Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Hotwire posted:

It's everything I ever wanted. :allears:

Of course, I fully expect everything to go utterly wrong on Wednesday.

But Robot, it's your baby!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
This is going to be the best chapter :3:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Hotwire posted:

Of course, I fully expect everything to go utterly wrong on Wednesday.

Oh, I'm sure he won't be that quick about it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

E: ^^^ Yes, this. ^^^

It's achingly cute, but I don't trust it. Between the title page for this chapter, and the way things have been unfolding, I think Tom is setting us up for tragedy.

I get the feeling that Kat and Annie are being set up as opposing champions, Kat for the Court, and Annie for the Wood. Annie is part fire-elemental, and definitely being groomed by Coyote for something. Kat has become an honest-to-goodness machine angel (as confirmed by Zimmmy). The symbolism in every end-of-treatise illustration backs this up. So far, they have remained friends, but they have the unrequited love angle making things deeply awkward now. A chapter titled "changes", showing Annie and Kat opposite each other, feels deeply ominous to me.

Of course my "writer torturing his characters" sense may just be overly primed from re-watching Buffy/Angel recently. If so, blame Joss Whedon.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
There's definitely some significance to Shadow being from the forest and Robot being from the court since it looks like they're getting together. I predict: things progress further and are adorable and then there's a heavily symbolic breakup. Either their differences are too much to make it work (doubtful- the comic is set up with the goal of reuniting the court and forest) or external forces make it impossible for them to continue. Maybe something awful happens and makes one of them militantly hostile to the other side - possibly Shadow because that'd be super tragic.

Oh god with what Coyote's been doing... :(

At least that means I doubt one of them is dying?

JULIAN ASSANGE fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 17, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hXtGkzZ9k

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Shadorable.

But seriously, this is a great page. I hope everything turns out okay. :ohdear:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
That was the cutest thing ever! :3:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

they have the unrequited love angle making things deeply awkward now.

Quick! Someone tell ChibiSoma!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Penguissimo posted:

Quick! Someone tell ChibiSoma!

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Robot up with Shadow, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic trans-species romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Boxbot/Robot End, no reading. Shadow's the least interesting forest inhabitant being since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be a shadowphile!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be interested in people from Gillitie, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
Now I definitely need to get to work on writing a guide because otherwise the urge to strange that cowardly little prick won't go away.
Yeah, can't do it. Hey @gunnerkrigg - good job sinking ships and ruining the comic, you weak god drat writer.
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be robosexual, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg No, really, it's nice of you to have a 'please stop reading now' arc. Real considerate of you.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a robosexual character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think the Bible approves of this kind of relationship. Marriage is between a human and a human, not a robot and a shadow-man!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Good grief, if they hate the comic that much why read it?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ursine Asylum posted:

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Robot up with Shadow, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic trans-species romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Boxbot/Robot End, no reading. Shadow's the least interesting forest inhabitant being since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be a shadowphile!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be interested in people from Gillitie, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
Now I definitely need to get to work on writing a guide because otherwise the urge to strange that cowardly little prick won't go away.
Yeah, can't do it. Hey @gunnerkrigg - good job sinking ships and ruining the comic, you weak god drat writer.
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be robosexual, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg No, really, it's nice of you to have a 'please stop reading now' arc. Real considerate of you.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a robosexual character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there.
Is this real or did you just make it up based on the last weird rant ChibiSoma did? :stare:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

Is this real or did you just make it up based on the last weird rant ChibiSoma did? :stare:

:negative:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Parts Kit posted:

It's based on the tweets that ChibiSoma sent Tom way back when

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Parts Kit posted:

It's just a cut/paste of his previous rant with some words swapped.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=394974181

Tea-san posted:

"ChibiSoma posted:

Oh good, generic teen romance spotted. Interest shooting through the floor.

Jack is the least interesting male in anything since Sailor Moon."

Hey man, you missed a few words out of your post. Here, I'll post the comments you Tweeted at me:
"Chibisoma posted:

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Annie up with Jack, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic straight romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Kat/Annie End, no reading. Jack's the least interesting male since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be straight!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be straight, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be bi/gay, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a bi/gay character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there, Tom.
Hey kids: If you're gay, you should be off where you can't be seen. You must be straight. Remember the lessons that @gunnerkrigg taught us.
loving makes me sick. Great, one more generic straight romance with a bland male lead. Good job @gunnerkrigg you loving coward.
Need to go watch @GeorgeTakei say/do things to calm down. Stupid anti-gay bullshit ruining my morning. Off to Youtube I go..."

And here's part of the stuff you said on my forum:

"Chibisoma posted:

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Jack and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling a Kat/Annie end?

Great, one more boring-rear end straight romance. Tons of potential lost and for what? Because Tom didn't feel like taking any chances. That's for the two designated 'weird' kids in the comic, huh? Can't have the main characters interested in each other, despite all the little hints (and sometimes not so little ones) dropped all over the place. Must make them straight, boring, and ensure they wind up with the worst characters in the comic.

Yeah, tell me what there is to look forward to with this couple, hoss. You seem to be all for it. Jack's the most boring lead in any romance since Chiba Mamoru from Sailormoon. : There's not a single interesting (or redeeming) thing about him and yet it's looking increasingly like Annie's going to end up with him.

Because straight people, that's why. God forbid GCC take a chance with anything. Nope, must conform to the status quo and leave that gay poo poo to the weirdo characters, right?

Yeah, no. gently caress you and gently caress Tom. I guess it's nice he made a 'please stop reading my webcomic, it's becoming like any other teen romance strip' arc though. Real considerate-like. Always good to see straightforward, boring fuckin' romance blooming. And at the end, they'll have a kid, Annie'll die, and Kat'll be there to talk about the kid's adventures in the school or some other stereotypically generic thing. Because the kids must be like the parents, always and forever. "

Thanks for your interest!

