Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

Yeah, I did. The most common one didn't work for Steam but looks like there was another solution.

As for Mirror's Edge, no idea. Definitely not doing it blind at this point but it doesn't seem like a game that there is much to talk about at times.

Maybe some comments about story after the animation sequences but I'd have to edit in a pause. Probably need to look into autoducking as well.

I have been going back and forth about doing a lp of mirrors edge myself for awhile now. And I agree with you that things to comment on would be a little sparse. I feel like a minimalist commentary style would be needed. Maybe even subtitled.

Also the story/cut scenes suck and you should in no way spend very much time talking about them . They ruin what is otherwise a very beautiful stylish game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Bleh, I got tagged for copyrighted music again. Oh well, I'll deal with it the same as last time.

As always, worried about commentary. But also, I tried lowering my mouse sensitivity after entering Apollo Square.

Start of Apollo Square.

Did it help or did I just get use to the mouse sensitivity at the end of the episode?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I'd say a perfect example of how you should handle your view control is at the "Gene Traitor" hanging. You looked at it but moved right on. Lingering too long does ruin pacing, but you really only scanned by it. Taking time to let people see (and you yourself too) the environments is important. Also when people play a game we tend to look downward. I can handle this when I am playing, but when I am watching it feels really off. So I'd make an effort to level the view out and on occasion take some time to just look up and pan across the ceilings.

The commentary as also improved from the first videos. I can say I'd look forward to you starting up a new LP and going into it fresh with the improvements.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hmmm, I do seem to keep the crosshair at kneecap level. Alright, I'll try to keep it more level and show off more of the area.

Actually looked back at my third-person LP and I seem to purposely point it a bit downwards even after the game straightens it out. Kind of interesting that it isn't related to POV or how much loot is on the ground.

I suppose Mirror's Edge would be great practice for controlling the view.

edit: Gah, I just watched some of my favorite LPers play Far Cry 3 and they do keep the camera pretty level. And it looks very good that way. Definitely, something that I haven't been doing.

Maybe I'll go play some Counter-Strike and see I handle the view there. I'm pretty sure I kept that level at least...

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 16, 2012

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Why do you think that is, that people tend to point the crosshair slightly down anyway? It's an interesting phenomenon. Is there anything to explain it? I
never noticed myself doing it, but it must be unconscious.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Probably because people are keeping an eye out for loot, ammo or whatever drops in whatever game they're playing.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Why do you think that is, that people tend to point the crosshair slightly down anyway? It's an interesting phenomenon. Is there anything to explain it? I

I think that I do it because of Tom Clancy books always pushing the aim low so the recoil will bring your sights up thing. Whenever I play an FPS, I'm always shooting people in the crotch. :jihad::dong:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BgRdMchne posted:

I think that I do it because of Tom Clancy books always pushing the aim low so the recoil will bring your sights up thing. Whenever I play an FPS, I'm always shooting people in the crotch. :jihad::dong:

I too used to declare war on dongs and asses, but now I usually aim for the middle torso and let the wonders of muzzle climb do the rest.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You guys are all doing it wrong. You use a pistol or single shot rifle and do nothing but pop heads. Automatics are for the weak.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Agent355 posted:

You guys are all doing it wrong. You use a pistol or single shot rifle and do nothing but pop heads. Automatics are for the weak.

You do it for the Mozambique drill with a pistol, too. If you're trying to stop a threat with one round from a handgun, you're doing it wrong. Make sure you neutralize the threat. Double-tap at least.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Automatics are for when you need to tear through a shitload of HP, fast.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Automatics are for when you need to tear through a shitload of HP, fast.

Shoot the weakpoints for massive damage.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Here's a test post for a possible thread: Transformers vs. Dinosaurs - Let's Read Robot Commando! [CYOA] Any and all criticism gratefully received.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's related to the fact that we do it in real life. We're watching the ground in front of us so that we know where to place our feet. Try walking cross-country or on an unfamiliar road sometime and see how long you can keep your head up before either getting anxious and looking back down or else tripping over something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it's more natural to navigate when you can see more of the ground. Simple as that.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Magvel 776: Let's play Fire Emblem: Girls!

So what's this about?
Fire Emblem: Girls is a ROM hack of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the Gameboy Advance.

