Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

What competent football writer could see 2.9 OPIs per game and say "yep, that's reasonable"? Even without compiling any stats that number should look way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derelict515
Sep 10, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

What competent football writer could see 2.9 OPIs per game and say "yep, that's reasonable"? Even without compiling any stats that number should look way off.

Pretty much.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mind_Taker posted:

He's a guy who's part of ESPN's divisional blogs, which includes such greats as noted dumbass Paul Kuharsky

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mind_Taker posted:

On top of that, he quotes a player as having the most OPIs as having only 3 OPIs total. That would mean, for 2.9 OPIs a game to be accurate you'd need at least 300~ players with 2 OPIs each, so Kenny Britt could be the champion of shoving off.

Let's say each team has on average about 8 eligible receiving targets. 4-5 WRs, 1-2 TEs, 1-2 RBs/FBs. That's 256 total receiving targets that could possibly commit OPI.

I guess ol' Kevin was in a rush to get that article out or something because :psyberger: The weird thing is that Seifert usually is okay - not great or even really all that insightful, but not bad. I read his blog since it's an useful aggregrator of NFC North news.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Seifert has since edited the post to read: "Offensive pass interference calls aren't as rare as you might think. Through Week 14, officials had called a total of 72. Still, that's an avearge of about one for every three games this season."

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
He's sticking to his guns that that's not rare huh. Admirable

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ham is having a freakout over the horrendous reporting in this article. Just look at the sourcing, especially compared to the bald assertion in the headline.

quote:

Still not starting, Tebow feels Jets misled him
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider
December 18, 2012 3:46 pm ET

Mark Sanchez is benched. That's not a shock. Fifty turnovers in two seasons will do that. What is a shock is that Tim Tebow didn't get the start and I'm told he isn't happy about it at all.

Greg McElroy will quarterback the team Sunday, but let's back up for a moment. When the Jets traded for Tebow, he was informed that he would get a chance to start should something happen to Sanchez (either due to injury or benching). But that hasn't truly happened and I'm told Tebow feels like the Jets misled him.

Tebow may deny this because he's the good soldier but there's no question he feels this way.

Whether you think Tebow can play quarterback or not, these feelings are understandable. Why in the hell did the Jets trade for Tebow? That's a fair question. Part of the answer may be that Tebow is so bad in practice, they don't feel they can trust him. But the Jets had to have some idea that Tebow can't run a conventional offense. All they had to do is look at what he did in Denver.

So some of this was Rex Ryan's ego. He thought he could mold Tebow into a good quarterback but now Ryan sees what the Broncos discovered: that it's an impossible mission. So now the quarterback situation is messy.

And will only get worse.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21420270/still-not-starting-tebow-feels-jets-misled-him

Im told mike Freeman is a fucktard shitlord terrorist who is the worst. He may deny it but I can tell you it's true. I am told

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Rap posted:

Im told mike Freeman is a fucktard shitlord terrorist who is the worst. He may deny it but I can tell you it's true. I am told

You can use me as a second source to confirm.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I can guarantee you anonymity to the point that I won't identify you as a 9ers poster, a TFF poster, a SAS poster, an SA poster, a user of the internet, an adult, or even a human.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
FWIW it was widely believed at the time of the Tebow trade that he was going to be given a fair shot at the job. I would have been stunned to disbelief if you'd told me that not only would Sanchez play this bad and Tebow would never see the field, but that Sanchez would have ultimately ended up ceding the job to McElroy and not Tebow.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
For the sake of my own sanity, I always replace the word 'source' with 'horse in sports reporting. It makes things more entertaining.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Incredible Ed posted:

For the sake of my own sanity, I always replace the word 'source' with 'horse in sports reporting. It makes things more entertaining.

Please find a way to cover the Kentucky Derby.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
Mike Freeman said on Twitter that pundits doubted Cam Newton out of college due to racism. I told him that Newtown was consensus number one pick and that it's crazy to randomly call a bunch of your colleagues racist. He blocked me. :cry:

Maybe he's right, but I don't think you can just glibly say something like that on Twitter. If you think it's true, you build a case and write a piece about it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the doubts about Cam were more based on the offense he ran in Auburn and the fact that he only had one big year in college, but what the gently caress do I know.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

jeffersonlives posted:

FWIW it was widely believed at the time of the Tebow trade that he was going to be given a fair shot at the job. I would have been stunned to disbelief if you'd told me that not only would Sanchez play this bad and Tebow would never see the field, but that Sanchez would have ultimately ended up ceding the job to McElroy and not Tebow.

