Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mediaphage posted:

Three is overkill on an SSD.

HDDs too. one pass is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are these Haswell chips suppose to be super great? I want to replace my 2010 era 13" MBP with a new 13" MBA, but I don't need to and can wait another half year for the new ones. The way I see it, I think the current era MBA is already more powerful than my MBP, and my MBP is still doing great, but I like new and shiny things.

Current desktop leaks, rumors and speculations point at a 10% CPU (IPC) increase and a decent 20-50% GPU performance increase at the same TDP.
Clockspeed will apparently stay the same, give or take a 0.1 Ghz increase for marketing reasons.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2288819

I expected Haswell to bring much larger increases than that. The improved powerful iGPU is a very nice thing for gamers and the 13" rMBP, but it seems to take up a large part of the thermal envelope so that the CPU performance difference between Ivy Bridge and Haswell is shaping up to be moderate at best.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah but we have reached a point where CPU speeds aren't really holding anyone back any more.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'd like a docking station for my MacBook Pro. Is Henge Docks the way to go?

eames
May 9, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah but we have reached a point where CPU speeds aren't really holding anyone back any more.

I agree and I’m ready for a ridiculously thin ARM Macbook Air running OS X. It could double as an iPad with a flippable the screen, like the Lenovo Yoga or Dell XPS 12

(yes, it probably won’t happen anytime soon)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xabi posted:

I looked around at MBP docks a couple months ago and decided that when I do get a dock, it'll be a Henge.

Everything else I've found seems to be prohibitively expensive, but not any better.

The biggest complaint about the Henge docks that I found is that initial setup, where you put all the cables in, is a bit of a pain in the rear end. If you don't do it just right, the MBP won't dock smoothy. If you're far enough off, it won't dock at all.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Xabi posted:

I have a Matrox DS1 on order. It should be an interesting competitor in the space.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I got a 2003 17" iMac G4 off a friend of a friend who lives across the country. She said it turned on fine when she tried it prior to shipping but when it got here, it wouldn't turn on. I tried a SMC reset (unplug everything, hold power button for 10-20 seconds) and a PRAM reset (apple-alt-p-r and power on) but nope, nothing will turn it on.

Anything else I can try? I already tried different outlets, but it's no good.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm trying to buy a macbook pro. I was ready to buy the new 15.4" retina but a friend just offered to sell his pristine Febraury 2012 13.3" for $600. Good deal? I'm on the fence. Pretty sure it's the base model and I think the 1280x800 is going to hurt after staring at the apple store retina displays all morning. But its won't destroy my wallet.

Anybody have experience with logic studio's performance? That's probably the most labor intensive program I want to use.

e: is a February 2012 13.3" macbook pro a dual core or quad core?

e2: gently caress this, I want the retina please. :20bux::20bux::20bux:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 18, 2012

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Bob Morales posted:

Which model and how much?

Not quite sure what it's worth. $650?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TheState posted:

Not quite sure what it's worth. $650?

EDIT: NM I misread everything, I made a worthless comment.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 18, 2012

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Probably worth $650, but you are asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is will it do what I want? What do you want to do with this computer?

The 13's don't have a discrete graphics cards, but that should be a pretty good machine.

That was in response to what Bob Morales asked me. This is the machine I'm probably going to sell.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Stick100 posted:

EDIT: NM I misread everything, I made a worthless comment.

You're not worthless. Good looking out, man.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are these Haswell chips suppose to be super great? I want to replace my 2010 era 13" MBP with a new 13" MBA, but I don't need to and can wait another half year for the new ones. The way I see it, I think the current era MBA is already more powerful than my MBP, and my MBP is still doing great, but I like new and shiny things.

Similar to the Ivy Bridge refresh the biggest improvement will be better 3D gaming performance due to some upgrades to the integrated GPU design.

Main reason to play to resale game is avoid seeing the price drop too much due to dropping to many generations behind before doing the sell and upgrade routine.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 18, 2012

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Could any sound engineers or anyone who messes around with audio editing please give me some advice?

I'm studying radio next year at a pretty focused creative arts and media school (the radio faculty is a building for about a dozen students) and their labs are mostly iMacs, as well as their software being traditionally OSX native programs like ProTools and VoxPro. I was due for a new laptop and was thinking a Lenovo ThinkPad, but seeing the school's leaning towards Mac and Apple do you think investing a bit more money and getting a MacBook Pro is worth it?

I suppose the heart of the question is how important to people find matching their hardware and OS to that of their environment?

(And do any Australians know good online retailers for Macs, or is it best to deal directly with Apple education/refurbisher?)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hocus Pocus posted:

...school's leaning towards Mac and Apple do you think investing a bit more money and getting a MacBook Pro is worth it?

I suppose the heart of the question is how important to people find matching their hardware and OS to that of their environment?

I tell my students (teach electro-acoustic music in a university) that the platform doesn't matter at all. If you're a Windows person, use it. There's great software on all platforms.

That said, if for some reason your university expects you to work at home (this is rare in lab-based classes), you may want to match your platform. But again, that's only if there's a really good reason that they've made clear to you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hocus Pocus posted:

(And do any Australians know good online retailers for Macs, or is it best to deal directly with Apple education/refurbisher?)

Cheapest Mac you're gonna get is a stock model from Dick Smith or JB Hifi when they have a 10% off offer.

Second best would be refurb store.

If you want BTO then you have to suck it up and pay education prices.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Cross posting from software, because thinking about it more, it could very well be hardware related...

I took a couple episodes of Archer over to my brother's last night on an external hard drive. He hooked up his (older, not sure what model) macbook pro (has a black bezel) up to his TV with a dongle HDMI converter. The playback was really choppy and stuttering and the audio kept getting desynchronized, is this just an issue of underpowered hardware? I remembered that in order to use clamshell you had to have an external keyboard (which he didn't) and initially I thought it might have been because I was running rsync in the background but I killed that and it didn't make a difference. Then I thought he might have had a bunch of poo poo running so I killed his open stuff, rebooted but that still didn't help.

My 2012 MBA has no problem streaming content across my home network, and even less I would imagine playing something off a hard drive.

I just tried hooking up the external to my computer and had zero playback issues.

Content: H264 1280x720 mkv
HDD ext3, using OSXFUSE with the ext2 FUSE module
Playback using MPlayerX

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SeaborneClink posted:

Cross posting from software, because thinking about it more, it could very well be hardware related...

I took a couple episodes of Archer over to my brother's last night on an external hard drive. He hooked up his (older, not sure what model) macbook pro (has a black bezel) up to his TV with a dongle HDMI converter. The playback was really choppy and stuttering and the audio kept getting desynchronized, is this just an issue of underpowered hardware? I remembered that in order to use clamshell you had to have an external keyboard (which he didn't) and initially I thought it might have been because I was running rsync in the background but I killed that and it didn't make a difference. Then I thought he might have had a bunch of poo poo running so I killed his open stuff, rebooted but that still didn't help.

My 2012 MBA has no problem streaming content across my home network, and even less I would imagine playing something off a hard drive.

I just tried hooking up the external to my computer and had zero playback issues.

Content: H264 1280x720 mkv
HDD ext3, using OSXFUSE with the ext2 FUSE module
Playback using MPlayerX

crazysim posted:

The only sketchy thing in there is that OSXFuse setup.

Maybe you could have increased the cache size in Mplayer? Or maybe copy the file to the desktop before playback and see if that makes a difference? Also, what about VLC?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

crazysim posted:

The only sketchy thing in there is that OSXFuse setup.

Thanks for the reply, both of them in fact. I don't understand what's so sketchy about OSXFuse though. The external is normally mounted as a NAS drive on the router, which is why it's formatted as ext3 and thus why I needed OSXFuse. Why would that be the hangup if it works just fine on my MBA, flawlessly in fact...

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
There are some funky OS buffer and cache things that have to be dealt with in OSXFuse. Your MBA is streaming across the network which means the filesystem on the external doesn't really matter anymore at that point.

