Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
E: Whoa, new page. Well then, have a quote:

leica posted:

If there are other jobs available I would high tail it out of there. Either that or ask for a higher hourly wage since the owner expects you to basically manage the bar.

I already have 2 other jobs actually, this was just supposed to be something part time, possibly moving more to full time depending on how it looked. I am likely going to give the owner a call tonight and let her know I won't be showing up for any further shifts; hopefully they pay me for the hours I have worked but if not I guess that's the cost of getting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

JawKnee posted:

E: Whoa, new page. Well then, have a quote:

I already have 2 other jobs actually, this was just supposed to be something part time, possibly moving more to full time depending on how it looked. I am likely going to give the owner a call tonight and let her know I won't be showing up for any further shifts; hopefully they pay me for the hours I have worked but if not I guess that's the cost of getting out.

Yes. Go. Unless they are going to pay you a billion dollars (read: an hourly wage at least 20% higher than whatever you would be as just a bartender) when they inevitably ask you to stay, just carry on.

As for myself, I've got a departure date in mind, but I just need to find the right spots that I'd like to move on to. Or the right friend to ask for an in!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
In the middle of opening and I can really do without the panic attacks, thanks.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Hey Bartenders.

I've been drinking beer for about 15 years and it's making me fat. I like alcohol and would like to continue drinking it but in a less calorific manor. I'd also like to know a bit more about basic mixing of drinks.

I already like neat single malt whisky, and would like to know more about gin (Gordon's - should I get some Hendrick's next?). I've been drinking gin, soda water and lemon juice so far. I've grated some lemon zest into that and it makes it more awesome.

What else should I look at doing? Simple things would be best, but I am more than willing to buy other mixers and ingredients. I'm a chef so I can deal with technical stuff. I'd like to add coriander to my gin, soda and lemon, how should I do this? I have one and a half weeks off coming up and I would like to spend it drunk. Tell me what drinks to mix with what things bartenders?

I'm willing to try most things, though super sweet drinks don't really do it for me.

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 17, 2012

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm not sure how well it would work, but you could try infusing some gin with coriander seeds, just soak some in gin for a while and see how it comes out.

Also Gordon's to Hendricks is quite a jump, but if you're mixing it with subtle stuff (as in not citrusy juices) then higher tier gin is entirely appropriate.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Hey Bartenders.

I've been drinking beer for about 15 years and it's making me fat. I like alcohol and would like to continue drinking it but in a less calorific manor. I'd also like to know a bit more about basic mixing of drinks.

I already like neat single malt whisky, and would like to know more about gin (Gordon's - should I get some Hendrick's next?). I've been drinking gin, soda water and lemon juice so far. I've grated some lemon zest into that and it makes it more awesome.

What else should I look at doing? Simple things would be best, but I am more than willing to buy other mixers and ingredients. I'm a chef so I can deal with technical stuff. I'd like to add coriander to my gin, soda and lemon, how should I do this? I have one and a half weeks off coming up and I would like to spend it drunk. Tell me what drinks to mix with what things bartenders?

I'm willing to try most things, though super sweet drinks don't really do it for me.

You might find this of interest, cribbed from YLLS:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Ted Ed Fred posted:

I have one and a half weeks off coming up and I would like to spend it drunk.

What a coincidence, I have one and a half weeks on coming up, and I too would like to spend it drunk.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009

Ted Ed Fred posted:

I've been drinking gin, soda water and lemon juice so far. I've grated some lemon zest into that and it makes it more awesome.

Just a quick suggestion, I would squeeze the oil from the lemon's (or lime's) rhind in instead of zesting it. I always feel that something that fine in a drink does nothing but clog a straw or get stuck in your teeth.
Cut off a nice wide strip of the lemon's skin off, cutting off as much of the white pith as possible. Then just twist or squeeze it over the drink to spray its oils all over the drink. It will smell and taste far more intense than simply using zest or juice.
This is basically what "with a twist" is in things like Martinis.

Also the obvious next thing to try is whether you like your gin with tonic instead of soda.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
RE woundchat, I use a trick the joiners in my bar taught me- superglue. Glue that cut, stick the skin together. You can do your job, don't pick at it, and in a few days it'll fall off in a clump and your skin should be healed.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Some slight differences in chemical composition, but NuSkin, Liquid Skin, etc. and cyanoacrylate super glues are functionally identical. No first aid kit should be without 'em.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

RE woundchat, I use a trick the joiners in my bar taught me- superglue. Glue that cut, stick the skin together. You can do your job, don't pick at it, and in a few days it'll fall off in a clump and your skin should be healed.

This is also acceptable (the glue they occasionally use to close wounds in surgery is cyanoacrylate (sp?) based) but be aware that if you mong it up on a large cut you will be making a scar for yourself. Also in surgery they clean out the inside of the wound well before closing it for obvious reasons.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
All are cyanoacrylate esters that polymerize when exposed to traces of water. However, superglue is usually ethyl cyanoacrylate whilst the last bottle of FDA-approved wound-glue that I looked at had octyl cyanoacrylate. The longer alkyl chain makes less of it dissolve into the bloodstream during polymerization and slows the polymerization rate, making it heat up less. Both of these are good things. I also agree with sheep-goats that putting superglue over a wound that hasn't been cleaned out well is an excellent way to end up with an infection. Fortunately, you've got a source of flowing water, towels, alcohol for disinfection after washing (finally, a use for Absolut!), and lime and salt if you're into scarification rituals.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The goon above mentioned single malt whiskeys, but I can't think of a time when I heard of any other variation. What are the different kinds and what are the differences? Or is it just a single malt versus a blend thing?

Also, I'm not a guy who likes to drink, so this very often makes me a bad customer. I'll usually play DD for friends, so I'm mostly drinking sodas, and that brings me to ask about tipping. Is it bad form to tip at the end of drinking for a night, or should I tip per drink? And is it percentage based like most other service industries, or should it be a flat dollar or two per drink?

Not trying to start a tipping vs not debate, just the best practices for those that choose to do so.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Single malt has a meaning but for most people it just means "not blended and more expensive." Scotch fags say the single malt aspect lets you enjoy the terrior of the place the stuff going into the malt came from. Of course a good blend could do that too, however usually blendmasters are at work producing something that tastes of nothing rather than something really unique, so the opinions out there are at least somewhat valid. The differences can be explained as quickly as I've explained them here or you could get a BA in them and write an undergrad thesis.

Tip a buck for each soda you get when you get it. Many of your friends will say this is excessive but it's what I do when I'm out not-drinking so it's not grossly excessive. The normalest way to tip: tip a buck per drink each time you get a drink or round (so a round of five drinks is a five dollar tip). If you have a tab you tip around 20% at the end. If you're in a place with expensive drinks (more than ten bucks each) you should probably tip two per drink each time you get a drink, or, again, 20% on a tab at the end. If the service is bad you don't have to tip, but "bad" on a Tuesday afternoon is not the same as "bad" on a Saturday night.

If you're in a situation where for whatever reason the bartender gave you half the bar for nothing tip around half of the money he saved you. Often this will be close to 50% of the bill. This will usually only happen to you if you're out with industry people.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 20, 2012

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Masonity posted:

A Christmas party in December? Are you crazy?

Ours will be in mid January when the trade drops off.

Luckily we are closed Sunday and Monday!

I always enjoyed the vodka fresh lime soda when I'm trying to cut the cals, not super exciting but it does the job.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

CzarChasm posted:

The goon above mentioned single malt whiskeys, but I can't think of a time when I heard of any other variation. What are the different kinds and what are the differences? Or is it just a single malt versus a blend thing?

Also, I'm not a guy who likes to drink, so this very often makes me a bad customer. I'll usually play DD for friends, so I'm mostly drinking sodas, and that brings me to ask about tipping. Is it bad form to tip at the end of drinking for a night, or should I tip per drink? And is it percentage based like most other service industries, or should it be a flat dollar or two per drink?

Not trying to start a tipping vs not debate, just the best practices for those that choose to do so.

I read in the last thread that in general unless you are running a tab, it's one buck for drinks under 10 bucks, two dollars for drinks above that.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

The Slippery Nipple posted:

As an aussie I'm curious what the average wage is for us bartenders?

The going rate is around 20-21 an hour (in NSW anyways). Plus "casual loading" if you work at night (lol), time and a quarter when you work on Saturday (usually around 23-24) and time and a half on Sundays (26-27). Sexy stuff!

Public Holidays? Double time and a half! 50 an hour! Crazy!

Kial fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 21, 2012

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009

Kial posted:

The going rate is around 20-21 an hour (in NSW anyways). Plus "casual loading" if you work at night (lol), time and a quarter when you work on Saturday (usually around 23-24) and time and a half on Sundays (26-27). Sexy stuff!

Public Holidays? Double time and a half! 50 an hour! Crazy!
This is very true for hotels in QLD but not so much for clubs, I've worked one bar that paid award and double time and all that jazz but most of time you're looking at 20-22p/h. When I was managing I was only on 25. You don't bartend for the money, you tend for the stories and the love of it.

New Years, what are you guys planning to do? Most of us will be working but is there something special you're doing? All the bar staff at the current joint are planning on jumping up on the backbar, grabbing a bottle of their favourite and going a big old layback. I'm going to bring in my brûlée torch and some spiritus and let out a big fireball on the dot of 12. I know our backbacks read this thread a fair bit, so don't tell boss man!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Coldfire posted:

New Years, what are you guys planning to do? Most of us will be working but is there something special you're doing? All the bar staff at the current joint are planning on jumping up on the backbar, grabbing a bottle of their favourite and going a big old layback. I'm going to bring in my brûlée torch and some spiritus and let out a big fireball on the dot of 12. I know our backbacks read this thread a fair bit, so don't tell boss man!

Staying home with a bottle of Champagne and the GF. Might go to a party or something, but bartending really removed any desire I used to have to actually go out to a bar on nights like NYE, St. Paddy's Day, etc.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

CzarChasm posted:

If you are the DD, you are doing everyone who works in the bar a favor by making sure they don't get fistfucked by Dram Shop laws. Come in, order as many sodas or waters as you like, and if you feel like it, tip the bartender decent. I wish there were more people who did this, Usually it's two drunk guys arguing over who is less drunk so they can figure out who drives.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coldfire posted:

I'm going to bring in my brûlée torch and some spiritus and let out a big fireball on the dot of 12. I know our backbacks read this thread a fair bit, so don't tell boss man!

Dex? If this is you and you're planning on this I want in.

I assume we are the only bar in qld with plural goon barbacks that keep up with this thread so apologies if I'm wrong.

Btw looking back on my idea of putting sugar on wounds, it definitely sounds a lot dumber sober than it did drunk, although its still pretty effective, but yeah any cut deep enough to struggle with citrus juice and NGA is almost certainly deep enough to get infected anyway so uh, thank y'all for pointing out how dumb that was

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 21, 2012

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

If you are the DD, you are doing everyone who works in the bar a favor by making sure they don't get fistfucked by Dram Shop laws. Come in, order as many sodas or waters as you like, and if you feel like it, tip the bartender decent. I wish there were more people who did this, Usually it's two drunk guys arguing over who is less drunk so they can figure out who drives.

This. Also, if you're the DD tell the bartender you are. Then tip a buck per drink especially since they shouldn't be charging you at this point.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Had an impromptu Christmas party last night, ie. we all just decided to get hosed up, crank terrible pop and dance like retards. One of the waitresses puked in a bin. Sometimes I love my job.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Why are top shelf single malt scotches so expensive at bars? I'm looking at $15 per drink. A 750cc bottle costs like $80 and you can get 16 45cc servings. What's up with the 300% markup?

Edit: Just yesterday I overheard a bartender in Boston complain about making $25 after working a double shift. $16 after she paid for her parking. Why do you guys do this poo poo job?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 23, 2012

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Profits, man. I'm sure that complex distillation methods in some ancient former abbey and transcontinental shipping costs factor in, but I've always seen the markup as one of those "why not?" things. It's the same reason that Goose bottle service gets even more astronomical markups at clubs - people are going to pay for it so what the hell.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 23, 2012

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why are top shelf single malt scotches so expensive at bars? I'm looking at $15 per drink. A 750cc bottle costs like $80 and you can get 16 45cc servings. What's up with the 300% markup?

Edit: Just yesterday I overheard a bartender in Boston complain about making $25 after working a double shift. $16 after she paid for her parking. Why do you guys do this poo poo job?

Depends on the bar, but standard percentage target for liquor cost (i.e. cost of product / price you sell it for) is around 15%-20%. That bottle of scotch will sell at the bar for a combined $240, so at $80 cost, it's 33% liquor cost. That's on the high end, and means a shot of that scotch is actually cheap in bar terms, but the bar tolerates a higher liquor cost because it is a more expensive product that moves more slowly.

You notice the scotch more because of the sticker price, but compare it to your basic cheap well liquor. A bottle of Taaka/McCormick/whatever generic well vodka will cost $4-5/wholesale, and the bar will sell a shot of it for $4-5 too. That's a much higher markup, but people don't notice it because the $4-5 price tag is considered cheap in absolute terms.

Markups are so high because bars and restaurants have a lot of overhead to cover without much room for profit. When you pay an inflated price for a shot of liquor, you're also helping the bar cover rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, labor, payroll, merchant services, and all the other nickel and dime costs that make bars difficult to run. After all, when you go to a bar and drink, you're not just paying for the liquor, you're paying for the crowd, ambience, and staff, and those things cost money to maintain.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I miss working in a club and being able to give smart rear end reply to those, "what the hell man I can buy x booze at the liquor store for a fraction of that and drink it at home!"

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Eesh, that page is full of stuff that's the opposite of truth

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Eesh, that page is full of stuff that's the opposite of truth

Care to elaborate?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Drinking and hitting the gym combine very poorly. You don't need any studies to realise that.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Bear in mind that higher shelf liquor moves way slower as well and that bottle of scotch might sit there for months before it makes its profit. A bar with a good scotch collection that doesn't have massive overheads is probably haemorrhaging cash

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Care to elaborate?

Agreed, want to elaborate? I thought drinking in moderation has time and time again been proven to have health benefits, most of the stuff in that webpage doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

an skeleton posted:

Agreed, want to elaborate? I thought drinking in moderation has time and time again been proven to have health benefits, most of the stuff in that webpage doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

Drinking wine in moderation has been said to be healthy in a number of studies, however the current thought is that those studies suffered from selection bias. Basically, the kind of person who can generally afford to drink a glass of wine per day can also afford to eat healthier food in general, and can afford better medical care, particularly preventative.

This doesn't mean that drinking wine is absolutely unhealthy, just that the studies haven't accounted for those variables and further study is needed.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't read that whole article but it's christmas and ive already worked 12 hours so sue me. From the bit at the start that I saw, it looked like the guy was advocating drinking and getting swole. ish.

There's a pretty loving big difference between drinking regularly/going out to drink socially, and drinking ONE glass of wine. All of the studies that I've heard of point to one single glass of wine per day, and even some mention ONE beer per day as well as being beneficial to your health.

There is a MASSIVE difference between ONE glass of wine or beer, and the type of drinking lifestyle that most people associate "drinking" with. The gap is even bigger when it comes to the amount of alcohol that us bartenders casually consume. I've had to fill out questionaires in doctors offices before that lead me to, ok, so I drink maybe one or two drinks a night at work, + casual drinks... ok uhhh, carry the one.... uhhh, ok so maybe I guess.... lets see... 30 drinks per week? as a super conservative guess, not including nights out and special occasions....

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE AN ALCOHOLIC!!!

Lets not confuse the health benefits of drinking ONE glass of wine/beer per day, with going out and getting hammered while you're trying to get in shape, because they aren't even in the same ball park. And just on the off chance that I completely missed the point of the entire article/agruement by not even reading it, then.... MERRY CHRISTMAS! I love you bartender thrade

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I think you (and that other guy) did miss the point of the article, but that's ok.

This is an awesome thread and shouldn't be derailed by a discussion of alcohol thermogenesis anyway.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.
Germans have been known to enjoy a shandy (light beer mixed with either lemon-lime soda, seltzer with citrus, or a sour mixture) after workouts, and they have been proven to replenish lost nutrients (protein from the beer, carbs from the mix).

But I would say most people that frequent this thread are want to say moderation is key, to most anything. :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvWKL_yk5M

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
As I no longer bartend, I would like to extend my condolences to everyone that has to work tonight. New Year's aka Amateur Eve is probably the shittiest night to have to work in a bar.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Happy 2013 to everybody that had to stay sober for an arbitrary amount of time that ended as soon as they were the least sober person in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I saw my boss sabre a magnum of Moët,missing my head by an inch, and the greenest bartender blow a loving fireball over the dance floor gently caress you 2012

• Locked thread