Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 2 Injury Report

Florida Oranges
Bob Welch (SP) (The Florida Syndrome) - 21 days

Florida Dickshots
Ozzie Smith (SS) (But seriously, I don't like Florida) - 32 days

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Al Hrabosky (RP) (Spoon!) - 20 days
Darrell Porter (C) (Learned terrible truth of Oneida) - 9 days

Rockford Losers
Satchel Paige (SP) (Munchausen's) - Out for 1 day

San Juan Elephants
Clay Caroll (RP) (Los Curse de San Juan!) - 95 days
Joe Torre (C) (Los Curse strikes again!) - 16 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Lineup while Torre is out:

code:
#1 - Brett Butler CF
#2 - Wade Boggs 3B
#3 - Rogers Hornsby 2B
#4 - Stan Musial LF
#5 - Hank Aaron 1B
#6 - Al Kaline RF
#7 - Julio Franco SS
#8 - Joe Ferguson C
Pitcher
Slider adjustments:

Sacrifice Bunting: -5
Stolen Bases: -1
Trying for extra bases: -2
Hit and Run: -3
Defensive Replacements: -2

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Florida Dickshots
Ozzie Smith (SS) (But seriously, I don't like Florida) - 32 days

Oh.

Oh dear.

New lineup while he's out:

1. Joe Jackson RF
2. Nap Lajoie 2B
3. Eddie Murray 1B
4. Ron Santo 3B
5. Billy Williams LF
6. Andre Dawson CF
7. Gary Carter C
8. Odell Hale SS (lol)
P

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week One: You Can Check Out Any Time You'd Like, But You Can Never Leave!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

OH LEADS GUMSHOES TO 8-1 WIN OVER FAILURES

San Francisco- The Failures lived up to their name.

With an 8-1 loss, the expansion Failures are now 0-4 on the season as they were blown out by the Gumshoes in San Francisco.

Detective Don Slaught, still searching for answers for his team's mysterious resurrection, was cagey in his post-game interview, "When a man dies, that's hoe it's supposed to end. The only man I ever knew to come back from the dead is ol' Dick Nixon, and he only came back once. But here we are, trapped in a league that we don't understand. Damned if I know what this designated hitter is, and I'm pretty sure this Mr. Oh isn't what he appears to be. I don't who he is or where he came from. And I've never been happier, because this is one mystery that Detective Slaught is going to get to the bottom of...or die trying!"

Sadaharu Oh, who hit the go-ahead home run in the third, tried to apologize to Slaught, "As English is not my first language, I find it difficult to express myself to my teammates, and I believe this is the primary cause for Mr. Slaught's assumption that I have come to this team as part of some sort of larger scheme. I assure your, my intentions are entirely honorable, and have to do with the greater prosperity of this ballclub." Slaught then burst into the room to hold Oh at gunpoint and repeatedly scream "What are you hiding? Who are you?"

The Failures, off to a terrible start, could not get anything to work right, not even their press conference from owner mentholmoose who, like all fans of Philadelphia teams, was incapable of any speech other than a barely intelligible, expletive-laden rant, "Those loving fucks who hosed up all of this poo poo! I'm going to loving bust their loving asses all over the place with my loving boot up their loving fuckface! Piece of poo poo, I loving hate those loving assholes so loving much! Andy Reid Sucks!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

LANDERS SURVIVE BARONS 8-5

Providence- The Landers won, but the Barons certainly didn't make it easy.

With both starts faltering early, both teams went to their bullpens early, and both managers, as if engaged in some sort of demented game of chicken, left in their relievers for insane amounts of time. Craig Lefferts pitched five innings of scoreless relief while Eckersley, in self-destructive performance, threw over ninety pitches going into the top of the thirteenth inning.

