Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

SaNChEzZ posted:

We're thinking about clipping Ritz's wings, and would like some input.

Since he's been flighted, he's gotten kinda bad (behavior wise) he likes to fly over, act all nice, then bite then fly away. Also, the pooping on the chair thing, ughh. He's also become very reluctant to step up. When he's on his cage or somewhere that he knows he's going to get put back, he'll just pin and bob his head, then bite and refuse to step up unless he gets a click and a treat in the process. As soon as the clicker comes out, best bird. When the clicker isn't around, worst bird.

Do you guys think that clipping him will help with these behavioral issues? We don't want to because it's nice to just let him go to and from his cage, but when the inbetween consists of biting and refusing to step up, it's very tempting.

What do ya'll think?

He's still really bitey, not in fear or anger (he could just fly away), it just seems that he enjoys doing it. We've tried putting him on the floor, tried telling him no, tried putting him in the cage as soon as he bites, tried everything, and he still does it. I look like edward meth-user hands at this point with all my little cuts and scars :(

On the other hand, he goes to bed as soon as it's time, doesn't scream for the most part (only when we get home) but in the mornings and evenings he's super quiet. I guess it's better to have a biting sun conure than a screaming sun conure in some ways.. :unsmith:

Clipping his wings may help with his attitude problem. Either way, they will grow back out. Ozzy is kindof a dick about stepping up off the top of his cage so we just don't let him climb on the outside of it. v:shobon:v

In other news, I got some awesome presents in the mail for the birds today. Apparently some websites are bad at labeling sizes for birds but Ozzy seems to really love this one anyway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All attitude problems with both Marceline and Finn that we had one they began flying everywhere ended when we clipped their wings the first time.

I don't know how but they got the message and now that they each are flying again it's perfectly fine.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlKIa9MOOI

It's the type of trick training we all wish our birds could do! :haw: Seriously, how much fun are those birds having? Learning new things and showing them off all the time, that's awesome.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Are you fading the clicker and setting him to cues only over time? I only use the clicker when modifying or training new behaviors with Zippy. He might be too set on the clicker instead of paying attention to your cues. Also I now hide my clicker at all times because Zippy will try to play with it to figure out how the magical box produces treats. Adorable, but not the behavior I want.

Boxes. Not just for cats.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Jesus I feel like the worst bird owner. :(
She just won't stop whining and begging for attention that escalates into a scream. When she screams, I leave the room. Then I wait for her to stop screaming because I've left the room, and then I wait a few more minutes to make sure she's been being quiet. Then I come back in when she's being quiet and has been for several minutes.

I come in, praise her and give her a bit of attention, then sit down and try to work. She's fine for five minutes. Then she starts whining again and rinse repeat all loving day every 20 minutes. She refuses to play with her toys or do anything but beg me to take her out of the cage if she can see me. Occasionally she will eat, but that's it, then it's right back to begging me for attention.

I've made a big dent in her screaming when I leave the room now, though. She yells maybe three or four times, then quiets down.

This isn't helping the escalation process though and today I have absolutely got to get some work done, I can't be dealing with this again today because I am behind on my work now, so I took her cage and put it out in the hall. I gave her a couple toys to play with and explore, gave her a treat, and said WORKTIME a bunch, then 'byebye' and closed the door, leaving her in her cage in the hallway. I figure I'm going to have to move her in there during certain hours of the day, then move her back in at a certain time, and set a very concrete bedtime.

She comes from a store where there's walls of birds all around to watch, and in this hallway she's got the budgies some metres away to watch. She has toys and things to shred and lots of food and water in her cage. Every few hours I will come out into the hallway and play with her a little bit and have her on my hand and rub her head and whatnot. It isn't like she's being stuck on a shelf and ignored.

I still feel awful. She's in the hall right now making distressed whines and the occasional scream. I just need a few hours a day that are bird-free. :( Not even very long, just a few hours!