I don't know why you'd be surprised, Tebow is quite awful.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Nobody click this link for any reason http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/media-awards-2012/?xid=cnnbin ("SI.com 2012 Media Awards")

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rap posted:

Nobody click this link for any reason

Whew. Thanks for the warning- dodged a bullet there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rap posted:

Nobody click this link for any reason http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/media-awards-2012/?xid=cnnbin ("SI.com 2012 Media Awards")

Yeah, I was poisoned with the link earlier, but there's a few things that are worthwhile:

quote:

...Gonzalo Le Batard, the father of Miami Herald writer Dan Le Batard and the main reason to turn into ESPN2's Dan Le Batard Is Highly Questionable. The elder Le Batard has become more comfortable in front of the camera over the course of the year and is fantastically entertaining on a show that isn't for everyone.

Best News Feature on a Sports Program

ESPN's Outside the Lines: Breaking the Silence

A remarkably filmed and reported piece on Monika Korra, an SMU cross-country runner from Norway who survived a brutal rape to emerge as a figure of strength and self-reliance. I'd urge you to watch, and kudos to producer Kory Kozak.

Also the duds section:

• NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp recklessly tweeted that former New Orleans tight end Jeremy Shockey was an informant (Sapp used the word "snitch") in the Saints' bounty scandal that resulted in extensive penalties for the team. Shockey repeatedly denied being the whistleblower, and no evidence emerged that he was behind anything.

• In one of the worst tweets of the year, Columbus, Ohio-based sports-talk host Scott Torgerson said, "I wish Desmond Howard would get fired or die so I can watch GameDay again." Torgerson later apologized for what he defended as an obvious joke (his Twitter feed was deleted), but Howard's wife, Rebkah, didn't find it funny. She tweeted: "Thx for the 'apologizes.' Are you fortunate enough to be a father? Know who didn't get your 'total (dead) joke'? Our daughter." Torgerson now works for 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland.

• CBS' The NFL Today aired as tone-deaf a pregame show as we've ever seen after the murder-suicide of Kasandra Perkins and Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher. The program opened with a ham-handed live advertisement for Garmin that featured host James Brown's hawking the product like a GPS-happy P.T. Barnum and went downhill fast from there.

• On the day the Freeh Report was released documenting Penn State's internal investigation of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, ESPN inexplicably opted to use college football analyst and Penn State alum Matt Millen as a solo analyst. The decision launched the kind of vitriol in social media usually reserved for former ESPN college football analyst Craig James. Millen's initial reaction was something out of a Kafka novel, a jumble of head-shaking statements unchallenged by those asking him questions.

• On this same topic, the Big Ten Network aired a replay of an Ohio State-Purdue football game instead of the Freeh Report news conference.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Opening with announcer of the year Joe Buck made me squeal in shock/horror and I got fired from my job and am living on the street so I couldn't get to those parts

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't blame you man, I had to soldier on, like scrolling through a TMQ article to get to the parts where he creeps on cheerleaders.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't know why you'd be surprised, Tebow is quite awful.

It's just mindboggling that you'd trade for Tim Tebow and use him neither as a short yardage runner nor as media cover to usurp your increasingly unpopular starter. I'd ask what the point was but I don't think they ever knew either.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
They didn't quite realize just how bad Tebow was.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

They didn't quite realize just how bad Tebow was.

Did they not own a television?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

midwat posted:

Did they not own a television?

A short memory, and combined with 316 yds against the Steelers is enough to fool anybody.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I was poisoned with the link earlier, but there's a few things that are worthwhile:

quote:

ESPN2's Numbers Never Lie had a chance to be something unique, an interesting sports analytics-based show with a panel of nontraditional, smart television people delivering interesting content for the Nate Silver-loving crowd. Instead, it quickly morphed into another unwatchable debate program between ex-jocks. Sad.

I blame QBR.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I can't believe Rob Parker only got suspended for a month. What if someone on ESPN said Dirk wasn't really white because he had a black wife and basically called him a race traitor.*

*I stole this point from someone on twitter.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

NC-17 posted:

I blame QBR.

The fact that the show has Hugh Douglas on it is a testament to how bad the show destroyed its potential. That man is maybe the most aggressively dumb commentator I have ever watched

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The fact that the show has Hugh Douglas on it is a testament to how bad the show destroyed its potential. That man is maybe the most aggressively dumb commentator I have ever watched

Yup, when it started it was an interesting experiment at least, mixing the c-list jock personalities with guys like Aaron Schatz and various baseball/basketball advanced stat guys, but I knew it was in trouble after the 10th time they had Schatz explain what DVOA was and everyone else on the panel act like he started talking in farsi.

Then after a few months they killed that and retooled it as Michael Smith (who at least tries) moderating between Hugh Douglas and Jalen Rose, who both loving love to talk about winning.

