Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Also very recently, David Brin's Existence and of course from the golden age of sci-fi, Pohl's Gateway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dirty Frank posted:

Looking for a romance book for my Grandma, obviously I can just hit amazon and the bestsellers list, but I really don't want to accidentally buy something with tons of sex or violence in it (Grandma might like that poo poo but I bet she wouldn't want it from me). I know she likes Daniele Steel enough that she probably has everything already. So any romance loving goons with a good recommendation?

Valeria's Last Stand and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand would both work, although there's a chance she's read the latter (and no, they're not by the same author or related in any way).

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I'd recommend Song of the Beast and Flesh and Spirit + Breath and Bone over Rai-Kirah, personally; they hit the same themes but, I think, do it much better.

I rather feel like all of her works are thematically similar, but the shorter they are, the better; Song of the Beast was fantastic, but Rai-Kirah was merely ok and I barely completed Bridge d'Arnath.

The one time I don't recommend the Lighthouse Duet first is the one time someone else mentions it for me. :v: I do prefer those and her Collegia Magica series by a fair margin, but Rai-kireh sounded closest to the request, and Lighthouse's protagonist can be off-putting to some (for the very same reasons that make him one of my all-time favorite characters, even). Song of the Beast is solid too.

Seriously though read whatever you can find by her. Except Bridge of D'Arnath. I can't even bring myself to start the third book.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I have a request.

We just finished watching season 5 of new Doctor Who, and this one - especially the season finale - had a lot of, for lack of a better phrase, time travel shenanigans. People leaving messages for their past selves, crossing their own timelines, running into each other in different orders, and so forth. Turning the "timeline" into a "time yarn ball".

I love this sort of stuff but I've read very few books that do it at all, let alone do it well. To Say Nothing of the Dog is probably closest, and it's still not quite what I'm looking for. Homestuck would be it, if it were comprehensible. And finished. And a good book rather than an animated webcomic. But it has the same kind of time-tangling madness that I'm looking for.

So. Can anyone recommend books (or short stories) along these lines?

Echo Cian posted:

The one time I don't recommend the Lighthouse Duet first is the one time someone else mentions it for me. :v:

:tipshat:

quote:

I do prefer those and her Collegia Magica series by a fair margin, but Rai-kireh sounded closest to the request, and Lighthouse's protagonist can be off-putting to some (for the very same reasons that make him one of my all-time favorite characters, even). Song of the Beast is solid too.

Collegia Magica? A new series by Carol Berg I haven't read? And it's on par with Lighthouse for quality?

I know what I'm getting my wife and myself for christmas. :v:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Valeria's Last Stand and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand would both work, although there's a chance she's read the latter (and no, they're not by the same author or related in any way).

Thanks! I've actally read a bit of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, not my cup of tea but its a good idea for Grandma and gives me faith that you know what you're talking about with the other recommendation. She's getting both of them, hopefully she hasn't read either.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I have a request.

We just finished watching season 5 of new Doctor Who, and this one - especially the season finale - had a lot of, for lack of a better phrase, time travel shenanigans. People leaving messages for their past selves, crossing their own timelines, running into each other in different orders, and so forth. Turning the "timeline" into a "time yarn ball".

I love this sort of stuff but I've read very few books that do it at all, let alone do it well. To Say Nothing of the Dog is probably closest, and it's still not quite what I'm looking for. Homestuck would be it, if it were comprehensible. And finished. And a good book rather than an animated webcomic. But it has the same kind of time-tangling madness that I'm looking for.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dirty Frank posted:

Thanks! I've actally read a bit of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, not my cup of tea but its a good idea for Grandma and gives me faith that you know what you're talking about with the other recommendation. She's getting both of them, hopefully she hasn't read either.

Not mine, either, but I work in a bookstore and have to answer these kinds of questions. Be aware that there are a few sex scenes in Valeria, should've mentioned that before.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I have a request.

David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself is a novel that certainly makes a big timeline tangle. In other respects it is good, though not great, but it is nothing if not thorough when it comes to the possibilities.

Charles Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe is much better written but perhaps less, uh, literal than what you had in mind. It's hard to describe but it uses time travel (and other science fiction concepts) for their emotional and metaphorical impact. Time travel in particular is an expression of regret for past actions and missed opportunities.