With his arm dead, Eckersley's fastball topped out at 80 mph, and the Landers hitters teed off, scoring three runs in the inning before Eckersley was finally lifted from the game. Mariano then retired the Barons in order in the bottom of the inning to secure the win for the Landers.

mrnoun, who has come under heavy criticism for his off-season moves, including the trades that sent Greg Maddux and Lou Gehrig out of town for what are generally considered unequal returns, seemed happy that he could have this victory, which he counted as a vindication. "Many laughed at me when I brought Tejada in to start at shortstop. But look at today. He knocked in the go-ahead run. See, a lot of you guys don't understand that a successful team, like successful music, is layered. It has a lot of things that have to come together. But you don't care about that. No, you're out there, listening to your three-chord pop-punk, chugging a Natty Light and 'rocking out'. Who needs complexity, who needs musical expertise? No, it's just kludging some sounds or some players together and pretending like it's art. You all sicken me. No wonder prog rock is dead, it died of grief that the people of the world were more interested in hearing about loose women and alcohol rather than the evolution of rock music. Well, we are the prog Super-League team. I'm not here for your instant gratification, I'm here to take things to new levels that most of you can't even begin to imagine. Come with if you like."

Box Score

Television Title Defenses!

: And it's time for the first Television title defense of the season! The Mathematicians won a tournament for the vacant title over the off season, and they'll look to retain against the Hartford Whalers.
: You ever been to Hartford, Smasher?
: I've driven through it a few times. To be honest, that was enough. Let's get started! Carlton will pick up the first win of the series for the Whalers.
: And, just looking at the lineups, the Mathematicians' lineup is just not as strong against left-handed pitchers, and with the Whalers having two Carltons in their rotation, that could be a real problem.

: And the Whalers will pick up the win and the Television Title here, as Bob Gibson narrowly outduels Matt Cain to win the series for the Whalers.
: Rough start for the Mathematicians, as they lose two games by two runs. Heartbreaking.

: And the Whalers will make a statement here by completing the sweep.
: Three one-run losses by the Mathematicians, and that will drive an owner crazy. The Mathematicians just had no answer to Steve Carlton, and it cost them their Television Title.
: Anything the Mathematicians can take away from this loss?
: Well, Smasher, I would say the biggest problem for them is that they do seem to be a bit weak against lefties, but they did almost win both of the games Carlton started, so it's probably just something to watch for going forward, to see if it's a real problem, or if it's just statistical noise.

: And that will do it for us this week. To recap, the Whalers sweep the Mathematicians 3-0 and take the TV title. Their first defense will be at the Suicides and, pending the results, we'll see either Whalers-Failures or Suicides-Air Raids later that week. You...might want to miss this one!

Team Statistics

Analysis

The Landers are tough. Losing a series to them isn't a big deal. Brave heart, Barons.

Analysis

So, you might be wondering why Quentin didn't play this week. Thing is, he did, going 0-12 with 2 GiDPs. Ouch.

Analysis

It's only one week.

Analysis

Evil does have its rewards.

Analysis

First expansion team to win a title. Congrats. Now if only you could get one more real outfielder, you'd really be on to something.

Analysis

Big Oh!

Analysis

The good news is that the Landers will get to establish their dominance early, by taking on the Biosparks and Gumshoes next week. The bad news is that they're still starting Tejada.

Analysis

The Cultists are a tough team, and you were on the road. These things happen.

Analysis

Now that is impressive. 2-1 at South Bolton? Good start.

Analysis

Tragedy in Milton Keynes!

Analysis

Failure!

Analysis

Exactly as planned.

Analysis

I'm not sure how good the Biosparks are going to end up being, but this wasn't the best start, especially since they were at home.

Analysis

I keep forgetting your team has Williams and Ruth, mainly because your pitching fills me with an incredible sadness I can barely describe.

Analysis

That can't have been how you wanted to start things out, but there's plenty of time to set things right.

Analysis

Just to reiterate, your Whitey Ford is fine.

Standings and Leaders

A. Answer the phone! 6 votes

B. Get it together and shave, because Mark Grace is a classy dude, and shaving is what classy dudes do! 3 votes

C. You said we had rocket cycles? I want Mark Grace on rocket cycle right now! 9 votes

Mark Grace put down the razor. No one would be able to tell if he didn't shave today, and, besides, he had more pressing matters to attend to. Matters of a rocket-powered nature.

