Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Selane posted:

Apparently Xiahou Dun uses the same hair stylist as Dragonball Z Chrono Trigger characters.

Much better this way, don't you think? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hey maybe Bao Sanniang has a halfway decent outfit this t...never mind.

I've decided I don't care much for Guo Jia's English voice. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but the dude sounds like he's got a bad cold or just got back from the dentist or something.

By the way, I've noticed that Speed and Power determine how good you are at wielding certain types of weapons, and that if they're both maxed out you can use any weapon (aside from the two gender specific ones) perfectly. So do Speed and Power not have any effect on walking speed or attack power then?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Hey guys, I sat down and wrote out all the changes (focused on weapons) for the characters from 7 to 8. I'll probably expand this to a full OP post for the top but here's what I have so far.

quote:

New Characters:

Wei:
Pang De (XL): Mace (he had Twin Halberds in XL but if you’re coming straight to 8 he’ll be a new character with the Mace)
Wang Yi (XL): Trishulas
Guo Jia (XL): Orb and Scepter
Yue Jin: Hookswords
Li Dian: Rotating Halberd

Wu:
Lu Su: Rake

Shu:
Xu Shu (E): Sword and Dagger
Zhang Bao: Snake Sword
Guan Xing: Wing Blades
Guan Yinping: Double-ended Mace

Jin:
Nobody!

Other:
Same here! (There hasn’t been a new other character since DW3: XL (Strikeforce 2 doesn’t count))

DW7/XL/N/E Reassignments:
Xiahou Dun: Sword -> Podao
Xu Huang: Pike -> Giant Axe
Cao Ren: Flail -> Spiked Shield

Gan Ning: Sickle and Chain -> Flail
Huang Gai: Club -> Arm Blade
Da Qiao: Iron Fan -> Pugil Sticks
Ding Feng: Gloves -> Circle Blade

Zhao Yun: Spear -> Dragon Spear
Guan Yu: Pike -> Crescent Blade
Zhang Fei: Double Voluge -> Twin Pike
Yueying: Staff -> Dagger Axe

Sima Shi: Rapier -> Lightning Sword
Xiahou Ba: Giant Sword -> Siege Spear

Dong Zhou: Flail -> Bombs
Zhu Rong: Throwing Daggers -> Boomerang

Old characters with new weapons:
Dian Wei: Not a weapon change but the Axe is now right handed instead of left handed.
Cao Cao: Sword -> General’s Sword
Xiahou Yuan: Bow -> Whip Bow
Cao Pi: Dual Swords -> Double Bladed Sword
Lu Xun: Dual Swords -> Swallow Swords
Sun Jian: Sword -> 9-ringed Sword
Ling Tong: Nunchucks -> Three part staff

Old Characters that still have cloned weapons:
Sun Quan/Sima Zhao: Sword
Zhuge Liang/Sima Yi/Zhuge Dan: Feather Fan
Ma Chao/Jiang Wei: Spear
Pang Tong/Zhang Jiao: Pilgrim’s Staff
Liu Shan/Yuan Shao: Rapier

Belzac fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 12, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

Belzac posted:

Hey guys, I sat down and wrote out all the changes (focused on weapons) for the characters from 7 to 8. I'll probably expand this to a full OP post for the top but here's what I have so far.

Sun Quan: Will Never Be A Real Character

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Selane posted:

Sun Quan: Will Never Be A Real Character

You shut your mouth. :mad:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, I always thought Gan Ning would fit the arm blade better, considering he's a pirate and the arm blade is a boat.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, I always thought Gan Ning would fit the arm blade better, considering he's a pirate and the arm blade is a boat.

More on that, Huang Gai should always be wielding a big assed anchor as a weapon. Not sure I'm on board with that change.

It's probably karminc balance though for a majority of good things in that list. Some of those reassignments appear to just be bringing back some familiar weaponry to their original characters- Cao Ping's doublesword (listed as new but iirc his first appearance was with a doublesword), Guan Yu's crescent blade (as it loving should be), Yueying's dagger axe, to name a few examples. Ling Tong getting a new wonky kung fu weapon is a pretty good choice I feel also.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've decided I don't care much for Guo Jia's English voice. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but the dude sounds like he's got a bad cold or just got back from the dentist or something.
That's Fridge Brilliance if true, considering that he passed away soon before Chibi from what was apparently tuberculosis.

