Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
The real reason that we started our own studio revealed:

quote:

if you cant sneak the odd knob joke in a press release then whats the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Mega Shark posted:

I think that the Games Industry regards itself as special. I was from "the outside" but I hear about all the terrible Producers that came up from within the Industry and how terrible they are. A good Project Manager should assess how his team/teams work and then build off of the good things they do and work on correcting the bad. Sure, there are unique things with how you have to schedule and the blend of very talented people.

That being said, I would be willing to bet that a lot of what people hate about Producers would be fixed if major publishers stopped the QA->Production chain as if it made sense. Sure, if someone from QA appears to really, really have their stuff together, promote them. Unfortunately, even from the tons of QA->Production people I know, they all knew they were at the bottom of the barrel and the only way to move up was to go to Production. Given that scenario, I'd rather have someone fresh who can think outside of the box. Implicit knowledge of an organization because you've worked there in an entirely different department gives you know advantage as a Producer unless you have other skills necessary to being one.

Do I think that being a Senior Software Engineer before I became a Project Manager and then Producer helps me? Yes. Though more often than not it is because just because I can jump in and help where there might be gaps. I do have a body of knowledge that helps me deal with the Programmers. I'd say what helps me most is my great working relationship with our Lead Gameplay Programmer and Technical Director. Anyone could have this regardless of their background.

TL;DR:

I think the Industry is too insular and based on my experience should look more at bringing in outside Producers that actually know how to communicate, plan and be effective.

EDIT: Hope this didn't come across as a rant, it wasn't meant as such. Just a sharing of thoughts from my experience since it's a bit unique.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.
Hey there,

I haven't seen any Marketing, PR, or Community Management chatter going on here so I don't know if I'll be able to regularly contribute to this thread unless some lurkers have been hiding burning questions about those fields of work. If anyone does though, I'd be happy to chat about them.

I have noticed, over several pages, people chatting about looking for a new job in design, production, project management, etc. So I figured I'd drop a few links to jobs we (Amazon.com Game Services and Amazon.com Game Studios) have open. Let me know if you have any questions about them and I'll do my best to answer, or run down answers.

Business Team Technical Roles

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/200147/technical-program-manager---amazon-game-services/job - This is a Technical Program Manager role working on projects that they'd discuss in the interview with you (forward looking stuff). This one is on the team I work on so I can definitely provide insight into team culture, etc.

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/201091/sr-product-manager%2c-digital-games/job?mode=job - This job is both on the team I work on and in my specific business group. I can tell you it is the most enjoyable team at Amazon :).

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/201411/lead-visual-designer-amazon.com%2c-vxd/job?mode=job - This is a visual design role. Alot of the stuff these guys are working on is forward looking.

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/19...net&iisn=Indeed - Another Technical Program Manager role

Studio Side Roles

This team is in my org but I'd have to ask questions to get more specifics about each job.

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/200223/sr.-bi-engineer%2c-amazon-game-studios/job?mode=job - BI Engineer role

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/200224/sr.-game-designer%2c-amazon-game-studios/job?mode=job - Game designer role

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/192497/game-designer%2c-amazon-game-studios/job?mode=job&iis=Advertisement-Internet&iisn=Indeed - Game Designer role

https://us-amazon.icims.com/jobs/153771/sr.-marketing-manager-%2528mobile-games%2529/job?mode=job&iis=Advertisement-Internet&iisn=Indeed - This would be my counterpart in the studio, I work on the retail side.

Hope this is helpful, if not let me know so I don't post useless stuff in your thread.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Does anyone work in the game industry and actually have time to have a life outside of work? Like hang out with family, etc.

I'm not at all interesting in getting into the industry or anything, but the horror stories make me wonder.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Sexpansion posted:

Does anyone work in the game industry and actually have time to have a life outside of work? Like hang out with family, etc.

I'm not at all interesting in getting into the industry or anything, but the horror stories make me wonder.

My job has directly led to the breakup of my relationship and not in the way you might think. Hope to go into it in more detail soon.

We're still great friends though and live together.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Monster w21 Faces posted:

My job has directly led to the breakup of my relationship and not in the way you might think. Hope to go into it in more detail soon.

We're still great friends though and live together.

Did you let her die in Diablo 3?

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

Sexpansion posted:

I do but there are some caveats:

1. I'm a 27 year old single guy, so my level of actual commitment to things outside of work is extremely variable.

2. I am not on the production side, I am on the business/marketing side. This doesn't mean I'm not up often up at 5:00AM working (hello Saturday night-Sunday morning!), but I don't have the regular sprint cycles that the content folks do.

3. I moved across the country, from Florida to Seattle, to take a job in the industry, so my family and all my closest friends live thousands of miles away.

4. I've been lucky enough to work at 2 companies in the industry that really value their employees personal lives and encourage the people that work for them to live the way they want to live. I've also been lucky enough to work on teams with people I became/have become very close friends with, so alot of the time I'm hanging out recreation ally with those I work with. This makes it easier to transition from being at a concert to "something has broken and we must fix it" mode.

5. We have a ping pong table 3 feet from my desk.

That's just my 2 cents.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Horror stories aren't the norm, luckily! I mostly manage to have time to have a life - whether or not I actually do have a life is debatable but I certainly have the time. I don't think I'm that much of an outlier.

[edit]

concerned mom posted:

Did you let her die in Diablo 3?
No lie, one of the worst fights I had with my ex was when he tried to teach me Starcraft and instead beat me mercilessly with invisible space marines or something. I had no idea what was going on :argh:

(That's not why I broke up with him though)

floofyscorp fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 17, 2012

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

Very much so.

We actually have an opposite problem at our studio where the more hardcore guys don't use their vacation, so our owner's wife ends up scheduling group ski trips / etc. just to get them to get away from work for awhile.

As we've grown it's become more mature and family friendly, but for awhile I was one of the few people who flew home across country to see family around the holidays, which was very strange indeed.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Sexpansion posted:

Outside of peaks during crunch for ~2 weeks once or twice a year, I've been doing 8-9am to 6-7pm pretty regularly since 2002 (before that, I was in the "yay games! gonna sleep at my desk! Woo!" camp). During crunch, it might go up to 12h days or add in a Saturday/Sunday to the mix.

So yes, the life outside of work is plentiful.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Absolutely, I almost always have fun/special things planned every weekend with my family. I have five kids and a wife and even when things get busy we always have things planned, we just plan them at different times around my schedule.

Even in the busy times I'm never under any pressure to not show up to my kid's holiday school play or things like that.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Sexpansion posted:

Uh, yes - very much so. Well, sometimes we do stay longer, like up to 9-10 pm to play board games. Apart from that it's pretty much just your regular 8 hours a day job.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

floofyscorp posted:

No lie, one of the worst fights I had with my ex was when he tried to teach me Starcraft and instead beat me mercilessly with invisible space marines or something. I had no idea what was going on :argh:
I will never forget the immortal words spoken to him during a particularly hectic session of Chu Chu Rocket:

:geno: "I don't love losers"

:gonk:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 17, 2012

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

floofyscorp posted:

Oh man. We started our closed beta on Wednesday(so excited!) and we already have a YouTube video rant from a Transformers fan about how terrible our game is and how he's boycotting us :allears:

This will never grow old.

Except when it does... and you want them to stop.

please god make them stop

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

On my first job I never had to work overtime a single time in a year and a half. On my current job I've had to do it a few times, but nothing terrible.

That said, I had a friend who had to work overtime for months straight, so I guess it depends on the company.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
First internship was pretty bleh, with me coming at 8 and leaving at around 9-10pm for four months, because I had to juggle my assistant producer workload plus that of another producer's who left shortly before I arrived. At least it was an amazing learning experience.

Second internship was great. Stayed late... to play games, often.

First job was bleh again, with a ton of work due to working against insane deadlines with an understaffed team.

Current job is awesome. Better to push back a release/milestone a little bit than burn out the team if it's going to require too much sustained crunch.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You guys are lucky only having to do that for a short while, I did that for a year and a half with no end in sight. Try not to work on MMOs, they are terribly soul draining, expectations are high and deadlines are short.

I'm starting to get hardcore back into personal art. Doing some mobile assets is pretty enjoyable, not having to create like 10 different texture maps helps quite a bit. Freelance is going easy breezy too :D

ceebee fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 17, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Ceebee: Probably the most useful thing I learned out of my mobile development experience was how to work with Vector layers inside photoshop. It got to the point that entire character bone sprite sets would be drawn up solely with vector colour/gradient layers, mainly because there was such a need to be able to edit, recolour and rescale our way-above-pixel-level sprites.

All photoshop vectors, not a single hand drawn pixel remained :goleft:

EDIT: Oh what the gently caress I forgot to put Safe Sex Frank on there as well :C

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 17, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aliginge posted:

Ceebee: Probably the most useful thing I learned out of my mobile development experience was how to work with Vector layers inside photoshop. It got to the point that entire character bone sprite sets would be drawn up solely with vector colour/gradient layers, mainly because there was such a need to be able to edit, recolour and rescale our way-above-pixel-level sprites.

All photoshop vectors, not a single hand drawn pixel remained :goleft:

EDIT: Oh what the gently caress I forgot to put Safe Sex Frank on there as well :C
I get that there was drama over the comedy, blah blah, but - dude. Your stuff on the game was great. I love the look of it. Definitely want to see safe-sex frank.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I need to get used to that pen tool thingamajigger. I dig that style man, I hope you find something soon :D

I got top row'd on CGHub a couple days ago. Really surprised how much people looked at my work. Kinda hit a small goal I had in my career...didn't think it would've happened for my first job. Pretty cool to think about :D

http://oi45.tinypic.com/o5zznm.jpg Big thumbnail farthest to the right.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 17, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I get that there was drama over the comedy, blah blah, but - dude. Your stuff on the game was great. I love the look of it. Definitely want to see safe-sex frank.
Thanks, but Akuma and his wife were the real brains behind the best bits of the project and I believe the writing partnership we had with one of the writers on Naked Gun 33.3r, really hurt the comedy. Every time our version of the Naked Gun script went back for approval, it was changed in some completely stupid, inappropriate and unfunny way. Supposedly because all Americans are idiots and won't get subtle jokes, we don't buy that idea at all. Arrested Development is proof. :colbert:

I particularly recall the dream sequence proposed which involved sausages flying at Frank's face because he's secretly gay or something, isn't that terribly funny? :ssh: We flatly blocked that one with a "No, that's stupid, we're not doing that. :geno:"

Akuma no doubt has plenty of tales to tell. :)

also, Safe Sex Frank

Our CEOs idea that costume, credit where it's due :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 17, 2012

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Thanks, but Akuma and his wife were the real brains behind the best bits of the project

I think they might still have my copy of the films and all. :argh:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aliginge posted:

Thanks, but Akuma and his wife were the real brains behind the best bits of the project and I believe the writing partnership we had with one of the writers on Naked Gun 33.3r, really hurt the comedy. Every time our version of the Naked Gun script went back for approval, it was changed in some completely stupid, inappropriate and unfunny way.
I can't comment as to the nature of the relationship, but having anything whatsoever to do with Naked Gun 33 1/3rd - ouch. That was... uh, not a good one.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SnafuAl posted:

I think they might still have my copy of the films and all. :argh:
Holy poo poo, they're on my shelf! PM me your address and I'll send them over! Sorry, dude.

Shalinor posted:

I can't comment as to the nature of the relationship, but having anything whatsoever to do with Naked Gun 33 1/3rd - ouch. That was... uh, not a good one.
So we'll have him grab the lady, yeah? And slam her up against the wall! And then he'll touch her up at gunpoint. Violent molestations are funny, right? Right? I know I'm aroused.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 17, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Akuma posted:

So we'll have him grab the lady, yeah? And slam her up against the wall! And then he'll touch her up at gunpoint. Violent molestations are funny, right? Right? I know I'm aroused.

In case anyone was unsure, this was literally one of the suggestions the guy made.

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

It's always been good except (spot the link with my last post) when we have had producers or similar people who were either incredibly keen on 'pressure as a motivator' or just wanted the directors to be happy at the expense of the designers and coders. Other than that, as much as you can expect in any job in similar industries (I worked in computer security for a few years and it was pretty equivalent in number of times extra hours appeared.)

I think we hear about the bad guys disproportionately just because the effect when it is shockingly bad is upon a whole studio, whereas a good work hours regime feels so natural that noone is inspired to talk about it. I'm currently incredibly happy with the producers I work with - they are solely interested in making time scheduling work effectively and very good at deflecting requests from anyone not supposed to be allocating work but with delusions that they can get away with sneaking in their pet projects. If I am doing overtime I know who messed up - it was me, which alleviaters the sadness somewhat.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Sexpansion posted:

Yes, certainly. I have a wife and three kids, play hockey several times a week, maintain both of our family vehicles myself, seed one of the best lawns in the neighborhood, and still find time to post on a message board. I've been in the industry for over 7 years, worked at nothing but large studios, and I've only worked one crunch day ever. It's not to say that I don't put in a few extra hours on occasion in the mornings, but I do that on my own terms.

I realize that I'm probably an anomaly in this regard, but I've maintained a strict ethic because it's important to me, important to my wife and children, and because I can be really effective at my role in a normal time frame. This decision has never hampered my upward mobility, and in some cases, it's actually strengthened it. It's meant that I stay happy, which in turn makes me very productive. When I became a lead, it meant that my team stays happy, which keeps them high-functioning. It becomes cyclical when I use this same productivity to keep my team well-scheduled, ensuring that we don't make promises that we can't keep, or a promise that will require many additional hours to fulfill. I understand that there are a lot of people out there who work long hours, quite a few get recognized for it, and even more that don't. I don't begrudge people that work more than a regular day, but I do take issue with studios that make it part of a mandatory schedule. It's rampant through the industry, and I've been careful to work at places that don't make it a habit.

I remember when I got my very first job, and a week into it, I started to panic, thinking that I was really behind. I confessed to a coworker that I was thinking of coming in on the weekend to get caught up, and he mentioned something that I'll never forget. He told me that even though I could come in and work more, that my bosses would be even more impressed if I could use the time that I had to get the work done, instead of having it spill over into extra hours. I'm really glad he said that to me, because it forever changed my outlook. (Thanks pewp.)

Small blurb mentioning that I've worked for EA-owned studios for virtually all 7 years.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Mega Shark posted:

TL;DR:

I think the Industry is too insular and based on my experience should look more at bringing in outside Producers that actually know how to communicate, plan and be effective.

I agree with the idea that the industry is too insular. Exclusive and elitist, even.

If you have the talent to be a good project manager in general, then you have the right talent to be a game producer. But I don't buy that generic project management skills/talent are enough. You really need the experience of multiple software development shipping cycles under your belt. Seeing what works and what doesn't, what kinds of problems crop up, what all the roles are and how their work interrelates, understanding a number of technical issues, etc. I agree that QA is not an ideal hiring pool as they are kind of observers in a way rather than full participants. But I'd still rather have a good internal on-site QA person promoted to junior producer than bring in a project manager from the widget building company. Better is to move a developer over, but devs who want to become producers (and have the right skill set) are less common. A software project manager from the non-games software world, who has a demonstrable passion for and understanding of games in general, is also a good bet I think.

devilmouse posted:

A day late to this, but catch!

Impact of Office Design on Employees’ Productivity: A Case study of Banking Organizations of Abbottabad, Pakistan
Should health service managers embrace open plan work environments?
Room acoustics and work performance - experimental study in a full-scale open-plan office laboratory (Do a search for that title... the PDF has a lot of different articles from a conference.)

Basically, offices are better for work that requires concentration and longer tasks, while open spaces can be better for lots of small high-interaction tasks. Some people in games probably have the latter, so the argument can be made.

I loved our "breakout" rooms (to the point where one was referred as my office). People probably have to get over the stigma of being a "loner"/misanthropist and embrace the quiet room.

Good stuff, thanks.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Akuma posted:

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk: There are no words...

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Akuma posted:

Holy poo poo, they're on my shelf! PM me your address and I'll send them over! Sorry, dude.

Will do, no hurry.

Akuma posted:

Yeah, I remember you telling me about that one. Was this the same guy who had a complete aversion to any pun-based name gags like the ones the first Naked Gun film and the Police Squad series did so well? I seem to recall a lot of the funny one-liners being stripped out by his revisions.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anybody in the thread at Sony Santa Monica?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Aaaaand its gone:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/thq-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-shares-halted-2012-12-19?link=MW_latest_news

THQ filing for bankruptcy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bankruptcy is far from dissolution. Kmart's gone bankrupt like 3 times. That's a "technically" kind of statement though.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mutata posted:

Bankruptcy is far from dissolution. Kmart's gone bankrupt like 3 times. That's a "technically" kind of statement though.

I've even heard people refer to Chapter 11 as a tactic.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Not great for their public image or share price, when they sell again, though is it!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
They already sold, to a private equity company. I'm not a bankruptcy attorney but I assume they filed Ch. 11 instead of Ch. 7 because they're not so badly off that it is unrecoverable. What would typically happen is that the private equity firm will reorganize everything, shift management around, put their people in, and start identifying what they can sell off to create a financially healthy company and pay some of their debts. Then, when it looks in better shape (usually 5 years, but sometimes less) they'll sell the company. For THQ I'd expect there's going to be cancellations and significant layoffs (including firings of middle and senior management on the corporate side) and they'll shutter some of their studio assets.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/19/thq-files-for-bankruptcy-assets-sold-to-investor-clearlake/

Jason has also been saying on Twitter and Facebook that all major titles are on track.

quote:

Sure you've heard the big news for @THQ. Commitment from Clearlake Capital to buy the business. Major step in securing financial future.

On track for big releases. Busy schedule ahead. @Companyheroes, @MetroVideoGame, @SouthPark #StickofTruth still on schedule

Thanks for all the support. And yes #SaintsRow sequel, @CrytekGmbH #Homefront Sequel, and other future titles still in works

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
not sure how many studios there are left to shutter.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Adraeus posted:

I've even heard people refer to Chapter 11 as a tactic.

You've heard Donald Trump speak then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Sion posted:

You've heard Donald Trump speak then?

Assuming you actually have enough money to pay creditors *and* restructure, it can be a powerful fat cutting tool, especially in middle/upper management