Mark headed to the garage. It was time to take this up a notch. Opening the door, Grace was thankful that he had an attached garage, because it was so cold outside. While he walked, the phone continued to ring, eventually reaching his answering machine, where the caller hung up instead of leaving a message. Now Mark Grace would never know what that person had wanted to talk to him about.

He approached his rocket cycle, noting with pride the flames he had painted on his ride. That's the difference between a rocket cycle and a ROCKET CYCLE, after all. Getting on the mighty machine, he opened up the garage door, letting the winter cold drift into the room. Grace smiled, it was going to get hot soon enough.

He thought back to the day he had first received the rocket cycle. It was a beautiful fall day, and the Bobbleheads had just won their first Super-League Championship, toppling the Finger-Bangers in five games. The rocket cycle was waiting for him in the players' parking lot, pure white and shrouded by a light mist created by the evaporation of the liquid oxygen in its fuel tanks. He remembered tooling around Touhy Avenue at 300 mph, on-lookers craning their necks to watch him as he roared by at incredible speeds. Oh, he was far in excess of any speed limit, but what were the cops going to do? Give him a ticket? They'd have to catch him first.

Flipping on the switches to prepare the cycle for launch, he braced himself for the incredible power....but nothing came. Confused, Mark Grace checked the fuel gauge, and saw that he was fresh out of fuel. That was the problem with rocket fuel, of course, it's a volatile compound, and can't be stored for too long. drat, this was going to set him back.

Looking at the other side of his garage, Grace's eyes fell on his other ride, a 1990 Mazda 626. At worst, he could always just take his other car, which did have fuel, after all, to drive to the local rocket fuel shop at Village Crossings. Suddenly, he felt a sharp pang in his stomach. Mark hadn't eaten all day and was getting quite hungry.

DECISION TIME!

What will Mark Grace do next?

A. Drive to Village Crossing to get fuel for the rocket cycle!

B. Get something to eat, there's probably some frozen burritos in the freezer or something!

C. Contact the Mark Grace of Earth-2 for help with the rocket fuel!

Vote Now!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
"No, don't bother getting Larry Doby, he's always sucked in the SL and he'll suck for you" ---- a whole bunch of wrong people

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

More Mark Graces is always the Correct answer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Always be Closing

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
A.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Definitely C. Also, Swap Smith for Axford. Would've had him in from the start but I wanted to see how he rolled...

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Mashers

Criminy, the game looooooooooves Ted Simmons. Replace Ausmus with Simmons and make him Randy Johnson's personal catcher.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 17, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

I liked this bit:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

"Those loving fucks who hosed up all of this poo poo! I'm going to loving bust their loving asses all over the place with my loving boot up their loving fuckface! Piece of poo poo, I loving hate those loving assholes so loving much! Andy Reid Sucks!"

My players are a bunch of poo poo-heads.

A couple of things:

1) I should definitely have Stan Williams, not Steamboat Williams. According to the Superstars auction posts, he should be the 1961 version.

2) That is almost certainly not Bernard Gilkey in my minors, seeing as Bernard Gilkey never played shortstop and was rated a 78 in the Expansion Cup, very different than 45/53.

3) Voting C again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
C is always the correct answer.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
In accordance with Goon-related bandwagoning statues, C.

Also, drat, those are a few bad rolls on some of my guys there. That's what I get for running a lot of young guys, I guess. I think I do have replacements if need be (though losing that Cabrera that rolled 93/100 or something like that hurts), but eh, can't really judge on just the first week. Besides, i'm pretty sure that Posey figure is an accurate figure for how he did last time out.

Also as a side note; I don't have McGriff any more. He was part of the trade that got me Rodriguez. I can just not play him, but it's best he get future endeavoured just on the off-chance Mogul decides he'd better get some playing time.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

1) I should definitely have Stan Williams, not Steamboat Williams. According to the Superstars auction posts, he should be the 1961 version.