Finally I'd mention Robert Charles Wilson's Chronoliths. Wilson's books usually have great premises and this novel had one of his best: in the near future, enormous monuments start appearing out of nowhere in major cities, commemorating the victories of a warlord named Kuin twenty years in the future. This isn't really as tangled as what you describe but it's one of the most novel time travel premises I've encountered. While I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending (it's been a long time though and I can't remember the details) it's a concept that's stuck with me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

We just finished watching season 5 of new Doctor Who, and this one - especially the season finale - had a lot of, for lack of a better phrase, time travel shenanigans.
The common ones have been mentioned, but you also might want to consider The Light of Other Days, the last novel A.C. Clarke published, and IMO one of the best books he ever wrote. Also, Timescape by Gregory Benford. Both are of a mystery bent, similar to Cronoliths, taking place in the near-modern day, though they are more about dealing with changes and societal shifts due to the ability to interact or see the future/past rather than with shenanigans.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 16, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I just finished Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. Are there any other books that use music as a background plot device or is that it.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I have a request.

:tipshat:

Collegia Magica? A new series by Carol Berg I haven't read? And it's on par with Lighthouse for quality?

I know what I'm getting my wife and myself for christmas. :v:

Don't read End of Eternity, unless you absolutely love Asimov. It was infuriatingly misogynistic. I only finished it because I love Asimov.

I recommend anything by Connie Willis. Blackout is the first one I read, and I was hooked. Blackout is about time travelers stuck in London during WWII, and it's pretty great.

To Say Nothing of the Dog is more lighthearted, it has a Doctor Who meets Downton Abbey feel to it.

Doomsday Book was great, but it's a lot bleaker than the other two.

Edit: you mentioned To Say Nothing of the Dog... whoops!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I realize this may not be the best thing to admit to, but I enjoy Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. I'm wondering if there are any comparable (and possibly better written?) series out there that people might recommend.

I need new plane books!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any books for the 1870 Franco-German War? Been reading about the first world war, it seems not knowing much about 1870 sort of hampers the understanding of German-Franco standings/relations.

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!

CancerStick posted:

I'm looking for a good book to read related to medicine. Not the science, but perhaps the human side? Perhaps something written by a physician that discusses previous cases.

You may enjoy Fool or Physician by Anthony Daniels. It recounts various anecdotes from clinical practice in some of the remoter corners of the world. A really compelling read.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hey guys, am still getting around to reading about heist stuff. But another thing I was wondering. Are there any novels or short stories featuring Gigantor-style massive mecha robots? Obviously there are tons of cartoons and stuff, but has anything interesting been written on that subject? Fiction, of course.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

bollig posted:

Are there any novels or short stories featuring Gigantor-style massive mecha robots? Obviously there are tons of cartoons and stuff, but has anything interesting been written on that subject? Fiction, of course.
No.

Next question?

Seriously, though, big human-shaped robots are the peculiar obsession of the Japanese. I don't know of any original English fiction involving them, though if there is I'm sure someone here will know. Heinlein's Starship Troopers and John Steakley's Armor are good novels involving power armor but that's not really the same thing.

Your best bet is probably to look through Haikasoru's inventory. They translate Japanese SF novels into English. I can't recommend from experience but I've heard good things about All You Need is Kill.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Lex Talionis posted:

No.

Next question?

Seriously, though, big human-shaped robots are the peculiar obsession of the Japanese. I don't know of any original English fiction involving them, though if there is I'm sure someone here will know. Heinlein's Starship Troopers and John Steakley's Armor are good novels involving power armor but that's not really the same thing.

Your best bet is probably to look through Haikasoru's inventory. They translate Japanese SF novels into English. I can't recommend from experience but I've heard good things about All You Need is Kill.
John Steakley's Armor READ IT NOW so good even if dated. It is amazing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Joramun posted:

End of Eternity, By His Bootstraps, -All You Zombies-, Prisoner of Azkaban, The Man who Folded Himself

Lex Talionis posted:

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, The Chronoliths

Bhodi posted:

The Light of Other Days, Timescape

Thanks for the recommendations! I've already read Prisoner of Azkaban, and I've tried a few times (and failed each time) to get through The Chronoliths, but I'll definitely check out the rest.

dopaMEAN posted:

Blackout, To Say Nothing of the Dog, Doomsday Book

I've read most of Connie Willis's books, including To Say Nothing of the Dog and Doomsday Book. I don't think I've read Blackout, though. I'll check that out too.

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Can anyone recommend me a book in the genre of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" or "The Hobbit"? Just a fun read, but interesting.

I also like (this is completely different from the previous books) "American Psycho" and "Less Than Zero".

"The Old Man and the Sea" is also something I've enjoyed recently.

drat it, I just need more books! Feel free to recommend any book that is similar to the ones I've mentioned!

Thanks in advance.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bollig posted:

Hey guys, am still getting around to reading about heist stuff. But another thing I was wondering. Are there any novels or short stories featuring Gigantor-style massive mecha robots? Obviously there are tons of cartoons and stuff, but has anything interesting been written on that subject? Fiction, of course.
Battletech, but you should probably avoid it because it is universally terrible. They do go the extra mile on sound effects, though!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

eravulgaris posted:

I also like (this is completely different from the previous books) "American Psycho" and "Less Than Zero".

How about some other mid-80s Brat Pack stuff: Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City, Tama Janowitz's Slaves of New York or Sad Movies by Mark Lindquist?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Battletech, but you should probably avoid it because it is universally terrible. They do go the extra mile on sound effects, though!

There's also a series of english Robotech novelizations. I have no idea if they're any good and I'm not about to read them to find out, but they exist.

Drop the "humanoid" requirement and you have more scope. Mind-machine interfaces and powerful war machines with a crew of one aren't exactly super-rare themes in science fiction; it's just that most authors make the machine part more, well, vehicular - tanks, or fighters, or starships. When they're more humanoid, they tend to be either power armour or telepresence rigs rather than colossi.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

bollig posted:

Depending on definitions, I'd say John Scalzi's Old Man's War kinda fits. It's more Avatar-style than actual mecha robots though...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

There's also a series of english Robotech novelizations. I have no idea if they're any good and I'm not about to read them to find out, but they exist.

Read and loved these in middle school and, while I doubt my older self would find the writing terribly appealing, I remember more plot points and characters from them than many things I've read since.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

eravulgaris posted:

Can anyone recommend me a book in the genre of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" or "The Hobbit"? Just a fun read, but interesting.

"The Old Man and the Sea" is also something I've enjoyed recently.

drat it, I just need more books! Feel free to recommend any book that is similar to the ones I've mentioned!

Thanks in advance.

Have you read Rules of Attraction or Ellis follow up to Less Than Zero Imperial Bedrooms?

Edit: you need to check out The Secret History which is an awesome take on Camden by another author.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 18, 2012

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Ulio posted:

Any books for the 1870 Franco-German War? Been reading about the first world war, it seems not knowing much about 1870 sort of hampers the understanding of German-Franco standings/relations.

I don't know a definitive history of the period, but Zola wrote a series of realist novels on the second empire and the third republic, one of which features Sedan. Google tells me it was La Debacle. I haven't read them yet, but this might prompt me to finally start.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm definitely interesting, I don't mind a fictitious story as long it states the truth. Zola's novels are written during the sametime as the events thats interesting since most non fiction about major events are written years later. Also guessing there will be some bias since Zola is french.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

BlazinLow305 posted:

I'm looking for any book with a really interesting plot dealing with supernatural mysteries and such. I'm not too sure how to describe what I want, but the television show LOST is a good example. Something rich with "what the gently caress is going on, this is crazy this kind of poo poo isn't supposed to happen" type of feeling to it if that makes sense. It doesn't have to be exactly like LOST with wrecked survivors, basically just be a somewhat easy read with a really grabbing plot because I've been slogging through a slow moving book lately and I'm finding myself a bit ADD to read on it every night.

I googled "supernatural mystery" and it seems a lot of the results were "cops look for things but with some supernatural poo poo too" that seemed boring. I don't necessarily care about ghosts or vampires, supernatural might not even be the right word I'm looking for honestly. I guess I've just gotten so tired of the boring reading I've done lately and just want something I can get lost in really easy.

edit: If it helps elucidate any, Under The Dome by Stephen King is a fairly good example. I thought that book in particular was generally okay, mostly because King usually is pretty weak on endings. However, it's a good example of the type of thing I'm looking for. Basically "really crazy inexplicable thing(s) happening" that the drive of the book is unraveling the mystery of it.

Reposting this just one more time since it only got one reply. Basically, anything that's an interesting fun read. Preferably something fairly recent(within the last 20 years or so, but this isn't a big deal). Also, like I said it doesn't have to be supernatural specifically, just anything that wouldn't actually happen like aliens, end of the world, etc. I'm basically looking for material for my light reading. I usually read a lot of King for that, but I've gotten pretty tired of him lately. Sorry for the repost, just going crazy trying to figure out what to read for my before bedtime trashy stuff.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

BlazinLow305 posted:

Reposting this just one more time since it only got one reply. Basically, anything that's an interesting fun read. Preferably something fairly recent(within the last 20 years or so, but this isn't a big deal). Also, like I said it doesn't have to be supernatural specifically, just anything that wouldn't actually happen like aliens, end of the world, etc. I'm basically looking for material for my light reading. I usually read a lot of King for that, but I've gotten pretty tired of him lately. Sorry for the repost, just going crazy trying to figure out what to read for my before bedtime trashy stuff.
Wool by Hugh Howey might actually fit this. Part 1 is free on Amazon. It's not quite got tonnes of action, but it's got that sense of wtf as the world expands. It's self-published, but it's not crap, relative to what's on the shelves at local big-name bookstore -- it's been an NYT bestseller and Ridley Scott actually bought the film rights.

Maaaybe The Raw Shark Texts, but that's not totally "light" in the way I think you mean (but it's not "heavy" either).

Neil Gaiman might also be appropriate, but I'm not sure which.

There are a whole bunch of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and similar cheap thrills short story anthologies that I've enjoyed as before-bed crazy-twists-and-easy-reading filler. But that might not give you the sense of crazy expanding plot that just keeps building upon itself.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
For what it's worth, by light I just mean fairly easy to get into. I don't mind a book being long or even fairly in depth at all. Anything that won't leave me lost trying to understand what's going on basically, seeing as I like to read for a hour or five before bed every night.

edit: I looked at Wool on wikipedia. It seems interesting from what I could tell of it. However I'm looking for something where the book begins with things being "normal" I guess, and then whatever crazy thing happens with the characters reacting to it and dealing with it. As an example, The Sign by Raymond Khoury which was alright but I really enjoyed the premise although the phenomenon in the book wound up being a man made hoax. Sorry, I just realized how picky I sound. :ohdear:

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 19, 2012

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

Neil Gaiman might also be appropriate, but I'm not sure which.

I agree, both Neverwhere and American Gods are great.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I believe I'll give American Gods a try. For some reason reading the summary kind of reminded me of the show Supernatural, what with many myths and urban legends being real. This isn't a bad thing in my opinion, I quite enjoyed the show.

I was browsing on goodread.com and The Genesis Secret,http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6361796-the-genesis-secret?a=5&origin=related_works seems like it might be worth a try too, although it only has a 3/5 rating. For what it's worth, I enjoy Dan Brown books for what they are.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

BlazinLow305 posted:

I know I just mentioned him and I swear I'm not Robert Charles Wilson's publicist, but I think he might fit the bill here. A lot of his novels involve the protagonist trying to get to the truth behind some strange premise. Mysterium (1994) is about a small town in Michigan that one day, out of nowhere, ends up in an alternate universe. Chronoliths (2001) I mentioned already: warlord in the future sending monuments back in time to commemorate victories...or so the writing on them claims. His most successful book is Spin (2005), where one day the stars and Moon vanish. I liked all these but I suppose Spin is the best. It's the one that won a Hugo and spawned a few sequels.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks for the help guys, quite a few of these seem very interesting so I put them in my queue. I think so far I'll give Spin and American Gods a shot first. Also remembered I liked Andromeda Strain, and Sphere by Crichton seems interesting as well. If anyone thinks it's kind of lovely, please let me know.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 19, 2012

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
I just reread Haunting of Hill House and am in the mood for more creepy books. Not so much "Boo a ghost" type stuff (though ghost stories are definitely OK), but creepy and unsettling. Other examples would be House of Leaves (the Navidson record parts). I guess more a more subtle, psychological creepy. What will make me sleep with the lights on?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Not mine, either, but I work in a bookstore and have to answer these kinds of questions. Be aware that there are a few sex scenes in Valeria, should've mentioned that before.
Sure it won't matter, my main concern was not accidentally buying porn romance, quite a lot of the amazon bestseller list for romance really looks like that. Maybe I'll get my Sister to vet it before Grandma has a chance to read it just to be safe...

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Micomicona posted:

I just reread Haunting of Hill House and am in the mood for more creepy books. Not so much "Boo a ghost" type stuff (though ghost stories are definitely OK), but creepy and unsettling. Other examples would be House of Leaves (the Navidson record parts). I guess more a more subtle, psychological creepy. What will make me sleep with the lights on?

Hell House by Richard Matheson. This book and Haunting of Hill House are my top 2 for awesome haunted house stories.

Also good but not as great is House of Lost Souls by FG Cottam. It's got a bit of the House of Leaves 'diary of someone dead who was involved in some crazy poo poo' sort of deal but not quite as PoMo as House of Leaves. Also, Aleister Crowley is a character in this book, how can you go wrong?

Also creepy but very weird creepy is the Cipher by Kathe Koja. It's about this dude and his gf who live in an apartment and find this hole to another dimension in the basement. Whenever they throw poo poo in the hole it comes back all hosed up. It's pretty weird and well written.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Micomicona posted:

Have you read King's Salem's Lot? Yes it is about vampires, but the house in book is his version of Hill House. Salem's Lot is the reason I read Haunting of Hill House. Also King's Shining might be right up your alley too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Micomicona posted:

I love the recommendations that have been given so far, and I'd add Charles MacLean's The Watcher.