Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Netflix Streaming is much better if you approach it as "what kind of awesome stuff can I watch" (which is exactly what this thread is about) rather than "they'd better have the movie I'm thinking of or else they're worthless."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

FrostedButts posted:

Most Mormons take that kinda stuff way too seriously. There was this one movie made for Mormon in which their idea of man going down the wrong path was drinking beer and watching MTV.

That movie was a satire if it's the one I think you're talking about, The Singles Ward. Those movies are made to play on stereotypes and its hard to appreciate if you're not used to Mormon culture.

The rated-R movie thing comes down to personal preference. I'm an active member of the church and don't have a problem with many movies, some make me uncomfortable but there is no hard and fast rule. In fact, you'll find a lot of members that watch all movies, especially members 30 years old and under. Cleanflicks was a dumb idea and I'm glad it's not around anymore, but a lot of the overly strict Mormons miss it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Holy Dread! posted:

That movie was a satire if it's the one I think you're talking about, The Singles Ward. Those movies are made to play on stereotypes and its hard to appreciate if you're not used to Mormon culture.

The rated-R movie thing comes down to personal preference. I'm an active member of the church and don't have a problem with many movies, some make me uncomfortable but there is no hard and fast rule. In fact, you'll find a lot of members that watch all movies, especially members 30 years old and under. Cleanflicks was a dumb idea and I'm glad it's not around anymore, but a lot of the overly strict Mormons miss it.

i may be a weird dude and totally alone in this, but i would really prefer watching a pg13 version of game of thrones. most risque stuff doesn't bother me at all, but i'm seriously contemplating trying to hack together an edited GOT

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

i may be a weird dude and totally alone in this, but i would really prefer watching a pg13 version of game of thrones. most risque stuff doesn't bother me at all, but i'm seriously contemplating trying to hack together an edited GOT

I can see it. GRRM's stuff is really uncomfortable and not in a good way.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Has anybody else seen The Story of Film: An Odyssey? I watched (or am watching) it after reading a review for the DVD on the AV Club, and I've enjoyed what I've seen. It doesn't really try to be a complete history of film, but more of broad overview of some of the trends that have emerged throughout cinema. I've seen or heard about a lot of the movies it covers, but it does a good job of covering films from foreign and women directors that've been ignored. I've read a lot of people complaining about the narrator's voice, but I've gotten completely used to it, and it's soothing in a way. The only real complaint I have is some of his metaphors seem like a stretch, especially the Hollywood-as-Christmas ornament. but hey, 15 hours of film love, if you're into that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FrostedButts posted:

This seems like the modern age equivalent of getting angry at the video store for not having the movie you want in stock.

Except you're paying far less for this instantly available service that spends millions of dollars just so they can acquire some big titles and TV shows.

If you're really that cheap, you can rent it off Amazon Instant for a dollar.

Yes I am that cheap, and thanks for reminding me of that option!

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Dunno how long it's been up on Netflix but Tarsem's "The Fall" is up on streaming and I've been meaning to watch this film for the longest.

Visuals were amazing as usual for him, but I feel like if he could just get a better script his films would be phenomenal. Seems like both "The Cell" and "The Fall" suffer from being really interesting ideas haphazardly thrown into a lovely script.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SirPhoebos posted:

I saw 'The Hobbit' last night, and it put me in the mood for rewatching Fellowshiip. So I go looking for it on Netflix Streaming...and see that it's not available.
...well gently caress you, too, Netflix. I was looking for a way to save money anyways.

Strangely they ARE available on the Scandinavian versions of Netflix so if you can get around their restrictions and get to those (I think unblock-us offers that service too and they have a 7 day trial without having to enter a credit card) enjoy.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

I saw 'The Hobbit' last night, and it put me in the mood for rewatching Fellowshiip. So I go looking for it on Netflix Streaming...and see that it's not available.
...well gently caress you, too, Netflix. I was looking for a way to save money anyways.

The pawn the ring and buy blow with the money.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Drunk Tomato posted:

It's not that weird. For instance, I only watch Judd Apatow movies when they're on TV, because I'm not watching those unedited with my parents. Not to be all, Wayne-Brady-on-30-Rock*, but I have zero desire to hear about blowjobs and butthole pleasures while I'm with my folks.

I really wouldn't mind a PG-13 version of GoT for the same reason as you. I think "family friendliness" has its place, and I have no problem with edited films as long as they're presented side-by-side as alternatives and not as replacements.

* Which is S01E16 on Netflix. By the way.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 16, 2012

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Kithyen posted:

Dunno how long it's been up on Netflix but Tarsem's "The Fall" is up on streaming and I've been meaning to watch this film for the longest.

Visuals were amazing as usual for him, but I feel like if he could just get a better script his films would be phenomenal. Seems like both "The Cell" and "The Fall" suffer from being really interesting ideas haphazardly thrown into a lovely script.