If hooking the external directly (not over a network) to your MBA with OSXFuse has it working fine, then I don't know.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Basic troubleshooting:

Copy the same file to the hard disk and play it.
Try playing it in VLC.
Try remuxing it to .mp4 and playing it in QT.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

crazysim posted:

There are some funky OS buffer and cache things that have to be dealt with in OSXFuse. Your MBA is streaming across the network which means the filesystem on the external doesn't really matter anymore at that point.

If hooking the external directly (not over a network) to your MBA with OSXFuse has it working fine, then I don't know.

Sorry, I should have clarified better, it worked great over the network, then for testing purposes I installed OSXFuse and replicated everything I had tried to do, except trying to drive a ~40in TV via HDMI (don't have the adapter), on my MBA and it played fine, no jitter, stutter or chop. Granted trouble shooting this is a bit difficult since it requires having my brother's mbp handy, which I don't very often. I just wanted to run the situation by people and see if anything jumped out as a glaring issue.

I would probably unquestionably accept your OSXFuse diagnosis, if it hadn't worked flawlessly on my MBA. Then again maybe I can't say I completely tested it without plugging it into my TV, so I'll probably pick up a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter tomorrow.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm using Mplayer OSX Extended.

Try settings similar to this next time then:

http://i.imgur.com/6RKdk.png

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A friend of mine recently had her 2010 Macbook Pro stolen from a nightclub she was doing visuals at when some tosser left a door unlocked that shouldn't have been. They've called the police but I think things are more or less going to turn up trumps for her. She was probably due a new laptop anyway but it's pretty unfortunate she didn't have insurance.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure she's going to come to me about asking for a replacement. The most intensive thing she's going to be putting her laptop through is Photoshop and Sibelius (music notation software), so I wanted to ask what it would be better to go with for either of these:

Macbook Air 13"
1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

or

Macbook Pro 13"
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

In either case I could imagine it'd probably be a good idea for her to bump it up to 8GB Ram, but does anyone have any recommendations on SSD Hard Drive vs Faster Processor for Photoshop? Would turbo boost on the weaker i5 more or less make up the deficit when running demanding photoshop tasks?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

A friend of mine recently had her 2010 Macbook Pro stolen from a nightclub she was doing visuals at when some tosser left a door unlocked that shouldn't have been. They've called the police but I think things are more or less going to turn up trumps for her. She was probably due a new laptop anyway but it's pretty unfortunate she didn't have insurance.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure she's going to come to me about asking for a replacement. The most intensive thing she's going to be putting her laptop through is Photoshop and Sibelius (music notation software), so I wanted to ask what it would be better to go with for either of these:

Macbook Air 13"
Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

or

Macbook Pro 13"
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000

In either case I could imagine it'd probably be a good idea for her to bump it up to 8GB Ram, but does anyone have any recommendations on SSD Hard Drive vs Faster Processor for Photoshop? Would turbo boost on the weaker i5 more or less make up the deficit when running demanding photoshop tasks?

The Air will have the better screen of the two which to me definitely sounds better for Photoshop and is probably better for that music editor as well. Get a 8GB MBA, never look back.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eames posted:

I agree and I’m ready for a ridiculously thin ARM Macbook Air running OS X. It could double as an iPad with a flippable the screen, like the Lenovo Yoga or Dell XPS 12

(yes, it probably won’t happen anytime soon)

Good lord, why would anybody want arm in something that isn't mobile? And even then, arm doesn't offer too much advantage in power savings anymore.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Getting a 2TB Time Capsule for Christmas. Is there anything I should know to get the most of it? I've never had a backup system, networked drive, or decent router (I guess my e3000 did the job).

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

Getting a 2TB Time Capsule for Christmas. Is there anything I should know to get the most of it? I've never had a backup system, networked drive, or decent router (I guess my e3000 did the job).

Depends if you want to use features like guest network, port mapping and file sharing. If you don't, it's pretty much "fire-and-forget" procedure. I've had mine for years and it requires no maintenance whatsoever.

You might want to connect via wire to do initial backup, though. Incremental backups are generally OK to run over Wi-Fi.