I'm sorry to keep flooding this thread with all my worries. I know things will calm down!
Here's a picture of me sharing a very special treat with her -- Berry juice!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

uglynoodles, I went through the same thing the first month or two that I brought Nugget home, and when we brought Ozzy home too. Iroh will settle in eventually and learn to take care of herself. I think it is a good idea for you to not be within sight if she is fixating on you that much while you are busy with other things. Being in a separate room might let her calm down enough to realize she has a bunch of cool things in her cage to play with.

I bet once she's more settled in she will be content to watch you work and entertain herself without having to be moved to the hallway.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, this is bog standard for the first few months, unfortunately.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Earplugs, man. The greatest invention for new bird owners.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Marci did this poo poo too when we first brought her home. Eventually Iroh will quiet down and not miss you so much. Stop being a mom though, it's not going to kill her if she's alone for a few hours! Let her scream, you don't have to go out and baby her, really!

It'll pass, just stick with it and you'll have a quiet bird :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:holymoley:

So my lovely girlfriend found an artist on Etsy that makes handcarved/painted pet sculptures/ornaments, so we commissioned her to make one of Ritz for us! She has a green cheek and an english budgie, so she knows birds :)

She was super thorough, asked for pictures of the position we wanted etc. So here's how the process works:

The pictures we sent her:

She provided us with status updates all the way through, including pictures of the work in progress:

(this one is woodburned for detail)

And the final product!

If you want something like this, PLEASE support her! It's supposed to arrive today, so I can post a full review of craftsmanship, but sheeeeeit, with the color that the pictures show, and all the work that went into sending us the in-progress pictures, I don't think that will be necessary.

Here's her shop(?)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/featheredart

Disclaimer: I do not know Karen, nor did I even know such thing existed before my girlfriend found it, I am not pimping somebody's shop, simply sharing the joy that we've received in knowing someone does such amazing work, and she should be recognized!

She even marked his beak with the same peely lines that Ritz has!

The best part... It was $25 shipped. She's WAY undercharging for her work, but that's awesome because hopefully she'll get more business from you guys!

Woo!

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 14, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Wow, that's beautiful. Definitely seriously undercharging. Do you know if she ships outside the US? I couldn't see anything on her etsy page and you need to have an account to send messages.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Wow, that's beautiful. Definitely seriously undercharging. Do you know if she ships outside the US? I couldn't see anything on her etsy page and you need to have an account to send messages.

I'm not sure, but I can have my girlfriend ask her :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna get one first! :ninja:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oh wow, that's really great. She does a wonderful job with all the textures--feathers, beak, feet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's beautiful but I'd be creeped out having a replica of my African Grey hanging around like that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

That's beautiful but I'd be creeped out having a replica of my African Grey hanging around like that.

Mine would either freak out about the weird wooden parrot or eat it in about 10 minutes, thinking it is a new chewy friend. That said, they are beautifully made and amazingly coloured.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Pookah posted:

eat it in about 10 minutes, thinking it is a new chewy friend.

Yeah, but that would make for the greatest mindfuck pictures ever.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to get a carving of Marceline for Marceline's christmas present just so I can scare Marceline what is wrong with me.

YOU BE GOOD OR YOU WILL SEE YOURSELF

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
Hey everyone, I wanted to let you guys know about a non-profit parrot rescue called Birdline (http://birdline.ca/). They do some great work and they've just made this announcement on their facebook page:

Birdline posted:

We have a very unique fundraiser underway from now up until the end of March.

As you know, being a non profit, we rely on our cash flow coming from different areas of fundraising. Our Avian first aid course, our yearly bottle drive, our guardianship fees, parrots for pennies and a few others we are coming up with for the new year. Unfortunately, donations have been way down in the past few months.

We had a young girl named Samantha approach us for a unique request. She is getting married in June, and would like to use feathers in her wedding bouquet and her centerpieces. If we collect around 300 feathers, she will donate 1.00 for every feather :) I love this idea.

So, we're calling on all of you who have feathers, to send them our way. No cost to you except a stamp :)

Please attach a quick note to your feathers indicating species.

