Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

Wow new iTunes has been so buggy for me.
3.) I can't change "Media Type" to Podcast anymore. I change from Music to Podcast and click OK and nothing happens and as soon as I Get Info again it's reverted to Music.

This one is being updated later from what I've heard. Also, I've added mp3s many times, most recently this morning. Are you going to your song library and sorting by date added to make sure they're not being added?

I haven't tried the spacebar that I can recall since I just use one of the Fkeys that has the play/pause button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

IUG posted:

Also, I've added mp3s many times, most recently this morning. Are you going to your song library and sorting by date added to make sure they're not being added?
Albums I add always show up properly in the "Recently Added" playlist and under "Songs" (the big list), but I've found that in iTunes 11, many album display modes it only shows half the tracks. I think it's a bug in the way it's trying to display split lists horizontally. Like when it's doing a 3-cell style table display of "art/tracks 1-5/tracks 6-10", 6-10 won't show up.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
In Full Screen on Mountain Lion, I can't see the clock without moving the cursor to the top of the screen to bring down the menu bar.

How can I see a clock at all times? Hell, maybe even the menu bar...

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

In Full Screen on Mountain Lion, I can't see the clock without moving the cursor to the top of the screen to bring down the menu bar.

That's kind of the point of full screen, but you could try setting your dock to auto-hide and then resizing windows to be as large as possible.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You can't do that while in fullscreen, as was mentioned. However, what you can do is to set focus to menu bar with Ctrl+F2 (default). And then you could reassign shortcut for that in Settings > Keyboard to something easier to press.

Alternatively, you could use Divvy to quickly resize windows to full screen without actually using full screen mode.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
For anyone who uses OS X Server, version 2.2 came out and actually added some cool stuff :toot:

Time Machine actually shows what's being backed up now!

And there's a new caching service for App Store updates

neuralyzer
Dec 14, 2004
Pablo Picasso
Starting sometime in the last couple of months I've encountered a weird problem in iPhoto: when I watch a slideshow it seems to ignore facial recognition data. It can detect faces fine outside of the slideshow and in the past when I used slideshow types like origami and others that put a bunch of photos on the screen at once it centered on the faces in each picture, but recently it just refuses to do that. Even if I manually set each face, the slideshow still looks terrible because it doesn't center on the face. The only thing I could think of is making a new library but I have tons of photos so I'd rather not... has anyone encountered something like this? Thanks.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I know that 3 years is dead and buried in software years, but Pages isn't broken and doesn't need fixing. It is a great option for $20 or whatever it costs. Of course, I'm still on snow leopard and have no plans to upgrade because of all these other incompatibilities it would introduce in the software I use.

Actually, the recent update to Pages for iOS lets one read and do tracked changes on word docs and send back word docs. Congratulations, that just made Office for iPad 95% irrelevent.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Didn't BTT used to have an option that would move the mouse cursor to the first button of an open dialog automatically? I can't seem to find it anymore.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Awhile back someone posted a command line entry that helps MacBook Airs avoid the whole "unresponsive for a few seconds after closing and reopening the lid" thing. Apparently it comes at the expense of battery life but I'd like to try it anyway. Can anyone help?

Edit: Nevermind I think I found it. Is this it?

code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 10, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

illcendiary posted:

Awhile back someone posted a command line entry that helps MacBook Airs avoid the whole "unresponsive for a few seconds after closing and reopening the lid" thing. Apparently it comes at the expense of battery life but I'd like to try it anyway. Can anyone help?

Edit: Nevermind I think I found it. Is this it?

code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Yes, mode 0 won't write RAM to disk

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Photoshop has finally been retina-ified!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there a way to run chkdsk on an USB ntfs-formatted hard drive without having to install bootcamp? Last time I tried fixing the drive with Verify/Repair Disk (using Tuxera) half the files disappeared only reappearing after I was able to find a Windows computer with chkdsk.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A VM would be able to do that.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Has anyone ever encountered an install hanging forever with the message

"Waiting for other installations to complete..."

Googling for that specific phrase only turns up a few results, and one of them is about how Gatekeeper is blocking access or something. I'm on 10.7.5, so that doesn't apply to me. Every time I run the installer for this program it hangs up like this until I force quit, so I'm pretty confused.