2) That is almost certainly not Bernard Gilkey in my minors, seeing as Bernard Gilkey never played shortstop and was rated a 78 in the Expansion Cup, very different than 45/53.

3) Voting C again.

1. It is Stan Williams, that's just a joke that only makes sense to me because of an earlier gently caress-up by me when entering rosters, because I thought Stan Williams was willist01, and that turned out to be Steamboat Williams. So, the player is Stan Williams, but since "Steamboat Williams" is a better name, I changed it as a lark.

2. You're right, and if you ever need to use Gilkey, I'll fix him. Also, I'll read you your last rites, because, holy gently caress, if you need him, it's probably all over.

3. Crisis on Infinite Graces!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
A would be the sensible option. So let's do C instead!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Al Hrabosky (RP) (Spoon!) - 20 days
Darrell Porter (C) (Learned terrible truth of Oneida) - 9 days

If these are the worst injuries I have all year, I'm OK with it.

Start Bassler as the every-day catcher until Porter returns, no problems with Hrabosky since he wasn't in the bullpen's lineup anyway.

New Everyday Lineup
RF Harry Heilmann
CF Ty Cobb
LF Josh Hamilton
SS Joe Cronin
1B Todd Helton
3B Scott Rolen
C Johnny Bassler
2B Joe Morgan
P --

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hey look, something good happened in Hartford for once! :unsmith:

e: Voting for Mark Grace Burrito time.

e2: No days off until the 2nd week of May? Rough.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 17, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

To AAA:
Hughes
Werber

To MLB:
Hiller
STEVE

Rotation:

#1 McGinnity
#2 Koufax
#3 Grove
#4 Drysdale
#5 Coveleski
CL Hiller
SU Montgomery
SR Labine
SR Davis
MR Gordon
LR Uhle

Clear Grove's personal catcher and put Drysdale with Bresnahan

vs. Lefties no DH

LF Kelley
2B Stephenson
3B Cronin
1B Hodges
C Campanella
SS Banks
CF Speaker
RF Prince of Fate

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Correcting a few oversights on my part:

I traded Cuyler so he should probably be released to prevent any mogul action playing him

Gabby Hartnett bats against righties, Pudge against lefties

Against lefties, I left cuyler in my rotation, so, fixed version

Fixed Leftie Lineup, constraining itself to players I actually have

1 (CF) Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 (dH) Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 (LF) Bob Johnson
4 (1B) Pujols, Albert 29 (2009 Cardinals) - Right
5 (3B) Santo, Ron 24 1964 (Cubs, via Electrics) - Right
6 (RF) Carlos Beltran
7 (SS) Robin Yount (1982)
8 (C) Rodríguez, Iván "Pudge" 29 (2001 Texas Rangers)
9 (2B) Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) - Right

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

It's more about the ratings than the 12 awful ABs, but let's try sending Quentin to AAA; Harper up and takes Quentin's spot in LF/batting 6th against RHP. Might as well see what the rookie can give me in a corner.

It's the least of my problems in this young season, but I couldn't help but notice that instead of righty Jordan Zimmermann, who was a non-disastrous #5 in the EC, I have lefty Jordan Zimmerman (61). At some point that lack of a second N could come back and hurt me.

Poor Gracie shouldn't go hungry. B.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Albany Pessimists

Great start sweeping the blogs, but can I make a few suggestions that may improve your team slightly?

1) Platoon Will Clark and Minie Minoso in left field. Clark struggles against lefties and Minie is a great hitter so deserves to hit lefties for you.

2) Get Ryan Braun in the lineup. The guy won an MVP award and Mogul doesn't test for steroids. Your options are to replace your LF platoon, he can play 3B or he can play 1B pretty badly. That isn't great for you, because LF and 3B are good positions for you, and his terrible 1B defence might be a liability his bat cannot carry, so you might consider selling him or Will Clark/Minie Miniso for something, probably help at 1st or 2nd base. But pending that get him in the lineup.

3) Don't bat Luis Aparaicio leadoff. He's not good at it, because he doesn't get on base to set the table for Mel Ott. Your first base guy and your three outfielders would probably be better off hitting ahead of him atleast, and probably your 3B guy as well. I'd recommend, in broad terms, something like:

1: Your left field platoon or your 1B guy if you've got Braun in left field.
2: Mel Ott (or Ryan Braun)
3: Matt Williams or 1B guy.
4: Ryan Braun (Or Mel Ott)
5: Larry Doby

You could swap slots 2 and 3 and/or slots 1 and 5 if you wanted to. I've gone this way, the IRC consensus is to swap 1 and 5 so Doby hits lead off. It works either way.

Whichever front 5 you go with, then go: Luis, Fox, Catcher for 6/7/8

edit: Your divisional rivals are already complaining that I'm giving you advice, so my advice probably isn't terrible.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 17, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

After some thought, the Bloggers have decided that dingers are better than defense and edited our roster accordingly. To wit, we've sent down Lenny Dykstra for Eddie Matthews and set him up in a platoon at 3B.

Asked to comment, outspoken pitcher Charley "Old Hoss" Radbourn was skeptical:

(Also note that we switched up Bill Freehan's personal catching.)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

mrnoun posted:

Looking to the The Future of the Super League:

Yeah, yeah, the current season just started, but that means we're just a few short weeks from expansion. Are you an old owner considering a comeback? Maybe a lurker? Or maybe just new to the thread? Well, here's something to whet your appetite for the upcoming season: a quick look

1959 or 1960 senators. 1960 senators are the most interesting, with 4 young stars Mr Upstairs, Mr Downstairs, Earl Battey, Jim Kaat. Camilo Pascual rounds out the selection. Don't overprice it - Mogul doesn't like Mr Downstairs that much, but a fun team. Plus Killibrew is a cool name.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Smasher Dynamo posted:

1. It is Stan Williams, that's just a joke that only makes sense to me because of an earlier gently caress-up by me when entering rosters, because I thought Stan Williams was willist01, and that turned out to be Steamboat Williams. So, the player is Stan Williams, but since "Steamboat Williams" is a better name, I changed it as a lark.

2. You're right, and if you ever need to use Gilkey, I'll fix him. Also, I'll read you your last rites, because, holy gently caress, if you need him, it's probably all over.

3. Crisis on Infinite Graces!

Uh Bernard Gilkey hit .289/.344 with 8 HR's for me in the EC. :v: I know he'll never repeat that performance, though.

Second, I'm going to shuffle around my rotation because Pete Alexander really should be my first starter. Switch the rotation to Alexander-Clemens-Vaughn-Oswalt-Lester. Put Candelaria in the long relief spot Lester was in previously. It says Alexander is supposed to start the next day; if I switch things around, will he still start or will it switch to someone else?

Also, one more question for you. What teams players are going into the SuperDraft? I want to look over rosters and see who I might be able to add.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 17, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, first of all, everyone relax about the loving order of your rotations. It hit everyone equally and it's not a big deal. Your fourth starters were going to start eventually anyway.

Smasher League Week 2 Injury Report

Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Barry Larkin (SS) (Crosetti!) - Out for Season

Luna Landers
Manny Ramirez (LF) (Caught with Blink-182 Album) - 14 days

Oxbridge Mathematicians
Mike Sweeney (Learned Terrible Secret of Milton Keynes) - 7 days

Spokane Air Raids
Rich Aurilia (SS) (This time, it is your player) - 10 days
C.J. Wilson (SP) (Broken Heart) - 10 days

VOTE IN THE CYObit! It's the only thing that allows me to pretend that people read what I write!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mark Grace should stuff his face. It rhymes, thy will be done.
B

Also how does Bob Welch injure himself in the minor leagues :psyduck:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Can't have the rocket cycle running out of juice. A.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
It was probably Mark Grace from Earth-2 on the phone anyway, so Option C

Also, where was Roger Clemens for the Arguments' first game of the season? I mean, Wakefield did a bang-up job, but come on.