Immortals is by far my favorite movie of Singh's. But really, even with the lackluster scripts he works with, I wouldn't call any of his movies bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
For that matter, I wouldn't even call the scripts themselves "bad", they're just boilerplate. They're the bare minimum required for a collection of printed words to be called a script... sparse dialogue, minimal real "action". I'd like to see Tarsem Singh's visual notes side-by-side with his working scripts just to compare the difference between the two.

I think it's less that he needs "better scripts", but more that he needs to stop trying to make his movies fit into conventional storytelling formats, with action and dialogue. If he just made mostly-silent, visual films he'd be alright.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

WickedIcon posted:

Why do Mormons take the "no R-rated movies" thing that seriously? Who honestly gives that much of a poo poo?

Why do people believe things I do not believe, it makes no sense

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tewratomeh posted:

For that matter, I wouldn't even call the scripts themselves "bad", they're just boilerplate. They're the bare minimum required for a collection of printed words to be called a script... sparse dialogue, minimal real "action". I'd like to see Tarsem Singh's visual notes side-by-side with his working scripts just to compare the difference between the two.

I think it's less that he needs "better scripts", but more that he needs to stop trying to make his movies fit into conventional storytelling formats, with action and dialogue. If he just made mostly-silent, visual films he'd be alright.

So basically Valhalla Rising

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

meanolmrcloud posted:

This tread needs more love of American Horror Story. It's extremely well produced, rarely has cheap scares (and when they do a jump-cut sort of thing, its actually loving terrifying) and feels legitimately above the curve in terms of intelligence and writing. It has a distinctive tone that hits the all the cliched or 'classic' notes, while skirting worship or pandering to them and is extremely confident in the originality it does produce (see the intro, which is deeply unsettling). Also, I don't watch a lot of current television, nor am I prudish, but its pretty amazing how some of the things can be broadcast.

The second season is a marvel just to see how they can top the crazy, and I'm even MORE shocked some of the stuff gets broadcast Shown wire hanger abortion, disturbing sexual assaults, numerous disembowelments etc

Are you kidding? AHS is a fun show, but it's mostly because it's a show that seems to be produced entirely by a team of ADD people who are off their meds. The plots and writing is nonsensical and characters drift in and out of the show without rhyme or reason. The first season barely made an effort to explain the logic of the ghost world, and the second season just tosses in random poo poo every episode with more emphasis on EDGY poo poo, DAWG than any kind of coherent character interaction or narrative.

It's a really fun show to watch, but that's because it's so poorly written and so interested in tossing a dozen twists into a single episode instead of producing a show that makes sense or cares about being scary.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize how old that post was. :/

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

SirPhoebos posted:

To be somewhat fair to this post, Fellowship was streaming for a long time and has probably only recently been taken off.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a bit strange to make an industry ratings board's decisions part of your religious beliefs.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

more friedman units posted:

It's a bit strange to make an industry ratings board's decisions part of your religious beliefs.
Considering that the MPAA basically rates movies on "what would my grandmother find objectionable" (watch This Film Is Not Yet Rated for an excellent look at how insane the MPAA review process is) it's not so weird. If a movie gets an R rating it's pretty much guaranteed to have objectionable content for conservative family folk.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TrixRabbi posted:

To be somewhat fair to this post, Fellowship was streaming for a long time and has probably only recently been taken off.

I'm pretty sure it was part of the Starz deal that has expired.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm pretty sure it was part of the Starz deal that has expired.

I'm almost positive it was still streaming just up until a month or so ago.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

It just confuses me that they conflate fiction and reality to that degree. Making the type of fiction one consumes into a religious matter is beyond odd in my opinion.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

WickedIcon posted:

It just confuses me that they conflate fiction and reality to that degree. Making the type of fiction one consumes into a religious matter is beyond odd in my opinion.
Religion itself is a story for people to believe in. Most people don't like having their beliefs challenged. It's easier to remove these bad things than to confront them and say "yes, this exists, but I'll hold to my beliefs".

Most religious people don't like to have their faith tested, and the sinful ways of modern cinema can certainly test a person.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FrostedButts posted:

I just wanted to mention this little documentary that popped up called Cleanflix, focusing on the business in Utah of editing R-rated movies for Mormons.

I found it interesting to see how Mormons attempt to work around their strict rule for no R-rated movies by participating in funding an essentially illegal process. You also get to see first hand the footage that was cut in comparison to the original version. One thing that bothered me about the whole concept that was never addressed in the film is that if Mormon aren't supposed to watch R-rated movies aren't the editors cutting out the naughty bits technically viewing an R-rated movie? Or is there some loophole for this I'm not aware of?

Haha wow. Not a bad documentary but then the twist at the loving end.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

FrostedButts posted:

This seems like the modern age equivalent of getting angry at the video store for not having the movie you want in stock.

Except you're paying far less for this instantly available service that spends millions of dollars just so they can acquire some big titles and TV shows.

If you're really that cheap, you can rent it off Amazon Instant for a dollar.

I can't agree with this more, everyone should own the LOTR trilogy on blu-ray regardless.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Volume posted:

Haha wow. Not a bad documentary but then the twist at the loving end.

