Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I'm getting loads of flickering green pixels around dark colours at 120hz on my new XL2420T. Regardless of resolution, 120hz produces the flickering pixels. 60hz is fine.

From a bit of reading around there are suggestions to try a higher quality cable. I'm not sure why the cable that comes with it wouldn't be good enough though.

Should I bother getting a new cable, or is it more likely the screen is faulty?

e: removing and reseating the cable sometimes makes it better, sometimes worse. Dodgy cable?

kcer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
I just purchased a Qnix QX2700 from eBay. Has anyone used one of these?

The price was right compared to other Korean 27" monitors -- although it jumped up $10 a few minutes after I bought it -- and it's supposedly pixel-perfect to boot. Reviews on other forums seem to be generally favorable. I'll post a review when it arrives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
All the Korean monitors are the same basic panel and PCBs, the only real differences are what sort of enclosure the manufacturer slaps it into, and what sort of stand they stick on the bottom. I'd expect it to perform in line with all the other ones, which is to say loving awesome for the price, but there's also a reason that a 2560x1440 Dell costs twice as much.

Certainly do let us know how it turns out, though, in case there are any quirks in that particular type.

chrome taco
Apr 14, 2005

I'm no meteorologist, but I'm pretty sure it's rainin' bitches
How important is it to have a IPS display for web design? I am buying a new laptop so I just need some views on this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DrDork posted:

All the Korean monitors are the same basic panel and PCBs, the only real differences are what sort of enclosure the manufacturer slaps it into, and what sort of stand they stick on the bottom. I'd expect it to perform in line with all the other ones, which is to say loving awesome for the price, but there's also a reason that a 2560x1440 Dell costs twice as much.

Certainly do let us know how it turns out, though, in case there are any quirks in that particular type.

Personally I wouldn't buy an off-offbrand korean display without some record of the things working. Catleap/Shimian/Crossover seem to have the longest track record. They should all be essentially equivlent though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The one I bought from Dream- Seller was a QNIX. It's perfectly fine, same as my Yamakasi Catleap-- possibly more reflective, but essentially the same. Buttons feel better than Catleap by far though.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Does anyone have opinions on the ICC profiles for the U2412M Dell?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#calibrate

I am using the custom one... If I wanted to boost the brightness 10% or so, would the contrast levels/rgb need to be changed as well, or will it still be the same?

Potrod
Aug 9, 2003
The Argus
What the hell happened to the price of Dell 24" Ultrasharps? Last time I checked this thread about a year ago when I was looking for a monitor, I had just missed out on a sale of some Dell 24" Ultrasharp for $240 on their site. Later I saw it for $260, and rarely above $330. Now I see the cheapest one on their site is $370?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Potrod posted:

What the hell happened to the price of Dell 24" Ultrasharps? Last time I checked this thread about a year ago when I was looking for a monitor, I had just missed out on a sale of some Dell 24" Ultrasharp for $240 on their site. Later I saw it for $260, and rarely above $330. Now I see the cheapest one on their site is $370?

I think you are misremembering. The only 24" ultrasharp that sells for near to $240 is the u2412m and it has never been that cheap, ever. Perhaps you are thinking of the u2312m, or some non-ips monitor.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Progression Please posted:

I am using the custom one... If I wanted to boost the brightness 10% or so, would the contrast levels/rgb need to be changed as well, or will it still be the same?
I used the standard one, but it's the first time I've ever activated an .icc file so I didn't know what to expect. I really like the color on mine but I decrease the blue channel in the nvidia control panel a little (as well as a lot of digital vibrance which I'm used to).

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Looks like it's the graphics card causing the green flashing pixels. Swapped out bits and pieces, tried the monitor on other computers, and it works fine everywhere except where my 6950 is. I guess there's something wrong with the BIOS switch.

God drat this has turned into an expense (again) :negative:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
What is the deal with this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-24176418-L019A
It's $120 (with promo code EMCJHJB53) for a refurbished 23" IPS monitor with LED backlight. Newegg has it labeled as HP, but the monitor and box both have a globe logo instead of the HP logo. It looks like it's a sticker. If you zoom in on the pictures, you can see that the original HP model numbers is written over with black marker. The images also show a sticker on the back that's probably covering another HP logo. It appears to be an HP 2311xi, so Newegg just moved the x over two characters in the model number. AnandTech gave the 2311xi a fairly good review. Is there something horribly wrong with these and HP doesn't want their name on them? The 2311xi only sold for $200 to begin with so this isn't an amazing deal or anything. What's going on here?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

chrome taco posted:

How important is it to have a IPS display for web design? I am buying a new laptop so I just need some views on this.

It depends on what you mean by "web design." If you mean mostly web programming (HTML/PHP/etc.) without a lot of graphic design then TN should be fine. If you mean more graphic design then you definitely want IPS. TN panels are just not up to snuff for color-sensitive work.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
IPS is also nice for coding because you can turn it into portrait orientation and not deal with crazy color shifts from a tiny movement of your head.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005

Progression Please posted:

Boosting the brightness will lower your contrast and wash out your colors. You'd have to recalibrate to adjust for the difference if you're planning to do color sensitive work. The built in profiling system offers a good guess-timation. Otherwise look around in your area to rent a colorimeter (Spyders are good, the i1s from X-rite are some of the best, everything else is ok.)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Is there any reason in particular for the distinct lack of 120hz IPS displays? I'm looking to get into 3D, but I'd like to be able to watch things with someone else, as it stands now, it looks like TN panels are the order of the day. Is just a reasonably new tech, or is the market for it small enough that nobody wants to make it?

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 18, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

dog nougat posted:

Is there any reason in particular for the distinct lack of 120hz IPS displays? I'm looking to get into 3D, but I'd like to be able to watch things with someone else, as it stands now, it looks like TN panels are the order of the day. Is just a reasonably new tech, or is the market for it small enough that nobody wants to make it?
It's a mix of different things. The IPS market is already comparatively small vice the TN one, and the 120Hz market is also small. The intersection between the two is even smaller. There's also technical limitations--to my knowledge, no one has yet released a consumer 120Hz IPS monitor that isn't some overclocked "up to but we won't guarantee 120Hz" deal, and even then there's a bunch of caveats about how your video card will very likely limit you to substantially less than 120Hz at anything higher than 1920x1080 anyhow.

I'm sure we'll see them at some point, but in that 120Hz as a whole has received a pretty tepid response, it doesn't surprise me that we haven't seen much movement on that front.

That said, there are always the "120Hz" Catleaps and Overlord displays. They're obviously more expensive than their 60Hz counterparts, but if you're interested in that, they are available.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I kinda want one of those overlord displays but that decal is hideous. Could I strip it off with fishing line or goo gone or something?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

DrDork posted:

It's a mix of different things. The IPS market is already comparatively small vice the TN one, and the 120Hz market is also small. The intersection between the two is even smaller. There's also technical limitations--to my knowledge, no one has yet released a consumer 120Hz IPS monitor that isn't some overclocked "up to but we won't guarantee 120Hz" deal, and even then there's a bunch of caveats about how your video card will very likely limit you to substantially less than 120Hz at anything higher than 1920x1080 anyhow.

I'm sure we'll see them at some point, but in that 120Hz as a whole has received a pretty tepid response, it doesn't surprise me that we haven't seen much movement on that front.

That said, there are always the "120Hz" Catleaps and Overlord displays. They're obviously more expensive than their 60Hz counterparts, but if you're interested in that, they are available.

Ok, interesting. This is still a purchase that's a little ways off, but it certainly doesn't hurt to do research. I'm not really looking for 2560x1440 @ 120Hz. It'd certainly be nice, but if have to build a computer solely for that purpose and I'm not ready to drop down that large a chunk of cash. Plus I don't want to overclock my display.

There's still scant options at 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, none of which are IPS displays, but I suppose I can live without it. Right now, I'm looking at the BenQ XL2420TX and the ASUS VG278H. I get that one's 24 inches vs 27, but is there any glaring reason to avoid one over the other? Would I be better off with a monitor that doesn't have the IR sensor built in and buying the 3D vision kit separately?

edit: broken links

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 19, 2012

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've looked at the Dell 29" super wide monitor and have considered it. I can see where they get the idea for it, its pretty much like having two 4:3 monitors without the bezel in the center. That seems real nice. However every time I start to get tempted by one I think to myself, "If I want 2560 x 1080 I can get the same thing out of a 27" monitor and I get an extra 360 vertical pixels".

I was thinking why would anyone ever go for one of those when I looked at the physical dimensions, the 29" monitor is 27.6" wide while the 27" monitor from Dell is 25.5" wide. I really wish I could get a monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution but keep that 27.6 width. That would make the monitor a 31.3 panel size, roughly what I used to have but with a higher resolution panel. It's a bummer that you can get 1080p in all different sizes but if you want 1440p its 27" or nothing.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have been using the Crossover 27q LED since april with no issues until this morning. Now when I connect it up to my Macbook Pro the laptop recognises it but the monitor flicks from blue back to red (standby) and has a blank screen. How screwed am I?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's fairly uncommon for a monitor to die at the inputs. I'd suspect either that there's something wrong with your cable, or you've recently made some sort of setting change that has it trying to output a not-2560x1440@60Hz signal.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

DrDork posted:

It's fairly uncommon for a monitor to die at the inputs. I'd suspect either that there's something wrong with your cable, or you've recently made some sort of setting change that has it trying to output a not-2560x1440@60Hz signal.

I also have a Crossover. I'm fairly certain that non-native resolutions should display. For instance, I can see the POST screen, and the Windows loading screen when my machine is booting. That said, I'm sure there are output settings that could cause the behavior gasman is seeing.

thegasman2000 posted:

I have been using the Crossover 27q LED since april with no issues until this morning. Now when I connect it up to my Macbook Pro the laptop recognises it but the monitor flicks from blue back to red (standby) and has a blank screen. How screwed am I?

Can you try it with another cable like DrDork suggested, and if that doesn't work, another computer? Double check the resolution and refresh rate settings.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Picked up a 1440p 27" Auria monitor from Microcenter and it's been wonderful. I haven't noticed any dead pixels, but I'm not hunting for them either. Menu navigation isn't the easiest, but I can't complain for $399.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

cliffy posted:

Can you try it with another cable like DrDork suggested, and if that doesn't work, another computer? Double check the resolution and refresh rate settings.

I have another cable to try tomorrow. Its weird as i plug my laptop in everyday and have changed no settings at all since the last time i "docked"

I need to also test my thunderbolt to dvi adapter as that could have failed, I have a mate with the exact same monitor so we are going to swap and see whats up. If its knackered I would be pretty hosed. Skint and need it for my design work as my 13" mbp has the shittest resolution ever.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...aynote_irrank=0

U2711 for $650, if anyone's interested.

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
U2713HM at Best Buy also for $650 with free shipping

Is there any reason to go with the U2711 over this, besides the connection options?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The U2711 is a wide-gamut monitor. Don't get it unless you do work that needs that capability.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EightBit posted:

The U2711 is a wide-gamut monitor. Don't get it unless you do work that needs that capability.

I really don't know why people say this, there's no way you'd be unhappy with a U2711

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I absolutely hated having a wide-gamut monitor. A lot of certain things felt over saturated for me. I feel much better with a standard gamut monitor.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Who are the trustworthy eBay vendors of Korean monitors right now? I posted a link to a few of the cheapest ones from eBay on IRC and some people told me that the sellers I linked were dishonest and whatever. It's been a little while since I last looked into this though.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ixpodsix posted:

U2713HM at Best Buy also for $650 with free shipping

Is there any reason to go with the U2711 over this, besides the connection options?

The AG coating on the 2711 is much more aggressive than the 2713HM. This is a positive or negative depending on your work condition. I personally prefer the 2713HM (assuming it's the same AG coating as on most other Dell's).

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Can anyone recommend a 13.3" 16:9 anti-glare laptop screen cover that a clumsy oaf like myself can install? All the seemingly good ones on amazon are for macs with their 16:10 aspect ratio.

e: All I really care about is the annoying mirror reflection. Don't need privacy filter or anything.

wide stance fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 22, 2012

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Has anyone used the U2913WM? Thoughts?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 23, 2012

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Can anyone recommend me a 24" 16:10 monitor? Looking to upgrade but I haven't bought a new monitor in ages, and now I see there's very few 16:10 monitors still going around. Should I just suck it up and drop to 16:9?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Can anyone recommend me a 24" 16:10 monitor? Looking to upgrade but I haven't bought a new monitor in ages, and now I see there's very few 16:10 monitors still going around. Should I just suck it up and drop to 16:9?

Dell U2414M

24", 16:10 IPS (1920x1200 native), DVI/VGA/DisplayPort.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Thanks, I don't know how I missed that earlier. Should I be concerned about the 8ms response time? Coming from 5ms.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that earlier. Should I be concerned about the 8ms response time? Coming from 5ms.

No...

If you look at any of the reviews for the U2414m, you will find the response time is well below similar monitors on the market and is not noticeable. I am sure others will chime in here with the same...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not at all. Response times are mostly made up lies, anyhow, and completely ignore everything else that the monitor does. With a few exceptions, all monitors do some amount of internal processing with the signal before they display it. That processing isn't instantaneous, and is why you can end up with a 5ms display with poor processing actually having more latency than an 8ms display with good processing. Response time is just an easy, but meaningless, number companies can slap on the side of the box and claim makes their poo poo better.

The U2414M has about 9.5ms of latency, which is considered pretty good for a LCD monitor. A full review is here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
I see. I was mainly trying to figure out the difference between the U2412M and the U2410 (besides ~$200). I gather the U2410 is more for professional graphic purposes?

And so that I'm not going insane, did you actually mean U2414M or U2412M? I can't find U2414M on the Dell site.