What's Fire Emblem?
A series of turn-based strategy games. This LP will assume you're at least somewhat familiar with the gameplay mechanics of the series, so if you haven't played an FE game before, have a look at Artix74's LP of Blazing Sword or Fedule's LP of Path of Radiance.

What makes this hack stand out?
It allows for reclassing, gives units skills, and a plethora of other gameplay changes. There's a lot of characters put in from FE6 and FE7, and the support system has been expanded (though there are no conversations for any of them).

Test post

I know I missed a few screenshots, and I won't actually be getting this off the ground until I actually finish the game. I know it's bad form to do a blind LP, and I'm not going to do a mostly-blind LP.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Minus Green posted:

So what's this about?
Fire Emblem: Girls is a ROM hack of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the Gameboy Advance.

What's Fire Emblem?
A series of turn-based strategy games. This LP will assume you're at least somewhat familiar with the gameplay mechanics of the series, so if you haven't played an FE game before, have a look at Artix74's LP of Blazing Sword or Fedule's LP of Path of Radiance.

It allows for reclassing, gives units skills, and a plethora of other gameplay changes. There's a lot of characters put in from FE6 and FE7, and the support system has been expanded (though there are no conversations for any of them).

Test post

I know I missed a few screenshots, and I won't actually be getting this off the ground until I actually finish the game. I know it's bad form to do a blind LP, and I'm not going to do a mostly-blind LP.

From a technical standpoint at least, make the screenshots twice as big. I'm straining myself to see them.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Minus Green posted:

So what's this about?

What's Fire Emblem?

Test post

Your screenshots are way too small; doubling the size would probably be fine. Also I'm a bit confused why some parts of dialogue and on-screen text is in English but some of it is Japanese? Also at a point you react with '...wait, what?' to a piece of completely Japanese text. It might be good to explain what was said or what's going on there cause the audience will have no idea. Like are you just reading a vague translation guide?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Your screenshots are way too small; doubling the size would probably be fine. Also I'm a bit confused why some parts of dialogue and on-screen text is in English but some of it is Japanese? Also at a point you react with '...wait, what?' to a piece of completely Japanese text. It might be good to explain what was said or what's going on there cause the audience will have no idea. Like are you just reading a vague translation guide?

I'll double the screenshot size.
Crap, that's something important I should have mentioned: The translation of this patch only translates the interface and menus, nothing else, so things are going to look like that.
Yeah, I suppose I should have elaborated on what's going on with that one line. Fixed that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well this makes things kind of awkward.

First up, you need to resize those screens - 2x (480x320) is fine. Second, your commentary is inconsistent with how it handles FE8. You start by saying it's okay to not know anything about it:

test post posted:

If you aren't familiar with the story of Sacred Stones, here's a quick rundown. A powerful demon once ruled over the continent of Magvel, and five heroes defeated and sealed away the demon using the titular Sacred Stones and went on to build countries using the Stones to protect them.

But then you go on to make a ridiculous number of references to vanilla FE8. Saying they replaced a paladin with a dancer, asking when Valter became a falcoknight, expressing shock when he shows up in the prologue battle, etc. You can't have it both ways - either take the approach where you assume the reader has not played FE8, or put a note in the OP that it is assumed you are familiar with vanilla FE8.

That said, the hack certainly looks interesting, and I'd certainly follow the LP provided you tune things up a bit.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks. I'll add a note saying that familiarity with FE8's story will be assumed.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Let's Conquer Acrophobia Together with the Jumping Flash! Series.

Jumping... Flash?
Yeah. When most people think of the earliest 3D platformer, a good number of people would probably think of Super Mario 64. However, the art of jumping on floating platforms in the 3rd dimension have been dabbled with before Super Mario 64 even got released with games like Alpha Waves and Geograph Seal. The latter just so happens to be the real predecessor to an early Playstation game called Jumping Flash! While Geograph Seal had some platforming elements, it was more focused on blasting down ships. However, the people in Exact Co. Ltd. decided to go for a more platforming approach, and that's when Jumping Flash! was born!

