Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Seath invented sorcery. It was part of his attempt to become immortal, because he lacked the Scales of Immortality.

EDIT: Seath is a real dragon. He is explicitly referred to as one of the "ancient dragons". He was just born with no scales for some reason.

The whole origin of the Everlasting Dragons is never addressed, nor what the original Lord's Souls or what Gwyn/Witch/Nito are.

Pyromancy is apparently derived from an attempt to create a flame from a soul, which had horrific consequences, but somehow comes off as a more pure and natural magic compared to sorcery or miracles.

Sorcery is all based around 'soul' attacks. I'm not sure if its got some sinister undertones but it comes off as a refined method of magic.

Miracles, I don't really understand. The "gods" aren't well explained as figures of power other then Gwyn and his children. The mentions of other gods are pretty limited to Lautrec's beliefs. The whole point of 'faith' powering the miracles could mean its less a gift from a deity and unknowingly powered by the user

I'm hoping that Miyazaki wrote some enormous tome explaining all the in game lore and details and handed it over to the Dark Souls 2 director. Some people rave about the obscure world details and hidden information but I wasn't a huge fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Balobam posted:

Oh yeah, quick question, can the 60fps thing with DSfix be used now whilst online, or does it still have the potential for GFWL to just get all weird about it and kick/ban/whatever it does?

I've been using 60 fps since it has been possible and I haven't been banned yet. No major bugs either, except that I fall through the world if try to slide down the ladder before the first boar. All other ladders works fine though. :shrug:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

pentyne posted:

Miracles, I don't really understand. The "gods" aren't well explained as figures of power other then Gwyn and his children. The mentions of other gods are pretty limited to Lautrec's beliefs. The whole point of 'faith' powering the miracles could mean its less a gift from a deity and unknowingly powered by the user.

Miracles are performed by holding a piece of paper with the story of a god's exploits on it, and drawing power from that story through faith. It's why the background of miracles looks like a page from a book (because it is).

Just read the description of the Heal miracle. It says it outright.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 18, 2012

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There's also Great Heal Excerpt, which specifically says that it's only a few verses of the full tale of Great Heal, so it can't be cast as many times.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
After doing a whole bunch of gimmick runs, aside from doing an SL1 playthrough (which I really don't have the patience for) I'm now trying out a magic only run, started as a pyro, grabbed the sorceries from Rickert in New Londo and this has been very fun and challenging so far. (Beat the gargoyles, rescued the other sorcerer guy and just bought the ring)

Doing it in a black mage outfit (http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/234/) has made it all the more fun. :science: (Admittedly I admit I "added the clothing in at the beginning but the rest of the stuff has been untouched)

Also adding this beard mod (http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/236/) has made every male in the game manlier, as now everyone is suddenly grown a nice beard.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Tallgeese posted:

Seath invented sorcery. It was part of his attempt to become immortal, because he lacked the Scales of Immortality.

EDIT: Seath is a real dragon. He is explicitly referred to as one of the "ancient dragons". He was just born with no scales for some reason.

To elaborate, the only reason he's lived as long as he did is because he stole that crystal you destroy in his fight from the dragons when he betrayed them. It's implied that the crystal is more like the undead curse than the true immortality that the dragon's scales gives, it more prevents him from dying than actually keeping him alive. It's drove him more insane and ruthless because of it. It's one of the better explained parts because Big Hat is a very chatty man if you're smart enough.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I just spent about an hour in the Duke's Archives trying to figure out how do the hell do I do any damage to this Seath guy.

Then I gave up and checked a walkthrough.

:downsgun:

Am I a huge idiot or is this common?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just figured out where the large ember I missed was. Holy poo poo, I'm an idiot. Back to the depths...

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
My only major complaint with dark souls is that I can't use the Butchers offhand "weapon"

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I just spent about an hour in the Duke's Archives trying to figure out how do the hell do I do any damage to this Seath guy.

Then I gave up and checked a walkthrough.

:downsgun:

Am I a huge idiot or is this common?

I did the same, I got out the prison and headed right back, only to die again. Then I googled it wondering how the poo poo a melee guy was supposed to hit a dude like 10 metres away and found out he's immortal.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Really, they should have just made it so Seath pulled a lever or something and opened up a giant trapdoor underneath the arena that led to the cage; then when you get back to fight him he's just across this giant pit so it's an obvious "Hey, go elsewhere!" signal.

Plus Dark Souls should have more trapdoors so it works well that way too!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

After waking up in the prison, you can find your way back into that first boss room and have to fight the invincible Seath again? Huh, I guess I never really backtracked but I thought the room would be empty or something.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

This loving game! I finally finish my first playthrough after going into it blind. Took me 90 loving hours and ended up consulting the wiki after all - managed to miss quite a few bits even so. Probably the best gaming experience of my life.

I then decide to roll a low level dickwraith because, hey, it's supposed to be possible. Took me a while, but my SL 7 thief made it all the way to 4K where he basically ran out of enough DPS to compensate for my lack of dodging skills; had to go to SL11 to get enough spell slots to roast these wraith fuckers. Kinda regret it, I'd rather put points in END instead, but oh well. Everyone should do a low-level run, just because you get so much *better* at the game when you're no more than a couple of hits away from death most of the time.

And of course invading at the Parish with endgame gear is just hilarious, never mind that it's a heavy responsibility ringing that wonderful Dark Souls Experience to as many as possible. Plus you're secretly a force for good; the occasional loss costs the invader pretty much nothing and gives the host one humanity.

For more better, throw the game to a noob after bringing him down to a sliver of HP with your giant flaming spider leg. Then smile, knowing you've made someone literally fistpump.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

After waking up in the prison, you can find your way back into that first boss room and have to fight the invincible Seath again? Huh, I guess I never really backtracked but I thought the room would be empty or something.

Once you get to the end of the Crystal Cavern Seath swoops down to protect his crystal. The first room is empty after that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If you make it back without dying you can retrieve your bloodstain if you didn't use a Ring of Sacrifice. That fog door is the only one I know of that you can walk back out of.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

aendarasi posted:

This loving game! I finally finish my first playthrough after going into it blind. Took me 90 loving hours and ended up consulting the wiki after all - managed to miss quite a few bits even so. Probably the best gaming experience of my life.

I then decide to roll a low level dickwraith because, hey, it's supposed to be possible. Took me a while, but my SL 7 thief made it all the way to 4K where he basically ran out of enough DPS to compensate for my lack of dodging skills; had to go to SL11 to get enough spell slots to roast these wraith fuckers. Kinda regret it, I'd rather put points in END instead, but oh well. Everyone should do a low-level run, just because you get so much *better* at the game when you're no more than a couple of hits away from death most of the time.

And of course invading at the Parish with endgame gear is just hilarious, never mind that it's a heavy responsibility ringing that wonderful Dark Souls Experience to as many as possible. Plus you're secretly a force for good; the occasional loss costs the invader pretty much nothing and gives the host one humanity.

For more better, throw the game to a noob after bringing him down to a sliver of HP with your giant flaming spider leg. Then smile, knowing you've made someone literally fistpump.

The best is an sl1 dickwraith. Then you can punish the fools that go human in upper Undead Burg.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure SL11s can invade anyone.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Genocyber posted:

The best is an sl1 dickwraith. Then you can punish the fools that go human in upper Undead Burg.

The greatest feeling I've had playing this game was beating 4K last night with my SL1 pyromancer after many, many attempts. And now...

I've spent most of my invasions dropping shards and weapons for low level players in the Burg and Parish. I gave away tons of moss. I had a four minute duel for no other reason than the player was just trying his rear end off to not die, so I dropped my +5 fire battle axe for him, waved, and vanished. I'm creating prism stone patterns on the ground and running around like a maniac.

Except for the time I caught an afk by the undead merchant and sucked him dry of 5 liquid humanity before axing him in the back, I think I am doing dickwraithing wrong.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think the only way to do dickwraithing wrong is to lose to an actual beginner unintentionally. Everything else is just emergent gameplay.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Is it really worth making an SL1 Darkwraith to invade upper undead burg? On most of my low level invaders I usually just end up getting a hacker or another darkwraith. The latter usually makes for a challenging fight though.

I get better results and usually less hackers by invading the parish around level 20.

If I'm running an all magic build, is it worth pumping faith? Sorcery and Pyromancy have been really effective so far but it'd be pretty cool to throw some great lightning spear and have a WotG just in case. It's not like I really have anything to worry about aside from Vit and Int really.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
I honestly don't get SL1 invaders, what possible fun could you get out of 1-shotting dudes who've got no chance against you? Most I've seen don't even try to do anything funny or silly, they just run up to you and spam R1. Must be a real fun night you're having.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some people just like making others mad. I don't know why.

When I feel like I want to invade the parish or burg, I always use my darkwraith mini-boss build so that at least both parties can get some fun out of it. It's good because you have a lot of health but aren't too powerful, and they can still beat you in a fight pretty easy if you let your guard down.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Pretty sure SL11s can invade anyone.

Red invasions don't get the -10 levels. It's just your own and upwards.

CruzerZERO posted:

Is it really worth making an SL1 Darkwraith to invade upper undead burg? On most of my low level invaders I usually just end up getting a hacker or another darkwraith. The latter usually makes for a challenging fight though.

I get better results and usually less hackers by invading the parish around level 20.

I've been having fun doing it. Part of the fun is the variety of opponents you get. I usually just go in completely naked, and watch how they react. It's actually a great way to tell who's a newbie. Experienced players usually return the gesture and have a fistfight with me, or at least wait a while to see what I'm up to. But a new player will go "holy gently caress an invader kill it kill it" and attack on sight. Those are the best fights. I get to spend minutes just dodging and backstabbing them and watching as they fail at killing an unarmed, unarmored person who poses them no threat whatsoever.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

verybad posted:

I honestly don't get SL1 invaders, what possible fun could you get out of 1-shotting dudes who've got no chance against you? Most I've seen don't even try to do anything funny or silly, they just run up to you and spam R1. Must be a real fun night you're having.
What possible fun? Seriously? It's a right laugh, and I'd say if you've fought to get all the necessary kit to do it legitimately, you've earned the right to gank (and occasionally drop oodles of shards or weapons).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Hahaha I killed that guy in one hit with my fire shotel!! It must have scared the poo poo out of him! That'll teach him to go human and kindle bonfires! Welcome to Dark Souls noob!!! :mmmhmm:"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Chas McGill posted:

What possible fun? Seriously? It's a right laugh, and I'd say if you've fought to get all the necessary kit to do it legitimately, you've earned the right to gank (and occasionally drop oodles of shards or weapons).

I always end up leveling my low level guys because fighting noobs or just people who aren't twinked out is really boring.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

CJacobs posted:

"Hahaha I killed that guy in one hit with my fire shotel!! It must have scared the poo poo out of him! That'll teach him to go human and kindle bonfires! Welcome to Dark Souls noob!!! :mmmhmm:"

That fulfills a valuable Dark Souls learning niche - "Don't go human if you don't mean to!"

SL1 invasions are so much fun, because -

Everyone you invade is higher level than you. Sure, there are some lowbies who get super scared but it's fun to be nice to them, cheer when they kill the black knight (then kill them.) Everyone else is either hanging out with summoned buddies or doing ~honorable sl120~ combat.

The sheer fact that the game is balanced enough at low level that you can singlehandedly wipe out a team of a target +2 phantoms and barely survive yourself makes it fun.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just beat NG+ O&S solo, using a 2-handed Black Knight Greatsword (the whole BK set, in fact)

gently caress fighting them solo and with an ultra-slow weapon.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Yes, seriously, I don't see what possible enjoyment you could get from it. I don't enjoy it when I'm PvPing and encounter someone who I utterly destroy, it's just a loving boring chore. Shooting someone off the rafters in Anor Londo with a greatbow is funny, kicking them into a guillotine at Sen's fortress is hilarious, blocking the boss fogdoor with your fat rear end while dressed up as Smough is hysterical... Just doing standard PvP with a completely overpowering character is unimaginative and boring.

Angryhead posted:

Just beat NG+ O&S solo, using a 2-handed Black Knight Greatsword (the whole BK set, in fact)

gently caress fighting them solo and with an ultra-slow weapon.

I haven't done it in NG+, but I did beat them with a greatsword while medium rolling, and I thought it was easy. You can stagger them with a running attack, so whenever they're winding up for a scary attack, you can just smash them in the face to stop them. Or does it not work in NG+?

verybad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 18, 2012

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Low level dickwraiths only add to the atmosphere of the game. I feel like a guy employed at a haunted house when I'm doing it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You say "don't go human if you don't mean to" like the person has a choice in the matter when they want to kindle bonfires. "So what, if they didn't want to be invaded they could just kill themselves after they kindle" isn't good gameplay advice to anyone at all.

Show me someone who's a "nice" SL1 invader that isn't doing a gimmick and I'll show you someone that's the equivalent of a five year old pretending he's a sleepy angel after stealing from the cookie jar.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

CJacobs posted:

You say "don't go human if you don't mean to" like the person has a choice in the matter when they want to kindle bonfires. "So what, if they didn't want to be invaded they could just kill themselves after they kindle" isn't good gameplay advice to anyone at all.

Show me someone who's a "nice" SL1 invader that isn't doing a gimmick and I'll show you someone that's the equivalent of a five year old pretending he's a sleepy angel after stealing from the cookie jar.

:darksouls:

Jump off a bridge after kindling I guess?

Am I sensing you have been ganked personally by a low level invader?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verybad posted:

Dung Pies + Lloyd's Talismans. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Who hasn't been ganked personally by an SL1 invader? That's a thing that happens to everyone but acting like doing it is something to be proud of is dumb.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

CJacobs posted:

"Hahaha I killed that guy in one shot with my lightning avelyn!! It must have scared the poo poo out of him! That'll teach him to go human and gank newbies! Welcome to Dark Souls you twink!!! :mmmhmm:"

Fixed to something I have done before. I have no regrets.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Dung Pies + Lloyd's Talismans. :colbert:

I don't think you can 1-shot someone with a dung pie. :smug:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
-Rolling people to death in your thorny armour.
-Flame kicking people off the bridge.
-Backstabbing someone right after they stab the boar.
-Doing it all with the Xanthous head piece.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

superh posted:

That fulfills a valuable Dark Souls learning niche - "Don't go human if you don't mean to!"

SL1 invasions are so much fun, because -

Everyone you invade is higher level than you. Sure, there are some lowbies who get super scared but it's fun to be nice to them, cheer when they kill the black knight (then kill them.) Everyone else is either hanging out with summoned buddies or doing ~honorable sl120~ combat.

The sheer fact that the game is balanced enough at low level that you can singlehandedly wipe out a team of a target +2 phantoms and barely survive yourself makes it fun.

It's most fun to gently caress with newbies. I invaded the Parish and got a newbie (most likely, since he had Knight Shield) and his summon stuck in the area where you first encounter Balder Knights. Even when I went around and came at them from behind, they would not leave that spot.

Chas McGill posted:

-Rolling people to death in your thorny armour.
-Flame kicking people off the bridge.
-Backstabbing someone right after they stab the boar.
-Doing it all with the Xanthous head piece.

I never get thorn armor because I always forget to go human in the Depths. :smith:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

CJacobs posted:

Who hasn't been ganked personally by an SL1 invader? That's a thing that happens to everyone but acting like doing it is something to be proud of is dumb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

After all the things this game puts us through, haven't you ever felt the urge to just... dish it out yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

CJacobs posted:

People like you are the reason pvp sucks in MMO's now. Some of us are just plain bastards. Being an rear end in a top hat brings a certain satisfaction. Being the terrifying monster that destroys people in one hit is alright. Hell, the person being ganked doesn't even lose anything except some humanity and there are a suprising amount of low level twinks. I think I found way more well equipped foes than newbies when doing low level dickwraithing. Probably 80/20.

• Locked thread