure the device can be powered externally, or just doesn't draw too much power.

Personally, I've tried a lot of apps on my iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad 3. The iPad 3 works best of course and the iPad 1 shouldn't be considered nowadays. Also, don't underestimate the retina screen. It's just beautifully sharp on the iPad and I wouldn't ever want to go back and read on the non-retina ones.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 11, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

FLX posted:

The 3rd gen retina iPad still has the 30pin connector, but from what I've heard it isn't much faster than the (non-retina) iPad 2.
Oh, derp, I thought all Retinas had lightning connectors; guess I really meant 4th gen. Thanks.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Intua has submitted an update for BeatMaker 2 that adds support for Audiobus, and it looks like it has been worth the wait. I can't wait to finally use this.

Here's the post with the details from their forum:

quote:

Hello everyone,

The update has been submitted to Apple, so now it's a matter of days!
We've took a bit more time to improve the user experience when using Audiobus.

We have a very stable and straightforward integration, it was worth waiting a bit more.
In the meantime, here's the feature list of version 2.4.3:

► Add Audiobus support! BeatMaker 2 can send or receive audio to/from other apps!
✓ Monitor, record, apply effects, tweak input volume, apply noise gate from apps connected to Audiobus
✓ Audio tracks are created automatically when connecting new apps or starting a new project
✓ Control the sequencer from outside BeatMaker 2 with Audiobus trigger buttons
✓ Control the sample recorder from outside BeatMaker 2
► Virtual MIDI input apps are not active by default, only controllers are
► .midi files are now recognized
► ZIP files transferred via FTP or DropBox are now unzipped automatically
► Improvements of MIDI output timestamps
► Fix an issue that could occur after putting BeatMaker in background after using SoundCloud or Dropbox
► Fix an issue that could occur when adding a new instrument/effect while sending MIDI
► Fix sample navigation when zoomed to the maximum
► Fix behavior of MUTE/SOLO buttons on the mixer
► Fix a bug that could occur when previewing very small portion of a sample in streaming
► Fix reading of float AIFF files in streaming mode
► Other stability and UI improvements

Cheers!
The Intua team.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Spectrum Analyzer has dropped from $15 to 99 cents, no idea how long it will last.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Spectrum Analyzer has dropped from $15 to 99 cents, no idea how long it will last.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like I finally have to update to iOS 6 :-/

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

So Traktor DJ looks pretty cool. Anybody tried it out yet?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Has anyone used Sonic Logic yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bsj9dTuz3A

Its basically Lemur/Touchable but looks a lot more stripped down. Looks new as there are only a few youtube clips.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

So Traktor DJ looks pretty cool. Anybody tried it out yet?

I'm not a DJ Man, but it seems very good to me. Interface is absurdly good + it actually organizes your library + does BPM analysis w/out having to drop the drat tracks in a deck first. I feel like I could learn poo poo with it, whereas DJay just felt worthless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rap Game Forum Mod posted:

I'm not a DJ Man, but it seems very good to me. Interface is absurdly good + it actually organizes your library + does BPM analysis w/out having to drop the drat tracks in a deck first. I feel like I could learn poo poo with it, whereas DJay just felt worthless to me.

This is 100% my experience, too. It's extremely deep, but as a compulsive (yet talentless) buyer of all cool music apps, the limits of what I can do in say, djay, are pretty confined.

Traktor DJ actually seems smart enough and cleverly designed enough to let me focus more on the creative than the technical.

Freezing sections and playing them like keys is amazing.

• Locked thread