Edit: thought I missed a word, but I actually didn't.

noskill fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Trying to get my sister a hardshell case for her 2011 13" macbook pro. Any suggestions goons?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought a Sandisk 16GB SDHC card to use on my Raspberry Pi - I'm writing an image to the card using my Macbook Air

~/Desktop/rpi $ sudo dd if=2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=8m

According to activity monitor it's going at a whoping 2.05MB/s

Is that as fast as I can expect it to go? I think it's a class 4 card.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Entropy238 posted:

Macbook Air 13"
Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000

or

Macbook Pro 13"
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Air, and 4Gb is fine. You can find really cheap refurb 2011 Airs right now. The base 13in 2011 Air would be fine for her (like around $650). As long as she didn't have a discrete video card a 2011 13 Air will probably be an upgrade over a 2010 pro.

The 13in pro and 13in retina pro are the two biggest rip offs apple is selling right now (besides a mac pro). The answer is always get an air unless you want a discrete video card.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Bob Morales posted:

According to activity monitor it's going at a whoping 2.05MB/s

Is that as fast as I can expect it to go? I think it's a class 4 card.

I think maybe. It should really take 4 MB/s though, if it's class 4.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Air, and 4Gb is fine. You can find really cheap refurb 2011 Airs right now. The base 13in 2011 Air would be fine for her (like around $650). As long as she didn't have a discrete video card a 2011 13 Air will probably be an upgrade over a 2010 pro.

The 13in pro and 13in retina pro are the two biggest rip offs apple is selling right now (besides a mac pro). The answer is always get an air unless you want a discrete video card.

Air is pretty much the best option right now especially since the old MBP is reaching end of life and the overall portability factor of the Air just makes it a more handy laptop.

And the SSD gives the MBA a big performance and boot advantage over a mechanical drive Pro.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't see the SSD as an Air advantage. It's trivial to add it to the MBP for under $100. Or $150 if you want a 256gig.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stick100 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a gander at the 13" airs on sale when she goes to buy one in a months time and try and get a good deal.

edit: oops doublequote - thanks Zorax too

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of people are not mentioning how expensive it gets to buy a MacBook Air with a larger hard drive to compare to the Pro line.

The Pro's start at 500GB where the Air starts at 64/128, depending on what size we're talking about.

If its your only computer, this might be a very important thing to keep in mind.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of people are not mentioning how expensive it gets to buy a MacBook Air with a larger hard drive to compare to the Pro line.

The Pro's start at 500GB where the Air starts at 64/128, depending on what size we're talking about.

If its your only computer, this might be a very important thing to keep in mind.

Yeah I figured that in to the equation. On amazon at the minute the difference between same specced MBAs with 128GB and 256GB SSDs is £550 - About 700 dollars if I'm not mistaken which is just crazy. I think she'll probably be grand with the 128GB and using externals but thanks for the concern.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PaganGoatPants posted:

Trying to get my sister a hardshell case for her 2011 13" macbook pro. Any suggestions goons?

I used to use an Incase one in matte black; the only reason I stopped is that I didn't like the extra size that all hard cases add (I moved to a soft case.) I've also heard good things about the Speck Satin or whatever they call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

But often you can find good refurb deals from month to month such as a 256MB 2012 Air for $1250.

And with all steaming services for things such as music a massive hard drive is really not as useful for mainstream users unless you are downloading piles of videos or games to the hard drive. Even Itunes has a steam from cloud option now to save up space.

And the 13" MBA is a nicer option due to better native resolution and more portability compared to the MBP 13".

The old Pro still has some appeal if you need the piles ports or want a built in optic drive. And is also a bit nicer for typing due to the higher key travel vs. the MBA.

carry on then posted:

I used to use an Incase one in matte black; the only reason I stopped is that I didn't like the extra size that all hard cases add (I moved to a soft case.) I've also heard good things about the Speck Satin or whatever they call it.

Moshi makes pretty decent cases even though they tend to expensive and the plastic they use is durable enough to pass the key scratch test. Sort of nice since some softer cases can start to look ugly after a few months due to all the scratch damage.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 20, 2012