Chibisoma is a loving crazy person

e: oops, sorry about those tables

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 17, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

why are people so bad at understanding jokes.
I mean really. Does that quote look serious.
You'd at least expect someone to google parts of the quote and figure it out themself instead of blundering in and making a fool of themselves.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I mean really. Does that quote look serious.

To be perfectly fair, Chibisoma did make that comment (or series of comments) unironically, the first time around. But to know about Chibisoma, know the gist of his rant enough to see the comparison, and still have to ask if it's serious, I just...what?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm just gonna keep my head buried in the sand when it comes to weird fans of this comic. No one's gonna ruin Gunnerkrigg for me. :argh:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ursine Asylum posted:

To be perfectly fair, Chibisoma did make that comment (or series of comments) unironically, the first time around. But to know about Chibisoma, know the gist of his rant enough to see the comparison, and still have to ask if it's serious, I just...what?
I've tried to block the memory of exactly what the rant was aside from general shipping crap, and I only remember the name because Penguissimo posted it. :shobon:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Did Chibisoma ever find out that Annie/Jack was a giant fakeout?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Freudian posted:

Did Chibisoma ever find out that Annie/Jack was a giant fakeout?

Probably, that was his last post in this thread, thank god.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Wait is Tea-San Tom? I've been reading Gunnerkrigg for about a year, but I just found this thread.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

That guy is denser than Jones. :downsrim:

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
Count me in as another person who found this comic because of the avatars, and I'm SO glad I did. I never read webcomics, but I read this straight through in about 3 days. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are marked on my calendar now. The art kind of put me off at first, but I'm glad I kept reading.

Annie is a bit of a Mary Sue, I'll admit, but it's getting a lot better now, although the fact that Parley was training for years to be the medium, and now Annie comes in out of nowhere and is perfectly suited to the job in ways that Parley can never be kind of bugs.

So Annie/Kat is pretty much a thing now, right? All through the entire comic I'd been wondering if that's what he'd been leading to, and I'm definitely glad if he is, they would make such a good couple. It does seem like it came on really fast, though, just within the last chapter. And wasn't Kat in love with Eglamore at one point? Or that guy who turned into a bird?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Wait is Tea-San Tom? I've been reading Gunnerkrigg for about a year, but I just found this thread.

Tea-San on the SA forums is indeed the lovely Tom Siddell.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

So Annie/Kat is pretty much a thing now, right?

Not... really? Annie doesn't appear to swing that way, and Kat's whole deal was that she was scared people were seeing her as a lesbian, not that she actually is one. So far, the two of them have just been very close friends.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

So Annie/Kat is pretty much a thing now, right? All through the entire comic I'd been wondering if that's what he'd been leading to, and I'm definitely glad if he is, they would make such a good couple. It does seem like it came on really fast, though, just within the last chapter. And wasn't Kat in love with Eglamore at one point? Or that guy who turned into a bird?

Uh, no. No and no.

Kat had a crush on Eglamore but she is like 14 and he is a grown adult man so no that is not going anywhere.
Kat also had a week long thing with bird-boy but they were like 12 and that is not love.
Maaaaaybe there could be a Kat/Annie "romance" but basically all we know is that they care deeply for each other and Kat's concerned about (how she presents) he sexuality. That's not really a 'couple' type deal. Also that plot-line started like five chapters ago and has been briefly mentioned like twice so no not very fast at all.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 17, 2012

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
Err, right. I wrote that really stupidly, sorry. What I meant was that she was in crush-love with Eglamore, not that she was actually in love-love with him, since indeed, that would be gross.

And like I said, I read the whole thing in three nights, so maybe it felt like things were moving faster than they actually were.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Oh, wait you meant it in like the 'attracted to dudes' way, not the 'in a relationship' way, right? That would make more sense.

And to be fair we've (or the people who've been reading a while at least) only been getting three pages a week so it's been like a year for us, so we probably see things as happening way slower than it would in regular reading. So maybe you're not too off base?

edit: oh right, forgot to mention that I literally just got my order of vol 2. and court shirt which is like way faster than I thought. Wasn't expecting it till January or something!

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 18, 2012

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
What an adorable page to come back to after a day full of horridly boring, not-so-adorable classes. :3:

stimulated emission fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 18, 2012

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Chiba City Blues posted:

What an adorable page to come back to after a day full of horridly boring classes. :3:

You don't need your mind to learn dis junk!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My reaction: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :3:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Thanks to you, Tom, my teeth rotted out of my head. All that money I was going to spend on GC merchandise is now going toward my dentist's bill! :argh:

Seriously, this is the cutest thing I've seen today, and I was linked several puppy videos.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

Annie is a bit of a Mary Sue, I'll admit, but it's getting a lot better now, although the fact that Parley was training for years to be the medium, and now Annie comes in out of nowhere and is perfectly suited to the job in ways that Parley can never be kind of bugs.

I dunno. Parley seems far more suited to... whatever the hell Eglamore's job is. The warrior protector.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I dunno. Parley seems far more suited to... whatever the hell Eglamore's job is. The warrior protector.

Dragon Slayer :black101:

Chiefly involves standing around with a lot of swords.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

GodFish posted:

And being hated by every Court denizen with a CPU for a brain.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So do shadow-people have genders? Do robots? If neither have a gender, does that count as a same-gender relationship?

Also :3: dawwww.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Tom has said that Shadow is male and that Robot identifies as male. So, yes, this is a same-sex relationship for appropriate values of "sex" and "relationship".

It's also just so damned cute. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

GodFish posted:

I think you mean Games Teacher. :colbert: