Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Hi all!

I posted in this thread over the summer about being single/feeling envy about a friend's engagement. Well, wouldn't you know, a week later I met a fella, and now him and I are getting married on December 20 (yep, just under 2 weeks from now). He is in the Army and due to some issues regarding possible deployment, we decided it was best to do it soon.

When we made that decision, it left us with about 3 weeks to plan--oy, vey! But somehow we've pulled it all together, and for less than $2,500 (which my dad is covering virtually all of that):

-Lunchtime ceremony/reception at a local restaurant. They have private dining rooms, we are using a room that accommodates up to 50 people and the cost is $25 per head. We will probably have about 40 guests in all. Includes a plated, served (not buffet) meal consisting of salad, entree, and dessert, and it also includes unlimited coffee/tea/soda. We are paying extra for appetizers for guests to munch on as they arrive, and for wine for a toast. We aren't explicitly advertising an open bar, but if guests order drinks that's fine.

-We are doing the ceremony there when we arrive and my maid of honor's husband is officiating. He has the Universal Life Church minister thing and registered it with Ohio so that he can do weddings.

-I am only having one maid (well, I guess matron since she's married) of honor and my fiance is having one best man. We told them to wear whatever they want as long as it's dressy casual. I'm wearing a wedding dress (only spent $500 on it) and he is wearing Class A's (Army dress uniform).

-A girl I graduated from high school with is doing all our photography; she has a photography degree and is only charging $300. She does fantastic work, and even in high school was extremely talented. We can have all the photos on disc and she is bringing a second photographer friend who is trying to build a wedding portfolio at no extra cost. Win.

-I'm getting professional hair and makeup the morning of, and my MOH is getting her hair done too at the same time.

-Doing all this on a weekday (a Thursday) rather than a weekend helped with getting it together last minute. Plus, no one wants a winter wedding in Ohio anyway. Most of my dad's friends he wanted to invite are retired so they could come no matter what day and time, and other people with jobs for the most part were able to arrange to leave early so they could come, or take "extended lunch breaks" or whatever.

-I invited a handful of college/high school friends, family members, my dad invited some of his and my late mother's friends, and my fiance has just 12 people coming from out of state.

-Not doing flowers, other than a bouquet my aunt said she was going to order for me.

-My engagement ring is a family heirloom--it cost $200 to have it sized/polished and to move a diamond from one of my late mom's rings into a setting that belonged to my grandmother which is 14K white gold.

-We reserved a hotel room for the night following the wedding and the next night. That way we aren't having wedding night sex at my dad's house (we have to travel from NC to Ohio for the wedding). :quagmire:

-We got engagement photos done today at the JC Penney portrait studio, because I have generous coworkers who gave me a gift card to there as an engagement gift. Surprisingly, they turned out really adorable, and we will have all of those on disc too next week.

It's been hectic trying to plan all this, but keeping it simple and small has made it inexpensive but it will still have a "wedding" feel. We're really excited! :)

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Got the rest of my photos back!

We got married on November 10th at the Virginia Aquarium. We paid for the wedding ourselves and kept to a pretty strict budget. We didn't have a DJ, our photographer was a friend of ours, and we cut the fat where we could. I splurged on my dress a bit, but my flowers were from Sam's Club. The music was a lot of trouble to manage on our own, however. We paid a friend of ours to cue up the music at the appropriate times, but it was a little awkward and disjointed. That being said, our wedding was an overall huge success. Our procession music was a string quartet version of No Rain and our recessional was Queen Bitch by David Bowie in a subtle homage to our favorite movie.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Gonna have our church wedding in a month in our home country (Philippines). So excited. A lot of headaches and expenses... hopefully it would be worth it. When all is said and done, we're shelling out $30,000 converting using the current exchange rate. That's EXCLUDING wedding bands (shouldered by my wife's aunt thank God) and airfare which is crazy expensive right now because it's the holidays. Definitely not cheap but it happens only once right? :)

Demented Guy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 10, 2012

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
How do you decide what music to walk down the aisle to? A big part of me really, REALLY wants to find a way to walk to the Turret Aria from Portal 2... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICakUTTjtAo But it feels like something is telling me that isn't "how it should be done" or something like that...