The GIG posted:

You shut your mouth. :mad:
Hey, 7 was the first time he got to wear the big boy boots and really lead his kingdom out from Sun Jian's shadow! :haw:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I gotta say, I'm not loving the visual redesigns for 8 so far. I mean some of them are fine, but others, like Xiahou Dun and Zhang Jiao look pretty bad.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Scyther posted:

I gotta say, I'm not loving the visual redesigns for 8 so far. I mean some of them are fine, but others, like Xiahou Dun and Zhang Jiao look pretty bad.

Yeah, I kind of wish they would be a bit bolder. These are the incremental changes I would expect from like 7->7:XL, not 7->8.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, I kind of wish they would be a bit bolder. These are the incremental changes I would expect from like 7->7:XL, not 7->8.

I think the problem is that 7 spoiled us. For 2->3 everyone used the exact same model. From 3->4->5 characters got new models but the changes were usually pretty minor. Then 6 came and gave a huge redesign to everyone but that game sucked and many of the redesigns were awful so for 6->7 they did another large redesign. Now that they have a game people like again they're going back to the smaller iterations to push games out faster.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 13, 2012

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Does anyone know anything about the multiplayer component in Ken's Rage 2? I've heard it involves up to 8 players but that's about it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm sure there will be plenty of classic costume pack DLC for those who prefer older models.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Policenaut posted:

Samurai Warriors 3 Empires is the absolute closest we've ever gotten to RoTK and the Warriors franchises merging together.

OK, this is from pages ago, but I've been wondering given your regular references to this game: is it good? Amazon.co.jp reviews seem pretty harsh on it, but then again it seems to me Amazon reviews are generally harsh in Japan, so who knows.

Imports of this seem much cheaper nowadays, so if it's worth $40 and it's a good attempt at an RoTK/Warriors hybrid then I might check it out.

On the topic of RoTK, too -- is there any consensus on RoTK 12? Is it any good? I haven't heard poo poo about it coming to the West, so I'm guessing that it's going to be an import-only job at this point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

thorsilver posted:

OK, this is from pages ago, but I've been wondering given your regular references to this game: is it good? Amazon.co.jp reviews seem pretty harsh on it, but then again it seems to me Amazon reviews are generally harsh in Japan, so who knows.

Imports of this seem much cheaper nowadays, so if it's worth $40 and it's a good attempt at an RoTK/Warriors hybrid then I might check it out.

I thought it was a really interesting take on the Empires concept, which baffles me in how Koei seems to be dismissing it for DW7:E. Would I call it a good game? Yeah, I'd say I had fun with it. I had this humongous effort post in the old Dynasty Warriors thread about the system mechanics behind it, but if you've ever wanted the classic RoTK 7/8/10 style city development in an Empires game then it'll do nicely.

The big problem is that it's not all that fleshed out compared to SW3's base game or that advanced in comparison to SW2:E. Castle Town is an amazing idea that feels really rewarding to develop and manage over the years, but there's an abysmal level of strategy and political maneuvering to access. If you've played SW3 already, then you've seen all the stages, characters, and heard all the music. On top of that, the game pretty much demands that you play through the History mode before tackling the Free mode, as you unlock a huge amount of powerful structures by completing characters and befriending certain officers that you'll certainly need to prevent entering no win situations. The game has a bonafide equipment carry over system though, where weapons, armor, and accessories found and crafted can be taken into other games, but you still have the standard "start every battle at Level 1 and get EXP" thing.

