Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is certainly true. However, I'm not going to put on gloves, helmet, jacket, pants, boots, and earplugs when I move my bike from one end of the parking lot to the other. Especially when I've been drinking all night.

I sometimes ride a motorcycle while drunk! For distances up to fifty yards! There are plausible constructions of circumstances that end in tragedy and death in situations like that, but I will take that risk. My trivial relocation case is one end of the spectrum. For me, the other end of the gear-up spectrum is "leaving the parking lot." Even if I'm only going another 100 yards to the drugstore.

So, rather than, you know, walking 50 yards, you'd rather go through the whole process of starting the bike, getting it warmed up, riding over, and parking again? That's the kind of decision that only makes sense drunk, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

So, rather than, you know, walking 50 yards, you'd rather go through the whole process of starting the bike, getting it warmed up, riding over, and parking again? That's the kind of decision that only makes sense drunk, I guess.

Um to be fair I've relocated my bike from my usual parking spot when uptown (next to the coffee shop I frequent, the owner lets me park in the employee parking space) which while convenient and free is off the main streets and therefor more secluded for thieves, to just a block and a half away to a spot in front of the bar I'm at.

I didn't wear any gear then either, but then again, I don't ride my bike when I'm planning to drink because I'm not an idiot.

And getting it warmed up? Some of us have bikes with fuel injection son.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Um to be fair I've relocated my bike from my usual parking spot when uptown (next to the coffee shop I frequent, the owner lets me park in the employee parking space) which while convenient and free is off the main streets and therefor more secluded for thieves, to just a block and a half away to a spot in front of the bar I'm at.

I didn't wear any gear then either, but then again, I don't ride my bike when I'm planning to drink because I'm not an idiot.

And getting it warmed up? Some of us have bikes with fuel injection son.

I've got fuel injection too, but I still contend that in the time it takes me to start the bike, putt 50 yards to the next parking lot down and park it properly, I could have just walked those 50 yards.

I guess moving it because it's somewhere it shouldn't be is OK, but I don't even want to touch my bike while drunk, not even to push it. I'm too poo poo-scared that I'll drop the drat thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dropped my Kawi with about 600mi on it the week I bought it. I'm drunk, let's go try and bounce the bike while sweeping the suspension adjusters. Welp.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Thank god for frame sliders.

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

\ Some of us have bikes with fuel injection son.

Awww geez! Something else to break!!!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

xd posted:

Thank god for frame sliders.

and pelican panniers for sure.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Krazie K posted:

Awww geez! Something else to break!!!

I think you have it the other way 'round.

As someone who'd owned and done a lot of his own maintenance on both carbed and FI cars before I got my motorcycle endorsement, I thought about buying a carbed bike... for about two seconds.
Fuel injection is sooooo much easier to maintain and tune, exponentially so. And it's worth it if only for never ever having to clean or sync another carb, ever.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Modern FI is the poo poo. I can do carbs, but I REALLY prefer FI.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Krazie K posted:

I've been on motorcycles for nearly forty years. Some truths as I see them are:

2. Motorcycle clubs are not gangs. Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMGs) are a law enforcement fabrication. While you were sleeping, the government modified the US Constitution by the "gangarization" of various groups of citizens at will, along with the loss of certain legal protections due to Nixon's ongoing "war on drugs." I love the freedoms we used to have.

What freedoms have you lost?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

I think you have it the other way 'round.

As someone who'd owned and done a lot of his own maintenance on both carbed and FI cars before I got my motorcycle endorsement, I thought about buying a carbed bike... for about two seconds.
Fuel injection is sooooo much easier to maintain and tune, exponentially so. And it's worth it if only for never ever having to clean or sync another carb, ever.

Give it a few years, once Harley Davidson releases a bike with FREEDOM INJECTION...

Edit: vvvvvv goddamn, you're right. I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat now. Still think "freedom injection" is possible HD marketing copy, though.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 18, 2012

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't the VROD already injected? Or most harleys for that matter? Or am I missing somtehing.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
All modern harleys are FI. They're air cooled, pushrod, FI motors...

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Yeah, my '10 HD Crossbones is FI and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

Isn't the VROD already injected? Or most harleys for that matter? Or am I missing somtehing.

I think they've all been FI, even the Sportsters, since '06.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think it took a little longer than that on some of the big engines (too lazy too google) but yeah at some point they said they just couldn't meet emissions with carbs any more.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

They're all gonna be water cooled soon :tinfoil:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's been in the rumor mill for a while http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/20/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know reddit is awful but I can't help myself from trying to crack thru some of the idiocy that is posted there. The new riders don't deserve the awful advice that some of them like to give. I think this thread fits in here well tho: http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/151p4s/didnt_listen_and_i_learned_the_hard_way/

tl:dr version: A guy buys a 2012 R6 off a buddy as his first bike for cheap and puts himself over the bars of it when practicing. He describes himself as "terrified of it" and asks if he should swap it for a 250, and most of the people in the thread tell him to keep the R6.

edit: The OP replied to me tho and seems like they'd go for a smaller bike so there's that at least :unsmith:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 18, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