So, did that game go anywhere?
Well, it did spawn a sequel as well as a couple of other games which are Pocket MuuMuu and Jumping Flash! 3: Robbit Mon Dieu that came after (both are Japan only, unfortunately). While Jumping Flash! 1 and 2 were made by Exact and Ultra Co. Ltd., the other games were handled by a SCEA division called Sugar and Rockets. Pocket MuuMuu is a spinoff where you able to build an amusement park by playing a bunch of Pocketstation minigames. Jumping Flash! 3 takes a different step from the series where instead you are collecting items to complete a 3-stage, 6-world game, you are an errand robot in a planet where you do a bunch of tasks for the village people in which takes advantage of the gameplay the 2 previous games had to offer.

Are you gonna LP them all?
Only the first two games. Robbit Mon Dieu, from what it appears, requires you to know a lot of Japanese, and Pocket MuuMuu needs a Pocketstation (which I do not possess).
------------------------

Test Post

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 17, 2012

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Thwack! posted:

Let's Conquer Acrophobia Together with the Jumping Flash! Series.

In my opinion having the subtitles stay up for just a slightly longer time would be nice.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpULaLVqSQ

Just a test video to gauge a few technical things like:
- whether audio balance between the sound effects, music, and dialogue is good
- how does some of Mirror's Edge post-processing effects look on Youtube
- whether the FOV settings that I use look weird
- whether anyone feels remotely nauseous or queasy

Actually LP would probably involve more panning around and other changes but I gotta clear these technical things first.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Cloud Potato posted:

Here's a test post for a possible thread: Transformers vs. Dinosaurs - Let's Read Robot Commando! [CYOA] Any and all criticism gratefully received.

Consider removing or shortening the rules dump. It's not exactly hard reading, just unnecessary pause before the game even starts. The combat sections, for example, would be more meaningful if you showed an example of those combat. Speaking of which, can you show a bit more of the game? Choosing the robots/cities or giving names will be important in your actual LP, but why not use the test LP to show how you are going to cover the human or robot combats?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I smell burnt ottsel! Let's Play the Jak & Daxter HD Collection!

After US-based Playstation developer Naughty Dog finished up with their wildly successful PS1 platforming series Crash Bandicoot and the spin-off Crash Team Racing, they were introduced to the new, groundbreaking Playstation 2 hardware. The development team immediately set forward new goals that had never been done on this scale in 3D platforming before.

While there are arguably several things that made Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy unique, the largest one, which still holds up even today, is its seamlessness. The game not only had no load times, but unlike its successors, it didn't hide them in obvious ways. It had a constant day and night cycle, open areas that worked together entirely, and even with all of its often-wacky environmental variety and leveled structure, it made you feel (and still does) like you were in an envisioned, real world. And the excellent music, produced by Devo lead-man Mark Mothersbaugh's Hollywood studio Mutato Muzika, certainly helps with that as well. It creates a setting that has stuck with me beyond just boyish nostalgia and remains one of my favorite games of all time for it.

Then they hosed it up with the sequels.

But we'll get there when we get there. Arguably unlike the other two series of the PS2 platforming trio (Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper), this is one with the most emphasis on plot, but also the largest amount of collecting poo poo.

Videos!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

VivaVizer posted:

Actually LP would probably involve more panning around and other changes but I gotta clear these technical things first.

I'm happy with this. Audio balance seemed good; didn't notice anything wrong with your transcoding. Having played the original, it looked faithful.

Anybody else?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

VivaVizer posted:

I'd say it looks and sounds pretty good. Better than it looks on my 360 anyway. Only times the FOV looks a bit strange is when Faith is doing a slow climb, the angle of her arms looks a bit wonky. But that's only a minor issue (and it might be like that normally anyway).

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

toanoradian posted:

Consider removing or shortening the rules dump. It's not exactly hard reading, just unnecessary pause before the game even starts. The combat sections, for example, would be more meaningful if you showed an example of those combat. Speaking of which, can you show a bit more of the game? Choosing the robots/cities or giving names will be important in your actual LP, but why not use the test LP to show how you are going to cover the human or robot combats?

Many thanks for your comments, toanoradian. Here's a combat test. And now I realise I could post the rules dump on the SSLP test poster and just link to them in the thread.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

VivaVizer posted:

It did make me slightly nauseous. I'm not sure whether it's the actual gameplay or the fact that you had mouse acceleration on, which gives it kind of a shakycam feel.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

VivaVizer posted:

Ahh, this game is great to speedrun. If you make this thread, I might see if I can get in touch with a guy who runs it to make some videos on the side.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Okay, so take 2! Added a VN section update as well as gameplay, and expanded the gameplay update to include more stuff. It might be a bit too long as is, though, so I have the old version still for comparison and to use instead if the new one is too long or something.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999 for short) is a visual novel/adventure game for the Nintendo DS in late 2009 and 2010. It was developed by Chunsoft which might sound odd, as the other thing you potentially know them for is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Quite a mood whiplash there, huh?