You definitely can't go wrong for $40 if you like Warriors games and Empires. I paid something around the range of $65 for my copy and came away rather pleased with the whole thing. It's not as advanced as you might like an Empires game to be, but it comes pretty drat close.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Policenaut posted:

I thought it was a really interesting take on the Empires concept, which baffles me in how Koei seems to be dismissing it for DW7:E. Would I call it a good game? Yeah, I'd say I had fun with it. I had this humongous effort post in the old Dynasty Warriors thread about the system mechanics behind it, but if you've ever wanted the classic RoTK 7/8/10 style city development in an Empires game then it'll do nicely.

The big problem is that it's not all that fleshed out compared to SW3's base game or that advanced in comparison to SW2:E. Castle Town is an amazing idea that feels really rewarding to develop and manage over the years, but there's an abysmal level of strategy and political maneuvering to access. If you've played SW3 already, then you've seen all the stages, characters, and heard all the music. On top of that, the game pretty much demands that you play through the History mode before tackling the Free mode, as you unlock a huge amount of powerful structures by completing characters and befriending certain officers that you'll certainly need to prevent entering no win situations. The game has a bonafide equipment carry over system though, where weapons, armor, and accessories found and crafted can be taken into other games, but you still have the standard "start every battle at Level 1 and get EXP" thing.

You definitely can't go wrong for $40 if you like Warriors games and Empires. I paid something around the range of $65 for my copy and came away rather pleased with the whole thing. It's not as advanced as you might like an Empires game to be, but it comes pretty drat close.

Thanks for the write-up! Given what you've said, it sounds worth my $40 at least. I'm definitely someone who wants RoTK-style city development in an Empires game.

From what you describe, this sounds actually more appealing to me than the current direction of the Nobunaga/RoTK games. Those both seem to be going down the road of simpler battles and less features on the strategic map, presumably to appeal to a broader crowd (or at least so I've heard, having not actually sat down with NA13 or RoTK12 yet myself).

Seems to me the best of both worlds would be a deeper Empires game, where the strategic map is full of cool options and city-building stuff, politics, etc., then simply resolve battles in Dynasty Warriors style instead of sub-par RTS style.

I guess DW7:E is moving away from this, though? Was the demo pretty disappointing in that respect, or is there still hope?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GKC7WHSY0g

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 teaser trailer

thorsilver posted:

Thanks for the write-up! Given what you've said, it sounds worth my $40 at least. I'm definitely someone who wants RoTK-style city development in an Empires game.

From what you describe, this sounds actually more appealing to me than the current direction of the Nobunaga/RoTK games. Those both seem to be going down the road of simpler battles and less features on the strategic map, presumably to appeal to a broader crowd (or at least so I've heard, having not actually sat down with NA13 or RoTK12 yet myself).

Seems to me the best of both worlds would be a deeper Empires game, where the strategic map is full of cool options and city-building stuff, politics, etc., then simply resolve battles in Dynasty Warriors style instead of sub-par RTS style.

I guess DW7:E is moving away from this, though? Was the demo pretty disappointing in that respect, or is there still hope?

Yeah, I don't believe DW7:E has Castle Town which I find incredibly disappointing. The demo itself wasn't that bad, to be honest, but it only let you muddle around with the CAW system and a single battle. The game's out now in Japan if you'd like to read some Amazon.jp reviews or something, but I haven't played the full version myself. I'm planning to buy it at some point along with Hokuto Musou 2 when they drop on the PSN in the West.

I should probably elaborate just a little bit more on Castle Town though, because more than a few people ask me what the deal is with it. It's sort of a bizarre cross between Sim City and Dark Cloud. You have a map with a certain number of open lots, and every season you receive a certain increased amount of food, people, and money depending on how your city is structured. Buildings created can have basic effects, like shops increase money and rice paddies increase food, but then you have cooler buildings that double gold production or increase soldier strength. You have to manage soldier and civilian population as well as city order, just like in RoTK as well. The real depth to Castle Town comes from building upgrades, which work in a strange manner involving proximity to related buildings.