You can mail them to:

PO Box 55013 RPO Temple
Calgary, Ab
T1Y 6R6

I've started saving my cockatiel's feathers to donate and I thought you all might be interested in mailing in some feathers too!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We're sending 6 of Scout's feathers. 2 each of the red tail feathers, green body feathers and blue flight feathers.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ohh, good thing we collect Zippy's feathers.

I'm a bit worried about them surviving intact in an envelope, though.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That is an awesome idea! I know we have some of Frankie's feathers floating around somewhere and I think this would be an awesome thing to do with them.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
What kind? Does she want body feathers too?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Ohh, good thing we collect Zippy's feathers.

I'm a bit worried about them surviving intact in an envelope, though.

I taped them to a piece of cardboard and after inserting that into the envelope, stapled the envelope closed around the sides of the cardboard so it wouldn't move around.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Could use some advice here - I have a very old cockatiel, he's 23, and he's got some poop building up on his butt feathers. THe other night it was super cold out and the next morning there was just a whole bunch of poo poo that had caught on his feathers when he was trying to poop, and it snowballed out. I cleaned off a lot of it, but since it was still kind of fresh it was sticking to everything and he was yelling a lot, so I decided to wait til it dried.

It's dried now, and he's been pooping still (there's plenty on the ground, at least), but it's still up there and it seems to be getting bigger. Is there a way to get this off of him? He's not acting sick, so I don't think anything's wrong, but I want to get this off. But, due to how close it is to his rear end and how upset he gets when I'm poking at it with tweezers, I'm hoping to find another way to get it off of him.

I want to dissolve it off or something, but I don't know what would work. Unfortunately the bird hospital is closed today so I'd have to take him another time.

EDIT: I tried a bath in some warm water and pulled a good deal of it off. There's still some up there, but I don't want to get too close to anything sensitive.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 17, 2012

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I went and picked up my bird today! I'm already in love, she is just the sweetest thing ever, she is letting me scritch her neck and she was beaking my stretched out earlobe. She has been hanging out with me ever since we have gotten home, just chillin on my shoulder.

The budgies were interested in her, they were climbing all over their cage and making a big ruckus, so she flew on top of their cage to let them know who is boss.

Her name is Lola

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:

Malalol posted:

What kind? Does she want body feathers too?

They didn't specify, but I'll ask. Someone asked on their wall asked if budgie feathers were okay and they said yes, so size definitely doesn't matter if that's what you're thinking about.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked on their page again and they said any feather will do!

bassguitarhero posted:

Could use some advice here - I have a very old cockatiel, he's 23, and he's got some poop building up on his butt feathers. THe other night it was super cold out and the next morning there was just a whole bunch of poo poo that had caught on his feathers when he was trying to poop, and it snowballed out. I cleaned off a lot of it, but since it was still kind of fresh it was sticking to everything and he was yelling a lot, so I decided to wait til it dried.

It's dried now, and he's been pooping still (there's plenty on the ground, at least), but it's still up there and it seems to be getting bigger. Is there a way to get this off of him? He's not acting sick, so I don't think anything's wrong, but I want to get this off. But, due to how close it is to his rear end and how upset he gets when I'm poking at it with tweezers, I'm hoping to find another way to get it off of him.

I want to dissolve it off or something, but I don't know what would work. Unfortunately the bird hospital is closed today so I'd have to take him another time.

EDIT: I tried a bath in some warm water and pulled a good deal of it off. There's still some up there, but I don't want to get too close to anything sensitive.

I think what you did for now is good, but I think you should definitely at least call the vet about it even though he doesn't look otherwise sick. Poor guy :(

Waffle Grid fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 17, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

bassguitarhero posted:

But, due to how close it is to his rear end and how upset he gets when I'm poking at it with tweezers, I'm hoping to find another way to get it off of him.