EDIT: not criticising, just curious!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Dynamo League Week 2: The Grand Conspiracy

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

INFIELD ERRORS DOOM BLOGGERS

Rochester- The Generics may not have the greatest track record in the Super-League, but they are survivors.

And that's why, after the Bloggers rallied to take a 3-2 lead in the ninth inning of today's game, the Generics were able to pull themselves together to get back into the game, as Goslin and Garciaparra hit timely singles and then Berra hit a grounder that turned into an RBI fielder's choice. Just like that, the game was tied, and set for extra innings.

They were just getting started.

In the bottom of the tenth, Tim Salmon got a pinch-hit single with one out, and was then moved to second on a Sam Rice sac bunt. This was not great for the Bloggers, but there were two outs and if they could get just one more out, they would survive into the eleventh inning. Luke Appling was next, and rapped a weak grounder to Jim Delahanty, who bobbled the ball, leaving both runners safe. That brought up Goslin. Again, there were already two outs in the inning, and if the Bloggers could just get one out, they would be okay. Jesse Orosco, in his second inning of work, got Goslin to swing late on a fastball, inducing a grounder to third. With sure-handed Brooks Robinson handling the chance, it looked as if the Bloggers would get another chance. But Robinson's throw to first was wide, and Lou Gehrig couldn't pick it out of the dirt, allowing Salmon to scurry home as the ball squirted away from the Iron Horse, giving the Generics a hard-fought win.

Mornacale, the Head Blogger, posted a long rant on his team blog, excepts of which appear below:

Mornacale posted:

Just looking at the box score, what happened here is a travesty of justice, one of the worst I have ever seen. Brooks Robinson making an error that cost the Bloggers a game? This may be the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of all mankind ever.

I think we can all agree that we owners are not being treated with the proper amount of respect, especially considering all we have done for the Super-League. In fact, I think that the League's current administration is holding us all back.

The nanny state erected by Smasher is just another example of how people in power try to restrict liberty to order to hold on to the power they already have. As a libertarian, I know that the free market is a much more efficient and fair way of allocating resources than regulation. But the Super-League continues to burden its owners with regulation. When does this nanny state stop?

Clearly, Smasher Dynamo has some sort of grudge against the Bloggers ever since I brilliantly outsmarted him by getting three extra players for my team. He's just a sore loser because I made him look like an idiot in front of everyone. I'll be awaiting his apology for this game eagerly.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ELEPHANTS TAKE WALK-OFF WIN AGAINST SPOONERS

San Juan- In a battle between two teams likely to be swallowed alive by the Finger-Bangers, the Elephants proved to just be a little better.

The deciding run came in the tenth, when Brett Butler stretched a single into a double and then scored on a Hornsby RBI single, an easy end in a hard-fought game.

tatankatonk, who has been paranoid and anxious ever since he learned of the grim fates of every other Super-League team that has made San Juan their home, saw the win as some sort of prelude to a greater tragedy. "Oh, god! No! A win! This is bad! If we win here, then there has to be come sort of comeuppance later! Don't you all understand the meta-literary meaning of this game? The hero, newly begun on his journey, scores an early unexpected victory despite his lack of skill but, once he grows overconfident due to this success, he suffers a greater defeat that leaves him in a worse state than he was at the beginning of the story. We're doomed! Don't you understand! Doomed!"

As for the losers, UZWorm turned out to be painfully normal in his postgame comments, "Well, I can't say I'm happy to have lost, but it's a long season, and you're bound to lose a few games. That's just baseball." Asked if he perhaps had an interesting manner of speech or gimmick that he would like to share, UZWorm demurred, noting that, "Nope! As far as I know, I'm just a completely normal guy." Reporters, trying to make the interview at least somewhat exciting, asked UZWorm if this normality wasn't really hiding some sort of hidden darkness of some sort, that would perhaps slowly leak out during the season, and once again were denied, "No...I'm pretty sure I'm just an average citizen from Oneida, and, to be clear, the sect that found Oneida dispersed well over a century ago, and I am not affiliated with them."