Most buildings can be upgraded from level 1 to level 4, performed by surrounding one building from all 4 sides by buildings of a higher level. So say you have a 3x3 set of shops, the one in the middle may transform into a level 2 shop as the season changes. You swap that out for one of the level 1s, and it may turn into a level 2 also. Surround a level 2 with other level 2s and it may turn into a 3, and so on. A huge emphasis is placed on positioning, especially when it comes time to evolve buildings. If you place 4 level 3s in a square 2x2 formation, they transform into a singular all-powerful level 4 building. BUT! You could also place those level 3 shops next to a certain level 3 building of another type (I forget which one) and it'll transform into a level 1 market, which has even greater benefits. And the previously mentioned leveling and transformation rules still apply to this new evolved building, so you can create super money making buildings!

It's a lot more "active" than RoTK's time invested = numerical improvement system, but it's also limited in the sense that each Castle Town is restricted in the amount of space you have. You aren't able to use the entire town when you start, only by increasing your number of prefectures controlled will it expand. More prefectures levels up your Castle, which in turn broadens the borders of your Town. It sounds very complicated and it'll probably take awhile to get accustomed to it, but I found it really rewarding.

You may want to do a little research before hand, check out some gameplay clips and the like then make your decision. Koei Warriors has a wonderful translation guide and the SW3Z guide on GameFAQs applies perfectly to SW3E.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GKC7WHSY0g

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 teaser trailer

Oh god they did the Enel reaction shot yessss. Can't wait to play as the biggest lightning-flavoured jackass.

Leaping Mutton
Feb 27, 2010

What could go wrong?
Did I see playable Enel? I think I saw Playable Enel.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Leaping Mutton posted:

Did I see playable Enel? I think I saw Playable Enel.

Definitely saw that. Can't wait to play as some bad guys. I hope we get to play as some Baroque Works or CP9 dudes. It would be awesome playing as Kaku, mowing down dudes as a sword wielding giraffe.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

Definitely saw that. Can't wait to play as some bad guys. I hope we get to play as some Baroque Works or CP9 dudes. It would be awesome playing as Kaku, mowing down dudes as a sword wielding giraffe.

He's probably too minor in the overall scheme of things to add this early on, but we might get Lucci and other arc-ending bosses.

Personally I want to play as good ol' Crocodile, so here's hoping.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

thorsilver posted:

On the topic of RoTK, too -- is there any consensus on RoTK 12? Is it any good? I haven't heard poo poo about it coming to the West, so I'm guessing that it's going to be an import-only job at this point.

Just to answer my own question -- reviews I've seen from Japan make it apparent that this game is a huge disappointment. No naval combat, barely any unit variety, missing features across the board; basically it sounds like a huge downgrade from XI in every area except visuals, and even there they cheaped out (duels are just movies instead of the 3D graphics of XI).

The console version added 200 more generals but it seems like it wasn't nearly enough. Maybe the Power-Up Kit will fix things more, but I doubt it given how much appears to be missing.

Tecmo-Koei also has said they've no plans to bring it to the West.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I don't believe DW7:E has Castle Town which I find incredibly disappointing. The demo itself wasn't that bad, to be honest, but it only let you muddle around with the CAW system and a single battle. The game's out now in Japan if you'd like to read some Amazon.jp reviews or something, but I haven't played the full version myself. I'm planning to buy it at some point along with Hokuto Musou 2 when they drop on the PSN in the West.

I should probably elaborate just a little bit more on Castle Town though, because more than a few people ask me what the deal is with it. It's sort of a bizarre cross between Sim City and Dark Cloud. You have a map with a certain number of open lots, and every season you receive a certain increased amount of food, people, and money depending on how your city is structured. Buildings created can have basic effects, like shops increase money and rice paddies increase food, but then you have cooler buildings that double gold production or increase soldier strength. You have to manage soldier and civilian population as well as city order, just like in RoTK as well. The real depth to Castle Town comes from building upgrades, which work in a strange manner involving proximity to related buildings.