Soak him in warm water for a bit, then towel him and flip him over and reveal his butt end. Then you should be able to gently clean him up with a wet-wipe or something without the chance of him hurting himself in his struggles. He will find this extremely undignified and disrespectful considering his age, and he will let you know with furious warks. To be sure that you're doing it right, you should post a video so we can all laugh critique your buttwiping.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

:siren: IT'S CHIYO'S BRITHDAY :siren:

Last year, we discovered that my mated pair of lovebirds are smarter than me (starts about halfway down). Two of their babies were adopted up north, but I kept the runt since she was behind development by two weeks. Worst/best decision ever. Her birthday party is tomorrow and I'll make sure to post pictures of her humiliation and anger. :haw:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awful app quoted the wrong post :downs:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Awful app quoted the wrong post :downs:

I'm still using the old one until the new one gets it's poo poo straightened out.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Soak him in warm water for a bit, then towel him and flip him over and reveal his butt end. Then you should be able to gently clean him up with a wet-wipe or something without the chance of him hurting himself in his struggles. He will find this extremely undignified and disrespectful considering his age, and he will let you know with furious warks. To be sure that you're doing it right, you should post a video so we can all laugh critique your buttwiping.

Also yes. This is exactly step by step the thing to do. Especially the video.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Awww, poor old 'tiel. Rosy occasionally manages to get poop in her buttfeathers, too. Maybe it's a secret method of communication. :gonk:

Lola is beautiful! Is she a mutation?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Last day with the birds for about three weeks; leaving for the UK tonight and not back until the 6th. Will miss those feathery assholes :(

Also, my partner's planned trip is still unconfirmed but possibly still a go ahead, meaning the boarding at the vet still isn't planned/confirmed for certain. Since they want to board them on the 25th, that's a bit close for comfort. I'm pretty stressed about it, more so that I won't be here to see how it works out and help and ask questions and ahhhh

drat birds. I know they'll be okay (probably), but... please be okay :ohdear:

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

She is a yellowsided but she seems to have a little more red on her than usual. Lola has been getting a little nippy with me when she is on my shoulder. She keeps trying to remove a mole from my neck and it hurts! Whenever she does it I put her on the floor for a few minutes so hopefully she will learn not to be a bitey little beeyotch.

I put her to bed last night and I'm not so sure she actually got any sleep, I kept hearing her moving around in the cage and I'd peek in at her just to see her hanging on the bars. Can a conure sleep like that?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Fart Puzzle posted:

She is a yellowsided but she seems to have a little more red on her than usual. Lola has been getting a little nippy with me when she is on my shoulder. She keeps trying to remove a mole from my neck and it hurts! Whenever she does it I put her on the floor for a few minutes so hopefully she will learn not to be a bitey little beeyotch.

I put her to bed last night and I'm not so sure she actually got any sleep, I kept hearing her moving around in the cage and I'd peek in at her just to see her hanging on the bars. Can a conure sleep like that?

Birds have an innate skill to pick at imperfections, moles, freckles, scars, knots on wood, cracks in paint on cages (this is why cage material is an important thing) etc. It just kinda happens, I dunno if that's untrainable because it's really in their nature. Training not to bite hard is doable, but the curiosity is always going to be there I think :)

She may move around at night too, getting cozy etc. Also keep in mind she's in a new environment and hasn't really settled into a groove yet, but she'll get there eventually. When we cover ritz, from the point he crawls into his hut, to the point we take the cover off there's no sound for the most part.

Also, congrats on your baby!

Ornament Update!!

It came today! And it's lovely, the detail is so incredible, and it's just overall awesome. I'll take some pics later, boss is in the office today :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Put the birds to bed, and it's time to leave. Will be weird tomorrow, not waking up to a conure demanding petting and food. :(

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
My husband was wondering if it was too early for Pinto's bedtime and I almost said "Why don't you just go ask him?"

...I ended up phrasing it in a less insane-pet-lady way but still, it totally works.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I always feel like a bad parent when I put my bird to bed. It's like I'm totally ruining his night.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

My birds turn into bitchy monsters at 10pm on the dot. It's like they can read the clocks. I never feel bad about it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

I always feel like a bad parent when I put my bird to bed. It's like I'm totally ruining his night.

Squirt makes such a heart breaking little peep whenever we leave the house.