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
Hello all. So my best friend got engaged last month, the wedding is mid-February. I'm her MOH, and I'm really not sure what my responsibilities are. She's got her dress, we got bridesmaids' dresses (they're so loving heinous but she loves them and that's what counts), the venue, and the reception hall. I havent gotten to be involved really in anything, it's been her and her mom taking care of everything so far except for the dress fitting. Am I supposed to be planning parties? Like bachelorette party-wise, I'm lost. I'm her only friend, really. Who else would I invite to something like that? Everything's coming up very fast and I feel very lost, and I know she's stressed out like 10x more. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm engaged! I'm lovely! I use Pond's!

A couple of friends and family members have already consented to be in the wedding party. We are goony goons without a lot of friends, so the invite list will probably be pretty short. My parents want to pay the bills - they say that they don't want to go all out, but they're bourgeois spendthrifts so their idea of "too much money" is different from most people's. For instance, they balked at the idea of renting a dress (a dress I'll wear once, remember) and are willing to drop 2K on one, and they feel that we should serve a full meal at the reception. But they also refused to rent a venue like the Palmer House (I really like history and fancy buildings, okay?).

We've decided that the best place to get married is in Chicago, because it's a transportation hub and should be easy for our Upper-Midwestern guests to get to. We've already made a tentative choice for caterer.

My questions are these:
1. Does anyone have any experience renting venues from the Chicago Public Library? I'd like to reserve the South Hall or Reception Hall at the Harold Washington location.
2. What is a good cake company? We will probably get a small show cake, then serve the guests from a sheet cake. Taste is important to us, so we'll try to swing for buttercream. The fiance has his heart set on chocolate.
3. What is a good bridal salon? I am a fatty, so I'll need one that caters to plus-size women. I'll make the bridesmaids dress themselves, so hopefully that will save everybody money.

benjai posted:

How do you decide what music to walk down the aisle to? A big part of me really, REALLY wants to find a way to walk to the Turret Aria from Portal 2... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICakUTTjtAo But it feels like something is telling me that isn't "how it should be done" or something like that...

The real question is probably "Will I regret my choice in the future?" not "Is this the proper thing to do?" gently caress proper, it's your party!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 10, 2012

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just called the jeweler to make sure the ring will be ready in time, in my case that is Friday as we leave the country early Saturday morning. She couldn't give me an answer over the phone, and needed to do further investigating. Granted, it's not due until the 12th and they told me that someone else would be making it, but I figured I was going to get a simple "Yes, it will be ready." It's been a couple hours and they still haven't called back. I feel sick, I told my girlfriend that her Christmas present wasn't going to be ready in time to throw her off as much as I can, and it appears that I have actually jinxed myself.

E: Sure enough, it's late. She told me it will be ready Monday. I told her to cancel the order and that I need to come pick up my stone, and now she's on the phone with whomever is making the ring trying to save her sale. Ugh. Don't go to Jared. There's no way I'm going to find anyone that can get this done for me in 4 days.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 11, 2012

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

marauderthirty posted:

E: Sure enough, it's late. She told me it will be ready Monday. I told her to cancel the order and that I need to come pick up my stone, and now she's on the phone with whomever is making the ring trying to save her sale. Ugh. Don't go to Jared. There's no way I'm going to find anyone that can get this done for me in 4 days.

This is unsurprising, and those big chains are garbage.
A reputable local jeweler might be able to hook it up. I've had custom stuff turned around within 48 hours with my jeweler. Call around and see.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I have (well, my fiancee) has a question.

Her maid of honor is her little sister.

Her best friend was unhappy about this, and convinced my fiancee to let her be a "Matron of Honor" since she's married/has a kid one night when they were drinking heavily. My fiancee has regretted that decision ever since because this Matron of Honor is taking too much control over the wedding regardless of how many times we kindly ask her to back off.

Well, the Matron picked out a bridesmaids dress that all the bridesmaids loved, except the maid of honor. The Maid of Honor, being 13, has a different body style then the rest of the bridesmaids who are all in their late 20s. Me and my Fiancee agreed that she could have a different style dress, as long as it was the same length/color as the rest of the dresses. Being she is our Maid of Honor, she should feel a little special, and not feel awkward in the dress she has to wear.

Fiancee called Matron of Honor to tell her, and the Matrons response was "Well if the Maid of Honor gets a different dress, then I should get one as well". Keep in mind, the Matron was the one who picked out the dress in the first place. The Maid of Honor has told us its fine, but we know its not, and we know she wont tell us as such because she doesn't want to make any more stress for us.

So, questions are

1) Do we tell the Matron of Honor to shove it? My fiancee feels she will lose a friend over this, but feels that the friend is putting her in the position of choosing friend over sister (Even though, she did already choose sister over friend for the maid of honor position)

2) If we decide to have them all wear the same dress, what ideas are there for us to make sure our Maid of Honor feels special? She's been a great help to us, not just in the wedding sense, but is always wanting to come hang out, babysit, and seriously calls my fiancee probably 3 times a week just to talk. We know being the Maid of Honor is a huge honor for her, we want to make sure she knows we appreciate her.

/words

binaisagnome
Mar 17, 2009

I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther. I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion.

JackRabbitStorm posted:

... My fiancee has regretted that decision ever since ...

You haven't had the wedding yet, there's still time to fix that decision.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

JackRabbitStorm posted:

So, questions are

1) Do we tell the Matron of Honor to shove it? My fiancee feels she will lose a friend over this, but feels that the friend is putting her in the position of choosing friend over sister (Even though, she did already choose sister over friend for the maid of honor position)

2) If we decide to have them all wear the same dress, what ideas are there for us to make sure our Maid of Honor feels special? She's been a great help to us, not just in the wedding sense, but is always wanting to come hang out, babysit, and seriously calls my fiancee probably 3 times a week just to talk. We know being the Maid of Honor is a huge honor for her, we want to make sure she knows we appreciate her.

/words

1) I think a good way to handle it is to call the Matron of Honor, explain that it's really important to you and your fiancee that everyone match, and explain that you're only letting the maid of honor wear something else because she's 15 and not as mature as everyone else in the bridal party. Really stress that. "You know teenagers, they can be so immature and self-involved." Then there's no way she can make a fuss without putting herself in the same category.

Another idea is to just let people where what they want, because in non-wedding-land, you'd never tell people what to wear, and I don't understand how normal etiquette somehow flies out the window when there's a wedding involved. I just had to mention this option, being me. :)

2) You could put some text thanking her in the program, write her a note telling her how appreciative you are of all she does, or even present her with a token at the wedding. Especially at her age, it'd be great to give her something she could hang on to for many years. If your fiancee is not tossing the bouquet, you both could make a little ceremony of giving it to her.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
gently caress that, I'd drop her. It sounds like she's really showing her true colors here.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Emasculatrix posted:

1) I think a good way to handle it is to call the Matron of Honor, explain that it's really important to you and your fiancee that everyone match, and explain that you're only letting the maid of honor wear something else because she's 15 and not as mature as everyone else in the bridal party. Really stress that. "You know teenagers, they can be so immature and self-involved." Then there's no way she can make a fuss without putting herself in the same category.

Another idea is to just let people where what they want, because in non-wedding-land, you'd never tell people what to wear, and I don't understand how normal etiquette somehow flies out the window when there's a wedding involved. I just had to mention this option, being me. :)

2) You could put some text thanking her in the program, write her a note telling her how appreciative you are of all she does, or even present her with a token at the wedding. Especially at her age, it'd be great to give her something she could hang on to for many years. If your fiancee is not tossing the bouquet, you both could make a little ceremony of giving it to her.

I like this, also a suggestion I had gotten elsewhere was to have one of the mothers call the Matron to explain it as my fiancee is hesitant to do it herself as she avoids confrontation. I would talk to the Matron, but my response is exactly what Eggplant said.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

gently caress that, I'd drop her. It sounds like she's really showing her true colors here.

And what binaisagnome...

binaisagnome posted:

You haven't had the wedding yet, there's still time to fix that decision.

But I'm a bit of an rear end in a top hat, and have no problems telling people exactly what I think of them, especially when they cause issues/stress in my life. My fiancee appreciates a bit more tact then that. We'll see how this all plays out.

vv
I like that

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 11, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I like this, also a suggestion I had gotten elsewhere was to have one of the mothers call the Matron to explain it as my fiancee is hesitant to do it herself as she avoids confrontation. I would talk to the Matron, but my response is exactly what Eggplant said.

And what binaisagnome...

But I'm a bit of an rear end in a top hat, and have no problems telling people exactly what I think of them, especially when they cause issues/stress in my life. My fiancee appreciates a bit more tact then that. We'll see how this all plays out.

Fine, here's a tactful way to say it:
"Matron, I find your behavior regarding my wedding a little upsetting. I feel like you have been taking over all of the decisions and making my wedding about you instead of about me and JackRabbitStorm. It is important to me that I include my younger sister in my wedding, and the way you have been behaving is really pushing her to the side. Here is what is going to happen: my sister will wear <her own dress>, and the other bridesmaids will wear <dress she picked out.> You can either wear the normal dress with the other bridesmaids, or take your ball and go home."

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

JackRabbitStorm posted:

And what binaisagnome...

I can definitely appreciate she's acting childish and making lots of stress for you both in what's already a high-stress time, but I also want to remind you that people can act crazy when they're upset. She's your fiancee's best friend, and she probably looked forward to being the maid of honor for a long time. When your fiancee asked a 13 year old to do it instead, it might have been hurtful. It sounds like the issue here isn't even about the dresses, but that she also wants to have her position as best friend acknowledged and appreciated in some way. I'm not saying that the way she's acting is right, but it's definitely possible that her attitude is motivated by hurt (as opposed to just being a bad friend, or an attention-grabber, or whatever).

Emasculatrix fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 11, 2012

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

Starter Wiggin posted:

Hello all. So my best friend got engaged last month, the wedding is mid-February. I'm her MOH, and I'm really not sure what my responsibilities are. She's got her dress, we got bridesmaids' dresses (they're so loving heinous but she loves them and that's what counts), the venue, and the reception hall. I havent gotten to be involved really in anything, it's been her and her mom taking care of everything so far except for the dress fitting. Am I supposed to be planning parties? Like bachelorette party-wise, I'm lost. I'm her only friend, really. Who else would I invite to something like that? Everything's coming up very fast and I feel very lost, and I know she's stressed out like 10x more. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd talk to her directly and ask her what her expectations are. When I was MOH the bride didn't even want a bachelorette party or anything - basically my job was to help her put decor together and help out on the day-of. Generally a bachelorette party invites all the female friends that live in the area, but some people invite ALL female attendees including family members, others don't. Best way to find out is to simply ask so you know exactly what the bride expects and so she doesn't feel disappointed. Plus that way you're reassuring her that you're handling this responsibly.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
And it's official, Jared hosed Christmas up for me. Or I probably did it to myself by going there in the first place. Anyhow. I got there when they opened this morning and told them if they couldn't give me a straight answer, I was taking my business elsewhere. The manager tried to talk me into a million other things, like using a temporary setting, but I'm not going to settle for that poo poo. I placed the order on November 4th, and even he admitted that there was no reason that it shouldn't be done. I don't know what went wrong, and honestly I could care less. I know I'm being a huge loving babby about it, but even the proposal is going to be something that I remember for the rest of my life, and I didn't want it to be tarnished with me saying, "That's not the ring, obviously." I tried other jewelers, nobody can promise it to me this time of year considering Jared hasn't even returned the stone to me yet.

So I got a cheap rear end 5 dollar ring from Kohls, and I guess that's where I'm at now. I was pretty certain that I nailed it with the ring that I designed, but at least this way she can help me pick out the one she wants. I saw some really awesome settings online when I was looking, and the only thing holding me back was shipping times. So maybe it'll all work out for the better, but it's still damned infuriating right now. I had everything in line, and somebody else manages to gently caress it up for me. It's like, step one, get the ring. I haven't even gotten to step two, the proposal, and I'm already experiencing disaster.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You're not being a baby. They really hosed up.

That being said, I do recommend you try to calm down and figure out the best solution instead of feeling forced into using a placeholder. What is more important to you: having the right ring for the proposal, or proposing on Christmas? Obviously the answer is option 3, marrying that lady :) but in short term. Unless you really really want to propose on Christmas (maybe by New Years would be possible?), you may be able to get something sorted out. Otherwise, even if you stick with the placeholder plan, do try to focus on the positive: she'll get that magical Christmas proposal you've been planning. You guys can also get the warm fuzzies of looking at different rings together, and you could pick out your wedding bands at the same time :kimchi:

It's not a disaster. It's a pain in the rear end, but does it mean you'll never propose to her? Never get married? No. In the end, it is just a ring. The important part is you two.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Would Jared give you a nicer placeholder using your stone as collateral and you would simply return that ring once yours is ready? Probably a lot to ask from a chain, but worth a shot.

I personally would defer until perhaps New Years in hopes you have the ring in hand by then.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
So now I have the dilemma of whether I
A) Hand deliver my invite to my nonno and explain to him that his daughters are 100% not invited to my wedding and ask him to not be upset with my dad
B)Just send him the invite
Ugh. He's a 76 year old Italian man, I have literally no idea how he is going to react to either.

Then I was stuffing invites with my MIL and she's like "oh, he didn't write an invite for my grandparents friends" then writes it out. Then she says there "might be another guest"- my fiances half-sister who he has not seen or interacted with since he was like...6.

We did our registry today, at least that was fun.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
They did offer me a placeholder ring to use, but I don't feel like they deserve my business after messing this up so bad. The manager even gave me his card and told him to call him personally and that he will give me a really sweet deal, and I'm still so put off by the whole thing that they are at the bottom of my list.

I'm not stuck on the idea of Christmas, actually my plan was to be doing it sooner. Reason being that we are taking a romantic trip to warm tropical warm Cabo San Lucas, Mexico where it's warm and there just doesn't seem like a more perfect time. We live in Colorado and there are a thousand pretty places I could do it at, but it's guddamn cold out and we have pretty much halted our outdoor activities for the season (her anyways, I ain't afraid of no snow). I don't want to do it at a restaurant or our house or something equally cheesy, I just want it to be her and I somewhere with a sweet view. I'll probably just go with the cheapo ring, and see how long it takes for her to say something for maximum moment preservation/comedic effect. Maybe not open the box.. I don't know, the possibilities are endless! I could throw it in the sea!

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

marauderthirty posted:

They did offer me a placeholder ring to use, but I don't feel like they deserve my business after messing this up so bad. The manager even gave me his card and told him to call him personally and that he will give me a really sweet deal, and I'm still so put off by the whole thing that they are at the bottom of my list.

I'm not stuck on the idea of Christmas, actually my plan was to be doing it sooner. Reason being that we are taking a romantic trip to warm tropical warm Cabo San Lucas, Mexico where it's warm and there just doesn't seem like a more perfect time. We live in Colorado and there are a thousand pretty places I could do it at, but it's guddamn cold out and we have pretty much halted our outdoor activities for the season (her anyways, I ain't afraid of no snow). I don't want to do it at a restaurant or our house or something equally cheesy, I just want it to be her and I somewhere with a sweet view. I'll probably just go with the cheapo ring, and see how long it takes for her to say something for maximum moment preservation/comedic effect. Maybe not open the box.. I don't know, the possibilities are endless! I could throw it in the sea!

That's so hosed up. I had my wedding ring made from scratch including them having to find the diamonds for me, and my jeweler got it together in like ten days for me. November 2nd is insane.

You should do a fakeout though! A romantic trip seems like the perfect time to propose. You should do lots of "I have something important to ask you" type moments and while you're gone, get a great local jeweler to work on your ring. Then, when you get home, discretely pick it up and propose when you get inside the house. Or on New Years or something.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I had the same issues with my maids of honor. It ended up changing three different times, and ending with my baby sister (she is 15) and my best friend (22). To make them both feel special, I gave them two totally different things to take control of. My older maid of honor planned the bachelorette party, and my little sister got to do the speech. I also had my sister and step-sister (a bridesmaid) sleep over my house the night before the wedding. We watched Tom Cruise movies all night and slept on a mountain of pillows and blankets.

Your fiancee's friend sounds a little entitled, imo. I would make sure that if she does something like what I did, that she doesn't step over boundaries. If she is planning the bachelorette party, she has no say in the speech- that is your sister's "thing".

And if she's still acting selfish, I would mention the fact that her SISTER is only THIRTEEN. Sometimes people need things spelled out to them. If my friend acted like that, I would even allow my husband to talk to them on my behalf (it sounds like your fiancee is a people-pleaser, like me). My husband is really level-headed and unbiased, and if I don't think it will open a can of worms, I would let him talk to her for me. If doing this will open a can of worms, however, then nevermind.

Either way, your fiancee's friend needs to realize that she is not her sister. There is a special bond between sisters, and being a maid of honor is a HUGE thing for a teenager. My baby sister ate it up; as will hers.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm considering not even having a maid of honor since all it seems to bring is drama and trouble. No matter who I pick someone will get all butthurt and upset. Of course people are trying to push me into having one because "it's tradition". If they want to help out they can, if not I'll just do it myself.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm considering not even having a maid of honor since all it seems to bring is drama and trouble. No matter who I pick someone will get all butthurt and upset. Of course people are trying to push me into having one because "it's tradition". If they want to help out they can, if not I'll just do it myself.

I went with no brides maids and no groomsmen. It was absolutely fantastic.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Tigntink posted:

I went with no brides maids and no groomsmen. It was absolutely fantastic.

We did the same thing. Our sisters signed the license and there was no drama at all.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
What is the consensus on inviting old high school friends to you wedding? My fiancee (30) has been out of high school a lot longer than me (23), and is 'nay' on the idea, but I am on the fence about it. I mean, I'm friends on facebook with my old group of friends from high school, but we don't really talk or catch up or or reminisce or any of that, but would it be weird for them to see a random album of pictures pop up of a wedding they weren't invited to? Or is just still being on good terms with old friends enough grounds to just invite them? Conflicted on the issue, any advice?

For context, he graduated in '00 and me in '07, if that helps any?

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I had two, because one was too much drama (butthurt issue), which ended up not even mattering at all, because the sister that was being dramatic about it didn't even end up going to the wedding in the end. I had no issues with my other sister and best friend.

That, and Dave has two brothers. It worked out.

The only way to not have any drama is to either have NO bridal party (like the two above me), or if you want a bridal party, take matters into your own hands. Dress issue was so easy for me. I told everyone to pick out little black dresses (picture from the page before this):

- since they all have different body types. That way they are all responsible for their own dresses. Everyone loved the idea. No "one dress" dilemma. No "different MOH dress" dilemma.

Weddings only bring out the worst in people if you let it. I just did most of it myself, and it went so smoothly. Look up different dress ideas on Pinterest, like little black dresses, or all neutrals, or different shades of pinks, etc. The average cost of each bridesmaid dress was $20, and most of them paid for it themselves.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mongoloid Joe posted:

What is the consensus on inviting old high school friends to you wedding? My fiancee (30) has been out of high school a lot longer than me (23), and is 'nay' on the idea, but I am on the fence about it. I mean, I'm friends on facebook with my old group of friends from high school, but we don't really talk or catch up or or reminisce or any of that, but would it be weird for them to see a random album of pictures pop up of a wedding they weren't invited to? Or is just still being on good terms with old friends enough grounds to just invite them? Conflicted on the issue, any advice?

Why does this group categorization matter, and why does he have to invite high school friends if you do, or why can't you invite high school friends if he doesn't? It's about as dumb as saying "I only have one grandmother who's alive, so you can only invite one of your two grandmothers to make it fair."

You should both just invite people who you really want to be at your wedding, within whatever budget or constraints you've set up. Worrying about whether or not someone you haven't talked to in four years will have hurt feelings isn't a good reason to invite someone to your wedding. Having genuinely missed them, and wanting them there to celebrate with you is a much better reason. But if it's friends that you are so far removed from, that they don't even know your fiance's (one "e") name, they probably don't need to be there.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

marauderthirty posted:

My fiance didn't even have a ring when he proposed, lol. It was totally spur of the moment and he took a ring out of my jewelry box and used that. The next day we went to Kohl's like you said in another post and bought a $12 ring to use while we waited for the real ring (which is an heirloom) to be fixed at the jewelers.