Most buildings can be upgraded from level 1 to level 4, performed by surrounding one building from all 4 sides by buildings of a higher level. So say you have a 3x3 set of shops, the one in the middle may transform into a level 2 shop as the season changes. You swap that out for one of the level 1s, and it may turn into a level 2 also. Surround a level 2 with other level 2s and it may turn into a 3, and so on. A huge emphasis is placed on positioning, especially when it comes time to evolve buildings. If you place 4 level 3s in a square 2x2 formation, they transform into a singular all-powerful level 4 building. BUT! You could also place those level 3 shops next to a certain level 3 building of another type (I forget which one) and it'll transform into a level 1 market, which has even greater benefits. And the previously mentioned leveling and transformation rules still apply to this new evolved building, so you can create super money making buildings!

It's a lot more "active" than RoTK's time invested = numerical improvement system, but it's also limited in the sense that each Castle Town is restricted in the amount of space you have. You aren't able to use the entire town when you start, only by increasing your number of prefectures controlled will it expand. More prefectures levels up your Castle, which in turn broadens the borders of your Town. It sounds very complicated and it'll probably take awhile to get accustomed to it, but I found it really rewarding.

You may want to do a little research before hand, check out some gameplay clips and the like then make your decision. Koei Warriors has a wonderful translation guide and the SW3Z guide on GameFAQs applies perfectly to SW3E.

Thanks for the details! I'm intrigued by some of these mechanics; I like the concept of the layout of your castle town having such an impact on productivity and building development. Certainly it sounds like a massive step above previous Empires titles as far as complexity goes, and I'm all in favour of that. As you say I'll have a look at gameplay vids and go from there.

In the meantime I'm catching up on Musou more generally, and just got DW7, WO3 and DWG3, so I've got plenty to do until I decide :v:

You mentioned before that it may be a bit repetitive if I've already played 3Z. I haven't done so, but I may buy 3Z Special for PSP (I'm a sucker for DW games on the go and Orochi on PSP was loving awesome). Do you think that 3Z really suffers in replayability now that Empires is out there, or are they just for different tastes? My impression was that the Empires titles tend to have much simpler battles than the DW/SW normal titles, so maybe each serves a slightly different niche?

From what you say it's a shame that DW7:E took away the Castle Town bits. I read some Amazon.jp reviews and they were generally pretty positive though. People seem especially pleased with the edit mode, and the freedom the game gives you to use your created warriors. Sounds like it's worth a punt, all things considered. Also +10 points for Nobunyaga being in it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

thorsilver posted:

Also +10 points for Nobunyaga being in it.

FWIW he's in 7 Empires too. :toot:

edit: Oh that's literally what you posted. So...hey check out this picture of that thing.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 14, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

tooooooo bad posted:

FWIW he's in 7 Empires too. :toot:

edit: Oh that's literally what you posted. So...hey check out this picture of that thing.

Imagine if they included Nobunyaga in a Warriors Orochi game. :allears:

Edit: Speaking of Orochi, did the Wii U version fix problem with the game being unable to show all the soldiers that are supposed to be on screen? (I'm referring to where you're clearing out soldiers in an area and they start to literally materialize in front of you, including officers.)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 14, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Imagine if they included Nobunyaga in a Warriors Orochi game. :allears:

I still wish we could have seen characters from the Anime Warriors games in there just because. Just have the coalition trying to fight a Gundam or something. Or just Lu Bu.

I just want Lu Bu in every Warriors game. Have him in Gundam has himself just shearing off Gundams by their ankles with his halberd.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Lu Bu meeting Domon and Master Asia. :allears:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SirPhoebos posted:

Edit: Speaking of Orochi, did the Wii U version fix problem with the game being unable to show all the soldiers that are supposed to be on screen? (I'm referring to where you're clearing out soldiers in an area and they start to literally materialize in front of you, including officers.)