999 is mostly a visual novel, so it has lots and lots (and lots) of words. Some of the talking bits can get incredibly long on their own, but there's also occasional breaks in that for some proper gameplay. Namely puzzle solving in a giant room, wherein you find things that help you try and leave it. If that sounds remotely familiar, you've probably played a flash game in the past 12 years or so. Unlike many of those "escape the room!" games, though, this one is actually fun to solve the puzzles for and there's plenty of incidental dialogue to find too. Some of it is boring and not worth looking at, but there's some gems in there that's rather easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

The game as a whole is not necessarily all that long, but it does have a pretty good degree of replayability in that it has 6 possible endings. Which ones you get are determined by a few clear choices you're presented with throughout the game. I won't necessarily be getting all 6, because that's kind of not even remotely necessary. That said, for the first run through, or two, I'll be leaving which one we get in the hands of everyone that isn't me.

Oh, and apparently there's a sequel for the 3DS and Playstation Vita. Naturally, talking about that is kind of going to be rife with spoilers so don't do that! (this also applies to all things spoiler related, even hinting at it or any "oh man this next part is crazy!" nonsense, okay thanks.)

Prologue
D Deck 3rd class cabin (old version)

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

VarrosAnon posted:

I smell burnt ottsel! Let's Play the Jak & Daxter HD Collection!

I think this is fine, you have some good commentary going on, and make a good point of being okay at the game. I like it.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Just in case anyone was looking for it after the test post the SIREN thread is now live:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523354

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
@slowbeef
Thanks. I'm glad that it looks faithful and sounds good.

@Geemer
The arms do look a little funny but I'm wondering if that's just because I'm playing a FOV that wasn't tested.

@Bloodmobile
Faith has a slight headbob going when she runs which is why it looks like it is shaking. I don't have mouse acceleration on. I do occasionally move too far and have to move my mouse back but that's because I'm bad.

Not sure what else can be down about the headbob is that is what is causing you to feel nauseous.

@Luquos
I don't mind. I don't plan to speedrun it.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

FillInTheBlank posted:

In my opinion having the subtitles stay up for just a slightly longer time would be nice.

Yeah, a few of these subtitles went by pretty quickly. Also, as a matter of fact, the video does seem a tad too small (I was playing at a 640x480 resolution, which doesn't look too good on Youtube.) I'll probably remake the video.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

VivaVizer posted:

@slowbeef
Thanks. I'm glad that it looks faithful and sounds good.

@Geemer
The arms do look a little funny but I'm wondering if that's just because I'm playing a FOV that wasn't tested.

@Bloodmobile
Faith has a slight headbob going when she runs which is why it looks like it is shaking. I don't have mouse acceleration on. I do occasionally move too far and have to move my mouse back but that's because I'm bad.

Not sure what else can be down about the headbob is that is what is causing you to feel nauseous.

@Luquos
I don't mind. I don't plan to speedrun it.

I have to ask, how would you do commentary on this? It seems like there's either someone's speaking or things are going by too fast to really talk about them.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Probably minimally. I do have 2-3 things that I wanted to comment on briefly in my test video. Need to work out how before I do my test post. I'm going to do two episodes for my test post. One being a quick tutorial and the prologue. Two will be a LP run of the test video level redone.

Really, I want to do ME to practice more with view control. Commentary will probably be pretty light.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

VivaVizer posted:

Probably minimally. I do have 2-3 things that I wanted to comment on briefly in my test video. Need to work out how before I do my test post. I'm going to do two episodes for my test post. One being a quick tutorial and the prologue. Two will be a LP run of the test video level redone.

Really, I want to do ME to practice more with view control. Commentary will probably be pretty light.

If voice commentary doesn't work out just remember you can always do subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cernunnos posted:

If voice commentary doesn't work out just remember you can always do subtitles.

Please don't actually do this. There will be way too much action and visual noise to make subtitles viable without some serious finesse.

• Locked thread