I know reddit is awful but I can't help myself from trying to crack thru some of the idiocy that is posted there. The new riders don't deserve the awful advice that some of them like to give. I think this thread fits in here well tho: http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/151p4s/didnt_listen_and_i_learned_the_hard_way/

tl:dr version: A guy buys a 2012 R6 off a buddy as his first bike for cheap and puts himself over the bars of it when practicing. He describes himself as "terrified of it" and asks if he should swap it for a 250, and most of the people in the thread tell him to keep the R6.

edit: The OP replied to me tho and seems like they'd go for a smaller bike so there's that at least :unsmith:

Eh looks like you did solid there. The OP ignored most of the idiots and actually replied to you and seemed to listen.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Conversation with a friend while checking out the Yamaha section at the moto show this weekend-
"[Wife] wants to get an R1, so I want to check it out. She really likes them."
"I had no idea she was into bikes. That's cool. You going to get a 250 or something like it to start her out on?"
"No, she just wants an R1."
"But that bike's way too much for her to start on."
"She doesn't care about engine size. She just likes how it looks."
It really boggled my mind, because this is the same guy who refused to let me ride his 250 before I took my MSF course. Maybe he's (sub)consciously hoping she'll crash.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's pretty much why the CBR250R is cool. Looks like a CBR, is a CBR, is also a 250.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Reading that reddit thread, holy gently caress -

Le Fine Motor Control lolwut? posted:

One finger on an r6 can bring you to a normal controlled stop. 2 fingers can put you over the bars. 4 fingers is just asking for trouble

clutchpuck posted:

That's pretty much why the CBR250R is cool. Looks like a CBR, is a CBR, is also a 250.

CBR125 4 lyfe, if I physically can't break speed limits I'm ultra safe.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pope Mobile posted:

Conversation with a friend while checking out the Yamaha section at the moto show this weekend-
"[Wife] wants to get an R1, so I want to check it out. She really likes them."
"I had no idea she was into bikes. That's cool. You going to get a 250 or something like it to start her out on?"
"No, she just wants an R1."
"But that bike's way too much for her to start on."
"She doesn't care about engine size. She just likes how it looks."
It really boggled my mind, because this is the same guy who refused to let me ride his 250 before I took my MSF course. Maybe he's (sub)consciously hoping she'll crash.

Life insurance policy on her?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wootcannon posted:

CBR125 4 lyfe, if I physically can't break speed limits I'm ultra safe.
I just discovered this today.

http://www.derbi.com/int/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=349

Yes it's a 50. No, it's not Chinese.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
They make a 125 motard...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

They make a 125 motard...

A mechanic at Ducati Seattle has a 2-stroke 50cc Derbi supermoto that's a few years old, and I'm pretty sure it looks like the most fun ever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aprilia do a 125 and a 50 that are dead ringers for the RSV4 (including radial brakes).

Of course they're boring old 4-strokes making a pathetic EU-mandated 11 bhp and 3.5 bhp respectively, rather than the 2-stroke, 35bhp lunacy they replaced. gently caress polar bears, I want to buy a 75bhp, 110kg 250.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone recently approached my friend who owns a VTR1000 firestorm.

:clint: hey a honda! you know what they say...
:confused: no, what do they say...?
:clint: you can't fly, without wings *points at honda wing logo* that's why you get a honda!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aprilia do a 125 and a 50 that are dead ringers for the RSV4 (including radial brakes).

Of course they're boring old 4-strokes making a pathetic EU-mandated 11 bhp and 3.5 bhp respectively, rather than the 2-stroke, 35bhp lunacy they replaced. gently caress polar bears, I want to buy a 75bhp, 110kg 250.

The Honda NS-1 has been around for a while too. I was kiiinda thinking about picking one up when I needed a 50cc earlier this year, but wound up going with something more classically styled instead (Yamaha YB-1).

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vy3DScP1sg
Don't forget to change the air in your tires, or this could happen to you.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vy3DScP1sg

...change?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, yeah. Winter air in winter, summer air in summer, or just rotate every 2000 miles if you live in a place with a stable climate.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You don't know about the potential consequences of leaving old air in your tires?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

You don't know about the potential consequences of leaving old air in your tires?

My ties never survive long enough for this to be an issue...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

My ties never survive long enough for this to be an issue...

Probably because you're running cold weather air in the summertime!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I'm selling bottled tropical air. Let me know if you're interested, $20 a can, lighter than regular air, a can does two tires.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Probably because you're running cold weather air in the summertime!

Nah, I'm a hunchback and my ties get caught in the shredder all the time...:cripes:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

They ARE good crashers!

What was with that track entry? That's worse than I5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Look, it's not that difficult. I just remove all my gunky old winter air, pour filtered (HEPA - very important. You don't want to cheap out on a tire air filter) air into my decanter, let it breathe for a few minutes, then slowly (important!) fill the tire at a low psi with fresh air.

Just takes 30 minutes every few months and it could save a life. C'mon, if you didn't want to do your own wrenching then you shouldn't have a bike.

• Locked thread