One fix suggests doing this:

quote:

sudo rm /private/var/db/mds/system/mds.install.lock
sudo reboot

I know nothing about Terminal, is that safe? If so, I'll try it.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What are you installing? Xcode 4 by chance?

Does the app run normally after a reboot?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mr. Onslaught posted:

One fix suggests doing this:

I know nothing about Terminal, is that safe? If so, I'll try it.
Yes. The lock file is simply an empty file that's created when an installation is started and deleted when it completes or fails. If there's actually an installation in progress then deleting it and running another installer may not be safe, but rebooting ensures that isn't the case.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My MBP is hanging on opening Mail Contacts and Calendars, spinning beachball. Someone on Apple forums aid verify and repair permissions but this didnt fix it.

I loaded up Gmail in the account list, looked at it in mail and decided I didnt like it and just did the in application account deletion. Ive rebooted, verified and repaired and its just hanging forever. OS X 10.8.2

Any suggestions?

Edit=Seems fixed now. I logged out and deleted all local icloud content.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 12, 2012

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

porkface posted:

What are you installing? Xcode 4 by chance?

Does the app run normally after a reboot?

It did it for Xcode, and then again for Final Draft. Final Draft gave some message about not being properly installed whenever I tried to run it after a reboot.

quote:

Yes. The lock file is simply an empty file that's created when an installation is started and deleted when it completes or fails. If there's actually an installation in progress then deleting it and running another installer may not be safe, but rebooting ensures that isn't the case.

Thanks, I input that stuff in Terminal and everything went just fine afterward.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrBigglesworth posted:

My MBP is hanging on opening Mail Contacts and Calendars, spinning beachball. Someone on Apple forums aid verify and repair permissions but this didnt fix it.

I loaded up Gmail in the account list, looked at it in mail and decided I didnt like it and just did the in application account deletion. Ive rebooted, verified and repaired and its just hanging forever. OS X 10.8.2

Any suggestions?

Edit=Seems fixed now. I logged out and deleted all local icloud content.
I think iCloud syncing of contacts is still buggy. I've seen them sync non-stop, leaking memory until the system says "Hey fucker I'm all out out of virtual memory".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to hook a new MacMini up to a 50" flat panel and as usual the image didn't quite fit the screen and the menubar was cut off.

Then I found the "underscan" slider. :stare:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So what is a good keyboard/mouse sharing program that you can install as host on the Mac, client on Windows that ISNT Synergy...I cant for the life of me get SynergyKM setup where Windows can access it. Windows keeps saying the connection is refused.

Edit=I dont know what the gently caress, I removed and reinstalled the windows client and made no config changes and now it just "works"

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 15, 2012

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Can somebody remind me what the heck I installed that puts the console log on top of my desktop:

I don't think it is geektool. I looked through the process list in activity monitor and nothing rings a bell. It isn't in my personal login items so it must be somewhere in the system startup cause it comes back every time I reboot.

I mean, it looks cool but I am wondering if it is a waste of resources.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Think geek tool is managed in system prefs, so that's another way to check for that program.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Additional places to look include the user launchd directories to see what's launching. Does it run from there?

If that still doesn't work, find a copy of Quartz Debug from the Apple developers site and run all the commands here.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101104073546285

Then open Quartz Debug and press ctrl and option upon your desktop. Might not work still though.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I found the app, if anyone is interested:

http://xlogapp.wordpress.com

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Didn't see this in the links on the OP, but can anyone recommend a good solution for enabling read / write on NFTS external drives for Mountain Lion? From a quick bit of googling it looks like Paragon is the best paid option. Curious if there any freeware options out there that work.

Also, any suggestions for a video player that can handle Blu-Ray? Looks like VLC is the way to go but I'm not certain if it can read blu-ray.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
No real Blu-Ray players. (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/12/mce-external-blu-ray-drive-trades-one-bag-of-hurt-for-another/)

Fot the external drive thing:

https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/NTFS-3G

Can't say I use this myself as I just use ExFAT for personal drives.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ok so I just got my ver first Mac a couple weeks ago. I set up mail.app with my corporate exchange account but I am noticing that it isn't keeping up to date. If I close the program nd reopen it will update but eventually it will 'hang' again. What am I doing wrong?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

You Keynote haters are weird. It's lightyears ahead of PowerPoint. This is a totally objective opinion. :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE ZONE

Once I had to fix a PowerPoint show that decided to stop advancing past a certain slide 5 minutes before somebodys showtime.

I know nothing about either pp or kn but I imported the show into Keynote and only there did I spot the problem.

Missing graphic or something, reimported it and noodled with slide transitions and it worked.

So as a total slideshow noob I give the edge to Keynote.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Question for those that Bootcamp and game in Windows.

I got an rMBP this week and was really disappointed in gaming performance for the first 2 days. Then the 3rd day, I dont know WTF but holy poo poo I was blown away. TF2 went from 35-50 FPS to 120FPS with all effects turned on. Similar for Star Wars the Old Republic, going from 15-25 to no less than 50 fps again with all effects on, (cept for shadows, gently caress them).

I am wondering if for some reason the graphics switching didnt revert to to the Nvidia card and that my first few gaming attempts were rendered with the Intel HD 4000 on the CPU instead.

Is there a similar tool to GFXCardStatus for Windows as there is for Mac?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Question for those that Bootcamp and game in Windows.

I got an rMBP this week and was really disappointed in gaming performance for the first 2 days. Then the 3rd day, I dont know WTF but holy poo poo I was blown away. TF2 went from 35-50 FPS to 120FPS with all effects turned on. Similar for Star Wars the Old Republic, going from 15-25 to no less than 50 fps again with all effects on, (cept for shadows, gently caress them).

I am wondering if for some reason the graphics switching didnt revert to to the Nvidia card and that my first few gaming attempts were rendered with the Intel HD 4000 on the CPU instead.

Is there a similar tool to GFXCardStatus for Windows as there is for Mac?
Unless they've changed things recently, the graphics switching doesn't work in Windows. Perhaps the computer was trying to run stuff at 2880x1800 and it's switched back down to 1440x900?

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

A lot of people have this problem ( including me )

If it ever goes slow again, reset the SMC and you should be good to go.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Jabe posted:

A lot of people have this problem ( including me )

If it ever goes slow again, reset the SMC and you should be good to go.

Oh wow, I just ran into this and I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Mercurius posted:

Unless they've changed things recently, the graphics switching doesn't work in Windows. Perhaps the computer was trying to run stuff at 2880x1800 and it's switched back down to 1440x900?

No idea. Currently using an external monitor for 1680x1050 resolution. Windows doesn't even report the 1440 with or without the external monitor.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Not sure if this is the right thread, but it didn't seem to fit with hardware talk. I took a couple episodes of Archer over to my brother's last night on an external hard drive. He hooked up his (older, not sure what model) macbook pro (has a black bezel) up to his TV with a dongle HDMI converter. The playback was really choppy and stuttering and the audio kept getting desynchronized, is this just an issue of underpowered hardware? I remembered that in order to use clamshell you had to have an external keyboard (which he didn't) and initially I thought it might have been because I was running rsync in the background but I killed that and it didn't make a difference. Then I thought he might have had a bunch of poo poo running so I killed his open stuff, rebooted but that still didn't help.

My 2012 MBA has no problem streaming content across my home network, and even less I would imagine playing something off a hard drive.

I just tried hooking up the external to my computer and had zero playback issues.

Content: H264 1280x720 mkv
HDD ext3, using OSXFUSE with the ext2 FUSE module
Playback using MPlayerX

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The only sketchy thing in there is that OSXFuse setup.

Maybe you could have increased the cache size in Mplayer? Or maybe copy the file to the desktop before playback and see if that makes a difference? Also, what about VLC?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Just got my first kernel panic on this machine last night after attempting to mount my FTP server as a disk via Transmit. Of course it doesn't surprise me one bit that mucking with filesystem stuff can make that happen, and taking a look at the changelogs I noticed they recently addressed a kernel panic issue on Mountain Lion (no mention of Snow Leopard). Obviously I'm going to contact Panic support - in the meantime, can anyone report if a previous version (I'm using 4.2) might be more stable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
What's the current preferred program/method for ripping .flv files from YouTube? Permute used to do it beautifully, and had a great trial version, but just as I was about to buy it they transitioned the program to the App Store and removed the YouTube ripping feature. I contacted the devs and literally offered them money to buy the non-disabled version, and they said no. :(