Box Score

Hardcore Title Defenses!

: Someday, Yoshida, some day I will make them love the Super-League...yes, they'll cast aside their precious animes and learn what a real sports LP is all about!
: Really?
: Probably not, no. Anyway, welcome back to another set of Hardcore Title Defenses! Last time, the Losers retained their title with a 3-1 series win over the Spooners, but the Hardcore Title is once again on the line against the newly-formed Coburns!
: And in this three-game set, the first team to two wins will be the Hardcore Champion.
: Game 1! And Paige will take the start, and another good performance, even if he didn't pick up the win. But the Losers do get the victory thanks to some late-game heroics.
: But it looks like Paige has an injury, and I'm getting word that he'll be forced to skip his scheduled start at the end of the week.

: No comeback needed against this one, the Losers just smoke the Coburns, and by winning the first two games of the series, they'll retain the Hardcore Title!
: The Losers' pitching staff is just that good.

: Losers finish things out with a shutout by Drysdale and the suffering is over. Three games, three great performances by Losers' starting pitchers.
: There's a reason the Losers have had the best record in the Dynamo League these past two seasons.

: Indeed. But there's not much time for celebration, because the Losers will now have to head to Cleveland to defend the Hardcore Title against the Unicorns!
: The Unicorns, of course, are a storied franchise, the last surviving members of the second Expansion Class, coming off a great Gauntlet run and hoping to ride Barry Bonds to their first playoff berth in four seasons.
: But Bonds is nicked up at the moment, and so the Unicorns will be forced to start Fred Clarke at LF for this first game...but they'll pull out the win regardless.
: Good start for the Unicorns, who managed to pull a complete game shutout out of Sam Leever of all people.

: And the Losers will even up the series at one game apiece, setting up the next game as a rubber match for the Hardcore Title.
: Another shaky start for Catfish Hunter, but you would think the Unicorns will give him a bit more time to find his footing in Cleveland.
: I'd think so, they don't have a lot of better options.
: Here's an idle thought, Fred Clarke was pretty good for the team last year, do you think the Unicorns could move Bonds to center if one or both halves of their center field platoon breaks down?

: Slugfest in Cleveland, and the Unicorns will score 21 runs to capture the Hardcore Championship.
: And we were talking about Paige getting injured earlier, and this is the net result. Sabathia has a disastrous start, and the Losers lose their title because of it.
: Right, but don't take anything away from the Unicorns, they did score 21 runs and, with this win, do pull even with the Bangers for the Sic Transit Vir Division lead.

: And that will do it for this week. The Unicorns are your new Hardcore Champions, and they'll have their first defense next week against the Intercontinental Champion Unspecifieds in Antarctica. Pending the results, the second series shown next week will be either Unicorns-Dickshots or Unspecifieds-Bangers.

Team Statistics

Analysis

It was a tough week, and it's becoming clear that your rotation has some serious issues, especially since there's no way that Neagle is going to end up being decent in the Super-League.

Analysis

I have no idea how your rotation gets by with that many low-K pitchers, especially since they aren't deadballers, but it's been working.

Analysis

Grim.

Analysis

Hey! How about that! I'm right about Riggs again! What a shock!

Analysis

A new title for a mildly re-energized team!

Analysis

Well, everyone loses against the Losers, so don't get too down on your team, although, I don't understand why you aren't platooning Sandberg and Carew at 2B.

Analysis

Things would be going a lot better if 6 of your first 9 games hadn't come against the Bangers.

Analysis

The Oranges series against the Imperialists was good! Their series against the Unicorns? Bad. Welcome back, bipolar Oranges!

Analysis

Captain America has failed us all!

Analysis

Looks like there's a potential Triple-Unification Matchup next week!

Analysis

You might have to risk Hooks Dauss killing you with a giant fishhook and removing him from the rotation.

Analysis

Good pitching except for Morris which, actually, seems about right.

Analysis

The Generics starting out slow is a Super-League tradition. Like my patented holiday drink composed of Egg Nog, Scotch and Crown Royal.

Analysis

The Hardcore Title is just hard to hold onto. The Losers still lead their division, however, and I imagine ToiletofSadness cares a lot more about that.

Analysis

Up and down.

Analysis

No more off days ever! Burn, Bloggers, burn!

Standings and Leaders

A. Drive to Village Crossings to get fuel for the rocket cycle! - 2 votes

B. Get something to eat, there's probably some frozen burritos in the freezer or something! - 3 votes

C. Contact the Mark Grace of Earth-2 for help with the rocket fuel! - 8 votes

There was only one possible solution to this problem....Earth-2. I mean, yes, technically Mark Grace could go to the mall, but he'd have to get into his car, and drive to the mall, and that just seemed like too much work. No, going to Earth-2 was definitely the place to get some rocket fuel.

Of course, getting there would take some doing, or it would if Mark hadn't found a weak spot between dimensions a while back on the corner of McCormick and Howard. He got in the 626, and put his most rockin' Led Zeppelin cassette into the tape deck, it was time to get things done.

Driving north on McCormick, he prepared his car to crossover. This was the tricky part. In this world, there was a bridge over the canal that separated Skokie and Evanston, which was where the weak spot was located. In Earth-2, though, the bridge was never built for whatever reason, but the canal was still there. He'd have to build up enough speed, or he'd certainly wreck his car and get himself killed.

Putting the pedal to the metal, Grace built up as much speed as he could. 60 mph...70...80...and away he went....right through dimensions and over a bridge that disappeared halfway through. Grace clenched his teeth, and braced for impact as his car crested in the air above the canal and began to dive back towards the surface. Streaking through the air, the 626 landed just on the other side of the water, landing on the ground with a large thud.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Grace started driving down the roads of Earth-2...wait, is that 7-11 advertising Crystal Pepsi?

DECISION TIME!

Will Mark Grace...

A. Stop for Crystal Pepsi!

B. Get around to visiting Earth-2 Mark Grace to get that rocket fuel!

C. Mark Grace is still hungry! Get Earth-2 Gyros!

VOTE OR SUFFER!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Crystal Pepsi!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Week 1 pythag: 3-1
Week 2 pythag: 3-7

how rude

fake edit: also A.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Apparently my pitching staff takes Sundays off. 34 of 48 runs allowed have come in two games. Ow, my pythag record!

Edit: Obit: A. Get the Crystal Pepsi!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
A Crystal Pepsi is awesome.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
The answer is always Crystal Pepsi. A.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A

Earth-2 is clearly the superior Earth.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
A, holy poo poo, Crystal Pepsi

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A unless you can replace the gyros with falafel

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
In Baseball News... My god this is bad! Why is by back up catcher playing LF? What happened to my lineup?!

In CYOA News... A.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

C. Mark Grace is still hungry! Get Earth-2 Gyros!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Characterized as a libertarian, truly the deepest blow imaginable.

Also: holy poo poo, I hadn't even noticed that I didn't have a single off day in the first month of the season. Cripes! :gonk:

But luckily, I know the solution! My new plans are statistically guaranteed to give the Bloggers a maximal chance of victory while providing optimal rest! To wit:

1) Jim Delahanty is banished from the land for his crimes of sub-Mendoza hitting and awful infield defense. Luis Aparicio replaces him as the short half of my 2B platoon, and will be berated mercilessly via Twitter should he make any game-losing errors.
2) Replacing Delahanty on the bench to platoon with K. Puckett will be Lenny Dykstra.
3) Andrew McCutchen spends a week platooning with Barry Bonds, hoping to keep him rested for the big showdown with the Tornados next week.
4) Bill Freehan's new personal catching duties ought to get him 3 starts this week.
5) My new sliders guarantee perfect use of my bench and bullpen, which should ensure victory in any close games this week.

Finally, the Bloggers will not vote in this sham of an obituary, in protest of the woeful treatment we have received at the hands of the Commissar's office. :colbert: