Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's a reason why we don't have Crystal Pepsi anymore, so let's just end these shenanigans with a vote for B.

Matters are improving, but let's fix the line up a bit:
code:
Nomar Garciaparra	1B
Tony Gwynn/Tim Salmon	RF
Al Kaline		CF
Goose Goslin		LF
Luke Appling            SS
Ron Santo               3B
Yogi Berra		C 
Jeff Kent		2B
[Pitcher Slot]		P
I'm gonna slot Dolf Luque in Tiant's spot in the rotation and see how badly that blows up on me. Gonna also give Zambrano the nod as LR and send Reuschel to the minors. I see I have a Moises Alou in my farm system, I think I lost him in a challenge last season but if you wanna give him to me I'm sure he'll prove great org fodder in AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
C.

I'll make some roster/lineup changes tomorrow.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Bunch of people too young to have tasted that swill spotted. I support the C falafel variant.

Poor Rapid Robert. I expected my young fireballers to be lottery tickets this year, but no earned runs and two losses is demoralizing. I'm not worried about my start, honestly, because my pitching seems OK (except for Greinke's early hook game), and if Bagwell and Edmonds decide not to hit all year, then I am Just hosed and no amount of fretting will change that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Cthulhu rightly pointed out that I'm being too conservative, so please find my updated lineups (now with less platooning of Puckett)

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
And THE Thornton Lee provides a complete game to contribute to the sweep!

I'm a bit anxious about the Landers series, but I guess we'll see about that tomorrow.

Also B. I'd rather drink rocket fuel than Crystal Pepsi. It seems like something Gracie would try at least once, too.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

vs. Righties no DH

3B McGraw
LF Hamilton
CF Speaker
RF Snider
C Campanella
SS Cronin
2B Robinson
1B Kelley

Bullpen

CL Hiller
SU Montgomery
SR Labine
SR Davis
MR Gordon
LR Uhle

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

mrnoun posted:

It'll be a few weeks yet before the list is finalized and sign-ups are opened. So this is your chance to participate in the process. So, readers: do you have a favorite player you want to see included?

For some Ugly Johnny Dickshot action, plus the chance to have THE OTHER Thornton Lee? I lust after the 1934 Cardinals for completely un-gamist reasons, as well, but you've got that covered.

Don't take this the wrong way, but some of those valuations seem a bit high, though maybe they're meant to be trap teams?

Also, B.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

1987 New York Yankees. Prime Don Mattingly! Prime Rickey Henderson! A slew of decent bullpen arms.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

1988 Atlanta Braves

Babby Smoltz and Glavine, an old Bruce Sutter who will surely destroy a bullpen, and '88 Ken Griffey might fool somebody in a future dispersal draft.

Best Name: Jim Morrison

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going to have to go for C. This is an alternate universe, but unless the very fundamental nature of humans has been altered, there's no chance that Pepsi would do something successful. Ergo, in Earth-2, Crystal Pepsi is New Coke.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The answer is always C.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Crystal Pepsi owned, you guys are wrong to the point where I might have to leave the league over this

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Mark Grace needs that Rocket Fuel now. so he visits his alter ego . B

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 3 Injury Report

Portland Bulldogs
Lefty Gomez (SP) (Curse of the Saints) - 32 days

Rockford Losers
John Smoltz (RP) (Better than another Charleston injury!) - 15 days

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Why must Grace choose between Crystal Pepsi and gyros, I ask you?
B

Also woe be to the Oranges, our offense is literally too good, at least 1/3 of my lineup has more walks than hits judging by those OBAs. Lousy junkballers.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Just realized I never voted for this prompt. A all the way!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 2: The Crying of LP 47

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

W'S WIN GAME 4-3 THANKS TO SIMMONS, YOSHIDA

New Orleans- Jack McDowell was not happy with how the W's season was starting.

He made that clear when he grabbed a microphone and addressed the New Orleans crowd before the game, "My name is Jack McDowell," he began, "and I am the leader of the Legacy, and let me say that I'm the first to admit that things have not been going well for our team, and it's clear that we need to do something to change things up. But what? Mess with the lineup? We don't really have a great bench, and, as much as it would be fun to put Johnson and Bellhorn out there to form the double-play combo from hell, I don't know how productive that would be."

McDowell then started to gesticulate with his hands, "You see, it occurs to me that, to an extent, trying to make logical decisions simply isn't our way. Think about it. Our owner doesn't really know all that much about baseball, every decision he makes is based on instinct, on feel. So, to that end, I'm going to do what I feel is the right thing to do for our team. In our continuing quest to prove that elan and espirit d'corps are not outdated concepts, I hereby name, as the starter for this very game, Eri Yoshida!"

The crowd didn't know how to react as Yoshida, the slightest of all pitchers, took the mound, but the Mashers, not wanting to be shown up by a teenage girl, did their best to try and pull out the win, scoring three runs off of Yoshida in seven innings. That left them with a one-run lead heading into the top of the ninth, but the W's, desperate to prove that all of their quirky personnel decisions were more than the addled decision-making of their owner, pulled together for one last rally, with Ruth drawing a leadoff walk and Al Simmons smacking a two-run blast to give the W's a 4-3 lead that stood up to an abortive Mashers comeback attempt in the bottom of the ninth.

New Orleans Mashers owner, CraigK, took the loss in stride, "Well, y'all, this sure ain't what I wanted to happen, and I'm madder than a sheep on fire that the Commissar is makin' me sound like some kinda hillbilly. Not everyone from the South is some sort of caricature, ya know. I reckon that most people from the South ain't too different from Northern folks, and I would appreciate it kindly if I could be treated as a normal human being rather than as a, what you call, an object of derision."

Asked if he would ease up on CraigK, Smasher Dynamo explained, "Cardinals fans deserve nothing more than an endless stream of mockery and condemnation until the last of their breed is extirpated from this world."

Box Score

Don May posted:

ARGUMENTS BEAT BARONS 2-1

Cooperstown- In the top of the first, the Barons scored a run. In the bottom of the ninth, the Arguments scored two runs to win this game. In between, not a single run was scored.

Depending on one's point of view, this made either an extraordinarily tense game where the outcome of the game rode on each and every at-bat, or a profoundly boring experience where neither team seemed capable of doing anything on offense.

Barons owner, and presumed Deep Space Nine Enthusiast, Gardenald was not happy to be the loser in his first two games of the week, "Hey, we were the runners up in the Expansion Cup, and you're making us look like complete losers. Like we're the loving Rom of this season. Well, we are not loving Rom, we are totally Brunt. You hear me! BRUNT!"

For his part, Robert_Deadford, owner of the Arguments, attempted to sound human while discussing his team's victory, "Excellent achievement by my player-units. They have brought me the human emotion, I mean, fellow human emotion, that your race....of which I am a part, calls 'pride'. Yes, I am positively bursting with it, feeling as though both of my two human kidneys will literally explode with this emotion. In fact, I must go now to release this emotion, to prevent any sort of renal rupture that would certainly destroy this human body! Good night!"

Box Score

Television Title Defenses

: YO-SHI-DA! YO-SHI-DA! YO-SHI-DA!
: What are you doing?
: Smasher, I made a start! And it was a quality start! I totally deserve to be moved into the rotation.
: Yeah? ForeverBWFC would have to be drunk out of his mind to think that's a good idea.
: So...Thursday?
: Maybe. Anyway, it's a new week, and that means more defenses for the Television Championship, the 6th most prestigious secondary championship in the Super-League! And the defending Whalers will start off with a quick win over the Suicides!
: The Suicides are a fatally flawed team. They have Williams and Ruth, and that's about it.
: Still, that's a one-hitter by Cone, and that's pretty impressive.

: Suicides pull one out, so they still have a theoretical change of winning the title.
: Very theoretical!

: Whalers win again, and that gives them two wins in this series, and they'll retain the Television title.
: This is a real concern, the Suicides' offense does not look good at all. They may have Ruth and Williams, but nothing else, really.

: And another strong showing as the Whalers see off the Suicides, 8-2, and win the series 3-1. Good effort against, admittedly, not a great team.
: Did PETA ever try and get the Whalers to change their name?
: No idea. Then again, it's not like there are a ton of whalers in Hartford anymore...or ever, really.

: Second Defense of the Television Title this week, now, and the Whalers will take on the Failures in Philadelphia. And they'll lead things off with a big win here. The Whalers are just rolling.
: Another bad loss by the Failures. They need some help on offense, and they need it now.

: And that will do it, for all intents and purposes, the Whalers retain again with their second win of this series, and that's a tough break for the Failures.
: Here's an interesting stat: over the two starts he's made this week, David Cone has given up two hits and sixteen walks. That's Nolan Ryan-esque right there.

: Failures get one win back, and at least that's progress.
: Pettitte is probably the weak link in the Whalers' rotation, and mks5000 is going to need to address that at some point if he wants to win something more meaningful than the TV title.

: And that will wrap it up. The Whalers make two defenses of the TV Title, and they'll head into next week as champions. The early defense will be Whalers-Air Raids, and then we'll see either Whalers-Landers or Air Raids-Arguments. You may or may not want to miss it!

Team Statistics

Analysis

Too early to make any big changes. Keep the faith.

Analysis

The engine thinks that Stras is a bit young, I guess. Or maybe it hates him for some other reason.

Analysis

Okay, that record isn't great, but Kingman has only six Ks in five games! That's an incredible accomplishment for him!

Analysis

Okay, you've made your point, now take Cust out of the lineup.

Analysis

Good job. Keep it going.

Analysis

Rickey Henderson: 10 stolen bases in 10 games. drat.

Analysis

Solid as always.

Analysis

Young Mel Stottlemyre and Snuffy aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Then again, I'm pretty sure that Snuffy is actually a stuffed animal so, but that standard, he's doing remarkably well. And you have no one to replace him with anyway.

Analysis

If you believe in peripherals, then Johnson should come around soon.

Analysis

Technically, Posey is doing a bit better this season.

Analysis

Well, the important thing is that you keep trying!

Analysis

Big loving surprise.

Analysis

So, uh...sorry.

Analysis

Well, you've got Ruth, Williams, and bitter desperation in your lineup.

Analysis

Give it time, all things will be righted.

Analysis

I don't understand your team.

Standings and Leaders

A. Stop for Crystal Pepsi! - 10 votes

B. Get around to visiting Earth-2 Mark Grace to get that rocket fuel! - 6 votes

C. Mark Grace is still hungry! Get Earth-2 Gyros! - 5 votes

If only the anti-Crystal Pepsi Faction could have worked together...

Mark Grace decided that some things were more important than fuel for his rocket cycle, and this was one of them.

Entering the 7-11, he casually made his way to the cooler, and then found himself a 20 ounce bottle of Crystal Pepsi and took it out. Looking at the packaging, Mark Grace thought about the last time he had a Crystal Pepsi in his home world...so many years ago.

He took the bottle to the cashier, who informed him that it was be 85 pence.

"Pence?" Grace questioned, confused by this turn of events.

"Yes, as you know, when America lost the War of 1812, Great Britain reclaimed Northern New England and most of the old Northwest Territory, and these were later made part of Greater Canada, and, therefore, Canadian currency, expressed in pounds and pence, is used here, although, of course, that would be common knowledge that you certainly did not need explained to you now."

"Oh yeah," Mark Grace remembered how, as this was not his first trip to this reality, he already knew all of that, but it was still nice to have someone sum it up for him in such a concise fashion. And, as he had anticipated something like this happening, he paid the cashier and left.

Getting back inside his car, he opened the bottle of Crystal Pepsi, and took a big swig. It wasn't very good. It was like an warped version of cola, and, honestly, its clear color was more of a novelty than a feature. Still, this whole incident did make Mark Grace wonder if he could find some Jay's Calypso Chips...

Still, he had more important things to do...

DECISION TIME!

Will Mark Grace

A. Instigate revolution to liberate Chicagoland from Greater Canada!

B. Finally go get that Rocket Fuel from Earth-2 Mark Grace!

C. Go sledding!

VOTE OR ELSE!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Anyone who doesn't vote C is a bad person and should feel bad.
also I am sorry I do not view this thread at work because of the lpix issue with Kaspersky I can't see any of the images.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
C. Yes, C. Sledding is loving amazing and I will not be persuaded otherwise.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

C

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Randy Johnson :stonk:

Sledding! :haw:

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Lineup:

LF Raines
2B Collins
CF DiMaggio
C Gibson
RF Aaron
3B Brett
1B Garciaparra
SS Tejada
DH Valo

Just get me some walks, Elmer.

Bring up Horton to the bench while Manny is on the DL.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
New Orleans Mashers

Allen, you suck.

Dick Allen to the bench to be replaced by Alou

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Wrigleyville in CAnada's clutches? This evil must be stopped.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

CraigK posted:

New Orleans Mashers

Allen, you suck.

Dick Allen to the bench to be replaced by Alou

Yo I'll trade you '58 Al Kaline for Dick Allen

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Nah. I'm sure he'll come around, just starting the hot hand currently.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Let's get Back on track. I feel bad jerking Mark Grace around like this.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hey, it'd be cool if my team could hit above the Mendoza line. But w/e.

Voting C again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
hey, we have a rocket we aren't using. B GET SOME ROCKET FUEL!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mentholmoose posted:

Hey, it'd be cool if my team could hit above the Mendoza line. But w/e.

There is a weird thing where pitchers tend to own in the first month of the season, the hitters come back. Happened last two super leagues. It's not clear why.

I also vote for Sledding

Good work team, great showing, we're really starting to hit our straps now. You're scoring runs and that wins ball games. However, one change. Swap Mel Ott with Larry Walker in the vs RHP lineup.

While I suspect in real life that 1997 Larry Walker is a better hitter than 1946 Mel Ott, the game doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Can't panic over two starts from Stras; if anyone can withstand my defense, it would seem like his strikeouts make him the favorite. But jeez, I figured I was getting a Gold Glover in Morgan. :stonk:

Voting C - sledding because I don't hate fun.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Oh, and count the rings, Cub fan

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

CraigK posted:

Oh, and count the rings, Cub fan

Yeah, except for all of those rings, the Cardinals still have to play their home games in St. Louis.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Christ, it's gonna suck when Theo Epstein leads them to the promised land and kills that talking point

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Yeah, except for all of those rings, the Cardinals still have to play their home games in St. Louis.

Hey, when the sunlight hits it right that pond beside Busch Stadium that's been empty since 2006 looks beautiful

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

CraigK posted:

Christ, it's gonna suck when Theo Epstein leads them to the promised land and kills that talking point

And then when that happens, you can pull out the "I'm a Mariners fan" card and be justified in feeling more depressed than a Cubs fan :v:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Pungry posted:

And then when that happens, you can pull out the "I'm a Mariners fan" card and be justified in feeling more depressed than a Cubs fan :v:

Ssh don't give away my plans

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

CraigK posted:

Ssh don't give away my plans

Somehow this DM to yourself from two years ago ended up in LP. Weird.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Mariners should just trade Felix Hernandez to the Cardinals so I can stop caring about them completely

Speaking of

New Orleans Mashers

Felix owns. Bump him up to the top of the rotation and give Randy his spot. Maybe that'll help RJ.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Can't panic over two starts from Stras; if anyone can withstand my defense, it would seem like his strikeouts make him the favorite. But jeez, I figured I was getting a Gold Glover in Morgan. :stonk:

Voting C - sledding because I don't hate fun.

You don't have him in a band box or anything do you? He gives up more long fly balls than the average SL pitcher. That does look like simple bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Yoshida had a start? And a win? I am confused as gently caress but so proud of her, bless! Also, C!