Honestly, it's more about the moment than the ring itself. And I love your idea of comedic effect! In our case my fiance was going to ask me on the balcony at my apartment but we got interrupted by police who thought we were having a party (the neighbors had called in a noise complaint--bizarre since it was just us two sitting out there all night). You guys will be telling the story for years to come, so if you can laugh about it, it's even better. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Mongoloid Joe posted:

Do you have any financial stake in this wedding? If you do, it doesn't seem like a good idea to invite people you don't even talk to.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Mongoloid Joe posted:

I'm sorta stuck in the same situation. The way I'm deciding on some people is asking myself, "If [high school friend] were to get married, would I be invited?" Yes = invite; No = no invite.

I'm considering sending invitations to some people I've lost touch with but were my best friends at various points throughout my life, but that's different than "random person I had math class with once".

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The best way I've looked at it from compiling my list is "Would I be willing to treat this person to a nice dinner?"
If the first thing that pops in your head is no, reconsider.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

marauderthirty posted:

And it's official, Jared hosed Christmas up for me. Or I probably did it to myself by going there in the first place. Anyhow. I got there when they opened this morning and told them if they couldn't give me a straight answer, I was taking my business elsewhere. The manager tried to talk me into a million other things, like using a temporary setting, but I'm not going to settle for that poo poo. I placed the order on November 4th, and even he admitted that there was no reason that it shouldn't be done. I don't know what went wrong, and honestly I could care less. I know I'm being a huge loving babby about it, but even the proposal is going to be something that I remember for the rest of my life, and I didn't want it to be tarnished with me saying, "That's not the ring, obviously." I tried other jewelers, nobody can promise it to me this time of year considering Jared hasn't even returned the stone to me yet.

So I got a cheap rear end 5 dollar ring from Kohls, and I guess that's where I'm at now. I was pretty certain that I nailed it with the ring that I designed, but at least this way she can help me pick out the one she wants. I saw some really awesome settings online when I was looking, and the only thing holding me back was shipping times. So maybe it'll all work out for the better, but it's still damned infuriating right now. I had everything in line, and somebody else manages to gently caress it up for me. It's like, step one, get the ring. I haven't even gotten to step two, the proposal, and I'm already experiencing disaster.

I went through J&M Jewelry, a small outfit, but they have storefronts in New York and Tel Aviv, and they were incredible.

I got the ring today, and it was beautiful, within my price range, cheaper than an equivalent from Blue Nile.

Let me know if you want to talk to them, they were awesome to work with, and did everything in a timely fashion. I placed the order the Monday of Thanksgiving for a fully custom design, and they got it done by Tuesday, and I grabbed it today.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Finally got the ring, now just need to figure out how, any ideas?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sab0921 posted:

Finally got the ring, now just need to figure out how, any ideas?

Inside your favorite mutual board game box! Well, okay, it only works if both of you are into boardgames.

What I'm saying is, find something that makes sense for you and her!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So, I'm picking up the ring today. We've been together for two years and best friends for the five before that. We made a deal that we would get engaged in 2012 last New Years Eve, and of course I'm down to the wire on this one. I still need to tell all four of her parents sometime this week, since they are old fashioned and would really appreciate that. They're all lovely people and they love me (my futures FIL has been keeping a bottle of champagne in the fridge for six months for him and his wife, waiting for my proposal announcement). I also need to tell my parents, which I'm way more apprehensive about. I know for sure that they're going to think it's a huge mistake. They think that I am way too young at 25 since they got married in their thirties. I mean, maybe they'll just be happy about it but I'm still nervous. I have to make the point that it is financially responsible, since she has amazing insurance and benefits and I will have none after I get booted off of my parents'. I want my parents to support me, not judge me and think I'm making a decision by wanting to make a lifelong commitment with the girl I love.

I'm planning to propose on New Years Eve, just before midnight so that the clock chimes right after I pop the question. We don't have plans for that night yet, so I don't really know how I'm going to do it, but so far that's the plan.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I picked up her ring yesterday. I'm flying to see her tomorrow night. For those that don't know, I currently live in Idaho and she lives in Alabama. I used to live there but moved (I'm in the military). She stayed because she was finishing up her masters degree and we've been going at it long distance for the last year (seeing each other for about two weeks every three months).

She knows the proposal is coming. Since we've been doing the lost distance thing, we've kind of had to plan these sort of things out. She doesn't know HOW it is happening and that's all that matters to me.

She things I'm going to be flying to see on Saturday and arrive that night. I'm actually taking a red eye out of town tomorrow night and will show up Thursday mid-day. I have a friend picking me up at the airport and I'm setting up a scavenger hunt for her around the town. This will lead her to places like the bookstore she was working at when we met, the coffee shop where we chatted for the first time, the restaurant where we had our first date, my old apartment, and then lastly to the park we were in where we first decided to start officially dating. That's where I will be waiting with the ring.

Here are some crappy blurry pictures I took with my iPhone!

The diamond in the ring was my great grandmother's. So it was purchased around 1880. The emeralds were purchased by my stepfather when he spent seven years in Afghanistan. The ring itself was a custom design. She didn't want a big diamond because she wanted all the stones set into the ring so nothing protruded. She gave me some pictures of rings she likes for ideas, but she has no idea what the final ring looks like.

We've decided we're going to just push for a quick elopement and elope in February. Originally, we were going to have a small (50 person) wedding in May but then we realized that neither of us cared about having a wedding and we would only be doing it for our families. Since neither of us could afford it, we considered doing a cross country road trip to move her here and elope on the road. Then plans changed again and we realized that with as little stuff as she owns (mostly just clothing) it would be cheaper to ship her stuff here and fly her here to elope in my town. Then we changed plans again and decided that we'll fly her here but then make the 8 hour drive to where my folks live and do a small eloping with just my parents, brother, and grandparents in attendance. We were wary at first (since all of her family lives in Alabama and the south in general), but her mother was actually really excited that we would have my family in attendance. (Her family never travels cross country)

Malinn
Aug 30, 2008

All of time and space...
So the boyfriend (fiance?!) and I finally set a date. We're going to be doing the courthouse with immediate family, then dinner with family, then Stone Brewery with friends. We decided to go bare-bones on the ceremony because neither of us are really interested in the process of getting married, we just want to BE married to each other - if that makes any sense. We've already lived together for years, have a dog, cars, house fund, etc. so this doesn't change much :) Also, we want to really go all out on our honeymoon and go to Ireland.

I have a couple questions though, I'm sorry if they're answered elsewhere in the thread but I didn't see them when I read through it! First of all, I'm interested in carrying a silk bouquet as opposed to fresh flowers, for a few reasons: it'd be neat to be able to bring the same bouquet with me on our honeymoon in a few months, it's one less thing to worry about the day of since I can order it ahead of time and I want a navy blue bouquet, which might be difficult. Has anyone else done silk flowers for the bouquet? I've found a few places online, but I'm nervous to order something like that without being able to check it out first.

Second, we were hoping to do a sort of vow renewal while we're in Ireland, since we really wanted the whole thing to take place there but the logistics (if it's even possible) made my head spin. From looking around this doesn't seem terribly common but perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place. Has anyone done this?

This thread is awesome, I read the entire thing and it's been invaluable! Especially with dealing with difficult family members. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benjai
Jun 26, 2007

Malinn posted:

I have a couple questions though, I'm sorry if they're answered elsewhere in the thread but I didn't see them when I read through it! First of all, I'm interested in carrying a silk bouquet as opposed to fresh flowers, for a few reasons: it'd be neat to be able to bring the same bouquet with me on our honeymoon in a few months, it's one less thing to worry about the day of since I can order it ahead of time and I want a navy blue bouquet, which might be difficult. Has anyone else done silk flowers for the bouquet? I've found a few places online, but I'm nervous to order something like that without being able to check it out first.

I bought silk flowers! For me, the silk flowers were sooo much cheaper, plus getting hold of purple roses in March seemed kind of hard. But the most important factor for me, was being able to keep the bouquet. My parents had a silk bouquet when they got married, and it still sits on a shelf in a vase at their home.

I ordered from http://www.thebridesbouquet.com/ and they have a lot of different colors to pick from, in a few different styles. Good luck! :3