I didn't get much sleep on Saturday night, so when that twist happened I kind of straightened up in my seat, rewound a minute or two and tried to shake myself awake because I was certain I had dreamt it.

I have to admit that I started watching this because I was sleepy and wanted something I could just simply agree with while nodding off. I thought that it would be a ninety minute tirade against Mormonism, censorship, and artless Bowdlerization, three topics that are traditionally hot-button subjects for me. I was surprised, then, when midway through the movie I began to sympathize with the Mormons who just wanted to be able to watch the airline and network edits on their own time. In a perfect world these cut versions wouldn't exist at all, but if the studios are in the business of producing sanitized versions for certain markets, why not sell those versions to demanding customers? Arguments of artistic integrity are kind of moot after you've heard an overdubbing of "Yippee kay yay, Mister Falcon."

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

This has probably been mentioned in here, but I just started watching Fishing With John and it's fantastic. I really want to know what pissed Tom Waits off so much that he stopped talking to John Lurie for two years. He seemed fine if just a little annoyed in the episode he's in.

Also, footage from the first episode with Jim Jarmusch shows up in the Spongebob Squarepants episode "Hooky."

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Fishing with John is incredible and way ahead of its time.

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...

TrixRabbi posted:

This has probably been mentioned in here, but I just started watching Fishing With John and it's fantastic.

The episode with Willem Dafoe is my favorite, but the narrator is brilliant throughout.

The fishermen are covered in sores and boners.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I just signed up for Netflix, and I've been burning through Louie...

I was wondering though, does letting the video buffer actually accomplish anything?

I'm having awful syncing issues with video/audio, and I was wondering if just letting each episode load first might go some ways to fixing it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PriorMarcus posted:

I just signed up for Netflix, and I've been burning through Louie...

I was wondering though, does letting the video buffer actually accomplish anything?

I'm having awful syncing issues with video/audio, and I was wondering if just letting each episode load first might go some ways to fixing it.

Are you using a PS3? I had terrible sync issues until I noticed I had set my PS3 to output both to optical and HDMI. When I just picked one, no more problems.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Collects Welfare posted:

The episode with Willem Dafoe is my favorite, but the narrator is brilliant throughout.

The fishermen are covered in sores and boners.

The Fishing with John with Willem Dafoe is one of the greatest pieces of television I have ever seen.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
A cuddlesome Willem Dafoe is something I didn't realize was missing from my life until Fishing with John.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Kro-Bar posted:

Are you kidding? AHS is a fun show, but it's mostly because it's a show that seems to be produced entirely by a team of ADD people who are off their meds. The plots and writing is nonsensical and characters drift in and out of the show without rhyme or reason. The first season barely made an effort to explain the logic of the ghost world, and the second season just tosses in random poo poo every episode with more emphasis on EDGY poo poo, DAWG than any kind of coherent character interaction or narrative.

It's a really fun show to watch, but that's because it's so poorly written and so interested in tossing a dozen twists into a single episode instead of producing a show that makes sense or cares about being scary.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize how old that post was. :/

Watches a show about ghosts, angry at not logically explaining said ghosts.

It does try to be edgy, and it succeeds because a) it looks gorgeous and b) it's not stereotypical and constantly surprising. Seriously, the lighting and camerawork on the show is a thing of beauty and goes a million miles to set the tone.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

Watches a show about ghosts, angry at not logically explaining said ghosts.

It does try to be edgy, and it succeeds because a) it looks gorgeous and b) it's not stereotypical and constantly surprising. Seriously, the lighting and camerawork on the show is a thing of beauty and goes a million miles to set the tone.

It's also actually really well written, but it's not SciFi, it's Horror, so I don't understand why that dude was expecting lengthy monologues about the nature of ghosts and their limitations.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I was just checking out netflix tonight, and I saw that Classic Doctor Who is on streaming

Holy god drat gently caress, I've never seen them and I've wanted to! It's 1964-1989, not sure if that's all of it or what.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Sadly it looks to just be random storylines chosen here and there from the original 26 seasons. Still though, definitely gonna jump in on some retro british sci-fi!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if any of that Doctor Who stuff is actually new. I had some classic Doctor Who specials queued up for months on end and they have all disappeared from my instant queue. It appears they got rid of the single viewing versions and replaced them with individual episodes, as I recognize the names of the episodes in the collections as the items I had queued.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
For any DC fans out there, Netflix just added lots of great animated features to Instant Watch. Year One, Justice League: Doom, Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, etc.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I've gone through the first two seasons of That Mitchell and Webb Look this week. I'm really enjoying it although there is a significant gap in quality between some of the sketches. Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is consistently great, Numberwang is consistently horrible, the derivatives of Numberwang are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I've gone through the first two seasons of That Mitchell and Webb Look this week. I'm really enjoying it although there is a significant gap in quality between some of the sketches. Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is consistently great, Numberwang is consistently horrible, the derivatives of Numberwang are great.

Mitchell and Webb is famous for being uneven. One of the later sketches even acknowledges that.

• Locked thread