Considering how they debuted, I'm pretty shocked that Dan Lebetard's Highly Questionable is so much better then it has any right to be, while NNL is just so loving terrible.

This is probably the episode where I totally changed my opinion of Highly Questionable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nct34hSkIPQ

A laid back show just treating sports like the fun it should be is actually a nice niche.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 21, 2012

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Kalli posted:

This is probably the episode where I totally changed my opinion of Highly Questionable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nct34hSkIPQ

A laid back show just treating sports like the fun it should be is actually a nice niche.

This is extremely entertaining and now I want to watch more of this.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I really want to see a drunk Pat Sajak on "Wheel of Fortune".

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

quote:

ESPN

But these next two weeks, the Bengals have an opportunity to change their little brother status. A young Cincinnati team with a promising quarterback, a star wide receiver and a creative and tactical defense improbably sits at 8-6 after starting the season 3-5. The Bengals can clinch at least a wild-card berth Sunday with a win at Pittsburgh. If that happens and the New York Giants win at Baltimore on Sunday, Cincinnati can win the division by beating the Ravens at home in Week 17.

Imagine that. The Bengals could be AFC North champs if they can beat the two teams that have dominated the division and them.

Yes. Thank you for that stunning piece of information.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Noah posted:

Yes. Thank you for that stunning piece of information.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the Bengals could be Superbowl champs if they can beat the other team playing in the game!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'd almost argue that's supposed to be ironic but given how much ESPN loves storylines and wrapping poo poo [their reporting] up with bows I think it's sincere and NOTHING IS WORSE THAN SINCERITY

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Bengals also used to give the Ravens absolute fits until Palmer, Joseph, and Ochocinco all left and the curse was broken. And since then the Ravens haven't had as many problems with them. But in Palmer's career, man the Bengals would beat our asses every time. So that's incorrect to say we've dominated them.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

The Bengals also used to give the Ravens absolute fits until Palmer, Joseph, and Ochocinco all left and the curse was broken. And since then the Ravens haven't had as many problems with them. But in Palmer's career, man the Bengals would beat our asses every time. So that's incorrect to say we've dominated them.

I think the bigger issue is the rise of Ray Rice and the continued decline of the Bengals LBs causing huge mismatches, more so than the loss of Palmer (Who admittedly played great against Baltimore for some unknown reason). But I really do think that situation will change now, as bad as the MNF game week 1 was, I have faith that the Bengals can win this upcoming home game, and in Baltimore if need be in the playoffs. Of course with all the Ravens' injuries and the Bengals getting healthier through the year (Seriously week 1 we were screwed with the starters we'd lost in the 3 weeks prior), excluding Sanu, they're hardly the same teams any more.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am kinda rooting for the Bengals this week only because the Steelers will be screwed post-season anyways and I am tired of watching them lose to the Broncos who would be the week 1 match-up.

Either let the Steelers win the division or just skip the whole shitshow.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

KettleWL posted:

I think the bigger issue is the rise of Ray Rice and the continued decline of the Bengals LBs causing huge mismatches, more so than the loss of Palmer (Who admittedly played great against Baltimore for some unknown reason). But I really do think that situation will change now, as bad as the MNF game week 1 was, I have faith that the Bengals can win this upcoming home game, and in Baltimore if need be in the playoffs. Of course with all the Ravens' injuries and the Bengals getting healthier through the year (Seriously week 1 we were screwed with the starters we'd lost in the 3 weeks prior), excluding Sanu, they're hardly the same teams any more.

Oh yeah I'm aware of all that, sorry for the confusion. I was just referring to what I always considered some kind of voodoo curse on the Ravens with those players because even when other teams were putting up tons of points on the Bengals, our offense would soil itself and do nothing. And ever since they left we haven't had as much trouble scoring. Joseph always did kill us for real, though.

It's just that the story that the Ravens have somehow dominated over the Bengals over the last decade is wrong, and that aside from the last couple games in the series the Bengals have given us a lot of trouble since 2004 in that comeback game in Baltimore.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't even know how to reply to this:

Peter King posted:

Quote of the Week II

"They don't keep a record of meaningless yards, and these are meaningless yards. I hate to say it, but they are."

-- ESPN's Jon Gruden, with a valid point late in another double-digit Lions' loss, as Calvin Johnson of Detroit broke Jerry Rice's all-time record for receiving yards in a season.

These are the kinds of points a great analyst makes. Good job by Gruden.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to see Peter King walk 2000 yards in his entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

I don't even know how to reply to this:

Wasn't this still when Detroit had a small shot at closing a 2-score gap had the free kick returner not been dumb?

Maybe he means that all yards are meaningless because we will all die one day. Nihilist-commentator John Gruden could be entertaining. Peter King will still suck.

• Locked thread