Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It'd be pretty nice if they're celebrate Final Fantasy's 25th aniversary by releasing a good game.

Instead we got some card... thing? Using the creepy dolls from FF: Guitar Hero, which was also re-released at a price setup that is more expensive than when it was brand loving new, and FF4Ds will be going to iOS.

I guess the highlight this year would be FF14 getting fixed and relaunched? Maybe tomorrow will surprise us, and Versus will be revealed as having just finished the gold master disc and is being produced for a a Q1 launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

At this point I'd have more hope of Versus XIII coming out if they did a Mega Man Legends 3 and got the fans to make most of the content for them. I mean, at least The Last Guardian did at one point have a release date, and was releasing information up until the point that they ran into some massive problem.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Off topic, tomorrow is Final Fantasy's 25th Anniversary.

Might as well have some music. And one of the best arrangements ever. :colbert:
The lead in to the Chaos Temple theme is rad as gently caress.

Even my least favourite FF games like II and VIII still have great music. The best part of playing any remake is getting to have an orchestral version of the soundtrack.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's to 24 years of "why do they call it FINAL Fantasy" jokes!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Even my least favourite FF games like II and VIII still have great music. The best part of playing any remake is getting to have an orchestral version of the soundtrack.

It's kinda nice that the scores have been pretty good throughout.
Let's start at the beginning and work our way through:

Final Fantasy I - Theme of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II - Main Theme
Final Fantasy III - Eternal Wind
Final Fantasy IV - Main Theme
Final Fantasy V - Ahead on Our Way
Final Fantasy VI - Terra's Theme
Final Fantasy VII - Main Theme
Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali
Final Fantasy IX - Melodies of Life
Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand
Final Fantasy XI - Memoro de la Ŝtono and Distant Worlds
Final Fantasy XII - Ending Theme
Final Fantasy XIII - Main Theme
Final Fantasy XIV - Answers

:allears:

gently caress XIII's theme though.

[e]: Have few other things as well:
FFIX Medley - gently caress YES Gets very Jeff Wayne-esque during the Bran Bal section.
FFV Exdeath - French Horn
Black Mages FFIII - Cloud of Darkness
Those Who Fight - AC Piano
Cosmos' Music Band

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 18, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd be pretty nice if they're celebrate Final Fantasy's 25th aniversary by releasing a good game.

Instead we got some card... thing? Using the creepy dolls from FF: Guitar Hero, which was also re-released at a price setup that is more expensive than when it was brand loving new, and FF4Ds will be going to iOS.

I guess the highlight this year would be FF14 getting fixed and relaunched? Maybe tomorrow will surprise us, and Versus will be revealed as having just finished the gold master disc and is being produced for a a Q1 launch.

Even in it's prototypical state, I almost cry when I play the FFXIV:ARR alpha and realize it's the first good new Final Fantasy game I've played in the greater part of the decade, even if there's a bit of an asterisk in that they pretty much bulldozed the entire original version and started over.

My second favorite is FF:Guitar Hero but there are so many things that drive me nuts gameplay-wise, like that it's really only effective to grind dark notes as far as the ridiculous requirements to unlock characters and such but there's only like 20 songs it pulls from and it certainly doesn't have any of the DLC you've bought and god drat you square why did you not put in a shuffle play mode :argh: Also the CP system they stole from Dissidia is wack and I don't think suits it very well.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Boten Anna posted:

My second favorite is FF:Guitar Hero but there are so many things that drive me nuts gameplay-wise, like that it's really only effective to grind dark notes as far as the ridiculous requirements to unlock characters and such but there's only like 20 songs it pulls from and it certainly doesn't have any of the DLC you've bought and god drat you square why did you not put in a shuffle play mode :argh:

The funniest thing about this sentence is that they did include a Shuffle Play mode in the iOS version, except you have to go through all its ridiculous-rear end paywall shenanigans to play it to any reasonable degree.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The IOS version is pretty good though :shobon: The game itself only comes with To Zanarkand and One Winged Angel and you buy game specific bundles of 4 for $3, or some of the more iconic songs for $1 each. It can end up cheaper than the 3DS version depending how you play it, also it's in your pocket.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The IOS version is pretty good though :shobon: The game itself only comes with To Zanarkand and One Winged Angel and you buy game specific bundles of 4 for $3, or some of the more iconic songs for $1 each. It can end up cheaper than the 3DS version depending how you play it, also it's in your pocket.

As I mentioned in the proper Theatrhythm thread, I don't want to call it a bad port, but it's certainly not a good one either, considering how stripped-down the system is and how blatantly mercenary they are about the release; it's functional, which is the least you can ask for. It's also got a shuffle mode in Quest Medley and the capacity to create your own beatmaps, so that might be worth a look as well. Still, the only way I can suggest investing more than five bucks in the iOS version is if you don't have a 3DS in the first place and don't want to drop $150-200 on both the game and system at once.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

it's functional, which is the least you can ask for.

Nope, it crashes for me every time a song starts on my 4th gen iPod.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The hell? FFXIII's theme is beautiful.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 18, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Final Fantasy VI has my favorite game soundtrack of all time. The entire endgame sequence is amazing, especially when you make it to Kefka and the orchestral score turns into a rocking metal guitar song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

First screenshot of Lightning Returns is unveiled, showing off Lightning's new costume:

quote:

The outfit, designed by Tetsuya Nomura, is said to be a mixture of several styles. Similar to her outfit in FFXIII-2, her upper body is covered in a black armor, while the lower part features a body suit. Lightning is also wearing elements of a classic white mage’s outfit, including a white cape and red gloves. On her left arm is a shield that looks like something you might see in Mobile Suit Gundam. Her sword is also different, now a reddish and yellow color.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

But seriously now

:allears: I would pay for a Final Fantasy that looked all like this.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Azure_Horizon posted:

The hell? FFXIII's theme is beautiful.

I agree, however my favourite version is its use in Archylte Steppe's theme. It's so sweeping, just like the grassy hills of the steppe. :allears:

Speaking of FFXIII's music, I've been playing FFXIII-2 for two hours and I'm in love with the soundtrack again, moreso than the first time I played through the game. It's very poppy but it works so well.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Eggie posted:

Speaking of FFXIII's music, I've been playing FFXIII-2 for two hours and I'm in love with the soundtrack again, moreso than the first time I played through the game. It's very poppy but it works so well.

The soundtrack would have been better if it was only Crazy Chocobo. :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mazed posted:

:allears: I would pay for a Final Fantasy that looked all like this.

It's how they used to look.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Tacky as gently caress, but still better than whatever the hell she was wearing last time we saw her.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Spermando posted:

Tacky as gently caress, but still better than whatever the hell she was wearing last time we saw her.

She somehow looks even dumber than Caius

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spermando posted:

Goddammit Square, what the hell was wrong with her 13 outfit? :negative: Being better than the 13-2 outfit doesn't get you any brownie points.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 18, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Those sleeves make her arms look long as gently caress.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, I'm gonna have to see that in motion before I pass judgement on it.

(it looks dumb)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In comparison to that, 13-2's character designs are subdued and tasteful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What the hell was wrong with a sleeveless vest and skirt over shorts? Why did they have to change it twice into... whatever the hell this is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Boob armour. :ughh:

Considering we all know what the usual goofy standard of JRPG clothes look like, I can honestly say that this is one of the goofiest.

I think a quick refresher is needed on what Lightning looked like:

Her XIII outfit wasn't too bad as it goes, XIII-2 was rather naff though.

[e]:

That loving Sned posted:

The outfit, designed by Tetsuya Nomura, is said to be a mixture of several styles...

Is Nomura having another mid-life crisis or something? Less a mixture, and more of a cluster gently caress.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 18, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Girlfriend needs to get back in that Prada. Isn't her costume supposed to change when she shifts paradigms/changes class/whatever?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Is there any truth to the rumor that Yasumi Matsuno was fired from FF12 instead of bowing out due to health reasons?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't really say if this is better or worse than the 13-2 outfit. And that outfit was crap.

EDIT: What is that red thing on her left arm supposed to be? The armor is giving me some Mass Effect vibes. I'm starting to believe Nomura saw the Mass Effect armor DLC and said "me too". Then the producers told him Lightning needed to keep the "feel" of her earlier outfits... throw in some Dragon Age armor as well and this is the result.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Renoistic posted:

The armor is giving me some Mass Effect vibes.

It's the red and white stripes on the sleeves. I thought the same thing too.

Of course Mass Effect armor is actually armor.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Maybe it's just that it's black, but that reminds me of nothing so much as Golbez. Which would be an interesting direction for the character to take.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Yasumi Matsuno was fired from FF12 instead of bowing out due to health reasons?

"Health reasons" in Japanese business speak is usually code for someone doing something which causes them to be pretty much obligated to leave, hidden under a guise of politeness. Something went on behind the scenes but the reasoning isn't clear.

Spermando posted:

This looks like they were going for a design like Lenneth Valkyrie and got lost along the way. Possibly in a dominatrix shop. I think it is actually kind of worse than FFXIII-2's and that is saying something.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 18, 2012

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
I'm an extremely picky Final Fantasy fan. Some part of me absolutely loves the series, while another thinks Square is just beating a dead horse of a franchise.

I adore IV and VI. IV is one of my all-time favourite video games, mostly for the plot and because Kain is one of my favourite FF characters. I'm also a big fan of IX, a bit more so than the other Playstation games, particularly because it has an old-school feel.

By X, I felt like it was all right, but it was missing something to me. The battle system was fine, aside from the whole skill tree thing. I played XII for a few hours once and I think at that point I gave up on expecting decent new Final Fantasies.

I'm almost tempted to try XIII, but I've heard a whole load of bad reviews of it, so I'm kind of keeping far away from it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

"Health reasons" in Japanese business speak is usually code for someone doing something which causes them to be pretty much obligated to leave, hidden under a guise of politeness. Something went on behind the scenes but the reasoning isn't clear.

This looks like they were going for a design like Lenneth Valkyrie and got lost along the way. Possibly in a dominatrix shop. I think it is actually kind of worse than FFXIII-2's and that is saying something.

Boob armor aside, I always liked Lenneth's design. It looks somewhat practical but still has some "flourishes" without being gaudy.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ImpAtom posted:

See, Lenneth's outfit is actually kind of okay, in that it looks at least like it provides some amount of protection and you can move around in it.

That new design. :sigh: If you took an individual piece of it and drew the rest of it to match, like a studded leather coat to match those sleeves or a full set of plate to match that breastplate, you'd have something that works. As it is, it's just a mashup of awkward shapes. Even the XIII-2 armor has some flow and consistency.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Even the spinoffs have never disappointed me in terms of music. Hell, the only good thing I can say about the Compilation of FFVII is that both Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core had cool OSTs.
Although X-2's soundtrack was only mediocre overall.

Maybe I've just been fortunate enough to only play games with scores done by the likes of Mitsuda, Uematsu and Sakuraba but I have yet to play a JRPG where the music was actually bad. Well in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Boob armor aside, I always liked Lenneth's design. It looks somewhat practical but still has some "flourishes" without being gaudy.

I do too. It's one of my favorite designs (boob armor aside) from an JRPG. Lightning's is just awful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Happy Birthday to Final Fantasy.

Here's to 25 more years of ridiculous character designs, FF4 remakes, and bitching about how much the new games suck.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mega64 posted:

Happy Birthday to Final Fantasy.

Here's to 25 more years of ridiculous character designs, FF4 remakes, and bitching about how much the new games suck.

The only thing constant about any new final fantasy is that people will bitch about it, and the bitching scales exponentially with the number of previous FFs they played.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Figures that the newest game with the best character designs is the one they refuse to release (Versus).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aureon posted:

The only thing constant about any new final fantasy is that people will bitch about it, and the bitching scales exponentially with the number of previous FFs they played.

That's because the new ones are never as good as the old ones. Or because the old ones aren't as good as the newer ones. Whichever way it goes.

[e]: I'm disappointed that they didn't stick with XIII's design more.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Spermando posted:

Still psyched for the game, but that outfit is bleh. Her original outfit was excellent, in XIII.