Nope. The Wii U being GPU heavy/CPU light is not great for games that rely on having Hell Of Dudes on screen at once, so according to reviews the soldier pop in and frame rate chugging are actually worse :toot:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-warriors-orochi-3-hyper-239067.phtml

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Crowbear posted:

Nope. The Wii U being GPU heavy/CPU light is not great for games that rely on having Hell Of Dudes on screen at once, so according to reviews the soldier pop in and frame rate chugging are actually worse :toot:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-warriors-orochi-3-hyper-239067.phtml

I've seen Hyper being played on a stream and I can attest to the frame rate being a huge problem. The graphics are marginally better but the best feature is that it loads lightning fast. I don't know how the WiiU with it's weird slow processor can load faster than my PS3 with a digital copy.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The GIG posted:

I just want Lu Bu in every Warriors game. Have him in Gundam has himself just shearing off Gundams by their ankles with his halberd.
There is an entire line of SD Gundam kits that are basically "dude from ROTK, but a mobile suit". Not really that related, but pretty neat.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

thorsilver posted:

Just to answer my own question -- reviews I've seen from Japan make it apparent that this game is a huge disappointment. No naval combat, barely any unit variety, missing features across the board; basically it sounds like a huge downgrade from XI in every area except visuals, and even there they cheaped out (duels are just movies instead of the 3D graphics of XI).

The console version added 200 more generals but it seems like it wasn't nearly enough. Maybe the Power-Up Kit will fix things more, but I doubt it given how much appears to be missing.

Tecmo-Koei also has said they've no plans to bring it to the West.

:( Basically crying over here.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reuters posted:

At that time, he said Lanza was a big fan of Japanese culture, collecting Pokemon cards and playing the PlayStation video game Dynasty Warriors, a weapons-based animated fighting game released in the late 1990s.
Oh no
Congress gonna ban our musou, RIP.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Naw, adults (= voters) play video games now, so talking about banning them doesn't make any sense anymore.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ambivalent posted:

Oh no

Well that's unfortunate. I guess we're all ticking time bombs.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ambivalent posted:

Oh no

Pokemon and historical hack 'n slash games? We're doomed!

Edit: Is there a translated version of Romance of Three Kingdoms (as in the books) that is generally considered as the best? Looking at getting it for someone for Christmas.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2012

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I'm under the impression that the Moss-Roberts translation is the best one. I definitely can't recommend the two-volume paperback C.H. Brewitt-Taylor version - the books are riddled with editing errors that can kind of bog down the read.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chachi posted:

I'm under the impression that the Moss-Roberts translation is the best one. I definitely can't recommend the two-volume paperback C.H. Brewitt-Taylor version - the books are riddled with editing errors that can kind of bog down the read.

Moss-Roberts is the way to go for sure. If you don't want to buy things though you can check out http://threekingdoms.com/. They have the Brewitt-Taylor text but with several edits to make it have less errors and also to use the Pinyin names we're familiar with.

Also I think this is a new version of an old trailer with English subtitle for Ken's Rage 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kOWMOkqbc

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jibo posted:

Pokemon and historical hack 'n slash games? We're doomed!
Excuse me while I lol at the article missing every Warriors game since DW2. Also, this Daily Kos comment* (first after the obligatory Tip Jar) on DW6 screencaps:

quote:

OMG, it looks like a Final Fantasy game (0+ / 0-)
ie, one with abstracted and fantastical turn-based combat. Hardly a "murder simulator". Hell, the XCOM game I've been playing for weeks is more violent, and I assure you I'm an extremely poor risk to murder anyone.
Mind you, what they were reacting to, from the Daily Express (UK):

quote:

Chillingly, his favourite video game was said to be a shockingly violent fantasy war game called Dynasty Warriors which is thought to have given him inspiration to act on his darkest thoughts
* Though the Daily Kos diarist in calling the series "100% bloodless" clearly missed DW7 (thanks Sima Shi).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm pretty sure "Video games made him do it" just makes people roll their eyes more than anything else.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

I'm pretty sure "Video games made him do it" just makes people roll their eyes more than anything else.

I always wonder why it has to be video games. I mean has anyone looked at the TV shows he watched? "The killer listed liking Lost for the first six seasons. Clearly his utter dissatisfaction with the seventh season led to his murder spree. We should ban any and all TV shows with any element of mystery."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
They can blame Dynasty Warriors when someone goes on a mass killing with a sword, spear, feather fan, paint brush, or machine guns manufactured in 200 AD.

For now, they should blame the proper series. Look at what you have wrought Magoichi and Masamune. :argh: